PDA

View Full Version : NSL2013 Information

JumpJet
01-12-2013, 06:31 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know that the www.nsl2013.org website is up and running in case you are interested in attending this years event.

The one thing some of you might be interested in is I've arranged to have hundreds of old Estes show models available for people to view before and after the Saturday Night Banquet. Some of these model date back 40 years with the Cameroc Two stage model as just one example. I'll even have some of the new stuff I've designed these past couple years there for all to see as well. I'm sure I'll be able to dig up some other Old Estes stuff to show as well.

For the top place finishers in the classic model event I'll have some special stuff as prizes. Did I mentioned I will be judging this event. Bribes are allowed :)

John Boren
Estes R&D

sandman
01-12-2013, 06:44 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know that the www.nsl2013.org website is up and running in case you are interested in attending this years event.

The one thing some of you might be interested in is I've arranged to have hundreds of old Estes show models available for people to view before and after the Saturday Night Banquet. Some of these model date back 40 years with the Cameroc Two stage model as just one example. I'll even have some of the new stuff I've designed these past couple years there for all to see as well. I'm sure I'll be able to dig up some other Old Estes stuff to show as well.

For the top place finishers in the classic model event I'll have some special stuff as prizes. Did I mentioned I will be judging this event. Bribes are allowed :)

John Boren
Estes R&D

Man that sound fantastic!

Sure wish I could go...OK, maybe...let me look into it.

Initiator001
01-13-2013, 12:36 AM

John Boren
Estes R&D

John,

This is fantastic! :D

I was already beginning to make plans to attend the NSL and this is just some additional incentive to attend the event!

Thank you for going to the effort of making these models available for folks to view. :)

Royatl
01-13-2013, 01:35 AM
I will have funds this year, time this year, and should have a good car this year for both NSL and NARAM. Need to make at least one pilgrimage to Penrose.

Doug Sams
01-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Bribes are allowed :) What kinda beer do you like? :D

Doug

tbzep
01-13-2013, 12:27 PM
I so wish I could retire. I absolutely can not take time off in May or late July/August.
http://cdn4.iconfinder.com/data/icons/gnome-desktop-icons-png/PNG/64/Gnome-Face-Crying-64.png

JumpJet
01-13-2013, 02:41 PM
What kinda beer do you like?

COLD Beer.

John Boren

JumpJet
01-15-2013, 11:17 PM
We still need to update the NSL2013 website about the banquet but I thought I would pass this for now.

Bill Stine will be presenting a talk about his dads company Model Missiles Inc. He will also try to bring a few artifacts to display. I for one know very little about Model Missiles and look forward to learning about what I believe was the first model rocket company in the US.

Vern Estes will be presenting a talk as well. I could tell you what it was going to be about but what fun would that be.

John Boren

tbzep
01-15-2013, 11:29 PM
Vern Estes will be presenting a talk as well. I could tell you what it was going to be about but what fun would that be.
I hope somebody videos every talk that Mr. Estes and Mr. Piester make at these events and makes them available at some point. I have at least 10 years to go before I can retire. Of course, they will still be going strong and I'll be the one that can't get my Hoverround wired to launch a cluster.

BEC
01-15-2013, 11:40 PM
Good heavens, John, you're really tempting me!

JumpJet
01-15-2013, 11:56 PM
Good heavens, John, you're really tempting me!

So what else is it going to take to get you to come?

A look into my basement workshop?
A personal guided tour of Estes?

I can only promise one of these :(

John Boren

Initiator001
01-16-2013, 02:00 AM
We still need to update the NSL2013 website about the banquet but I thought I would pass this for now.

Bill Stine will be presenting a talk about his dads company Model Missiles Inc. He will also try to bring a few artifacts to display. I for one know very little about Model Missiles and look forward to learning about what I believe was the first model rocket company in the US.

John Boren

Darn it, John!

The NSL just keeps getting better and better.! :)

I need to talk to my boss about getting that weekend off. :D

JumpJet
02-10-2013, 11:18 AM
I just wanted to remind everyone that Registrataion for this event is open at www.nsl2013.org.

The banquet will be held at Picasso Italian Grill. NSL will have the whole resturant to ourselves. This place is located about four miles from the Hotels. Next door will be a large vacant room where the Estes Display Models can be viewed before and after the dinner.

John Boren

BEC
02-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Thanks. I've broached the idea with my wife and not been told "no". But as a practical matter I have to wait to book anything until after I know whether we are going on strike or not - and if we are the funds will go that direction instead. *sigh*

BEC
02-23-2013, 12:05 AM
Well..... no strike for us, though what will happen to my Tech colleagues is still open. So now I can start thinking more seriously about NSL.

