PDA

View Full Version : A Class Act is now gone

tmacklin
02-14-2016, 03:31 PM
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/269458-ginsburg-on-scalia-we-were-best-buddies

R.I.P Justice Antonin Scalia. You will be missed.

luke strawwalker
02-14-2016, 04:13 PM
Yes, so will the Constitution...

I don't trust the rest of them any further than I can throw them... with the exception of Clarence Thomas, I guess...

Later! OL J R :)

Closet Astronaut
02-14-2016, 05:10 PM
I saw the segment on him this morning on Sunday Morning. The first thing I said to my wife was "Oh crap! Obama get to appoint the replacement before he leaves office", this bodes bad for the constitution. But I also saw a glimmer of hope, Cruz plans to filibuster the nomination. I guess we'll really get to see how spongy the republican party's backbone has become in the next few days.

rtuinila
02-14-2016, 06:55 PM
I'm sorry but I cannot agree . If anyone has done more damage to the Constitution and the United State than Justice Scalia I don't know who that would be other than the four other Justices that voted for Citizens United. All of them should have been impeached for selling all of you to the highest bidder!

tmacklin
02-14-2016, 08:00 PM
Don't you just hate it when the Grim Reaper beats congress to the punch and thwarts the opportunity to rake someone over the coals in an impeachment proceeding?

georgegassaway
02-14-2016, 09:43 PM
Class act.... Maurice White of Earth, Wind, and Fire died Feb 4th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl-WSmryfSY

http://i.imgur.com/1LK5uhJ.jpg

tmacklin
02-14-2016, 10:57 PM
The point of my original post was that even though Justices Scalia and Ginsberg had profound differences of opinion with regard to issues before the Supreme Court, they were able to not only be civil to each other but actually become close friends as evidenced by the article I cited.

Unfortunately, some rocket enthusiasts are either unable or unwilling to put aside their differences with others. Their egos just won't allow it.

rtuinila
02-15-2016, 10:09 AM
Class act.... Maurice White of Earth, Wind, and Fire died Feb 4th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl-WSmryfSY

http://i.imgur.com/1LK5uhJ.jpg

Now that was a Class Act!

rtuinila
02-15-2016, 10:12 AM
The point of my original post was that even though Justices Scalia and Ginsberg had profound differences of opinion with regard to issues before the Supreme Court, they were able to not only be civil to each other but actually become close friends as evidenced by the article I cited.

Unfortunately, some rocket enthusiasts are either unable or unwilling to put aside their differences with others. Their egos just won't allow it.

Good point about being civil and becoming friends but it doesn't change my opinion of Scalia.

tmacklin
02-15-2016, 10:53 AM
Good point about being civil and becoming friends but it doesn't change my opinion of Scalia.

And you are entitled to your opinion. Perhaps you should lobby your congressional representative and urge him/her to initiate impeachment proceedings against the other four remaining justices who sided with Citizens United before they conspire yet again? :rolleyes:

bernomatic
02-15-2016, 11:35 AM
Lots of people died so far this month.

Now here is one that really was a shame.

tmacklin
02-15-2016, 11:41 AM

Only 34 years of age, sad indeed. There's a Go-Fund-Me page set up for her kid. I'm sure George will dig deep.

samb
02-15-2016, 02:33 PM
RIP Justice Scalia. Not the first to go against the perceived conservative/liberal grain. For me, the nomination and confirmation process will be THE story of 2016. Justices "rule" for life.

tbzep
02-15-2016, 03:09 PM
He was one of the few unanimous confirmations, which shows his character and devotion to the constitution. There will likely never be another the way politics go these days.
http://www.senate.gov/pagelayout/reference/nominations/Nominations.htm

Joe Shockcord
02-15-2016, 03:29 PM
RIP Justice Scalia. Not the first to go against the perceived conservative/liberal grain. For me, the nomination and confirmation process will be THE story of 2016. Justices "rule" for life.
It all depends:
www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/02/dems_in_senate_passed_a_resolution_in1960_against_election_year_supreme_court_appointments.html

Ltvscout
02-15-2016, 05:35 PM

Who is that? I guess I live under a rock.

tmacklin
02-15-2016, 05:43 PM
Who is that? I guess I live under a rock.

I didn't know either so I did a "Google Image Search" and got this:

http://pagesix.com/2016/02/05/playboy-model-katie-may-dead-after-suffering-stroke/

:eek:

luke strawwalker
02-15-2016, 10:07 PM
Just read that Vanity, protege of 80's pop icon "Prince", has died in California at age 57...

She was one of those 80's rockers with the big hair and few clothes; one of her most popular songs was "Nasty Girl"... Later she parted ways with Prince, did a couple Playboy shoots, and tried her hand at acting in 80's movies like "Action Jackson" and "The Last Dragon".

Later she became hooked on crack cocaine and an overdose virtually destroyed her kidneys... she was having nearly daily dialysis treatments since that time. She gave up drugs, became a born-again Christian, and was active in her church until she passed away, in fact she was at her church Saturday and told friends she was "ready to go home"...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/prince-collaborator-vanity-dead-at-57-20160215

Later! OL J R :)

blackshire
02-20-2016, 11:46 PM

Unfortunately, some rocket enthusiasts are either unable or unwilling to put aside their differences with others. Their egos just won't allow it.I grok your point. Things were once like that throughout our society. I remember how President Ronald Reagan and Speaker of the House Thomas "Tip" O'Neil (O'Neill?) were on opposite ends of the political spectrum (as well as being in opposing parties, of course) and argued passionately and tenaciously, yet were close friends--so close, in fact, that many people thought that one or both of them were faking either their friendship or their political disagreements. I think the difference today is this:

Reagan and O'Neil both said, "We want the same things for our country; we want America to be free, strong, and prosperous. We only disagree on how to achieve those things." Today, a significant fraction of the population (and not only in one party) doesn't think that those things--all or in part--are desirable goals, for multiple reasons, hence the greater hostility between the different groups, since they have fundamental disagreements over what *are* good things for the country to do or have. Even in such circumstances, however, such hostility isn't necessary. For example:

I have no use for Communism, yet I got along fine with Arnie Coro, an announcer, engineer (and in his off-work hours, an amateur radio operator) on RHC, Radio Havana Cuba. He was a card-carrying member of the Cuban Communist Party, but he helped me design an inductor-loaded loop antenna (a physically-shortened antenna designed to fit in a tight space) for a low-power AM transmitter that I used to have. He had a radio program on RHC (and an associated website--that's how I found him) that was devoted to all aspects of Short Wave reception problems, antenna design, and amateur radio. (Of course, in order to be an amateur radio operator in Cuba, one must be a member--in good standing--of the Communist Party.) Now:

I didn't convert him to libertarianism/voluntarianism and he didn't convert me to Communism (indeed, we never discussed politics at all), yet we found common ground (no radio pun intended!) in an area of interest to both of us. If we could do that, even though we were in two nations with diametrically-opposed official ideologies, surely the people *within* our country could do the same. (Even the Cuban and U.S. Coast Guards have worked together for decades to fight the drug trade, because it's a common problem for both nations.)