PDA

View Full Version : BOMARC satellite launcher!

blackshire
09-15-2012, 09:16 PM
Hello All,

I recently came across a copy of "The Making of a Moon: The Story of the Earth Satellite Program" by Arthur C. Clarke (Revised Edition, Harper & Brothers Publishers, 1958). This history of Project Vanguard, the United States' first artificial satellite project, also contains--on page 104--a bit of information and scale data (an attached scan is included below) on an even earlier, BOMARC-based satellite launch vehicle that was designed by Aerojet-General. Also:

If anyone has additional drawings, dimensions, or other material on this vehicle, it would make an excellent scale model in the Future/Fiction sub-category (which covers scale models of proposed-but-never-built designs). Its paint décor scheme is, of course, speculative because it was never built, but contemporary artists' concepts illustrations of it would be sufficient. At the very worst, paint patterns used on other somewhat similar Aerojet-General rockets at that time could serve as guides. I have written to Aerojet-General regarding this vehicle, and hopefully they still have something on it. In addition:

In 1954-55, well before the Martin Company’s Vanguard launch vehicle was given the official go-ahead, Aerojet-General had designed this three-stage, delta-finned satellite launch vehicle. It would have been able to place a payload of about fifty pounds into orbit. As well:

Its first stage was to have been powered by a hypergolic liquid propellant rocket engine, the Aerojet-General LR59-AJ-13, from the Bomarc A missile (see: www.afspacemuseum.org/missiles/Bomarc/ [the first "Bomarc B" photo is also actually that of a Bomarc A--the red smoke and translucent exhaust flame are dead giveaways of its liquid propellant rocket engine!), while its second stage would have been a modified Aerobee sounding rocket. Above the Aerobee would have been a solid propellant third stage, topped by the satellite payload. Below is a scan from the book that shows this vehicle.

I hope this information will be helpful.

dlazarus6660
09-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Thank you.
That was very interesting.
Ever been to the U.S. Air Force museum at the Cape?

tbzep
09-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Thank you.
Ever been to the U.S. Air Force museum at the Cape?
It was my favorite part of the trip, by far. :cool:

blackshire
09-19-2012, 03:23 AM
Thank you.
Ever been to the U.S. Air Force museum at the Cape?Has Major Tony Nelson (Larry Hagman) ever been to Mecca? :-) You're welcome. Yes, I've been there many times (they also have an excellent web site [see: www.afspacemuseum.org ], and the museum's foundation also has one [see: www.capemuseum.org ]). Also, this CCAFS (Cape Canaveral Air Force Station) virtual tour (see: www.robsv.com/cape/index.html ) shows the launch complexes "then and now," including interior views of their blockhouses, and it also covers the vehicles that they launched.