PDA

View Full Version : Another SR-71 Blackbird Pilot Interview Story.

dlazarus6660
03-12-2014, 03:28 PM
Another SR-71 Blackbird Pilot Interview Story.

I found this story on another web site. It was published March 7th, 2014.

Enjoy!

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/3/7/5447310/sr-71-blackbird-pilot-interview

jharding58
03-12-2014, 08:44 PM
My brother's Father in Law flew SR-71's out of Kadena. Prior to that he flew Air America/609th A-26s in SE Asia, and ultimately a J-3 and Coupe from his home strip in Henegar, AL. He never said a word about missions and would simply smile when people would begin to conjecture on the capabilities of the aircraft. That was an officer and a gentleman that served to keep America informed and safe. And man he could fly.

mushtang
03-13-2014, 08:03 AM
Also, half the crew that suited you and de-suited you were female. You had a great working relationship with them. You just hated to come back in with poop in your pants. There's a lot of stuff in the job that isn't in the shiny brochure.

Definitely less glamorous than other aspects of the job.

dlazarus6660
03-13-2014, 09:28 AM
My father was once asked to become a U-2 pilot. He said he couldn't stand to be cooped up for that length of time. Flying the twin and four engine planes he flew gave him the freedom to get up out of the seat, stretch his legs, use the head, get a cup of coffee and a doughnut or sandwich. It took a special breed to fly the U-2 or SR-71.

blackshire
03-13-2014, 12:11 PM
My father was once asked to become a U-2 pilot. He said he couldn't stand to be cooped up for that length of time. Flying the twin and four engine planes he flew gave him the freedom to get up out of the seat, stretch his legs, use the head, get a cup of coffee and a doughnut or sandwich. It took a special breed to fly the U-2 or SR-71.I think Francis Gary Powers mentioned something about wanting to scratch an itch on his nose during one flight, and how being unable to do so for hours (because of the necessity of keeping the helmet's faceplate sealed--it might not re-seal properly if opened) made him an expert at mental self-divorcement, thinking about anything *but* the itch all the way across the Soviet Union.

mbauer
03-14-2014, 09:55 AM
I think Francis Gary Powers mentioned something about wanting to scratch an itch on his nose during one flight, and how being unable to do so for hours (because of the necessity of keeping the helmet's faceplate sealed--it might not re-seal properly if opened) made him an expert at mental self-divorcement, thinking about anything *but* the itch all the way across the Soviet Union.
U2 Itchy nose? kind 0f like this-Must have sound on.
http://www.wimp.com/breathtakingfootage/

Mike

blackshire
03-14-2014, 07:31 PM
U2 Itchy nose? kind 0f like this-Must have sound on.
http://www.wimp.com/breathtakingfootage/

MikeAnd that was a (two-seat) U-2R, which is larger in all dimensions than the original 1950s U-2s that Powers flew--his cockpit was quite cramped!

mbauer
03-15-2014, 11:20 AM
And that was a (two-seat) U-2R, which is larger in all dimensions than the original 1950s U-2s that Powers flew--his cockpit was quite cramped!
I've read the book Gary Powers wrote. Great read and some very interesting insights!

Very capable pilot for sure. Lots of media crap about him, but if he was so bad of a pliot and person, why did Kelly Johnson hire him as a test pilot?

Loaned it to a friend and now it is gone. Will be searching later today for another copy!

Thanks for reminding me about it.

Mike

mbauer
03-15-2014, 11:25 AM
Here is a link to my favorite SR 71 story by another who flew them. Creates vivid mind photos.....
http://www.vfp62.com/SR-71_flyby.html

Would have very much liked to have seen that flyby....Although reading the story you can almost see it anyway!

Mike

blackshire
03-16-2014, 07:20 AM
I've read the book Gary Powers wrote. Great read and some very interesting insights!

Very capable pilot for sure. Lots of media crap about him, but if he was so bad of a pliot and person, why did Kelly Johnson hire him as a test pilot?

Loaned it to a friend and now it is gone. Will be searching later today for another copy!

Thanks for reminding me about it.

MikeAbeBooks has nearly 100 copies of Operation Overflight: The U-2 Spy Pilot Tells His Story for The First Time available (see: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=Powers%2C+Francis+Gary&sts=t&tn=Operation+Overflight ), and they're cheap (just $3.47 *including postage*, at the "lowest end"). Also:

Some of the funny (mostly in retrospect) occurrences included when he asked his defense attorney (Mikhail Grinev, I believe his name was) if he was a member of the Soviet Communist Party, and when he said "Yes," Powers' reaction was basically, "I'm dead" (he was sure they were going to execute him). His descriptions of circa 1960 Soviet dental technology (including multiple attempts to fill a cavity) were also...interesting. After he was released and returned home, his mother asked what he'd like her to fix for dinner to celebrate, and she was stunned when he said simply, "A baked potato." He explained that after having had boiled potatoes for two-plus years, a baked potato was a rare treat!

mbauer
03-16-2014, 01:45 PM
AbeBooks has nearly 100 copies of Operation Overflight: The U-2 Spy Pilot Tells His Story for The First Time available (see: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=Powers%2C+Francis+Gary&sts=t&tn=Operation+Overflight ), and they're cheap (just $3.47 *including postage*, at the "lowest end"). Also:

Some of the funny (mostly in retrospect) occurrences included when he asked his defense attorney (Mikhail Grinev, I believe his name was) if he was a member of the Soviet Communist Party, and when he said "Yes," Powers' reaction was basically, "I'm dead" (he was sure they were going to execute him). His descriptions of circa 1960 Soviet dental technology (including multiple attempts to fill a cavity) were also...interesting. After he was released and returned home, his mother asked what he'd like her to fix for dinner to celebrate, and she was stunned when he said simply, "A baked potato." He explained that after having had boiled potatoes for two-plus years, a baked potato was a rare treat!
Yes, very good book! Interesting to read about the shootdown! Well worth the price of the book.

Bought one on ebay yesterday that had free priority shipping, should be here by Friday. Hardbound First edition.....$10

Forgot all about the book until you mentioned some of his quotes a couple of threads ago. Thank you!

Mike

blackshire
03-17-2014, 04:16 AM
Yes, very good book! Interesting to read about the shootdown! Well worth the price of the book.

Bought one on ebay yesterday that had free priority shipping, should be here by Friday. Hardbound First edition.....$10

Forgot all about the book until you mentioned some of his quotes a couple of threads ago. Thank you!

MikeGood! I also bought a copy from an AbeBooks bookseller last night, for $7.29 (its dust jacket has a stained corner). Also:

This reminded me of his humorous spy training stories. The CIA officer had a radio on while briefing the U-2 pilots (to detect any electronic "bugs" in the room), and Powers, being a very neophyte spy (by his own admission, making reference to the 'cloak & dagger stuff'), got up and turned it off so that it wouldn't distract him, and the CIA officer glared at him. He looked back with a puzzled expression (as if to say, "What?"), and the CIA officer realized that he'd have to teach him "Espionage 101" and not assume the pilots had any instincts for that kind of work. :-)