PDA

View Full Version : Estes Sequoia Build

scigs30
08-15-2015, 06:07 PM
This is another new kit from Estes, looks like another fun build will start on her tonight.

CPMcGraw
08-15-2015, 08:35 PM
Is that a 13mm design? Cool!

And real balsa turnings, too! Drool...

ghrocketman
08-15-2015, 09:42 PM
The designs from Penrose sure are getting better.
Estes has improved 1000% since they were purchased from that plastic toy clown by Hobbico.

JumpJet
08-16-2015, 12:45 AM
Estes has improved 1000% since they were purchased from that plastic toy clown by Hobbico

Better by careful ghrocketamn saying stuff like this; people may think your going soft on us.

I am very fortunate that Estes allows me to create just about anything I wish. I have some restrictions that I need to follow but I'm pretty free to create whatever I can think of. There are only two kits in the past five years that I haven't designed for Estes, other then a few direct bring backs. I can't please all the people all the time so I try to do a wide selection of designs. If all goes as planned I think ghrocketman will continue to be please with whats coming out over the next couple of years. I'm already designing and test flying stuff for the third and fourth quarters of 2016.

John Boren

ghrocketman
08-16-2015, 12:31 PM
You ROCK, John !

My wish list (and I'm sure does that of many others) of bring-backs includes :
At the top and WAY above all others: 1) 1/45 Centuri Little Joe II

2) 1/100 Saturn 1B
3) ANY/ALL original '72 Enerjet kits, but ESPECIALLY the Athena
4) Pershing 1A
5) Manta Bomber (uses same sci-fi cone as the new Cobra)
6) Arrow 300
7) K-21 sized Gemini-Titan
8) Sky Raider
9) Colossus with THICK-walled tubing and a 29mm mount so you can put real power to it.
10) Astron Scrambler

JumpJet
08-16-2015, 02:45 PM
Sorry to say you may\will only get two on this list

John Boren

ghrocketman
08-16-2015, 03:45 PM
If I had to guess which two on this list would be most likely, those would be the 1/100 Saturn 1B and the Manta Bomber.
I'm making these guesses based on the cone availability for the Manta Bomber and the capsule availability due to the last release of the Saturn V.

I know the 1/45 Little Joe II and the Pershing 1A maxi-brute probably won't happen due to the molds from the old ones being destroyed.
Honestly though, I would prefer ONE 1/45 Little Joe II versus having all NINE of those listed below.
Is the cost of a new mold for the 1/45 LJII so costly it is prohibitive ? If so, why not just turn a cone from balsa ? A ton of us BARs want one.

Bringing back the Rigel 3 two-stage fururistic bird would also be a good choice- the cone from the original Odyssey now exists in some new kits.

JumpJet
08-16-2015, 04:02 PM
If so, why not just turn a cone from balsa ?

You would then have to make the escape tower out of small wooden dowels and the fairing and small forward nose cone would have to be made out of paper or balsa. I believe that's how the Big Estes Saturn 1B version from 35 years ago was made. man, I must have been only 15 years old when I made that Saturn 1B.

Manta Bomber (uses same sci-fi cone as the new Cobra)

This cone is similar to the old Manta but since I liked the shape of this cone and there was NO tooling for it I made my version which has quite a bit of more detail to it. From a few feet a way you would never know the difference though.

Keep this just between you and me ;) But I've uncovered a WHOLE bunch of old nose cone blow mold tooling and IF they are usable by our vendor you are going to see a whole lot of old nose cones being used in either bring backs or stuff I create over the next several years This goes for both Scale, Sci-Fi and sport models.

John Boren

ghrocketman
08-16-2015, 04:31 PM
Very cool John !
Since the acquisition by Hobbico, we are really seeing a second 'golden age' of Estes/Centuri.
The bring backs, PSII, new 'futuristic'/'sci-fi' stuff, and Scale offerings are positively outstanding !
Keep it up !!!

Now if you could just remove whatever barrier exists to the B14.... :D
Sorry, had ta do it.

JumpJet
08-16-2015, 04:36 PM
SCIGS30

Sorry about all the posts on your build thread that aren't exactly related to your build.

So hows the build coming?

John Boren

scigs30
08-16-2015, 08:02 PM
John, keep the info coming I love it........well not really because it means more kits I have to build. I am sealing the balsa right now with Aerogloss balsa sealer. I wish Estes would put balsa sealer back into the instructions much easier and better results than one would get from 2 to 3 coats of primer and less sanding. My builds are much faster now and look ok. Here is my current build structure.
1. Separate all balsa parts give a light sanding with 320 and shape LE. Brush Balsa sealer, let dry and sand smooth with 400. Do this 2 to 3 times brushing sealer on nice and smooth, don't glob it on. Only takes a couple of min to sand. Only takes a couple hours to do this.
2. Build rocket with wood glue. Add fillet with wood glue let dry over night.
3. Prime once with Gray no sanding, same day hit with top coat. If adding another color re coat according to paint directions, 48 hours. Let last color dry 24 hours and apply decals and I am done.
If it wasn't for work I could build a rocket a week, not bad. :)

ghrocketman
08-16-2015, 09:47 PM
Sorry for the thread-jakkin' !

scigs30
08-22-2015, 10:39 PM
Once again busy at work, but was able to build rocket in one day. I sealed the balsa parts with 3 coats of Aergloss balsa sealer. This morning I shot a coat of gray primer, after a few hours I shot the gloss white top coat. I will let this dry for 48 hours then begin painting the blue and black followed by the decals.

scigs30
09-05-2015, 01:19 PM
Even though I have been busy at work I have been able to do some painting. The the Rustoleum white dried for 48 hours then I shot Rusto blue, another 48 hours then I shot Rusto black. As you can see the Aerogloss balsa sealer did a great job of filling the balsa. I will let the paint dry then apply the decals tomorrow I hope.

stefanj
09-05-2015, 05:03 PM
SHINY!

That really came out nicely.

That globe would make a nice prop if you set up a photo-shoot of scale kits.

Woody's Workshop
09-05-2015, 05:17 PM
I've been on the 13mm engine rocket kick this year.
It's a lot cheaper to fly, and that counts when you have no steady income.
Not only do they cost less to buy and fly, they are awesome on small fields to fly on.
I need to get one of these Saquoia's, and put the biggie motor in it.
I bet it will be an awexome flight on a small field.
Thanks for posting!

chrism
09-05-2015, 06:27 PM
Really nice finish!

scigs30
09-06-2015, 12:33 PM
Thanks for all the comments, really not a great picture taker with the setting on automatic mode. I finished adding the decals today and of course they went on perfectly.

Vanel
09-06-2015, 06:02 PM
Nice!

Woody's Workshop
09-07-2015, 07:09 AM
Very sweet, nicely done.
Please post a few pics of it's maiden voyage.
J