PDA

View Full Version : 1st year bagged Mars Lander didn't get what Danny Almond wanted for it

Cohetero-negro
05-20-2012, 08:01 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221023500329?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I guess he had his reserve just a bit too high?

Jonathan

gerryfortin
05-20-2012, 11:48 PM
Always good to test the waters and use eBay to market this type of original kit. I'm a potential buyer if anyone knows Danny's email address.

Cohetero-negro
05-21-2012, 12:36 AM
Always good to test the waters and use eBay to market this type of original kit. I'm a potential buyer if anyone knows Danny's email address.

Yes, not bad for an appraisal ... you spend $5 - $10 in ebay fees by placing a high reserve on the kit to see what the market will spend for it ... you are correct!

Jonathan

Ltvscout
05-21-2012, 08:54 AM
You can use the eBay system. Just choose to ask the seller a question and choose Other for your reason.

ghrocketman
05-21-2012, 08:56 AM
That price it got to was INSANE. Ten years ago I actually BUILT a NIB bagged first-year Mars Lander and did not even give it a thought. He should have taken the money and considered himself VERY LUCKY. Eventually these prices are going to crash very hard once many of the old timers die off. The next generation just will not see anywhere near the value in these kits.

Cohetero-negro
05-21-2012, 09:11 AM
You can use the eBay system. Just choose to ask the seller a question and choose Other for your reason.

What Scott said.

Also to add: you are better off using ebay/paypal for your transaction given the dollar amounts you are spending. Yes it might cost yo u$100+ more for that kit, but with the current rules in place over at e-pal, you are more likely in the end to have what you expect or get your money back.

$500+ for a 1st year Mars Lander, you better use the e-pal system to guarantee you get your kit in the pristine condition ... remember one man's "Mint-Mint" can easily be another man's "Garbage-Garbage"! The pics look good, but a vast majority of his kits were stored improperly and ... well caveat emptor :)

Jonathan

Cohetero-negro
05-21-2012, 09:27 AM
That price it got to was INSANE. Ten years ago I actually BUILT a NIB bagged first-year Mars Lander and did not even give it a thought. He should have taken the money and considered himself VERY LUCKY. Eventually these prices are going to crash very hard once many of the old timers die off. The next generation just will not see anywhere near the value in these kits.

GH,

Believe it or not; I have one of the largest if not THE largest collection of 1959 - ~1980 collections and I COMPLETELY agree with you!

This is why I have been trying to find some museum to take this collection of my hands.

Having my name assigned to the collection in an OFFICIAL context is FAR FAR FAR more valuable to me going forward than just posting pictures of storage units or shelves of kits here on this web site.

500 years from now, it would be AWESOME to have the , "Jonathan Dunbar Model Rocket Collection" at one of the Smithsonian museums or some science museum somewhere.

The prices really are ... well how do I put this as to not alienate myself any further from people who collect and still tolerate my banter ... prices are a bit too unrealistic. :o

We have had this discussion every 6 months or so on this site; what you do with your money as long as it was legally and morally earned is your business! You want to use $100 bills to light your $20 cigars, then that is your business!

Now if Danny had had a regular auction, I would have high bid about what the reserve amount fetched knowing full well I would never get that money back. Instead, I would have used the kit to trade for other kits.

e.g., If I had the kit to trade, I would want for the Mars Lander the following: 1 mint sealed Mars Snooper + 1 Mint sealed Skydart or 1 Mint Gliding Bomarc + Cineroc or 1 Mint GT-3 + 1 Mint Gooney Bird ... your opinions will vary :)

But I also have the feeling that 50 years from now, there will be two people who have 'model rocket fever' and deep pockets. These two individuals may enter into a bidding war on ebay and a similar kit might sell for over $2,000.00! While most people would have moved on to the 'flava-flave' of the year in 2062, there will be people who will want this 100+ year old space related stuff and that is sure to drop some jaws should the world reach 2062 ;)

I don't know dude ... look people, men, were willing to pay for spray on hair (Christmas tree flocking) and pet rocks so you might as well assume they will pay hundreds for an obscure out of production model rocket kit!

Its all very stressful in the end ...

Jonathan

Cohetero-negro
05-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Could this seller be from the future:

http://www.amazon.com/ESTES-SATURN-FLYING-ROCKET-Original/dp/B004BKVG9O/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1337610747&sr=1-1

And is $1500.00 for a mint sealed Sat 1b TOO much to ask for ... not with the recent end prices on ebay it isn't!

If I could only build a time machine and take my rockets with me into the future ...

Jonathan

carbons4
05-21-2012, 10:56 AM
That collection is worth a lot to those of us that grew up with them but after we are all gone what will it be worth? Rockets, toys, cars, motorcycles, etc.... its the stuff we all have fond memories of that we did not have as a kid or want another because ours is torn up or long gone. The new generation will not think they are as cool as we did or do. It's sad but it is like I pointed out to my wife at Narcon. I ask her what the average age of the people that were there. "Our age or older" was the response. Then I told her what the average age I thought was the last time I was at a national event, Naram19. A whole lot younger because a lot of the people that were there were 35 years younger. I did see a few fathers bring their kids and I do see some younger kids at our local launches but between science classes going downhill and not having much of a space program, no offense Matt, the interest from younger just is not there. I hope it changes.

Cohetero-negro
05-21-2012, 12:24 PM
If I were a child today, what would my collectibles be?

Play Station 3
iPod
iPad
Xbox
facebook
Smart phone

Pretty lame in my opinion. Here is what I grew up with:

Model Rockets
G.I. Joe with the 'Kung Fu' Grip
Super Elastic Bubble plastic
Scooby Doo
Transformers
Hotwheels - Sizzlers
Lego
Pong
Intellivision
Kites
Control Line Planes
Slot cars
Trains
Frisbie
Board Games
Micronauts
Stamp Collecting
Big Wheels
Play Doh and Super Putty
And those were off the top of my head with very little thought or memory recall!

Being a child really must suck in today's world...

Jonathan

carbons4
05-21-2012, 12:32 PM
"ooooh you had a playstation before they were numbered"???? "oooh you have Doom with a chicken gun"?????? "ooooh you have that _____ DOWNLOAD"?
from a old guys standpoint, just sad.

carbons4
05-21-2012, 12:44 PM
My brothers Chemestry set
My brothers Erector set
Tog-L
Lincoln Logs
Tinker toys
GI Joe (with mercury space capsule and plastic hair)
cap guns
bb guns
Major Matt Mason
20" bike with redline slik
model rockets
home made mini bike
home made go kart
home made cannons
u control airplane

Cohetero-negro
05-21-2012, 12:46 PM
No you are right on target ... except for the health and life span that children have, there is NOTING else I covet about them. I feel sorry for them.

When I was a kid, Saturday mornings was our 'Mecca' all the shows, live action, cartoon, cartoon-live action:

Lidsville
H.R. Puff-in-stuff
Buggaloos
Scooby Doo
Shazzam-Isis Hour
Thundar the Barbarian
Jason of Space Command
Kroft Superstars - Dr. Shrinker, Wonder Bug, Sigmond the Sea Monsters
Ark II
The Batman - Superman Hour
The Banana Splits - There is an equally entertaining show on called the Aquabats! Check your service provider and watch it with your Grandkids!
Jossie and the Pussy cats ... and Scott your software had better not block that!
Bird Man
Space Ghost
Frankenstien Jr.
The Impossibles
The Galaxy Trio
Johnny Quest
He-Man
Transformers
G.I. Joe a REAL American hero!
She-Ra
Herculoids
The Jetsons
The Flintstones
G-Force
Robotech
...again just off the top of my head, no real effort in recalling these shows!

I'm sorry but 'My Little Pony', 'Care Bears', and 'Strawberry Shortcake' do not count!

We, the Gen-X'ers, had it good!

Jonathan

Cohetero-negro
05-21-2012, 12:52 PM
Captain Power and the Soldiers of the future
Jabber Jaws
Blue Falcon and Dynomut
Mighty Man and his Dog yuck!
Land of the Lost
The Lone Ranger
Batman
Green Hornet
The Adventures of Superman
Mightor
Speed Racer
Sea Lab
Godzilla
UFO
Thunderbirds
Captain Scarlet

My god, where did it all go?! Where?!

