PDA

View Full Version : I think I've been collecting too many kits....

Les
12-04-2016, 06:39 PM
I needed to update my inventory spreadsheet - I realized it had multiple errors.
And I decided to reorganize the storage tubs by vendor

So while everything was out, I took a group photo!

18 years - 59 different manufacturers (well, 60 if you count me and my scratch builts)

rtuinila
12-04-2016, 07:03 PM
If you've been collecting too many what does that say about me? I've got over 450 kits! :eek:

Les
12-04-2016, 07:23 PM
actually, my count is 460...

tbzep
12-04-2016, 08:17 PM
While Styx, "Miss America" plays in the background. :cool:

Scott_650
12-04-2016, 08:54 PM
And I thought I had a problem when I went over 100!

Les
12-04-2016, 10:02 PM
And I thought I had a problem when I went over 100!

The problem there is you don't have enough!!! :chuckle:

stefanj
12-04-2016, 10:45 PM
I feel much better about the three plastic tubs up in my garage shelves.

neil_w
12-05-2016, 10:10 AM
And here I am with a build pile of 2 and struggling with the decision of whether to order Estes bundle #3. :rolleyes:

How do you pick your next build when you have a collection like that?

DeanHFox
12-05-2016, 11:25 AM
Glad to see there are other rocketeers infected with the sickness. :)

My patient better half has put up with my habit, even knowing the extent of it, for 35 years. I had a few tubs full when we met. It got bad enough that she made me put everything in a room. When I couldn't navigate through the boxes in the room any more to find that next one I wanted to build, I built pegboard spinner stands. I have to add another one every few years. :)

Here's a few pics. Last count was 1,744 kits. I don't know how many manufacturers. There's a few rare ones in there, I'm sure. But I still hope to build 'em all. But I better get moving!

ghrocketman
12-05-2016, 11:41 AM
GOOD GRIEF !
1744, Dean ????
I thought my couple hundred was bad, but I'm pretty selective of what I call my 'collection' vs 'builder' kits.
I have way more motors than kits....

BEC
12-05-2016, 11:48 AM
I feel better after Dean's post. I just broke 400 with the receipt of a couple of Sprint XLs and couple of Vagabonds from the recent Estes sale.

I'm not sure I'll build them all (and some are backups for favorite flyers) but I can certainly try. :)

stefanj
12-05-2016, 12:39 PM
I buy kits with the intention of building them, but with time some of them become "I wouldn't dare build that!" collectibles. Like an almost full set of 1975 vintage FSI kits, and an Estes Outlander.

In addition to my three plastic bins, I have a large cardboard box full of "give away" models, ranging from RTF mini motor kits to a couple of Ventrisi. Some of these I raffle away at the club's low-power launches, others are for gifts and encouragement.

ghrocketman
12-05-2016, 02:53 PM
What would be the reason for not building an Estes Outlander ?
They kitted a ton of those from like '03 to '08.

The only kit in my collection that ever achieved "too valuable to build" was an original complete bagged (not boxed) but opened Enerjet Nike Smoke that I bought in like 2004 for something like $70.
I originally intended on building it, but when I got offered around $300 for that opened kit earlier this year, I let it go. I think that was a smart move as how many OPENED kits quadruple their money in like 12 years ?

jetlag
12-05-2016, 06:06 PM
I'd love to have an original Athena. I cloned mine. It looks and flies great. Last original i saw in a box was lots of hundreds of $!

Maybe someone (Estes, Erockets?) will offer it as a kit again.

Allen

Les
12-05-2016, 06:34 PM

Here's a few pics. Last count was 1,744 kits. I don't know how many manufacturers. There's a few rare ones in there, I'm sure. But I still hope to build 'em all. But I better get moving!

Thank goodness someone has beat my count - and by nearly 4x my total!!! :eek:

WOW! WOW!! WOW!!!

K'Tesh
12-05-2016, 07:08 PM
And I thought my 250(ish) was a high number...

I SO NEED to make money, and buy more rockets (more importantly... Build more rockets).

