PDA

View Full Version : Spaceship Icarus plans!

blackshire
01-02-2012, 04:03 AM
Hello All,

Luke Strawwalker inspired this thread, when he commented (in the "White Vulcan" thread) that the White Vulcan with a pointed nose cone resembled the spaceship in the original "Planet of the Apes" movies. This spaceship, called Icarus, would lend itself to cardstock construction, being an elliptical cross-section cone with "notched-in" windows, triangular cross-section "strake-type wings," and triangular cross-section "strake-type canards." Also:

Interestingly, its sharp-nosed shape is not terribly different from the shapes of the recent hypersonic boost-glide test vehicles, whose shapes have only recently been made practical by the development of new, exceptionally-tough, ceramic composite materials. Also, early tests of these new ceramic materials involved small strakes (similar in shape to those on Icarus) that were affixed to the re-entry vehicles of Minuteman III ICBMs that were launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base. Below are links to images of, information on, and plans for (with dimensioned drawings, see the third link) the Icarus spaceship. A model rocket version might make a decent, if fast-gliding, boost-glider. Here are the links:

http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicles/ApesShip/PofA01.html

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=original+planet+of+the+apes+spaceship&btnK=Google+Search&oq=&aq=&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=9a7e42afb475271b&biw=792&bih=377

http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicles/ApesShip/PofA01.html

http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicles/ApesShip/Sci-Fi&FantasyModels38/PofAsciFi&FantasyModels.html

I hope this information will be helpful.

mycrofte
01-02-2012, 04:34 AM
I am going to have to start on this today!

blackshire
01-02-2012, 05:01 AM
I am going to have to start on this today!
_________________________________Excellent! I found one "facto" (factual error) in my initial posting, though--the spaceship was never called Icarus (or anything other than the "crew capsule") in the original "Planet of the Apes" movies. The name "Icarus" was retroactively bestowed upon it by a fan and movie prop researcher based on these spaceships' habits of returning to crash on Earth, rather like the mythological Icarus! :-)

dlazarus6660
01-02-2012, 07:06 AM
Here is a paper "Icarus"

http://pota.goatley.com/paper-icarus/

Main Page:

http://www.ss42.com/pt-scifiction.html

blackshire
01-02-2012, 07:38 AM
Here is a paper "Icarus"

http://pota.goatley.com/paper-icarus/

Main Page:

http://www.ss42.com/pt-scifiction.htmlThank you for posting the links! Also, Lance Brick (creator of the paper Icarus model http://pota.goatley.com/paper-icarus/ ) mentioned that "While there are model kits out for this ship now; when I first started this endeavor, I wasn't aware of any." Those kits (either injection-molded, vacu-formed, or resin--he didn't say) might make PMC (Plastic Model Conversion) model rockets.

luke strawwalker
01-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Neat idea, blackshire... thanks for the credit... LOL:) It was late last night and I had a LLLLOOOONNNNGGGG drive back from Indiana, and I just plain couldn't think of the "Icarus" ship name... didn't even think to look it up online either... I'm just chillin' today...

Good link...
http://aliens.humlak.cz/aliens/aliens_papirove_modely/bonus-icarus-fiction_gb.html

Awhile back I was researching the Icarus and came up with several sites, but I'm having trouble finding them now... I know I bookmarked them but one of these days I really need to go in and sort through my bookmarks... :rolleyes:

I remember there was an interesting discussion that the Icarus we saw in the original POTA (Planet Of The Apes) movies were actually configured differently than what we saw on screen... including additional booster/descent/landing stages and such that were either "submerged" in the lake shots of the original "Icarus" when Taylor and Co. bailed out in the original movie, or were burned up in "damaged Icarus" shown in the second movie that Brent and "Skipper" landed in the desert in... or jettisoned before reentry or shortly before landing according to the ship seen in the the third movie that Zira, Cornelius, and Milo took back to 20th century Earth... There was even a website that showed a four or five stage "nuclear Saturn V" type rocket that was purportedly used to launch the Icarus and get it up to interstellar speeds...

I'll have to keep checking for those websites and post the links...