Jonathan

carbons4
05-21-2012, 01:21 PM
priced to own DVD............

jetlag
05-21-2012, 01:26 PM
I remember those Captain Scarlet episodes now! Thanks, Jonathan!

I was only eight when they were on; they aired on Sunday in time to watch before going to church. Came on right after the Clemson Extension Service Agriculture Report.

I'll have to make a list....

Allen

Cohetero-negro
05-21-2012, 01:27 PM
HA!

I just noticed I hijacked my own thread!!!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CdocFnegjE0/S_sy_qxzsaI/AAAAAAAAA04/oz68fe2h3Lw/s320/blazingsaddles_05.jpg

Jonathan

"Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, but it expressed a courage that is little seen in this day and age." — Olson Johnson (David Huddleson)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ke5Mr5eCF2U

carbons4
05-21-2012, 01:33 PM
B**** Bunny Road Runner hour (how many of us got our classical music training from watching it)?..... and learned what NOT to do from Wile E?

Banana Splits....... Always loved those 6 wheel ATV's

Johnny Quest......... what sound do the guns make??? Po-car Po car.....

Hot wheels TV show probably one of the first shows based on a toy.

Fat Albert (if your not careful,you might learn something)

Yea I watched the Monkees............

After that away for a day of play.....

Might catch racing on Wide World of Sports or American Sportsman when you came in to get a drink of water in late afternoon.

gerryfortin
05-21-2012, 04:13 PM
Just a few simple questions concerning our hobby and humor me for a moment.

Who is buying Estes rocket kits today and why does Estes remain in business?

Will the world's space exploration program become obsolete in the next 10 years?

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-21-2012, 05:05 PM
I am. I also buy motors.

naoto
05-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Supposedly a lot of older computer hardware has the possibility of being collector's items, as most were simply discarded when their useful lifetime was over.

Not sure if a vintage TRS-80 Model I microcomputer is a collector's item or not (since just over 200,000 were sold). Acquired it from a college professor I knew. Didn't have the original shipping box, but I did get the manual and BASIC tutorial book. Also got the original Tandy portable cassette player and a smallish library of programs on cassette tape (ah, the days of software packaged in "zip-loc" bags and a manual duplicated on a Ditto machine).

Unfortunately I couldn't convince one other professor to part with his IMSAI 8080 and Alitair 8800.... At least I did quickly get on his good side by being one of the handful of students who recognized the hardware sitting on a shelf in his office. I did jokingly offered to give them a good home if he wanted to get rid of them (obviously he refused).

The unfortuante thing about vintage model kits is that by their nature of being model kits, they call out to be built (which unfortunately reduces their value as a collectable).... (it's sort'a like that the old "Twilight Zone" episode with the slit machine* that calls out to the guy) I'm really glad for seeing a bunch of "repli-clone" kits being made available.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fever_%28The_Twilight_Zone%29

Cohetero-negro
05-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Just a few simple questions concerning our hobby and humor me for a moment.

Will the world's space exploration program become obsolete in the next 10 years?

I will answer to the best of my ability below:

People who like the shape, sound, and fun of rockets.

Estes has other rights and in roads to model rocketry and other hobbies/toys. It can still used as a teaching aide.

I think Michael Fritz over at Estes did a study back in the 90's and that is when Estes did a turn towards RTF stuff. Wasn't he the guy placing medals around the necks of people who placed at NARAM 52? Who was that guy? I actually know just a handful of people on a first name basis in the hobby... must work on that.

Likely no, and America due to its shear size and ability to throw money at problems/projects will be the world's leader ... maybe. I am hearing rumblings that our currency is about to be flushed and the EU is breaking apart ... that might have an impact on anything space for a while ... China is looking great and we might be flying their official party line kits soon enough.

Jonathan

tbzep
05-21-2012, 05:28 PM
Here is what I grew up with:
I grew up with sticks and dirt clods....I couldn't afford rocks.

Cohetero-negro
05-21-2012, 05:37 PM

Please understand, those were the toys of my era and NOT the toys that I owned ... night and day difference ... there were a few Christmases where I was given ABSOLUTELY nothing and this was done on purpose while other members received items. It was a very loving and nurturing household that I escaped...

Many a time I would thumb through the Sears catalog and pretend that I owned everything. I would go outside and tell the neighborhood kids, that I got an Atari or Intellivision, but that was a lie to hide my embarrassment of not receiving anything.

I used to steal all the time ... small things, jacks, yo-yo's ... anything I could fit into my pocket ... well I earn a living and have a lot of junk now ... still doesn't bring me the happiness I thought it would...

What is that saying, 'I'm not rich, but my friends are!' ;)

Jonathan

Earl
05-21-2012, 11:07 PM
Please understand, those were the toys of my era and NOT the toys that I owned ... night and day difference ... there were a few Christmases where I was given ABSOLUTELY nothing and this was done on purpose while other members received items. It was a very loving and nurturing household that I escaped...

Many a time I would thumb through the Sears catalog and pretend that I owned everything. I would go outside and tell the neighborhood kids, that I got an Atari or Intellivision, but that was a lie to hide my embarrassment of not receiving anything.

I used to steal all the time ... small things, jacks, yo-yo's ... anything I could fit into my pocket ... well I earn a living and have a lot of junk now ... still doesn't bring me the happiness I thought it would...

What is that saying, 'I'm not rich, but my friends are!' ;)

Jonathan

I still prize my very first model rocket - a Centuri Screaming Eagle starter set - (still in my collection from 1976) more than my two unbuilt 1/45th Little Joe IIs. That $10 for that set back then was much more sacrificial on my meager cash than the Little Joes were 30 something years later.

Earl

luke strawwalker
05-21-2012, 11:11 PM

EXACTLY!!! Thank you!

"A fool and their money are soon parted... :)"

OL JR :)

luke strawwalker
05-21-2012, 11:14 PM
GH,

We have had this discussion every 6 months or so on this site; what you do with your money as long as it was legally and morally earned is your business! You want to use $100 bills to light your $20 cigars, then that is your business!

Jonathan

Have to agree with this even if some things are just crazy... as long as it's legal, it's THEIR money to "waste" as they see fit...

Sometimes we lose sight of that I think...

One more thing this country needs... a WHOLE HEAPIN' BIG DOSE of MYODB... (mind yer own D@mn business!)

Later! OL JR :)

luke strawwalker
05-21-2012, 11:19 PM
Captain Power and the Soldiers of the future
Jabber Jaws
Blue Falcon and Dynomut
Mighty Man and his Dog yuck!
Land of the Lost
The Lone Ranger
Batman
Green Hornet
The Adventures of Superman
Mightor
Speed Racer
Sea Lab
Godzilla
UFO
Thunderbirds
Captain Scarlet

My god, where did it all go?! Where?!

Jonathan

You forgot "Tom and Jerry" and "Mighty Mouse"...

Not to mention "The Flintstones"...

carbons4
05-22-2012, 07:40 AM
I am. Mostly motors. E's F's and G's from Hobby lobby with 40 off cupons and NO hazmatBS shipping. I am waiting for the new Pro series Nike Smoke. As for the rest....... I am buying Estes,the old stuff.

carbons4
05-22-2012, 08:05 AM
"Not sure if a vintage TRS-80 Model I microcomputer is a collector's item or not (since just over 200,000 were sold). Acquired it from a college professor I knew. Didn't have the original shipping box, but I did get the manual and BASIC tutorial book. Also got the original Tandy portable cassette player and a smallish library of programs on cassette tape (ah, the days of software packaged in "zip-loc" bags and a manual duplicated on a Ditto machine)."

Somewhere I still have my old KIM-1" kit "computer and my Vic-20 is still in the corner of the basement. Gave away all my Amiga stuff 15 years ago. Goes back to "one mans trash....", and "what was old is new again". There are some thing we keep for nostalgia and some thing we keep, or re aquire because they were better then than today.