5x7
12-05-2016, 07:50 PM
Dean, I like that they are out and you can enjoy them. I recently bought and built a rocket I already had built a while ago but had lost track of. How do you keep track of what you have?

eljefe
12-05-2016, 08:20 PM
Wow, 1744 kits? You may have more in inventory than most of the manufacturers.

yousah
12-05-2016, 10:37 PM
That's not a collection, it's a hobby shop :)

DeanHFox
12-06-2016, 08:17 AM
Dean, I like that they are out and you can enjoy them. I recently bought and built a rocket I already had built a while ago but had lost track of. How do you keep track of what you have?I've had a database of the kits for almost 20 years. It's gone through a series of tools as technology advanced. It's been on Lotus Approach, Microsoft Access, PalmPilot JFile, and currently lives in my iPhone as a HanDBase file. But I created that database in the first place because of EXACTLY what you posted --- I bought a model, got it home, opened the box it would belong in (I had a filing system, even back then) and there was already one of them in the box. :eek:

That's not a collection, it's a hobby shop :)Yeah, I've had a couple folks point that out to me. My better half has said, more than once, that if I don't get them all built, she's gonna have one heck of a garage sale once I'm gone (of course, she's also said, on multiple occasions, that if I don't straighten up and take care of this or that, she's gonna have that sale BEFORE I'm gone! :chuckle: ).

ghrocketman
12-06-2016, 12:48 PM
I know Carl at Semroc originally planned to clone the Enerjet Athena, but he never came up with a reliable source to reproduce the Vacu-formed wraps for the kit.
The original wraps for the Athena were also shared with the 1/100 scale Centuri Saturn 1B.

jeffyjeep
12-06-2016, 04:52 PM
GOOD GRIEF !
1744, Dean ????
I thought my couple hundred was bad, but I'm pretty selective of what I call my 'collection' vs 'builder' kits.
I have way more motors than kits....

Aye, carumba! ...and I thought I had a lot! I AM NOT WORTHY!

There's a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness.

5x7
12-06-2016, 09:15 PM
I've had a database of the kits for almost 20 years. It's gone through a series of tools as technology advanced. It's been on Lotus Approach, Microsoft Access, PalmPilot JFile, and currently lives in my iPhone as a HanDBase file. But I created that database in the first place because of EXACTLY what you posted --- I bought a model, got it home, opened the box it would belong in (I had a filing system, even back then) and there was already one of them in the box. :eek:

I am so much worse...I built one before realizing I had built it before, :chuckle:

Doug Sams
12-06-2016, 09:54 PM
Aye, carumba! ...and I thought I had a lot! I AM NOT WORTHY!

There's a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness.The truly genuine privilege here is enjoying how many of us are all nodding together on this thread !! ;)

Doug

jeffyjeep
12-07-2016, 05:19 AM
I needed to update my inventory spreadsheet - I realized it had multiple errors.
And I decided to reorganize the storage tubs by vendor

So while everything was out, I took a group photo!

18 years - 59 different manufacturers (well, 60 if you count me and my scratch builts)

59 manufacturers?! I DO believe it but I had no idea there have been so many! I can probably rattle off 25 or 30, but not 59.

Les
12-07-2016, 08:10 PM
3D Rocketry Aerotech Peter Always Apogee BaddAzz BMS Centuri
Cosmodrone Custom Cygnus DFR Dynastar EAT Edmonds Empire
Estes Excelsior Fat Cat Fliskits Hawk Hostile Hotrod K&S Launch Pad
Loc Mad Cow Model Minutes More MPC NCR New Way Oddl PDR
Pemberton PML Q Model Quest Red River Roachworks Rocket in a Box
Rocketarium Rocketpad Rogue Rokitflite Semroc Sheri Shrox
Sirius Sky Space X Squirrel Work Sunward Tango Papa Wildman Zooch

And I am real tempted to pull the trigger on a Binder kit....

DeanHFox
12-08-2016, 10:48 AM
3D Rocketry Aerotech Peter Always Apogee BaddAzz BMS Centuri
Cosmodrone Custom Cygnus DFR Dynastar EAT Edmonds Empire
Estes Excelsior Fat Cat Fliskits Hawk Hostile Hotrod K&S Launch Pad
Loc Mad Cow Model Minutes More MPC NCR New Way Oddl PDR
Pemberton PML Q Model Quest Red River Roachworks Rocket in a Box
Rocketarium Rocketpad Rogue Rokitflite Semroc Sheri Shrox
Sirius Sky Space X Squirrel Work Sunward Tango Papa Wildman Zooch

And I am real tempted to pull the trigger on a Binder kit....Don't forget AVI, MRI, FSI, MicroClassics...probably others, I'd have to look. :)

ghrocketman
12-08-2016, 11:08 AM
How about Canaroc, North Coast, LOC and CMR ?

jeffyjeep
12-08-2016, 01:43 PM
....and Neubauer.

jeffyjeep
12-08-2016, 06:24 PM
And here I am with a build pile of 2 and struggling with the decision of whether to order Estes bundle #3. :rolleyes:

That Estes Bundle #3 is too good to pass up! (6) excellent rockets for $31.00. I added a Nike Apache kit and some rings to it and got free shipping on my $50+ order.

