PDA

View Full Version : Bug in Fins on NC?

jharding58
08-05-2013, 05:38 PM
I have been using Rocksim 9 to play with a rkt file copied from the Semroc Snake Jumper to Groony a Fireball XL5. I have added four small triangular fins on the forward part of the BT. Everything was fine. I then decided to move the fins from the BT out on to the NC by using the definition of from the nose tip for position. This enabled using the automatic curvature calculation for the base of the fin, which worked perfectly also. I then attempted to make a change to the fin dimension by clicking on the fin plot point (custom fin defined) to move the tip of the fin further from the NC increasing the X dimension. The program basically locks up. The cursor locks into a selection tool (finger) and the disk drive spins up. Not sure if this would clear if I waited, but CTRL ALT DEL drops to the OS, which if you cancel the operation then Rocksim is still open and the last moved location of the plot point has been painted.

I have attached the .rkt file so this could be duplicated. If you select the forward fin set (third down in the fins on the hierarchy) and attempt to change the tip position to increase the span or chord it should lock up. Any ideas?

Running:

Apogee Components RockSim
Version: 9.1.4f145
Copyright: 2013 Paul L. Fossey
Production release, Build: 145

Windows 7 Professional
SP 1
64 bit OS 2.53 GHz
4.0 GB RAM

CPMcGraw
08-06-2013, 11:50 AM
...attempted to make a change to the fin dimension by clicking on the fin plot point (custom fin defined) to move the tip of the fin further from the NC increasing the X dimension. The program basically locks up...

I'm not sure I'm duplicating your changes, but I was able to move the "point" of the fin (tip) outward without causing a lock-up. I could also move it forward and rearward without a lock-up, too.

I'm running the same version of RockSim 9 as you, but on Linux under Wine 1.6.

Attached is a copy of your file, with my changes per your description. I also changed the measurement from the NC tip, just playing around. Still no crash. If this doesn't show what you're describing, I'll try something different.

jharding58
08-06-2013, 12:15 PM
Thanks Craig. I still get the app locking up if I change the position of any of the fin plot points. And it seems to be the case with any of the defined fins not just that forward set. I suppose that it must be something in my environment because the drive definitely spins up as soon as I click on one of the plot points.

CPMcGraw
08-07-2013, 10:30 AM
Thanks Craig. I still get the app locking up if I change the position of any of the fin plot points. And it seems to be the case with any of the defined fins not just that forward set. I suppose that it must be something in my environment because the drive definitely spins up as soon as I click on one of the plot points.

Try installing RocSim on another machine, if you have one available. RocSim shouldn't cause excessive drive spin-up, though Windows uses the drive a lot when swapping out portions of the main memory with the contents of the swap file. You might also want to check your resources usage, Windows may be filling up the "C" drive to the point where it's struggling to find any free swap space.

I liked setting up separate partitions on Windows machines when I was using it. I'd create one just for the swap file, larger than what was usually recommended, so that the swap file didn't have to compete for space.