Cohetero-negro
05-22-2012, 09:56 AM
"Not sure if a vintage TRS-80 Model I microcomputer is a collector's item or not (since just over 200,000 were sold). Acquired it from a college professor I knew. Didn't have the original shipping box, but I did get the manual and BASIC tutorial book. Also got the original Tandy portable cassette player and a smallish library of programs on cassette tape (ah, the days of software packaged in "zip-loc" bags and a manual duplicated on a Ditto machine)."

Somewhere I still have my old KIM-1" kit "computer and my Vic-20 is still in the corner of the basement. Gave away all my Amiga stuff 15 years ago. Goes back to "one mans trash....", and "what was old is new again". There are some thing we keep for nostalgia and some thing we keep, or re aquire because they were better then than today.

I would buy a Model III or IIIc from you in a HEART BEAT!!! I learned BASIC and Poke and Peek (x,y) and char for graphics on those!!! A high school fellow NERD by the name of Paul Michael Pheeny and I, entered our Space Invaders wanna be game into a TRW scholarship contest and won 3rd place! This was back in 1983.

Come to think of it, I forgot to use the prize money for college tuition .... hmmm.

On another note, the TRS-80 III ADORNED the bridge of the Battlestar Galactica on its voyage to that shinny blue planet known as Earth!

I remember loading games via cassette tape!!! Games like, Missile Command, Alien (that was the split screen so you had to place a book or some other form of divider down the middle of the screen so the person playing the human couldn't see the Alien coming to kill him! These computers were out of my high school computer class/club. Right along side there with the TTY Terminal and the punch card sorter so we could submit our Fortran 77 programs to the Post Office for running! It took 2 - 3 days to get your execution back! One wrong card out of place or flaw in logic, and there went 2-3 days down the tubes ... those were the days!

And now ignorant youngin's get all bent out of shape when it takes more than 2 secs to send a SMS message ... the NERVE! Why when I was a youngin, I had to push data down stream AND upstream and keep it all in sync with a 300 baud modem! The nerve!

The Trash-80 was one of the greatest computers ever built ... until the Amiga + 'Video Toaster' , but that is a different tale for a different thread?

Jonathan

ghrocketman
05-22-2012, 10:22 AM
Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes has to be TOPS when it comes to TV and most of that is from the 40's, 50's, and very early 60's.
Woody Woodpecker/Walter Lantz cartoons a close second.
Flintstones/Jetsons/Bullwinkle a 3-way tie for third.
Notice NO mention of Popeye at all as that show SUCKED dawg-poop and still does.

As far as the original Batllestar Galactica, the majority of the instruments/displays on the bridge were actual functioning Tektronix products of one shape/form or another and they were actually credited at the end of every episode. I still use several of their products (obviously more modern) today. The TRS80 keyboard was OUTDATED then in 1978 when they used it on the show !!!

carbons4
05-22-2012, 10:31 AM
"The Trash-80 was one of the greatest computers ever built ... until the Amiga + 'Video Toaster' , but that is a different tale for a different thread?"

Video toaster............ That was rich nerds land. Had the NewTek digitizer and a Panasonic TUBE camera,(come to think of it I still do somewhere), Perfect sound, but a video toaster......that was big money. 16-1700.00 I think.

Yea I did engine/rocket performance curves on a commodore 128 for work back then. I am not sure if it would run any slower today since back then I did not have to use the devils software(microsoft).
Talking about relics, I wonder if Doug Pratt still has one of his Poly 88's from his computer gaming business?

carbons4
05-22-2012, 10:38 AM
"Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes has to be TOPS when it comes to TV and most of that is from the 40's, 50's, and very early 60's.
Notice NO mention of Popeye at all as that show SUCKED dawg-poop and still"

Don't forget early Tom and Jerry. The really violent ones before they were "f r i e n d s . . ." My no.2

Bullwinkle was aimed at college kids. It was great. I loved it but it went over the heads of a lot of little kids.

ghrocketman
05-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Carbons4- I stand corrected.
I would throw Tom & Jerry in with the three-way tie for 3rd, making it a 4-way tie !

Cohetero-negro
05-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes has to be TOPS when it comes to TV and most of that is from the 40's, 50's, and very early 60's.
Notice NO mention of Popeye at all as that show SUCKED dawg-poop and still does.

As far as the original Batllestar Galactica, the majority of the instruments/displays on the bridge were actual functioning Tektronix products of one shape/form or another and they were actually credited at the end of every episode. I still use several of their products (obviously more modern) today. The TRS80 keyboard was OUTDATED then in 1978 when they used it on the show !!!

GH,

That is what made the Trash-80 so AWESOME!!! I would pretend to be inputing Cyclon target information so that the Vipers could be vectored in for the KILL!!!

I wanted so badly to be a member of Silver Spar squadron!!! Who commanded Battlestar Pegasus, the home ship of the Silver Spar squadron? Answer: Commander Cain ... the GREATEST WARRIOR IN COLONIAL HISTORY!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/67/Cain.jpg

This man single-handedly lead his Battlestar against not one, not two, BUT THREE CYLON BASESTARS! He is the greatest Warrior EVER! All Gaul Monging cylons beware!

I still say, that ORIGINAL Battlestar Galactica was the best! 2nd only to the original Star Trek series for action sci-fi.

For intellectual sci-fi, the original Outer Limits is the Grandfather of them all.

Jonathan

20 microns and closing ... 10 microns and closing ... positive shields now!

Cohetero-negro
05-22-2012, 11:29 AM
"The Trash-80 was one of the greatest computers ever built ... until the Amiga + 'Video Toaster' , but that is a different tale for a different thread?"

Video toaster............ That was rich nerds land. Had the NewTek digitizer and a Panasonic TUBE camera,(come to think of it I still do somewhere), Perfect sound, but a video toaster......that was big money. 16-1700.00 I think.

Yea I did engine/rocket performance curves on a commodore 128 for work back then. I am not sure if it would run any slower today since back then I did not have to use the devils software(microsoft).
Talking about relics, I wonder if Doug Pratt still has one of his Poly 88's from his computer gaming business?

LOL yes it was big money ... I blew my student loan on it! I made some very cool Dolphins with 'B-Spline' action down their lengths ... ah things were just better back then or maybe I was better back back then ... no things were better back then!

I bought an Amiga 2500 with a USED Toaster in it from Winners Circle computers in Berkeley CA, right there on University BLVD just a few blocks from the campus. I don't know if it is still there. I know he got looted back during the 1992 Rodney King riots... stupid me, instead of walking away with some nice systems and jeans from the GAP store, I was getting my arse arrested on the Bay Bridge when the protest group I was with halted traffic! I bet Peter Olivia didn't see that one coming! LOL ... oh the memories...

Jonathan

Cohetero-negro
05-22-2012, 11:42 AM
http://galactica1981.tripod.com/bridge.jpg

The Trash-80's are under the hoods in the counters.

In the lower right hand corner ... tell me that isn't a daisy-style printer! LOL

J

carbons4
05-22-2012, 11:45 AM
You are letting your geekness show, but a lot of us do. A friend and I in high school built several vipers, raiders, base stars and lighted battlestars. Inspired by Dykstra, we were trying to start a company to do model and film effects. Built a 4 x 10 lighted star mat. Made a motion control camera out of a old garage door opener and various parts. (remember this was before cheap video so super 8 rained supreme) Had several models lit and some animated. My favorite is a double scale SSV Scorpion lit and animated. There just was not a market for us but we did some cool shots. And yes things were BETTER then.

carbons4
05-22-2012, 11:49 AM
"The Trash-80's are under the hoods in the counters.

In the lower right hand corner ... tell me that isn't a daisy-style printer! LOL"

No its a Thermal printer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cohetero-negro
05-22-2012, 12:00 PM
"The Trash-80's are under the hoods in the counters.

In the lower right hand corner ... tell me that isn't a daisy-style printer! LOL"

No its a Thermal printer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy Moly ... see they should be teaching this stuff in college!!!!