Now I have to figure out whether to take a 2-hard-day road trip (and bring my own motors as well as models, and a table and a shade canopy and.....) or fly to Denver and rent a car (and have to pick up motors on site as well as deal with all the other fun air travel and renting cars is, as well as mooch off of someone else for shade and table at the flying site).

I'd need various Estes or Quest motors (18, 24mm) and some 1-3 grain 29mm CTI reloads if I were to purchase locally. How available will such things be?

JumpJet
02-23-2013, 10:52 AM
You will want to fly into Colorado Springs if at all possible. It's only a 45 minute trip down 25 to the Hotels. Denver will take you a good couple of hours. So this typically means you fly to Denver, then transfer to a small regional jet to get to CO. Springs. In fact this is about the only way to get a flight into the Springs these days. There is also a Hobby Town USA Hobby Shop about 15 minutes from the airport if you need to pick any thing up that you need.

839 N Academy Blvd
Colorado Springs
(719) 637-0404

The only rocket related place to purchase stuff in Pueblo is the Hobby Lobby about five minutes from the hotel.

We will have onsite vendors You can pre order composite Motors heres. I also believe Apogee will be on site selling motors as well.

Company Name: Giant Leap Rocketry, Inc.
Contact Name: Jeffrey “Motojoe” Hinton
Email: motojoe4glr@yahoo.com
Telephone: 303-859-9728
Description: High Power rocket motors and motor hardware – Aerotech and Cesaroni. Please pre order on line to assure availability on site. Payment at time of order preferable. Place order by April 26th at the latest. Designate “No shipping – pick up at NSL.”

John Boren

BEC
02-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Good info....surprisingly flights to Colorado Springs (at the moment) are cheaper than flying to Denver (though that may not hold after I add baggage charges on UAL/CAL). It would be a 737-700 to Denver then a DeHavilland Dash-8 turboprop down I-25 to Colorado Springs.

I've used a hard plastic golf club case to transport model airplanes in the past. I think I could get my Leviathan and a number of smaller rockets in it.

Food for thought. Thanks!

JumpJet
02-23-2013, 06:22 PM
I was lucky enough to fly on that turbo prop one time. I was sitted in the very rear of the plane. Very loud compare to a jet. The flight only takes about 15 minutes to get to the Springs. Most of the flight time you are either climbing to altitude or descending for landing.

John Boren

BEC
03-06-2013, 10:19 PM
OK - registration and banquet ticket purchased and road trip plans underway. My wife will fly into Denver on Monday afternoon after NSL is over and then we will go visit family in New Mexico for the next week and a half or so starting with a trip to Santa Fe on Tuesday after NSL. We've not done a road trip together - kids or no kids - in many years.....

The main reason she's not coming for the trip out is that she has some work/church obligations that would make the timing too tight. But I might get her out to a BMR launch in Eastern Washington next month.

mojo1986
03-07-2013, 07:30 AM
I hope somebody videos every talk that Mr. Estes and Mr. Piester make at these events and makes them available at some point. I have at least 10 years to go before I can retire. Of course, they will still be going strong and I'll be the one that can't get my Hoverround wired to launch a cluster.

:chuckle:

Blushingmule
04-17-2013, 02:28 PM
Hi All,

I just finished registering a friend and myself for NSL.

Kinda' dorky registration once past the initial registration of 2 persons. The t-shirt, raffle ticket
and banquet registration showed 1 attendee even after an order of 2 of each. I'm going to assume
that all is well. Then again, I could be reading into something that's not there...

See y'all there!

Bob

JumpJet
05-09-2013, 09:24 AM
NSL is just around the corner, so if you’re planning on coming please take the time to register. Also please register for the Saturday Night Banquet with guest speakers Bill Stine and Vern Estes. The food should be great and all you can eat. We have the entire restaurant to ourselves and we need to pack it full to cover its cost. Plus that’s the only place you will get to see a few hundred Estes Model Rocket Show Models on Display. If you have always wondered what the actual colors of the original models were, this is the place to be.

John Boren

BEC
05-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Hey John,

For recovery system planning purposes, what sort of spring winds should I plan for? Right up to the 20 MPH limit? (I grew up in New Mexico, I have some idea what that can be like a little earlier in the year.)

I've been in a model-building frenzy but would like to be properly prepared from a parachute sizing point of view (and have streamers for some if needed).

I will also definitely have two models provisioned for the new 29mm BP motors. Both are now complete (well, clear coat is still needed on one).

JumpJet
05-09-2013, 11:49 AM
what sort of spring winds should I plan for?

That's a tough question to answer. Winds can go from NONE to you don't want to fly. Usually the winds are low in the morning and could build around noon. Some times it stays nice all day long. The last two week ends the weather has been great with low winds all weekend.

Best case, bring multiple size chutes for your models. We have LOTS of room out here for recovery so if you see the general direction where the model came down, most likley you will find it.