Later! OL JR :)

dlazarus6660
01-03-2012, 08:07 PM
Another Icarus Model with more detail.

http://aliens.humlak.cz/aliens/aliens_papirove_modely_gb.htm

Click on the box below the 2.2 moon on the right hand side.

It has the Icarus and a booster model.

I did click on the link and it is safe.

Doug Sams
01-03-2012, 08:13 PM
I am going to have to start on this today!When you fly your Icarus, make sure you don't fly it too high or too low :D:D:D

Doug

blackshire
01-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Neat idea, blackshire... thanks for the credit... LOL:) It was late last night and I had a LLLLOOOONNNNGGGG drive back from Indiana, and I just plain couldn't think of the "Icarus" ship name... didn't even think to look it up online either... I'm just chillin' today...You're welcome!Good link...
http://aliens.humlak.cz/aliens/aliens_papirove_modely/bonus-icarus-fiction_gb.html

Awhile back I was researching the Icarus and came up with several sites, but I'm having trouble finding them now... I know I bookmarked them but one of these days I really need to go in and sort through my bookmarks... :rolleyes:

I remember there was an interesting discussion that the Icarus we saw in the original POTA (Planet Of The Apes) movies were actually configured differently than what we saw on screen... including additional booster/descent/landing stages and such that were either "submerged" in the lake shots of the original "Icarus" when Taylor and Co. bailed out in the original movie, or were burned up in "damaged Icarus" shown in the second movie that Brent and "Skipper" landed in the desert in... or jettisoned before reentry or shortly before landing according to the ship seen in the the third movie that Zira, Cornelius, and Milo took back to 20th century Earth... There was even a website that showed a four or five stage "nuclear Saturn V" type rocket that was purportedly used to launch the Icarus and get it up to interstellar speeds...

I'll have to keep checking for those websites and post the links...

Later! OL JR :)That's a good site above, and I saw the other Icarus site that you're referring to "about two computers ago..." It covered the complete "starship package" of which the Icarus was a planetary EDL (Entry/Descent/Landing) "boat" for landing on planets with sensible atmospheres and returning to rejoin the starship in orbit after surface sorties. The thing I like about the Icarus design (besides its aesthetics) is its realism--an actual vehicle built for those purposes might very well look much like Icarus, especially now that new ceramic composites that make high-lift, sharp-nosed lifting entry vehicles practical have been developed and successfully tested.

blackshire
01-03-2012, 08:44 PM
Another Icarus Model with more detail.

http://aliens.humlak.cz/aliens/aliens_papirove_modely_gb.htm

Click on the box below the 2.2 moon on the right hand side.

It has the Icarus and a booster model.

I did click on the link and it is safe.I'm not seeing what you referred to above (I don't know what a "2.2 moon" is, and the open box below the blue planet image on the left side of the "screen-page" doesn't do anything when clicked on); however, I did find this nice original artwork poster of Icarus (see: http://aliens.humlak.cz/aliens/aliens_papirove_modely/home/news/AP09-2-500.jpg ) when I scrolled down to the bottom of the "screen-page."

mycrofte
01-04-2012, 08:35 AM
OK, I have completed the third and final prototype. I am currently building a color , and hopefully finished, version.

Having looked through several images on the internet, I went with the simplest scheme. Even the screen shots appear different colors at different angles. Either that or some were publicity shot before the movie was filmed...
_____

PS. the closest nose cone I could find at Semroc was the BC-739. That is the hardest part to make from cardstock.

Rocketflyer
01-04-2012, 08:56 AM
Interesting link.

http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/RukrIcarus-CatalogPage.htm

Note the different version of the Icarus. There is also an "X-15" type birds on a booster in there.

dlazarus6660
01-04-2012, 06:14 PM
OK, Try this.

Open my link above, see the top, middle of the link(header) says "Alien Papercraft."

To the right of the header says "2.2 version."

Below that(2.2 version) the box says "Banner Menu", click on it.

