PDA

View Full Version : Looking for later version Centuri Black Widow Plans

rtuinila
10-24-2015, 02:39 PM
Hi Folks,

I thought JimZs site had the later version plans but when I got there, all the links were broken. Does anybody have a copy of them and would be willing to email them to me? Thanks!

Rex R
10-24-2015, 02:54 PM
all I could find are the early version here; http://www.oldrocketplans.com/centuri/cenKB-6/cenKB-6.htm
Rex

Joe Wooten
10-26-2015, 07:36 AM
Let me look in my files....

rtuinila
10-26-2015, 01:56 PM
Thanks!

samb
10-30-2015, 12:31 AM
Here is my copy of the Jimz plans with a couple of caveats :o :

I couldn't find the plan page with the fin templates. So I carefully traced them from the completed (5+ year old) model. They are a close approximation at best.

I had the cobweb decal at one time because it's on the rocket but I'll be dipped if I can find the file now. A couple of computer upgrades since I built this is my lame excuse.

Hope this helps.

rtuinila
10-30-2015, 04:51 AM
Samb, thank you so much!

It helps greatly!

Joe Wooten
10-30-2015, 07:03 AM
I just finished scanning the ones from my file, but looks like you beat me to posting them. I did not have the sustainer fin pattern, as it went bye-bye several years ago.....

hcmbanjo
10-30-2015, 09:37 AM
Here is my copy of the Jimz plans with a couple of caveats :o :
I couldn't find the plan page with the fin templates. So I carefully traced them from the completed (5+ year old) model. They are a close approximation at best.
I had the cobweb decal at one time because it's on the rocket but I'll be dipped if I can find the file now. A couple of computer upgrades since I built this is my lame excuse.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for posting the instructions and patterns.
That's the way instructions should be done!
Plenty of drawings and plenty of assembly copy.

Great work on the catalog paint pattern.
I tried that paint scheme in my teens but didn't get your results!

DaveR
10-30-2015, 10:06 AM
Better scan of fin patterns and decals toward bottom of file.

samb
10-30-2015, 02:34 PM
Thanks for posting the instructions and patterns.
That's the way instructions should be done!
Plenty of drawings and plenty of assembly copy.

They are a pleasure just to read. Clearly defined steps with more than a 5 word description and line drawing like something from a Renaissance masters sketchbook. A lost art perhaps, I'm glad my intro to the hobby came when this was SOP.

Great work on the catalog paint pattern.
I tried that paint scheme in my teens but didn't get your results!

Thanks. I see all the errors, of course :) . I used Frisket Film from HL to make the masks.

samb
10-30-2015, 02:37 PM
Better scan of fin patterns and decals toward bottom of file.

I'd say better by a mile, thanks DaveR. I was hoping someone else could provide the pieces I missed.

PaulK
10-31-2015, 11:21 AM
FWIW, eRockets has laser-cut fins for the later version. Just verify that they are 3/32" balsa, as Semroc was making some of them with 1/16" (way too thin). I had to make a special request to get the 3/32" ones, since they had made some of both.

Oh, and I have a copy of the TIFF files I saved from JimZ a few years ago if you want them.

samb
11-02-2015, 10:36 AM
FWIW, eRockets has laser-cut fins for the later version. Just verify that they are 3/32" balsa, as Semroc was making some of them with 1/16" (way too thin). I had to make a special request to get the 3/32" ones, since they had made some of both.

Oh, and I have a copy of the TIFF files I saved from JimZ a few years ago if you want them.

Thanks for the erockets info. And "Yes, please!" on the file offer. Thanks

Sheryl@Semroc
11-03-2015, 04:27 AM
[QUOTE=PaulK]FWIW, eRockets has laser-cut fins for the later version. Just verify that they are 3/32" balsa, as Semroc was making some of them with 1/16" (way too thin). I had to make a special request to get the 3/32" ones, since they had made some of both.

Paul is right. Just a note about fins. When we had just gotten our laser cutter and before we "opened for business", Carl and Bruce were practicing cutting fins for future kits. The Black Widow fins were first cut with the 1/16" then later 3/32". We realized that except for gliders, 1/16" was really too thin for most of our kits and switched to using mostly 3/32" unless someone asked for the 1/16".

Joe Wooten
11-13-2015, 08:51 AM
I was sitting at my workbench last night looking at all the various parts I have, and it hit me,

How about a slightly upscaled Black Widow that uses 24mm engines? It could probably use the same sized fins as the original.

I'm gonna fiddle around with this idea some more.....

stefanj
11-13-2015, 01:15 PM
A minimum-diameter 29mm Black Widow upscale that uses E16-0/F16-0 in the booster would be interesting.

Or better yet, LST-125 tube, so the fins could be TTW. (If only barely.)

Joe Wooten
11-13-2015, 01:30 PM
I was thinking more of one about the same length as the original, so it would have to use C11/D12 engines.