J

ghrocketman
05-22-2012, 12:09 PM
I rate the original Battlestar Galactica at the top of the heap for all-time favorite Sci-Fi shows, even above the mighty original Star Trek.
As far as favorite all time Sci-Fi episode of ANY series, I rate "A Piece Of The Action" from the original Star Trek as the favorite episode from any show. The Battlestar Galactica episode that had Cassiopeia parachuting down as the 'med tech' in the tight black neoprene suit is a VERY CLOSE second.

JD-
Remember, Cain was never seen again after he chose to take on those 3 base-stars. I would have to rate Lorne "Alpo" Greene as Ben Cartwright...err...I mean Commander Adama as the best commander. The one item that the original series missed was having Tricia Helfer as a cylon...Rowwwrrrrrrrr !

carbons4
05-22-2012, 12:16 PM
I can't argue with any of that...................

ghrocketman
05-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Would have gladly accepted the role of Baltar 'the villain' in the new BSG for the Tricia Helfer factor alone.

carbons4
05-22-2012, 12:46 PM
and just think..........she is more than triplets...............

luke strawwalker
05-22-2012, 01:05 PM
!!!

Have to agree with this 100%... I'm just happy they FINALLY brought the Coyote/Roadrunner cartoons out of the basement they've been hiding them in for 25 years...

I used to LOVE the Coyote/Roadrunner cartoons... they were THE funniest ones on TV, bar none... and they never had to say a SINGLE WORD of dialog to be funny! (same reason I like so many of the skits on the Benny Hill show... many didn't have a word of dialog but were the funniest things I've ever seen... and in 100 years will be classics when low-rate garbage like "Seinfeld" and "Friends" is buried and forgotten).

Then, the stupid mamby-pamby kid safety gurus and head shrinks started carping about how "dangerous" the Coyote/Roadrunner cartoons were, because some kid might jump off a building or something emulating the Coyote... so they pulled them off the air and didn't even show them in reruns until here lately... BUT they managed to replace them with limp pure CRAPOLA like Power Rangers and thinly veiled propaganda like "Captain Planet" and other such rubbish, and had the kids ninja-kicking the crap out of each other on the playgrounds... oh that was SO much better and safer than having the future Darwin Award winners jumping off the roof!!! :rolleyes:

There hasn't been a cartoon in the last 30 years that's been worth watching (except the Simpsons and Futurama, but those are NOT KIDS cartoons, either...) "New" Looney Toons and all this other drivel that PASSES for kids cartoons nowdays COMPLETELY and UTTERLY SUCK!!!

carbons4
05-22-2012, 01:16 PM
I was getting ready to say bad things till you included Futurama......... she gives me s$@t about it but I see her laugh too.

Cohetero-negro
05-22-2012, 01:21 PM
I rate the original Battlestar Galactica at the top of the heap for all-time favorite Sci-Fi shows, even above the mighty original Star Trek.
As far as favorite all time Sci-Fi episode of ANY series, I rate "A Piece Of The Action" from the original Star Trek as the favorite episode from any show. The Battlestar Galactica episode that had Cassiopeia parachuting down as the 'med tech' in the tight black neoprene suit is a VERY CLOSE second.

JD-
Remember, Cain was never seen again after he chose to take on those 3 base-stars. I would have to rate Lorne "Alpo" Greene as Ben Cartwright...err...I mean Commander Adama as the best commander. The one item that the original series missed was having Tricia Helfer as a cylon...Rowwwrrrrrrrr !

No no for me it was Cain ... I would follow him to the heart of the Cylon Empire!

J

luke strawwalker
05-22-2012, 01:26 PM
GH,

That is what made the Trash-80 so AWESOME!!! I would pretend to be inputing Cyclon target information so that the Vipers could be vectored in for the KILL!!!

I wanted so badly to be a member of Silver Spar squadron!!! Who commanded Battlestar Pegasus, the home ship of the Silver Spar squadron? Answer: Commander Cain ... the GREATEST WARRIOR IN COLONIAL HISTORY!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/67/Cain.jpg

This man single-handedly lead his Battlestar against not one, not two, BUT THREE CYLON BASESTARS! He is the greatest Warrior EVER! All Gaul Monging cylons beware!

I still say, that ORIGINAL Battlestar Galactica was the best! 2nd only to the original Star Trek series for action sci-fi.

For intellectual sci-fi, the original Outer Limits is the Grandfather of them all.

Jonathan

20 microns and closing ... 10 microns and closing ... positive shields now!

ABSOLUTELY!!!! Can't beat the originals, boys... accept no imitations!

I've TRIED to watch the new BSG... I mean I've REALLY tried.... but it is just HOPELESSLY BORING! Now I see why folks call it "Melrose Place" in space... :rolleyes:

It's indicative of something we've lost in this country... now everything is "touchy-feely" and we have to "get in touch with our emotions" and "understand WHY" things are the way they are... we have to be "understanding and compassionate" and all this other BS...

It's utter crap. Commander Cain and Captain Kirk and Buck Rogers... they understood the universe IS WHAT IT IS... hot chicks are there for good company, and who cares why the bad guys do what they do... their job is to KICK THE CRAP OUT OF THEM and blow them out of the stars! No need to psychoanalyze, try to understand the motivation or bad experiences that led them to be bad guys, or fret and hand-wring over having to destroy them... it's "kill the bad guy, save the world, and get the girl!"

Nobody (with any sense) fretted about bombing the Nazis and Japanese warmongers off the face of the Earth, and idiots who DID were simply marginalized as fruits and nutjobs. It was "kill them before they kill us-- if they didn't want to die, they shouldn't have started it". Shame that people didn't listen to Patton when he wanted to clean the Russian's clocks at the end of WWII, or to MacArthur when he said "there's no substitute for VICTORY" and wanted to put a few atom bombs on China to stop their propping up North Korea... Noooo.... that's too "brutal" or whatever... can't do THAT, now can we?? So now we live in a world where 50 year old festering sores threaten to kill us all... that's EVER SO MUCH BETTER!

Nobody cried "foul" when Sherman burned Atlanta and did his "March to the Sea", "living off the land" by pillaging the enemy's supplies and raiding civilians for whatever he needed to feed and supply his army... (well, nobody but the ENEMY cried foul anyway...) Sherman was the first to understand that "war is all h3ll, and the sooner its over with, the better"... and the fastest way to end it is to crush not only the enemies armies, but the civilians supplying it-- to make war "so terrible that generations will pass away before they again appeal to it". To the victor go the spoils... all's fair in love and war...

Now we don't conquer enemies, we "liberate" them... we spend billions blowing their country to h3ll and gone and then spend billions more rebuilding it while they take potshots at us from the shadows... and then we wonder why everything is such a mess...

You want VICTORY?? You CRUSH your enemies, and you put a boot on the neck of whomever is left... you CONQUER DECISIVELY. Anybody who wants to take a potshot at you... you KILL THEM... blow them off the face of the Earth, WITHOUT HESITATION. Let it be an EXAMPLE to others of what happens... If you don't want to be wiped out, don't take potshots at us from the shadows... If a few people stupid enough to support them or allow them to do it happen to get it in the neck as well, OH WELL, TOO BAD... Didn't stop us from bombing Germany just because we might hit a hospital due to poor bombing... didn't stop DRESDEN or HIROSHIMA... NOR SHOULD IT! War is war-- you fight to WIN, DECISIVELY, or WHY BOTHER??

Cohetero-negro
05-22-2012, 01:31 PM
I can't argue with any of that...................

Wait have we forgotten everything we learned so quickly... have we?

Seven of Nine had the GREATEST behind!

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071129105727/uncyclopedia/images/thumb/9/99/Jerri.jpg/416px-Jerri.jpg

Yes honey, could you please get my CRC down from the upper shelf while wearing your 'naughty' undies!!!

Now I would join Star Fleet just to drink her ION trail!

Come on guys :D

carbons4
05-22-2012, 02:06 PM
"dont give me any inteligent life c*^p, give me something to blow up".Lt Dolittle/Dark Star.
Picard/Kirk? Picard was about f e e e l i n g s and diplomacy, Kirk...... FIRE!!!!! and he always got the babe.
A weapon unused is a useless weapon.

