PDA

View Full Version : Wadding

Bob Thomas
08-15-2006, 01:52 AM
I went through a ton (maybe just a gallon) of cotton-ball type wadding on some Scout flights this weekend. Stuff never seems to return for re-use. Don't much like the idea of it turning up in someone elses garden, or pool (even worse). Have heard of using lettuce (probably acts like a water-laden cargo), but I would rather eat it. Maybe stale popcorn, seriously, nobody wants to eat that! I use nomex on the larger scales, but what are safe alternatives for smaller rockets. Teflon pom-poms too much labor. Ideas are welcome.

dwmzmm
08-15-2006, 08:18 AM
I see a lot of fellow rocketeers in the Houston and east Texas areas using "dog barf" that can be bought very cheaply at home building supply stores (Home Depot, Lowes, etc) and
they'll last for years... I still prefer to stick with the standard Estes tissue wadding due to
the fact that counting the "squares" makes for an excellent "measuring" tool depending
on the diameter of the rocket's bodytube. Plus, on some of the "larger" diameter model
rockets (like the now OOP Phoenix, or other BT-80 size models), the wad of wadding usually
falls fairly close to the model on recovery, and I make a point to recover the used wadding
as well for reuse. In comparison, dog barf will "snow" down on you and others depending
where you are; I've seen dog barf raining down for several minutes on occassions...

Phred
08-15-2006, 08:42 AM
I have lots of 'dog barf, estes wadding, and quest. I prefer the ESTES as well. It is just my preference I guess.....I use the almost weekly Michael's coupons to buy wadding at 40% off list.

Phred

Tweener
08-15-2006, 08:59 AM
I like the Quest blue colored wadding. The larger, stiffer squares makes it easier to seal to the tube sides on larger diameter rockets like my Big Daddy. Of course, I prefer Estes wadding for mini engine and small diameter 18mm rockets. I've never really tried anything else.

ghrocketman
08-15-2006, 11:41 AM
In the past I used toilet paper or paper towel due to much lower cost, but the ignitability/smoldering factor got me away from it. I now use either Estes wadding, Nomex heat shields, baffles, or Dawg Barf.
I only use the Estes wadding from the flite-paks, I never buy it, as the price (even with the 40% off Hobby Lobby and Michael's coupons) is downright asinine for the amount of product supplied.
One thing I have tried recently is one/two squares of flame proof estes wadding on top of paper toweling in the larger models; it has worked well so far for over a dozen launches....the flameproof wadding protects the paper towel from igniting, which protects the chute.
Although this works, dawg barf either alone or in combo with a baffle is much less hassle.

stefanj
08-15-2006, 01:13 PM
Does anyone know what gookum Estes puts on its wadding to make it flame-proof?

I once read that it was a borax mixture.

If the stuff is easy to make, I'd like to use it to make paper towels into wadding, for big models.

Bob Thomas
08-15-2006, 03:06 PM
I had seen a spray during the Xmas season for Xmas trees. Supposed to spray it on to deter fires. Now that I'm back into rocketry, I can't seem to find it anywhere (have to wait til the season). I had thoughts on the same thing - paper towel ply. If it works - no more wadding worries. If there are more readily available (inexpensive) fire retardant chemicals (non-toxic, non-carcinogenic) I would love to here about it.

ghrocketman
08-15-2006, 03:26 PM
Non-toxic, non-carcinogenic fire retardants ?? :rolleyes:
You are joking right ?
Most chemicals that do their intended purpose well are no good for human exposure/consumption.
This is true of most fire retardants, and is ESPECIALLY true of any of the decent WORKING/LONG LASTING insecticides of the past (of which virtually all have been banned :mad: ) Fortunately I stockpiled most of what I call "the good ones" just before they were banned ! :D :D
Personal use of most insecticides is grandfathered for several years after their sale becomes illegal.
Not sure about what commercial fire retardants are still available for personal use, but I do know most of the insecticides sold today are chrysanthemum-derived RUBBISH not worth the bottle they are contained in. The only really good ones left to the non-commercial public are Methoxychlor, Vapona (also known as DDVP and is very hard to find other than at TSC stores), Sevin, and Malathion.
Most chemicals (just like AP rocket propellant) that really WORK well have a certain DANGER component associated with them

stefanj
08-15-2006, 04:24 PM
I looked it up myself. This recipe was given for making Halloween costumes fire-retardant:

Borax, 7 oz.
Boric acid, 3 oz.
Water, 3 quarts.

I'm going to start with that. I'll dry the dipped sheets on a laundry rack.

Boric acid is a drugstore type chemical, used as a disinfectant; borax is used for blasting out laundry stains.

Ltvscout
08-15-2006, 05:40 PM
Does anyone know what gookum Estes puts on its wadding to make it flame-proof?

I once read that it was a borax mixture.

If the stuff is easy to make, I'd like to use it to make paper towels into wadding, for big models.
Boric Acid. That's what I recall Vern saying when someone asked him this question at NARCON 2005.

tripleup05
08-15-2006, 10:35 PM
Not to steal the thread, but could somebody enlighten me on these 40% off coupons? Do they work on engines, too? This isn't the most expensive hobby ever, but at over a $1 per engine, it adds up...Hello to everyone by the way. This looks like a cool forum

ghrocketman
08-15-2006, 10:50 PM
Yes, Hobby Lobby and Michael's 40% off coupons work on engines too....I usually use them to buy Blast-off flite paks or "E" engines.
Michael's even accepts JoAnn coupons too !
They almost NEVER have any kits I would want, thus I ALWAYS use them for engines.

barone
08-15-2006, 11:10 PM
Not to steal the thread, but could somebody enlighten me on these 40% off coupons? Do they work on engines, too? This isn't the most expensive hobby ever, but at over a $1 per engine, it adds up...Hello to everyone by the way. This looks like a cool forum

Welcome to the forum! The coupons are good for any single item at regular price. The Hobby Lobby coupons are only available on-line but you can print out more than one (one coupon per day per visit and three Hobby Lobbys in my area :) ) Check out the Hobby Lobby Strikes Again Thread. The Michael's coupon is in their sales mailings (usually first page but sometimes on back) so you only get one coupon (unless neighbors and friends will give you theirs ;) ). Hobby Lobby motor prices are normally less than Michaels (at least in my area, same price as Wal-Mart) but the Blast Paks can only be had at Michael's (again in my area). And to echo gh, Michael's normally doesn't have a supply of rockets that I'd want at a discount so the blast pak is the thing to get. Except, the last pak I got only had motor plugs for A8s. :mad:

Don
NAR 53455

Bob Thomas
08-16-2006, 01:31 AM
Borax jacked with straight Boric Acid. Sounds like it will cover a few rolls. If you try it real soon, I hope you will give us a review.