A new window will open, click on "Bonus Models", then "Icarus Fiction"

There is "sound" on some of the links so watch your volume.

mycrofte
01-05-2012, 03:11 AM
Yeah, the guy is some kind of nerd that made it way over complicated. Took me three tries to figure out where to go.
_____

mycrofte
01-05-2012, 05:33 AM
OK, I have a workable rocket now.

blackshire
01-05-2012, 05:54 AM
OK, Try this.

Open my link above, see the top, middle of the link(header) says "Alien Papercraft."

To the right of the header says "2.2 version."

Below that(2.2 version) the box says "Banner Menu", click on it.

A new window will open, click on "Bonus Models", then "Icarus Fiction"

There is "sound" on some of the links so watch your volume.Got it! Thank you for posting these directions to those movie stills and model photos.

blackshire
01-05-2012, 05:58 AM
__________A beauty--it captures the original's lines and essence very well! With some trepidation, I ask...how does it glide? (I liken the Icarus' atmospheric flying proclivities to the opening credits of "The Six Million Dollar Man," except that the crew are in hibernation until they're very rudely awakened...) :-)

mycrofte
01-05-2012, 07:39 AM
I haven't tried to glide it yet. Still looking for a 9" tube to run through it.
_______

luke strawwalker
01-05-2012, 10:59 AM

LOL on that last pic...

Don't want to see that on recovery...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9MxTRspXpQ :chuckle:

Later! OL JR :)

mycrofte
01-05-2012, 03:13 PM
I found someone's vacations pictures from Lake Powell for that.

Thought someone here might like to try one. Maybe even make some improvements.
_______

dlazarus6660
01-05-2012, 06:35 PM
Thank you for the Icarus.

Page one, rear pieces, which is the top, bottom?

BTW. if you build the Icarus or Vulcan, run a bead of thin CA along the (inside) fold line of the fin and wings.

mycrofte
01-06-2012, 04:55 AM
It doesn't really matter. I made the gray part as a kind of shading that should go on the top side.

I am hoping someone will build it. It is different when you design something because you know what you had in mind. Someone else might see it different and not turn out right. Specially when dealing with mistakes...

I'll have to try the CA. I thought about a bead of Elmer's, but ink jet ink tends to run and smear with to much water based glue. It wasn't until my final build I got that to a minimum...

dlazarus6660
01-07-2012, 08:01 AM
I'm gonna try tonight to start on this model.

See pic

John Brohm
01-07-2012, 08:29 AM
I'm gonna try tonight to start on this model.

See pic

I must say you guys are coming up with a really nice interpretation of the Icarus. I've been watching this thread, and looking forward to flight report.

Watching this, however, got me thinking that I had an Icarus of some kind around here, and after some rummaging around the vault, I dug out the model that you see below. But for this thread I would have forgotten that I had the thing. If there's something in the box that could be photographed to help you, just let me know.

dlazarus6660
01-07-2012, 08:43 AM
I must say you guys are coming up with a really nice interpretation of the Icarus. I've been watching this thread, and looking forward to flight report.

Watching this, however, got me thinking that I had an Icarus of some kind around here, and after some rummaging around the vault, I dug out the model that you see below. But for this thread I would have forgotten that I had the thing. If there's something in the box that could be photographed to help you, just let me know.

Ooo, Thats nice John!

Wanna trade for another model? hehe!

Anyway, I'm not trying to hijack this thread, please tell if I am, but I started build the Icarus right now. I cut the body out and glued on the connecting strip.
I like an even seem so I extended the binding seem out the same width and cut it off and glue it to the inside body.

To be continued...

dlazarus6660
01-07-2012, 05:01 PM
More work done.

mycrofte
01-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Don't worry about hijacking. I can use all the feedback I can get.

Sometimes I prefer a flush seam as well. Also, I cut my tail stiffener out of foam-core just because it was handy. idea if it will hold up...
______

blackshire
01-07-2012, 11:27 PM
Don't worry about hijacking. I can use all the feedback I can get.