There will always be bad people and you don't start a fight but you sure as hell finish it as my old man said.

ghrocketman
05-22-2012, 02:08 PM
There is NOTHING naughty about those undies...those should be considered NORMAL....thankfully I know someone that does ! :D

As far as war goes, I would yank the USA out of the UN so fast their head would spin and cut off ALL funding to any country that does not completely cow-tow to the wishes of the USA.
Any future wars fought by the USA would be a strict policy of Search & Destroy, Divide and Conquer, LOOT AND PILLAGE. We would take over the land, natural resources, and colonially subjugate those left. Not kidding...If you annoy us enough where we have to come in and kick butt, you will truly be sorry forever. Punishments for dissent would be truly brutal and way out of proportion. If you cant be a good neighbor and get along without pi$$ing us off, we WILL make you. The whole region of Afghanistan and 'dirtbagistnian' republics would get in line real quick or would be decimated...there would be ZERO middle ground.

Cohetero-negro
05-22-2012, 02:14 PM
"dont give me any inteligent life c*^p, give me something to blow up".Lt Dolittle/Dark Star.
Picard/Kirk? Picard was about f e e e l i n g s and diplomacy, Kirk...... FIRE!!!!! and he always got the babe.
A weapon unused is a useless weapon.

There will always be bad people and you don't start a fight but you sure as hell finish it as my old man said.

HAHAHAHA, Kirk ... my old friend! :)

That episode where alter-ego Kirk started drinking Saurian Brandy and went after that sexy hot babe Yeomen ... I was like, " go get her Kirk, she's all yours!' :)

For our female readers I am just joking of course ;)

But don't the ladies love being pursued? Not stalked, but pursued :)

Jonathan

P.s. found this great and funny site about Star Trek Space Winos ... you guys have to check this stuff out: http://www.drunkard.com/issues/05_02/5_02_space%20winos.html

Royatl
05-22-2012, 02:47 PM

Loved dirt clods! Best toys ever. Skip the flat ones on gravel. Make others disintegrate on contact. My dad had a subdivision built on our property, and for awhile, there were dirt clods galore on the edges of the streets. But you could make the argument that they were pretty expensive dirt clods.

jeffyjeep
05-23-2012, 09:40 AM
....and BB guns! "You'll put your eye out, kid!"

So what. God in his infinite wisdom gave me a spare.

Jonathan, sorry about the Coyotes.

jeffyjeep
05-23-2012, 09:50 AM
Have to agree with this 100%... I'm just happy they FINALLY brought the Coyote/Roadrunner cartoons out of the basement they've been hiding them in for 25 years...

I used to LOVE the Coyote/Roadrunner cartoons... they were THE funniest ones on TV, bar none... and they never had to say a SINGLE WORD of dialog to be funny! (same reason I like so many of the skits on the Benny Hill show... many didn't have a word of dialog but were the funniest things I've ever seen... and in 100 years will be classics when low-rate garbage like "Seinfeld" and "Friends" is buried and forgotten).

Then, the stupid mamby-pamby kid safety gurus and head shrinks started carping about how "dangerous" the Coyote/Roadrunner cartoons were, because some kid might jump off a building or something emulating the Coyote... so they pulled them off the air and didn't even show them in reruns until here lately... BUT they managed to replace them with limp pure CRAPOLA like Power Rangers and thinly veiled propaganda like "Captain Planet" and other such rubbish, and had the kids ninja-kicking the crap out of each other on the playgrounds... oh that was SO much better and safer than having the future Darwin Award winners jumping off the roof!!! :rolleyes:

There hasn't been a cartoon in the last 30 years that's been worth watching (except the Simpsons and Futurama, but those are NOT KIDS cartoons, either...) "New" Looney Toons and all this other drivel that PASSES for kids cartoons nowdays COMPLETELY and UTTERLY SUCK!!!

That was one of the few GOOD things about India: 100% uncensored old cartoons on Cartoon Network Asia. Mostly old Looney Tunes and old Tom and Jerry cartoons. Gunblasts to the face, swallowing lit dynamite, 1000+ foot falls resulting in a crater, dismemberments, decapitations, etc., none of it is cut out--not even in India (the "Mecca" of censorship.)

luke strawwalker
05-23-2012, 09:17 PM
Loved dirt clods! Best toys ever. Skip the flat ones on gravel. Make others disintegrate on contact. My dad had a subdivision built on our property, and for awhile, there were dirt clods galore on the edges of the streets. But you could make the argument that they were pretty expensive dirt clods.

Yep... dirt clods were fun... we had many a "war" on the farm, throwing "hand grenades" at each other in the fall after plowing the fields, disking turnrows, and cleaning out the bar ditches for the winter... the whole farm was covered with clods at that point!!! Only problem was, our ground here is black gumbo clay... so it dries to about the hardness and consistency of concrete... OUCH!!!

GuyNoir
05-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Yep... dirt clods were fun... we had many a "war" on the farm

OMG! Dirt clod wars! A childhood memory!!!! :chuckle:

foamy
05-24-2012, 07:49 AM
snip... There hasn't been a cartoon in the last 30 years that's been worth watching (except the Simpsons and Futurama, but those are NOT KIDS cartoons, either...) "New" Looney Toons and all this other drivel that PASSES for kids cartoons nowdays COMPLETELY and UTTERLY SUCK!!!

Ah, you probably didn't catch the early Ren & Stimpy. Funny, violent, flippant and outrageous. Not to mention the art/animation and particularly the backgrounds—were dymamite. It's the only cartoon of the last few decades that I can heartily endorse.

jeffyjeep
05-24-2012, 08:54 AM
Ah, you probably didn't catch the early Ren & Stimpy. Funny, violent, flippant and outrageous. Not to mention the art/animation and particularly the backgrounds—were dymamite. It's the only cartoon of the last few decades that I can heartily endorse.
I adored the early Ren and Stimpy cartoons! And you're right, the backgrounds were fabulous--especially the watercolors.
Sometimes I even quote Ren and Stimpy in daily life, i.e: "stewmeat and puppets!", "you filthy worm!", "you sick, little monkey!", and the famous, "you fat, bloated, eeeediot!"

tbzep
05-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Yet during that time, Bugs Bunny and Wile E. Coyote videos were censored by chopping them to bits and being shelved outright.

carbons4
05-24-2012, 09:49 AM
can't let that pesky "constitution" thing get in the way of good wholsum TV.

jeffyjeep
05-24-2012, 09:51 AM
Yes, it's an MD and a PHD.

a "paradox". :D

Yes, I know that joke is older than water.

Der Red Max
05-25-2012, 01:02 AM
I would...cut off ALL funding to any country that does not completely cow-tow to the wishes of the USA.
Is this what you had in mind?

http://cdn.lexusenthusiast.com/images/weblog/11-05-13-lexus-is-f-hauling-plastic-cow.jpg (http://www.beedictionary.com/common-errors/cowtow_vs_kowtow)

Der Red Max
05-25-2012, 01:12 AM
but a vast majority of his kits were stored improperlyThat's true, Danny keeps them outside his double-wide in those make-shift sheds that are exposed to the elements.
It's too bad to, cause he has/had quite the collection.
I was so tempted to just raid the sheds by convincing myself it was in the best interest of the kits, but Danny's actually too nice a guy to betray like that.
Maybe when I get another chance though...:D

Cohetero-negro
05-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Yet during that time, Bugs Bunny and Wile E. Coyote videos were censored by chopping them to bits and being shelved outright.

TB,

That is what I miss about Tom & Jerry ... I mean going after won another with meat cleavers and hatchets! I wonder if some of that bled over into the minds of some of the current sociopaths and such? Ren and Stempy ... now that is quality!

I remember back when G.I. Joe was being picketed by liberal parents, the show was forced to no longer kill humans. Instead, it had to be OBVIOUS that as the laser/rocket hitting the target, it had to be clear that it was an android with springs and gears visible to show that it wasn't another human being being killed; and the bailout of Cobra Viper pilots from their aircraft ... had to show a successful egress with chute deployed.