John Boren

BEC
05-09-2013, 01:02 PM
OK. That's kind of what I was thinking I needed to do... I was just hoping to narrow it down :)

Thanks.

Initiator001
05-10-2013, 12:52 PM
I will also definitely have two models provisioned for the new 29mm BP motors.

I will be bringing several models which 'could' fly on the new 29mm BP motors. ;)

ghrocketman
05-10-2013, 01:24 PM
I want to hear about and see several flights on the new Estes 29mm motors from the NSL.
Would also like to hear information about availability dates, how they will be packaged, and MSRP.

These were certed quite a while ago...why don't we have them in our hands yet ??????

JumpJet
05-11-2013, 01:48 PM
These were certed quite a while ago...why don't we have them in our hands yet ??????

Sorry, but right on the package of the E16 anf F15 motors it says not for use by ghrocketman. ;)
You can always watch others fly them.

John Boren

Shamous
05-13-2013, 09:41 AM
I'm all registered and looking forward to attending.

ghrocketman
05-13-2013, 10:02 AM
John, that's AWFUL.
Funny, but awful.
I wanna see a pic of that pak, and it better not look like a "Wacky Package" sticker. :D

JumpJet
05-13-2013, 10:26 AM
"Wacky Package" sticker

Oh my GOD!

I haven't heard that name in more years then I care to remember. I actually collected those for a while.

John Boren

ghrocketman
05-13-2013, 10:38 AM
My Avatar by my name on YORF is a Wacky Package.

Carl@Semroc
05-14-2013, 09:03 PM
Flight, car and registration paid for NSL 2013! Motel and packing next.

Thanks to John Boren and Sheryl for their insistence on me going. John's offer to put me up, feed me and drive me around for the weekend goes way beyond what I would ever expect from a friend. Rocketry sure brings out the best in people. I will take John up on a meal, but Sheryl paid the rest as a birthday present to me. I am still not sure if I will be a vendor, flyer or just a visitor. Flying to an event is new for me. Visiting the "Model Rocket Capital" of the world is something that only Ye Olde Rocket People understand. I have to breathe some of that Penrose air again! The flying field at Pueblo is one of the best I have ever visited. Have to build something.....

(OK Carl. Try to calm down. Deep breaths.)

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-14-2013, 09:08 PM
My Avatar by my name on YORF is a Wacky Package.
We used to buy them at Tank & Tummy, a convenience store midway between my house and my Grandparents. (First place I ever pumped gas. Into Grandpa's AMC Hornet.) I had a huge box of Wacky Packages, but they "disappeared" much like the rest of my youthful treasures. Tank & Tummy is a dental office today. :rolleyes:

BEC
05-14-2013, 09:09 PM
Carl,

Well....if it comes to that, I'll have at least the following Semroc rockets with me: a Maxi Micron with Booster-18, a Centurion F, a Starship Excalibur, a Mini Aero Dart and a Bandit. You're welcome to fly any of them if you can't bring anything/don't have time to build any.

added: I forgot the biggest one: SLS Aero Dart...with mounts for 24mm, 29mm composite (Estes retainer) and 29mm BP (the new Estes motors).

Carl@Semroc
05-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Carl,

Well....if it comes to that, I'll have at least the following Semroc rockets with me: a Maxi Micron with Booster-18, a Centurion F, a Starship Excalibur, and a Bandit. You're welcome to fly any of them if you can't bring anything/don't have time to build any.Thanks. I am looking forward to seeing you there!

JumpJet
05-14-2013, 09:57 PM
Carl,

If you want to build something while your here my shop is your shop, I've got lots of stuff to build with. If you need some Estes motors, just let me know I'm sure I've got a few hundred in my basement just collecting dust.

John Boren

BEC
05-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Collecting dust? Well, that will never do :D

JumpJet
05-14-2013, 10:45 PM
If anyone else is planning on going to NSL this year it would be great if you can sign up for the launch, T-Shirts and Banquet by tomorrow say 6:00 PM, Mountain Time. We need to supply the restaurant the number of people attending the banquet and the T-Shirt vendor the number of different shirt sizes to produce by Thursday morning. You of course can always sign up to fly at the field but we will have a very limited amount of T-Shirts on hand to sale and I'm not sure how many extra people we would be allow to add to the banquet at the last minute.

To sign up for NSL, go here

http://www.nsl2013.org/nsl-2013/registration/

John Boren

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-14-2013, 10:51 PM
Carl,

If you want to build something while your here my shop is your shop, I've got lots of stuff to build with. If you need some Estes motors, just let me know I'm sure I've got a few hundred in my basement just collecting dust.