Sometimes I prefer a flush seam as well. Also, I cut my tail stiffener out of foam-core just because it was handy. idea if it will hold up...
______If you sandwich the foam between two sheets of cardstock (which should be quite stiff even with thin foam sheet), it should handle the re-circulating plume from a motor, especially if sprayed with a few thin, fast-drying layers of clear enamel or clear acrylic paint on the outward-facing side.

dlazarus6660
01-08-2012, 04:40 PM
I noticed the red and blue stripes on the body are on both inside of the wing fins and the rudder fin. It would be nice to save a little ink.

mycrofte
01-08-2012, 04:51 PM
I'll get on that after the game. AKA watch the Steelers get robbed by the refs!
_________

dlazarus6660
01-08-2012, 05:54 PM
I did more this evening, glueing the wings and upeer and lower fins on. I need a BT-20 so I have not glued the rear former on yet. I'm using an Estes BT-20 Ogive N/C instead of the paper one provided.

mycrofte
01-09-2012, 03:18 AM
Looks better than mine!

The nose cone is only there because I didn't have one handy.

Thought I would ask your opinion of the rear piece inset distance?

And, if the belly scoop might be better in two halves to strengthen it?
____

mycrofte
01-09-2012, 05:10 AM
Here is a revised fuselage with less color.
____

dlazarus6660
01-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Looks better than mine!

Thought I would ask your opinion of the rear piece inset distance?

And, if the belly scoop might be better in two halves to strengthen it?
____
Thanks!

If it is about .75" it's fine. Could use the re-entry engine nozzels.
Also, the reaction control engine nozzels for both forward and rear wing positions.
Anf forward fins.

No, leave it and use super glue on the inside of the fold lines, it stiffen things up.

Have you seen this site?

http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicles/ApesShip/Sci-Fi&FantasyModels38/PofAsciFi&FantasyModels.html

mycrofte
01-10-2012, 05:41 PM
I left off the canards because I wasn't sure if they would work. Either they might rip off or make it go out of control if placed slightly off. That, and to keep it simple lines like the Vulcan.
_________

dlazarus6660
01-11-2012, 04:20 PM
I'm gonna do it. I can use the top fin and make two. You could make it an option.

mycrofte
01-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I've got a set for a regular cardstock model Icarus.

I didn't care for the aft end of the one online, so I made it like the drawings/rocket version.
______

dlazarus6660
01-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Yeah, I've got a set for a regular cardstock model Icarus.

I didn't care for the aft end of the one online, so I made it like the drawings/rocket version.
______

Post them or E-mail them to me please.

mycrofte
01-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Here is what I have handy! Haven't got the shading down yet but it works. And not sure the nozzles go right either. Never designed or made them before.
____

mycrofte
01-13-2012, 06:53 AM
Here is a revised page 3 of the rocket version (including canards).
____

dlazarus6660
01-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Thank you for the new parts. Not sure how to assemble them. :confused: :o

Love to know how to do this.
I have a project in mind that is way over my head to design. I'm trying to combine several different projects to make this model.
Interested?

mycrofte
01-13-2012, 04:46 PM
I forget sometimes that I have been figuring out other people's cardstock models for several years. So, what seems obvious to me, may not to another.

But, I am always willing to try something!
___

dlazarus6660
01-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Here is what I would like to see in paper as a a flyable rocket.
I started to build the F-15 Eagle fuse but found it would not work out.

mycrofte
01-17-2012, 03:09 PM
I looked at it. Might take a while for that one!
______

dlazarus6660
02-04-2012, 07:24 AM
I placed the wing end plugs in the other day. I wonder if an additional part of the top fin would help reinforce the fin?

mycrofte?

One more thing on the wing end caps, you may want to move one of the gray shading lines to the opposite side, in which you have a left and a right.

Great model, I can't wait to fly it.

mycrofte
02-04-2012, 09:18 AM
You mean to add an end cap to the top fin? I think I left it open to give it a Vulcan feel to it.