Now with Speed Racer, Astroboy, and Gigantor, the killing of other humans was OBVIOUS!

So I'm not sure what to think ;)

Jonathan

Cohetero-negro
05-25-2012, 10:14 AM
That's true, Danny keeps them outside his double-wide in those make-shift sheds that are exposed to the elements.
It's too bad to, cause he has/had quite the collection.
I was so tempted to just raid the sheds by convincing myself it was in the best interest of the kits, but Danny's actually too nice a guy to betray like that.
Maybe when I get another chance though...:D

Danny told me that he indeed did have his shed broken into by some neighborhood kids and that rockets were taken ... a few boxes. He did get most of them back. Anything I got from him, I have either built or sold ...silverfish inside, insect/rodent chewed areas and that was in his words, 'Mint mint' ... he liked using that phrase for just about everything he sold.

Hope the rocket biz is working out for you ... I have been doing my part and throwing $$$ your way when I could justify it ;)

Can't all of us rocketeers just get along?

Jonathan

carbons4
05-25-2012, 10:23 AM
I have never once gone after anyone with a meat cleaver, never put lit dynamite under someone or replaced it for their cigar, never jumped of a cliff and thought I would just look like a human accordian when I walked away, never bought one Acme jet engine, one set handlebars, and one bicycle seat and thought it would really work, even at age 5-6!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe..... just maybe it DOES take a rocket scientist. And if we did not protect idiots from themselves and let Darwin take charge............things would work out.

foamy
05-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Criminal, I know. Not to mention the proliferation of violent video games. Complete with hookers that need to be shot.

And they want to censor classic cartoons. Unbelievable.

Oh, and GH, Popeye (when the cabin doors opened and closed to show the credits) was an excellent cartoon. Harveytoons (follow the bouncing ball) were excellent as well.

Cohetero-negro
05-25-2012, 10:35 AM
Criminal, I know. Not to mention the proliferation of violent video games. Complete with hookers that need to be shot.

And they want to censor classic cartoons. Unbelievable.

Oh, and GH, Popeye (when the cabin doors opened and closed to show the credits) was an excellent cartoon. Harveytoons (follow the bouncing ball) were excellent as well.

OK by that thinking, Underdog, Tennessee Tuxedo, and Mr. Peabody were excellent as well! They were :)

Doodley Doright, Tom Slick and George of the Jungle ... nope ... they were par at best! I did like Super Chicken!

Now ANYTHING Tex Avery did, Droopy, was AWESOME!

Jonathan

Der Red Max
05-25-2012, 10:41 AM
I have been doing my part and throwing $$$ your way when I could justify it ;)Perhaps I could get you to throw $150 my way for that "piece of balsa wood in a box" Dunbar Hobbies sold via Yahoo way back when. Justifiable?

Cohetero-negro
05-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Perhaps I could get you to throw $150 my way for that "piece of balsa wood in a box" Dunbar Hobbies sold via Yahoo way back when. Justifiable?

We sold only premium balsa!!!

OH and I never used Yahoo to sell anything. Just ebay and direct from the store/website.

Sure it was my Dunbar hobbies? There were people trying to imitate and use my name to do what ever.

I remember someone on rmr linking a picture of another black guy and claiming it was me. Chris Taylor or someone by that name; his picture was supposed to be me ... we all look the same I guess.

Then there was Shrox who posted on rmr that people should send porn to the store and my home address. Its there, just google rmr, and you can find the posts.

Howsoever, I either sold from the walk-in store, direct web, or ebay ... NO yahoo.

I am thinking of opening a google store in the not so distant future. No I wont announce it, it will just be there for anyone who is interested in what I have to sell.

See the thing that I never learned is that when you are dealing with the public, never let them know your political or religious positions. That way, there is no bias towards or against you. This is why I would never make an effective politician :/

Jonathan

ghrocketman
05-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Popeye cartoons were total POS and sucked. PERIOD. ANY opinion contrary to this is INVALID and useless.

Cohetero-negro
05-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Popeye cartoons were total POS and sucked. PERIOD. ANY opinion contrary to this is INVALID and useless.

Agreed.

The only cartoons I follow 'religiously' are:

On the Cartoon Network:

The Amazing World of Gumball
Adventure Time
Regular Show

On the Hub channel:

Transformers Prime <--- I actually set my phone alarm clock to remind me of this one!
Transformers Generation One (Original show from the 80's)
G.I. Joe A real American Hero
Aquabats

That is it. If Gumball, Regular Show, or AT are re-runs, I turn to O'reily, Hannity, or Gretta on Fox news. If they are pissing me off, usually their liberal guests, its back to the re-run of Gumball, Regular Show or AT :)

Jonathan

carbons4
05-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Tex Avery was GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

foamy
05-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Ha ha ha! You're a funny guy GH. To each his own. I think they were great! You must not be old enough. Like "Leave it to Beaver?" This will be telling.

ghrocketman
05-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Leave It To Beaver is a real hoot. Have 4 seasons on DVD box-set.
The BEST episode is in Season Six when Eddie and Wally chain the rear axle of Lumpy's heap to a tree. When Lumpy takes off, the undercarriage of his heap is yanked out from under the body, which continues going forward to a skidding halt with Lumpy in the seat. Totally Impossible, but hilarious.
The next best episode is also in season six where Beaver ruins Wally's house party with rubber cheez slices in sandwiches, rubbber candy & grapes, buggy ice cubes, and a gag in the record player plug.

carbons4
05-25-2012, 12:59 PM
I have to admit, I personally thought popeye was a bit slow going.Part of it was the film was so scratched up and the sound was so bad every time I remember seeing them. Tom and Jerry (the old ones before they were F R I E N D S), Any warner bros, Tex Avery(I really liked the Wolf). One people did not mention when discusing newer stuff is that cartoon within a cartoon, Itchy and Scratcy.
THAT makes me laugh!!!!!!!

carbons4
05-25-2012, 01:02 PM
I always liked that show. Ward was a pretty cool dad. I had a friend that his mom reminded me of Mrs. Mondelo. And I have a friend that was just as slimey as Eddie was in high school.
good times.....................

ghrocketman
05-25-2012, 01:17 PM
Eddie Haskell was the BEST character on the show !!!!
He was even WORSE on "the new leave it to beaver" show.

Back to the WAR progrum-
I honestly would like to see the USA adopt a policy of Search & Destroy, Divide & Conquer, LOOT & PILLAGE when our military is called to service against someone that pi$$es us off.
No more of this 'liberator' crap...thumb our nose at the UN, boot 'em outta NYC, conquer & kick a$$. The natural resources of the conquered will pay the tab of the war effort, NOT the tax payers. That's the LEAST these dirtbag nations that harbor POS terrorists and religious fanatics can do. Decisive BRUTALITY to the point that pi$$ant nations would never think of irritating us. Not joking either. Those that help our efforts would be granted asylum via Seal team 6 or any other neccessary means.

Suversive Nuclear weapon facilities of rogue disruptive nations would be immediately decimated with no time wasted on mamby-pamby diplomacy. They would get a response in the form of F-22 and B-52 resulting in peace through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER.

Oil Prices in the USA should be at an all-time low from conquered/looted/confiscated Iraq oil production.

This whole UN influenced nonsense policy of no spoils of war is total BS.

foamy
05-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Leave It To Beaver is a real hoot. ...snip

Had to check. You had me worried there.

Cohetero-negro
05-25-2012, 02:12 PM
Eddie Haskell was the BEST character on the show !!!!
He was even WORSE on "the new leave it to beaver" show.

Back to the WAR progrum-
I honestly would like to see the USA adopt a policy of Search & Destroy, Divide & Conquer, LOOT & PILLAGE when our military is called to service against someone that pi$$es us off.
No more of this 'liberator' crap...thumb our nose at the UN, boot 'em outta NYC, conquer & kick a$$. The natural resources of the conquered will pay the tab of the war effort, NOT the tax payers. That's the LEAST these dirtbag nations that harbor POS terrorists and religious fanatics can do. Decisive BRUTALITY to the point that pi$$ant nations would never think of irritating us. Not joking either. Those that help our efforts would be granted asylum via Seal team 6 or any other neccessary means.

