PDA

View Full Version : Solar Sailer fin dimensions

Green Dragon
01-27-2007, 01:56 PM
I'm starting a new 'pile ' for winter projects, like I need more, lol ... and this one is in the que, since I have an original uncut Parachute, and had this kit back in the day .

Have a quick question regarding the fin sizing.
Th eplans online do not have a 'inch' reference, and they looked small when I printed them, so just wanted to double check - if someone coule provide either the width of the balsa sheet ( to compare with the scans online ), or the actual dismensions ( ie: root length or something I can compare )

thanks in advance.

~ AL

GeoLaw
01-28-2007, 07:22 PM
I'm building an original Solar Sailer. The root length of the main fins are 3 and 13/32 inches.
As a cross check, the "width" of the fins (distance measured perpendicular to grain) is 2 and 25/32 inches. These fins were hand-cut from a (marked) sheet that was not die-cut. My dimensions may be off just a hair.

Good Luck. Pictures from your build would be appreciated. I'll get some pictures posted soon.

John Lawrence

Green Dragon
01-28-2007, 07:42 PM
John,
thanks for the info .

just measured the printed out patterns I downloaded, and the root edge is 3 3/4", so within cutting / scanning tolerance of what you posted.
wasn't sure if it had printed corret, since a few others I tried the same afternoon printed undersized ( possibly my fault with scaling, although I always be sure to turn off the ' fit to page' ,etc. .. jpg don;t always reprint the same from machine to machine, etc.

will be using the patterns I have, since they scaled out seemingly correct, not sure how long the build will be, could be a week, coule be 6 months, lol.. you know how it goes.

will keep posting.

~ AL