But I added end caps to the wings to keep them from bulging and misshaping as cardstock will do.
_________

dlazarus6660
02-04-2012, 07:38 PM
It is an Icarus, not a Vulcan, in fact, the Icarus came first so the Vulcan is an offshoot of the Icarus. :chuckle:

Can I have a tailcap please? :p

Did I tell you this is a great model? :rolleyes:

Oh, I almost forgot, this IS your model and that you did a great job desiging it! :D

BTW...., This post should be taken as lightly as possible! : ;)

blackshire
02-04-2012, 08:15 PM
As an alternative, an open, flat cardstock "A" frame or triangle frame would stiffen the "vertical stabilizer wedge strake" while leaving the rear of it open. This would not only save weight, but would also leave open the possibility of later installing (if desired) a second motor mount tube (for a 6 mm or 13 mm motor) atop the fuselage, within the strake. Such a booster motor (not necessarily a zero-delay motor, although they would work for this application) would help overcome the blunt-tailed model's base drag, and (if the motor mount tube was plugged in front) the motor would eject itself, giving another slight boost and giving the model a proper glide CG.

mycrofte
02-05-2012, 12:26 AM
I'll try to get on that.

Been working on Revolutionary War maps for my brother. Very time consuming!

mycrofte
02-05-2012, 04:59 AM
Here are some corrected Icarus PDF files. Let me know how they work!

That is assuming, with the mess that folder has become, that I grabbed the right files...

dlazarus6660
02-05-2012, 07:37 PM
You did all of this before breakfast!

Your Unbeliveable!

And your doing the Reveloutionary War for your brother.

Do you do family protraits? Just a joke! :p

mycrofte
02-06-2012, 02:04 AM
Well, we get up at 2am.

dlazarus6660
02-07-2012, 07:09 PM
What time do you go to bed?

mycrofte
02-08-2012, 01:09 AM
Normally about 8pm.

What is now yesterday evening, we took a late nap. So, I am up at 1am getting ready for bed!

The type of maps I am doing are very exhausting (mentally). Not your typical hand drawn stuff.
_________

dlazarus6660
02-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Neat.
Looks like a lot of work!
Nice Job.

mycrofte
03-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Well, did anyone ever finish an Icarus?

I was hoping for some feedback...

dlazarus6660
03-10-2012, 10:07 AM
You mean beside me? I'm just waiting for nicer weather and dryer conditions to launch my Icarus.

mycrofte
03-10-2012, 02:10 PM
I think you are the only one who built one. I was hoping for more...

I've built a couple during development. But, since I know how I designed it, I might be accounting for mistakes without realizing it. So, it helps if others build it from a different point of view.
_________

dlazarus6660
03-25-2012, 07:43 AM
I launched my Icarus to the delite of all those in attendance of MMMS.
It wobbled all the way up, must be a design thingy.

mycrofte
03-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Glad to hear it finally got to fly!

What engine did you use?

Are there any similar delta designs (other than the Vulcan) that do or don't wobble? Might be the ram scoop on the bottom though. Or just a CG/CP issue...

dlazarus6660
03-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Glad to hear it finally got to fly!

What engine did you use?

Are there any similar delta designs (other than the Vulcan) that do or don't wobble? Might be the ram scoop on the bottom though. Or just a CG/CP issue...

I went with a B6-4 and a streamer for recovery. I need to look at the Vulcan plans again to see what it used for recovery.

I used just a tad over an ounce of weight, it rattles real nice (sinkers in the nose cone)!

Just a tad of damage on a fin tip.

I do not like the BT-20 size tube for stuffing a chute. I might try to upscale this bird to a BT-50.

dlazarus6660
03-25-2012, 05:20 PM
Bad video,but video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f4Z9ciLR70&feature=youtu.be

mycrofte
03-26-2012, 05:47 AM
Looked like it dropped pretty fast in the video. Was your streamer short or not unfurled completely?

dlazarus6660
03-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Yaeh it was short and paired up(two). I did not have cray paper with me and did not have a chute small enough.

mycrofte
04-12-2012, 12:39 PM
My BC-739 nose cones came in! They are 0.05" over for a BT-20, but are sanded down to fit. Now to get them painted and ready to launch.

mycrofte
07-03-2012, 04:48 AM
First flight in Champaign was successful. Went higher than I expected.