Suversive Nuclear weapon facilities of rogue disruptive nations would be immediately decimated with no time wasted on mamby-pamby diplomacy. They would get a response in the form of F-22 and B-52 resulting in peace through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER.

Oil Prices in the USA should be at an all-time low from conquered/looted/confiscated Iraq oil production.

This whole UN influenced nonsense policy of no spoils of war is total BS.

1) We should have just taken the Oil in Iraq!

2) The United States hasn't fought a strait forward war since WWII and then finally the second Gulf War ... just think if we had fought WWII like we fought NAM, N. Korea, Afghan...

3) Iran views us as the SUCKERS we currently are. The Obama administration is a JOKE! If I were a despot, and via my, 'Pinky and the Brain' cartoons, I am learning how, if I were a despot I would SPIT on the United States and its current slew of leaders... do you really think Al Quida , don't care about getting their name right, would NOT be doing a tenth of the crap if Ronald Wilson Reagan were in White House? NO.

4) The U.N. now says that WHITE AMERICA has to give lands back to the native tribes ... OK in exchange, give the lucrative casinos back ;) Soon the UN will want ya'll to pay me my reparations check ... now what IS the interest on 40 acres and a mule... hmm? Compounded interest over 150 years ... yes I can retire on that!

5) I was very upset that Pakistan convicted the Dr. that helped us locate Bin Laden, he is getting 33 years ... he will be dead within a few months ... the conviction was just a way to hide his execution

Well its lunch time ... might go out for some Mexican food ... that is all they serve here in Phoenix ...

J

Cohetero-negro
05-25-2012, 02:14 PM
Can it get any more clearer than this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_YsD_AbUXoXc/S6pcZ-9P3_I/AAAAAAAAA4o/1U2Omy6-mko/S660/Ronald+Reagan.jpg

No it can't!

J

foamy
05-25-2012, 02:56 PM
I thought Ronald Regan was a bad joke the first time he ran for President. I voted for him the second time around. My favorite President (aside from Washington and Lincoln).

Cohetero-negro
05-25-2012, 03:13 PM
I thought Ronald Regan was a bad joke the first time he ran for President. I voted for him the second time around. My favorite President (aside from Washington and Lincoln).

I would rate Reagan in the top 5. Here are my personal top five:

1) George Washington - Founded America

2) Abraham Lincoln - Managed to hold the States united (notice, NOT because of the emancipation)

3) Franklin D. Roosevelt - Saw us through WWII

4) Ronald Reagan - Saw us through the Cold War, armed a woefully weak America, and set the stage for one of the greatest economic rises in America that took effect during the Clinton era. Remember, policy that gets put in to law, takes YEARS to finally show an end result. Clinton was Pres. during the rise that was a result of the laws that Reagan signed.

5) Theodore Roosevelt - Established the Federal Park System, and a very tough nut. If you read about the man, he was his own leader and not beholden to any particular party. Matter of fact, he fell out of favor with the conservative Republicans and eventually went on to form the 'Bull Moose Party' or Progressive party. Now don't let the word, 'Progressive' phase/scare you ... for the word had a different meaning some 100 years ago.

Like saying one is gay/happy ...

Those are my top 5 ... no Bill Clinton, Barack Obama, George Bush, or Jimmy Carter didn't make the list!

Jonathan

luke strawwalker
05-25-2012, 09:45 PM
I have never once gone after anyone with a meat cleaver, never put lit dynamite under someone or replaced it for their cigar, never jumped of a cliff and thought I would just look like a human accordian when I walked away, never bought one Acme jet engine, one set handlebars, and one bicycle seat and thought it would really work, even at age 5-6!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe..... just maybe it DOES take a rocket scientist. And if we did not protect idiots from themselves and let Darwin take charge............things would work out.

EXACTLY....

I call it "the modern lawnmower effect"...

Back when I was a kid, I was given a non-working old lawnmower to "play with"... of course when I was about three I tried to get it running-- realizing it had no gasoline, I attempted to "make gasoline" by mixing water with red fire ants that I collected by hand (rather painfully I might add... but hey it was kinda reddish in color like gasoline... and I WAS only about three or four at the time!). Sorry to say my efforts didn't succeed (elsewise with all the fire ants around here I'd be a Saudi Prince by now.:)) That was one of the more stupid things I did as a kid (I have a few scars, but not too many...)

When I was old enough to actually start mowing the lawn, we had push mowers with NO 'safety devices" on them whatsoever... I remember Dad buying a new push mower at HEB (grocery store) back in the late 70's/early 80's when they started requiring a little plastic flap be installed on the back of the mower, so that idiots mowing in flip-flops wouldn't pull the mower back over their toes and cut them off... then later it was the "have to hold the handle together or the engine will stall"... of course we just tied a bit of baler twine around that to keep the handles locked together all the time...

Similarly, our first riding mower came with no safety widgets at all... then with later models, they started coming out with more and more safety gizmos... got to turn the blades off before you can put it in reverse or you stall the motor-- can't get up from the seat or it stalls the motor, gotta press the clutch down to start it... stupid stuff like that... it's SO bad now that when we buy a new mower, the first thing I have to do is spend a few days bypassing various safety junk to make the thing actually usable...

When I was 13, I was running a 70 horsepower 9,000 pound tractor pulling a 13 foot bush-hog mower, shredding cotton stalks at 6 mph all day long. When I was 7 I started riding the cotton pickers with my Dad and my job was climbing down off the machine, going around behind it, and crawling on my hands and knees underneath it to clean the back air doors out of green bolls, fire ants, leaf litter, and usually morningglory vines that managed to get dragged through the machine and ended up plugging up the doors, preventing the cotton from being sucked up the pipes to the basket... I climbed up the walls and into cotton trailers and tromped cotton-- started that when I was about 4 in fact... used to play in a trailer load of cotton, so much so that I refused to come out of the trailer one evening when Dad and Grandpa finished working, and they threatened to leave me in the field "overnight" and I still ignored them, so they took off and drove the picker home about a mile or so away to gas up and grease up the next morning... When I realized they were gone, I climbed down and started RUNNING home... down the back farm roads, down the state highway, across the highway and down the county road to Grandma's-- nobody there, so I ran back down the county road to the state highway, ran down the side of the highway to my parents house a quarter mile away, nobody home, so I ran BACK to Grandma's, and since I was hot and tired by then, I got something to drink, sat down, and watched TV... (til my folks and grandparents finally got back and I got a whipping for running off from the trailer and scaring them to death-- they'd gone back for me after they got the picker home and found me not there, and spent the rest of the evening running up and down the roads looking for me (and evidently missing me for some reason)... but hey, I was only 3 or 4 at the time...

When I was 15 and had my permit, I started hauling cotton and grain to the gin and elevator... from 10,000 to 25,000 pounds at a time, depending on the crop...

As a kid of 6, my job was pumping 40 gallons of gasoline into the combine every morning during harvest season... I rode on the combine and sometimes got off to unplug the header if the morningglory vines got bad... working over the sickle cutterbar and under the reel pulling vines and weeds off the feed auger. At 14 I ran all the machinery myself and pretty much had two farms to run on my own... applied and handled all the chemicals and poisons by 15, did most all the mechanical and welding repairs by 16... If I managed to bust a knuckle or get a cut, I'd wrap a paper towel around it, or a shirt-tail, or whatever was handy, maybe a wrap or two of electric tape, and get back to work... It had to be BAD before I actually "treated" it... only got sewed up a couple times... most of the time it was 'home-medicine'. Somehow I survived...

