PDA

View Full Version : Estes GYROC Build Started

hcmbanjo
12-17-2013, 11:20 PM
I've started a build of the
Estes GYROC

On my building blog at:
http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/

This time I finally figured out how to do the hold down tabs.
Stop by and follow the progress.

A Fish Named Wallyum
12-17-2013, 11:37 PM
Excellent! I have a Thrustline Gyroc that has me spooked, and based on your story about your initial flight I'd say my fears are well founded. :cool:

Ironnerd
12-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Gyrocs are a blast! Mine always did a slow spiral on the way up, but not too bad. Looking back, I could have shimmed the tabs by placing tape on the motor.

I'll have to follow this one :)

Bob H
12-18-2013, 12:33 PM
Gyroc's are fun.

Couple things to watch out for:

The flap has the grain running parallel to the hinge line. The first one I had warped along the grain when I sealed it but fortunately, the warp was in the opposite direction on each of the fins so it rotated up as well as down. With the grain running that way the flaps were subject to easy breakage.

I covered subsequent clones with label paper on the fins to solve the problem.

You are going to use CD label for the hinges. I used hinges from VCR labels on one of my clones and the glue was not sticky enough to stand up to the stress of repeated launching and I lost one of the flaps during boost on the third flight of that one.

Bill Gibson
12-18-2013, 04:45 PM
Hey Chris! I cant wait to see that one finished! Knowing you as i do, it will be PERFECT! I remember as a kid, tryin to scratch up 5 bucks to get that FREE KIT! I think they also offered Astron Marks as freebees for any order over 5 bucks also! What a GREAT time to be a kid!!

hcmbanjo
12-19-2013, 10:10 AM
To Fish Named Wallyum,
It took 35 years and really studying the instructions to get the tabs right.
The hold down tabs on my first Gyroc build (from the 1970s) was way off.

To Ironnerd,
Mine also did a slow spiral during boost on it's first flight.

To Bob H,
I cut the fins with the grain as shown in the instructions, but haven't had any warping - yet.
I used 1/16" balsa like the old kit, more prone to warps and breakage down the grain line.
The CD label hinges I used have held up very well, there is no lifting at all - yet.

To Bill Gibson,
You might see this Gyroc at a launch. This one ain't perfect!
Still, a good active new member of the fleet.
Check out the BMS clone, For $10.00 you can't go wrong.
It's a good deal and a lot easier than cutting out all the balsa.
It brought back a lot of memories.

Scott6060842
12-19-2013, 06:42 PM
Gyrocs are cool. Great and easy way to round out a launch and to use up those pesky A8-3's I always seem to accumulate.

dlazarus6660
12-28-2013, 08:07 AM
Gyrocs are cool. Great and easy way to round out a launch and to use up those pesky A8-3's I always seem to accumulate.

I love the A8-3's motors. They're perfect for flying the Estes Alpha rocket or the Centuri equivalent.

mojo1986
12-28-2013, 10:48 AM
For the last few years I have used ordinary clear packing tape for hinges. If you have a smooth surface (Krylon coated paint, for example), it sticks like doggie doo doo to a baby blanket and is very durable. It's lightweight too..........use two layers for extra durability.