PDA

View Full Version : JATO "legality?"

blackshire
04-04-2014, 03:48 AM
Hello All,

I know that it is not permissible (any more, although I've seen it done in an older issue of American Aircraft Modeler) to launch model rockets--especially horizontally--from R/C model airplanes. BUT...

Is it allowed to use model rocket motors as JATO (or RATO) motors on R/C models? As long as the spent motors aren't dropped from the model (-or- if the motors eject themselves and descend under streamers or parachutes), they would seem to be safe to use, especially with R/C-initiated ignition. In addition to powering more "orthodox" propeller-driven or jet (ducted fan or turbine) models at takeoff, such JATO or RATO units could also boost scale models of cruise missiles (the Matador, Mace, Snark, Regulus I and II, etc.) into flight.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can shed light on this!

Rex R
04-04-2014, 04:11 AM
something like this perhaps? http://youtu.be/VUsvLNAiQ2E
Rex

Jerry Irvine
04-04-2014, 06:35 AM
Pretty much any use of a rocket motor in a captured fashion, such as on a controlled airplane or a static test or a sled is widely legal in 49 states.

In CA anything under their own separate model rocket limits is also fine. IIRC 453g initial mass and 125g propellant mass and 160N-s per motor, which I think is where the stupid NFPA rule spawned from. CA thresholds are obviously broken and not up to date. In addition only CA has a separate MRM approval process. Duh! NAR should lean on that. I tried and CA gave lip service and had numerous meetings only to do exactly nothing at all.

Jerry

astronwolf
04-04-2014, 07:34 AM
In addition only CA has a separate MRM approval process. Duh! NAR should lean on that. I tried and CA gave lip service and had numerous meetings only to do exactly nothing at all.
States' Rights?

jadebox
04-04-2014, 07:48 AM
NAR has a separate safety code for radio controlled rocket gliders.

http://www.nar.org/NARrcrbgsc.html

And rocket motors can be used under the AMA's safety codes for model aircraft.

-- Roger

blackshire
04-05-2014, 07:20 PM
I thank you all very much for your replies! The NAR RCRG (Radio-Controlled Rocket Glider) rules (along with the AMA allowing rocket motors to be used on model aircraft) certainly make JATO takeoffs of model aircraft (even re-enacting the first rocket plane [all-JATO powered] flights in the U.S., using an R/C scale Ercoupe model fitted with appropriate model rocket motors) sound "Kosher/Halal," 'rules-wise.'

ghrocketman
04-05-2014, 08:49 PM
I would launch 'em horizontally off of my R/C F-16 with zero regard for any smarmy safety codes from NAR or AMA.

blackshire
04-05-2014, 09:17 PM
I would launch 'em horizontally off of my R/C F-16 with zero regard for any smarmy safety codes from NAR or AMA.I go naked as often as I can (not for any "thrills," but simply because I'm more comfortable that way, and because it saves money otherwise spent on laundry soap), but when I go out in public, I wear the dreaded coverings in order to avoid being "fined *and/or* confined" (at least -these- shoes are removable, and not nailed on). Likewise:

When I fly models of any kind by myself, I follow the "Wiccan Safety Code" ("If it harms no one, do as ye will."). But when one is flying models with other folks, other--sometimes needlessly restrictive--rules are usually in effect, and that is why I posted the query about JATO-boosted model aircraft. I'm glad to see that this is another sanctioned application for model rocket motors, because it brings together two wonderful hobbies, whose adherents are often--and needlessly so--at odds with each other.