When I was driving the bus, I had a junior-high kid come running up, surrounded by some middle schoolers, screaming that "he's bleeding!!!" and "help him!!!" and all that... the Jr. high kid was white as a sheet and trembling... I stopped the bus because I figure by all appearances, the kid severed an artery or something... I pull his hand back and he's got a MAYBE half-inch long cut on one finger, with maybe a drop or two of blood... but he's acting like he's gonna pass out... I'm like "it's just a scratch..." I wrapped it with a clean rag we got from a box in the shop to wipe windows (torn up bedsheets and stuff from motels or something, by all appearances) and put pressure on it and got the first aid kit out of the bus storage bin, and found everything in it had fossilized or evaporated probably a decade before... :rolleyes: Kids today are SUCH pansies!!!

Anyway, somehow, without all that safety junk, we managed to survive... even have all my digits intact... Nowdays, you can't sneeze without safety warnings on the back of the kleenex box... :chuckle: On my first job, I cut pipeline rights-of-way for United Gas Pipeline Company... when I wasn't running a tractor, I was pushing an "industrial" lawnmower... the kind we'd ALL like to be able to buy-- the old style power-pulls with NO safety gizmos whatsoever on it to malfunction or go out and leave us broke down halfway through the job... It DID have a warning printed on the handlebars-- "for commercial use only-- not to be sold or operated by the general public"... LOL:)

Personally, I don't think Darwinism at work was necessarily a bad thing...

luke strawwalker
05-25-2012, 09:47 PM
OK by that thinking, Underdog, Tennessee Tuxedo, and Mr. Peabody were excellent as well! They were :)

Doodley Doright, Tom Slick and George of the Jungle ... nope ... they were par at best! I did like Super Chicken!

Now ANYTHING Tex Avery did, Droopy, was AWESOME!

Jonathan

Don't forget "Hong Kong Phooey"... LOL:)

PS. Droopy was awesome!

ghrocketman
05-26-2012, 10:35 AM
I don't think Darwinism is a bad thing either.
The stupid should be culled from the herd.

Don't even get me started on all the useless spending on what we now term as "Special Education" for those that will never contribute a dam-ned thing to society as a whole. Cold as it may be, we used to call them RETARDS, and they were graded on the "Idiot, Imbecile, Moron" scale AS THEY SHOULD be.

What should be called "Special Education" should be INCREASED spending on those exceptionally GIFTED/TALENTED/INTELLIGENT youth that are most likely to give a GREATER contribution to society as a whole.

Those LEAST likely to put extra $$$ to good use should receive a REDUCTION in funding.

I have two aunts and a cousin that are 'special' education teachers and on more that one occasion I have eluded to the fact that it's too bad they don't put their talents toward students where it would be useful to creat the next Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Warren Buffet, or Neil Armstrong. Instead they waste their time on students that it's a miracle if they know what a spoon is let alone how to use it.

I have been called a bat-rastard more than once due to my attitude; bring it on !

luke strawwalker
05-27-2012, 01:54 AM
I don't think Darwinism is a bad thing either.
The stupid should be culled from the herd.

Don't even get me started on all the useless spending on what we now term as "Special Education" for those that will never contribute a dam-ned thing to society as a whole. Cold as it may be, we used to call them RETARDS, and they were graded on the "Idiot, Imbecile, Moron" scale AS THEY SHOULD be.

What should be called "Special Education" should be INCREASED spending on those exceptionally GIFTED/TALENTED/INTELLIGENT youth that are most likely to give a GREATER contribution to society as a whole.

Those LEAST likely to put extra $$$ to good use should receive a REDUCTION in funding.

I have two aunts and a cousin that are 'special' education teachers and on more that one occasion I have eluded to the fact that it's too bad they don't put their talents toward students where it would be useful to creat the next Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Warren Buffet, or Neil Armstrong. Instead they waste their time on students that it's a miracle if they know what a spoon is let alone how to use it.

I have been called a bat-rastard more than once due to my attitude; bring it on !

I agree with you on the assessment that we're shortchanging the gifted and talented students nowdays for the sake of what used to be termed "special ed" cases... chalk another one up to Political Correctness... the touchy-feely crowd decided over the last couple decades that it's no longer "correct" to call kids that can't keep up or can't handle the regular classroom workload as "special ed"... why, you'll hurt their tiny little feelings... and its 'criminal' to single them out for special classes, (even though most special ed kids actually do MUCH better and are MUCH happier in a "special ed" class tailored to their needs and abilities, with a MORE STRUCTURED and LESS CHAOTIC environment, especially when they're OVERTLY AWARE that they're unable to keep up in a "regular" classroom environment, realize that they're "different" and that other kids make fun of them, or treat them differently, etc. I've dealt with some special ed kids and they DO NOT respond well to changes... even one as simple as me filling in for their regular bus driver... it distracts them, or worries them, or upsets them-- they get used to a "routine" and things being done the same way all the time, and get frustrated, upset, or distracted by changes... NO, we CANNOT allow special needs kids to be in a UNIQUE environment more suited to their abilities, no, we MUST mainstream them... FORCE them into a REGULAR CLASSROOM SETTING, with all the chaos and differences and frustrations and distractions... then we have to "educate" the already harried teacher, who's got 25 other kids (at least) in the classroom to deal with, on how to teach this kid, and that kid and the other kid (usually AT LEAST 3-4 kids in every class with "mods" to their "education plan" that the teacher MUST observe and follow... meaning that those kids get special assignments, special tests (different modifications to the classwork and tests to account for their "special needs" per the education plan drawn up by the teacher, parents, school administrators, and state... All the while, the more capable kids are simply glossed over... or in fact, drafted to help their "less fortunate" comrades... for instance, in many Texas schools now, rather than make kids learn ENGLISH and be able to study in a regular class, the smart kids are being teamed up with "Pedro" to teach him the subject matter after the teacher has taught the class... IOW, the smart kids have to learn it from the teacher, then THEY have to teach it to "Pedro"... SORRY, but if *I* were in school now, it'd be "Not NO but H3LL NO!!!"-- OL' PEDRO is on his OWN... I don't get PAID to teach PEDRO how to do the d@mn lessons... if the SCHOOL wants to hire a spanish-speaking teacher to teach PEDRO, fine... but *I* ain't wasting MY time teaching ol' Pedro SQUAT!

Don't get me wrong... I don't think we need to just shove "special needs" kids off into a corner somewhere and forget about them... I think they deserve opportunities... they used to get them, in something called SPECIAL ED... had dedicated teachers and everything... I think we as a society, and our school systems, should have enough money (and would if they didn't blow so d@mn much of it on new stadiums and gymnasiums and ball fields and sports and new buildings and new schools and new school board office buildings and other rubbish). I think we should have enough money to provide a decent education, to the extent of the person's abilities and talents, sufficient for whatever they can do in life... BUT I also think it's REDICULOUSLY FOOLISH to ignore our best and brightest to pursue some magical "equality" that will NEVER happen due to the natural limits of what some special ed kids can do... I've seen PROFOUNDLY DISABLED kids (to the point all they were capable of was sitting in their wheelchair and drooling-- unable to speak, communicate in any way-- practically a VEGETABLE-- yes incapable of any response or cogent self-aware thought... I've seen kids like this IN MY SISTER'S BAND... now you tell me... what can a kid like THIS possibly do in BAND?? REALLY?? I can see a kid in a wheelchair, that's capable of understanding and learning some things, even if they're slow or even retarded, if they WANT to play in band, sitting on the sidelines ringing a triangle or something... as long as they CAN do it... but REALLY-- profoundly handicapped in BAND?? It's more about MOM AND DAD PRETENDING they have a "normal kid" than actually any positive experience for the child themself... and believe you me... MANY parents of special needs kids work the system for EVERYTHING ITS WORTH... If they want you to pick up the kid at 6 am and not drop them off until 5:30 PM, THAT IS WHAT THE SCHOOL HAS TO DO! I always wondered WHY the handicapped bus left an hour before us and didn't get back til an hour afterwards, even though they were only hauling 1/4 of the kids we were... til one of the drivers explained it to me... REDICULOUS... "state provided babysitting service"...

I think we should do BOTH... provide adequate education to those with limited abilities according to their abilities and talents, AND provide top-notch opportunities for our most advanced and brightest students as well...