PDA

View Full Version : Estes Mecury Redstone 2167 Body Tubes

TXFergie
08-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Good afternoon.....after a few year hiatus from building/launching, I am getting back into the sport.....again! I was going through my tubs of unbuilt rockets and taking inventory, and I found my Mercury Redstone Kit (Estes #2167). Upon looking at it further, I noticed that the ends of both main body tubes were more square than they were round. This is the main body tube and the shorter tube with cutouts for TTW fins.

Question - where is a good source for the ST-20 body tubes? If I found a replacement, could I just use one long piece of tubing vs. having to use the tube coupler? I've looked around a little bit but I thought I would come to the experts. Thanks!

A Fish Named Wallyum
08-10-2013, 04:21 PM
Good afternoon.....after a few year hiatus from building/launching, I am getting back into the sport.....again! I was going through my tubs of unbuilt rockets and taking inventory, and I found my Mercury Redstone Kit (Estes #2167). Upon looking at it further, I noticed that the ends of both main body tubes were more square than they were round. This is the main body tube and the shorter tube with cutouts for TTW fins.

Question - where is a good source for the ST-20 body tubes? If I found a replacement, could I just use one long piece of tubing vs. having to use the tube coupler? I've looked around a little bit but I thought I would come to the experts. Thanks!
http://www.semroc.com/Store/Scripts/default.asp

kurtschachner
08-10-2013, 05:17 PM
Yes, if you don't put in the baffle like Centuri used. That's the reason they split the tube into two parts. On both of my Centuri clones I used a single piece of ST-20.

If I found a replacement, could I just use one long piece of tubing vs. having to use the tube coupler?

jharding58
08-10-2013, 05:32 PM

Use the Semroc tubing and cut the TTW slots if you want to keep a singe tube. Bear in mind that the original model tube is about 19 1/2 inches long If you want you can use the original coupler to be placed as close to the top of the motor mount. Cut down the lower tune with the TTW slots and use that as the lower section, then use the Semroc tube for the main airframe. If you do then you can leave a small gap in the two which better simulates the bolt trench just above the fins. The ridiculous pictures are trying to show you that the lower tube section will be 2 11/16 inches long, while the upper tube will be 17 13/32 inches long.

TXFergie
08-11-2013, 02:45 PM
I looked at the ST-20100 tube from Semroc, but it looks like it is only 10" long. Do you know if they have anything longer, or should I contact them directly?

BEC
08-11-2013, 03:31 PM
Just look at the web page. Longest ST-20 is 18 inches.