PDA

View Full Version : Falcon9/Dragon kit

MarkB.
09-01-2012, 12:33 PM
I thought I'd share a picture of what you get in a Falcon9/Dragon kit. I ordered mine from Amazon and got it in about a week.

The body tube is heavy wall with a preprinted wrap that is very well done. The clear plastic fins snap-lock into the lower plastic assembly. They are flexible; hopefully, they'll survive a few desert landings. Two parachutes are included with a SpaceX design in the spill hole area.

They only disappointment was the capsule which had a dent on the lower edge that looked like somebody twisted the piece off its sprue by hand. I'm not sure how I'll fix that. . . .

Assembly is with epoxy. It doesn't look like it will take long nor does it look particularly difficult. As soon as I finish the Shenzhou, I'll take a wack at it.

Bill
09-01-2012, 11:56 PM
They only disappointment was the capsule which had a dent on the lower edge that looked like somebody twisted the piece off its sprue by hand. I'm not sure how I'll fix that. . . .

Some plastic model builders like to use a mixture of medium CA and talc as a gap filler. Apply it, hit it with accelerator and it is ready to sand. It sands like, well, plastic. Others use Squadron putty or Bondo.

Bill