PDA

View Full Version : SV SM wrap

jeffyjeep
09-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Among other things, I'm working on a 1:100 scale Estes #2001 Saturn V. I've built a ton of these, but there's ONE thing I'm not sure of: when applying Sandman's service module wrap, what is the correct starting point? IOW, what is the orientation of the wrap's details to the seam of the conical LEM shroud? Thanks!

ghrocketman
09-25-2012, 02:20 PM
Best way to find out would be to look at close-up launch photos.

CPMcGraw
09-25-2012, 04:31 PM
Among other things, I'm working on a 1:100 scale Estes #2001 Saturn V. I've built a ton of these, but there's ONE thing I'm not sure of: when applying Sandman's service module wrap, what is the correct starting point? IOW, what is the orientation of the wrap's details to the seam of the conical LEM shroud? Thanks!

It is probably identical to the arrangement found on the Sat1B. George Gassaway provided a highly detailed drawing of the SA-205 back when we were doing the A7 models four years ago. Read this message (http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showpost.php?p=49028&postcount=42) and the associated thread for additional details.

sandman
09-25-2012, 04:43 PM

Let me look stuff up after diner tonight.

Basically the way the capsule, service module and Saturn booster sections are situated relative to each other is via an Z+, Y+ Z- and Y- axis reference lines.

I have it...someplace...I just have to look it up.

Look at the indication Z+,Y+,Z-,X- markings at the bottom of these drawings.

I have it for the Saturn V I just have to find it.

jharding58
09-25-2012, 06:09 PM
Check on apollomaniacs site. The position of the decal is determined by the postion of the umbilical shroud on the capsule. When stacked the shroud sits with the CM/SM umbilical shroud on the right (asuming that the side with the tunnels on the S-IVB is front). I usually place the decal start immediately below the umbilical, which, with all the above being true and the seam being 12 o'clock when viewed from above, would start the decal application at the 3 o"clock position going counter clockwise The decal will then position the thrusters and scimitar antennae. But this is all from memory and Sandman drew them...

http://www.apollomaniacs.com/apollo/sme.htm

sandman
09-25-2012, 07:17 PM
OK, I think I found how to make it easy.

You have to find the Umbilical connection.

The Umbilical connection is "roughly" just left of center on my wrap and just to the right of the second from the left RCS aligned with the 4 vertical circles. That is the +Z axis.

Look at the drawing I attached here

That Umbilical lines up directly with +Z axis and the long conduit on the Saturn V first stage.

jeffyjeep
09-25-2012, 08:35 PM
Perfect! Thanks Gordie and John!