PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Paint on Model Rockets

jonrev
10-26-2006, 08:37 PM
I'm planning on repainting one of my rockets. Currently it is painted silver, but next month I want to paint it with that Krylon Metallic Chrome paint. Does this paint work on rockets or will it chip (or anything of the sorts).

bikegod
10-28-2006, 08:26 PM
I did use (once on a Gemini DC) something called TrimKote.
Consider it self adhesive gift wrap. Comes in chrome, and went on smooth. 4"x 58" roll. Available wherever RC planes are sold.

I never had any luck (personally) with any form of Chrome paint. It just never looked Chrome to me.

But that is just my $.02

dtomko
10-28-2006, 09:53 PM
Trim Monokote in chrome is great for body tubes and fins. It is really shiny. If you are covering a nose cone, you will need paint, though. I haven't used the Krylon, but I would imagine if you rough up the plastic surface of a cone a bit it should be fine. I have actually gotten pretty good chrome finishes from Testor's rattle can chrome, but you have to be careful not to put it on too thick and the humidity needs to be low.

Drew

barone
10-29-2006, 12:17 AM
I've had some good luck with the metal finish paints, both gold and silver. My problem comes when you try to clear coat them. Really messed up the shine for me.

jonrev
10-29-2006, 10:39 AM
Does the paint scratch really easy?