John Boren
Hope none of them are E9-8s.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l529/rmortis/271_zpsf8971670.jpg (http://s1122.photobucket.com/user/rmortis/media/271_zpsf8971670.jpg.html)

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l529/rmortis/095_zps9200e3fb.jpg (http://s1122.photobucket.com/user/rmortis/media/095_zps9200e3fb.jpg.html)

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l529/rmortis/098_zps028c7408.jpg (http://s1122.photobucket.com/user/rmortis/media/098_zps028c7408.jpg.html)

They don't seem to age well. :rolleyes: :chuckle:

Initiator001
05-15-2013, 01:08 PM

Thanks to John Boren and Sheryl for their insistence on me going. John's offer to put me up, feed me and drive me around for the weekend goes way beyond what I would ever expect from a friend. Rocketry sure brings out the best in people. I will take John up on a meal, but Sheryl paid the rest as a birthday present to me. I am still not sure if I will be a vendor, flyer or just a visitor. Flying to an event is new for me. Visiting the "Model Rocket Capital" of the world is something that only Ye Olde Rocket People understand. I have to breathe some of that Penrose air again! The flying field at Pueblo is one of the best I have ever visited. Have to build something.....

I look forward to seeing you again, Carl. :)

Bill
05-15-2013, 05:08 PM

Have fun, Carl.

I will not get to see you this year at NSL or NARAM. :(

Bill

Carl@Semroc
05-15-2013, 09:18 PM
I look forward to seeing you again, Carl. :)
I look forward to seeing you as well and watching your collection fly.

Carl@Semroc
05-15-2013, 09:20 PM
Have fun, Carl.

I will not get to see you this year at NSL or NARAM. :(

BillBill,
It will be the one of the few times you have not attended. All of us will miss you at NARAM this year.

Tau Zero
05-15-2013, 10:43 PM
I have to breathe some of that Penrose air again! The flying field at Pueblo is one of the best I have ever visited. Have to build something.....

(OK Carl. Try to calm down. Deep breaths.)Remember the air is substantially thinner than what you're usually used to. ;) :D

Elevation of:

Knightdale, North Carolina: 350 feet above sea level

Pueblo, Colorado: 4662 feet

( From http://www.usbeacon.com )

Cheers,

sandman
05-15-2013, 10:53 PM
HA! I'm more than twice as high up as Carl at 720 feet. :rolleyes:

JumpJet
05-18-2013, 01:00 PM
It looks like we will have a good 100 fliers signed up for NSL plus the ones that sign up on site at the field . We should easily meet our 80 people for the banquet so this evening event should be very enjoyable as well. For those attending NSL, while driving out to the field just look for a 13-1/2 foot tall Nike Asp standing next to the entrace to the field. It will be on the right side of the road.

John Boren

Initiator001
05-19-2013, 11:52 PM
I have my NSL rockets all ready to be loaded in the car on Wednesday. ;)

Royatl
05-20-2013, 02:40 AM
I have my NSL rockets all ready to be loaded in the car on Wednesday. ;)

Ok, I'm just gonna throw a few into the back seat :). Gotta get at least one of the Hustlers ready.

How far do you have to drive? I'm going to try to get to Lawrence, Ks by Thursday night and to Pueblo via Denver by late Friday afternoon. About 150 miles further than if I took Highway 40, but I really don't want to drive 200 miles on a two lane road.

BEC
05-20-2013, 09:13 AM
My box of rockets is packed for loading on Wednesday as well. I see another Aero Dart in that picture, Bob.

Many other things to do yet....including a review by the 737 MAX program manager of a project I've been working on since before the first of the year - that's in a little less than two hours :eek:

Initiator001
05-20-2013, 12:27 PM
How far do you have to drive? I'm going to try to get to Lawrence, Ks by Thursday night and to Pueblo via Denver by late Friday afternoon. About 150 miles further than if I took Highway 40, but I really don't want to drive 200 miles on a two lane road.

It's about 1200 miles each way for me.

I'll be taking I-40 East until I reach Albuquerque and then take I-25 North.

See you Friday!

Initiator001
05-20-2013, 12:29 PM
My box of rockets is packed for loading on Wednesday as well. I see another Aero Dart in that picture, Bob.

Good eyes.

Yes, an Semroc SLS Aero-Dart and Hustler.

JumpJet
05-28-2013, 09:23 AM
Below is a link that will take you to a few hundred photos of the NSL 2013 event.

https://picasaweb.google.com/100407756744853308407/NSL2013PuebloCO#

John Boren

ghrocketman
05-28-2013, 11:11 AM
So have there been flights on the new Estes 29mm BP SU E16 and F15 motors ?
Impressions ?
Any further info on these ? Packaging ? Pricing ? Availability date ?

pterodactyl
05-29-2013, 08:59 AM
Thanks for posting the link to the photo page. There are some outstanding shots in there along with a bunch of familiar faces!