Now THAT'S a sale!

Les
12-08-2016, 08:53 PM
Don't forget AVI, MRI, FSI, MicroClassics...probably others, I'd have to look.

How about Canaroc, North Coast, LOC and CMR ?

....and Neubauer.

Well - there is also US Rockets, ASP, and others

But my list are the manufacturers that I have kits from (to date)

And I do Have Loc and NCR listed....

Les
12-08-2016, 09:00 PM

I have 2 methods

Either a kit catches my fancy that moves it to the top of the pile

Or

I have a random number function that picks 5 kits. Then I only need to choose from 5 instead of 460. And if none of the 5 catch my fancy, I let it recalculate another 5.

If the same kit shows up twice then it has to be built ;)

jeffyjeep
12-10-2016, 08:56 AM
I have 2 methods

Either a kit catches my fancy that moves it to the top of the pile

Or

I have a random number function that picks 5 kits. Then I only need to choose from 5 instead of 460. And if none of the 5 catch my fancy, I let it recalculate another 5.

If the same kit shows up twice then it has to be built ;)

WITCHCRAFT! WITCHCRAFT!

Les weighs the same as a duck!

PaulK
12-10-2016, 09:20 AM
I don't know whether to be jealous, or relieved that you guys have such a large stash! I recently was able to bring mine *down* to just under 100, if my count is correct. And a measly 17 manufacturers.

Dean, I bet you could charge for tours! WOOSH field trip anyone?

Les
12-10-2016, 01:47 PM
WITCHCRAFT! WITCHCRAFT!

Les weighs the same as a duck!

It would have to be a really BIG DUCK!!!!

Initiator001
12-10-2016, 02:38 PM
I have around 1100-1200 unbuilt rocket kits.

I use an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of the kits.

Back in 1998 my computer hard drive crashed and my list was six months out of date when I loaded the new computer. That's why I'm not sure of exactly how many kits I have. :o

Sixty-three different manufacturers on my list.

Blastfromthepast
02-27-2017, 10:04 AM
A Little math....

X = the number of desired kits for a collection
n = the number of kits currently owned

therefore....

x = n +1
:)

Doug Sams
02-27-2017, 11:46 AM
A Little math....

X = the number of desired kits for a collection
n = the number of kits currently owned

therefore....

x = n +1
:)Mike, no...no, no, no, no.

x is a function of t. In the limit as n approaches infinity, the number of kits can be described as follows:

The desired number of kits, f(x(t)) = n(t) + 1 , where n(t) = n0 + k*t, where k is the hang tag number :)

So, if you have any financial constraints whatsoever, it's best to pursue low kit numbers :)

Doug

LeeR
02-27-2017, 12:53 PM

My patient better half has put up with my habit, even knowing the extent of it, for 35 years. I had a few tubs full when we met. It got bad enough that she made me put everything in a room. When I couldn't navigate through the boxes in the room any more to find that next one I wanted to build, I built pegboard spinner stands. I have to add another one every few years. :)

I am not sure if I am allowed to post in this thread. I've only got 128 kits. But I do have parts for maybe another 30-40, if that helps.

At 1744 kits, that's a lot of enjoyment for the years ahead. If you build one a week, and allow maybe 3 weeks for vacations or downtime, 49 builds a year can be done for about 35 years.

Happy Retirement!

jeffyjeep
02-27-2017, 01:04 PM
Mike, no...no, no, no, no.

x is a function of t. In the limit as n approaches infinity, the number of kits can be described as follows:

The desired number of kits, f(x(t)) = n(t) + 1 , where n(t) = n0 + k*t, where k is the hang tag number :)

So, if you have any financial constraints whatsoever, it's best to pursue low kit numbers :)

Doug

WITCHCRAFT!! WITCHCRAFT!!

DOUG WEIGHS THE SAME AS A DUCK!!

Eagle3
02-27-2017, 02:41 PM
352 Kits
121 Built
34 In Work

Does not include my competition models. ****, I don't want to go there. :D

DeanHFox
02-27-2017, 03:54 PM
(snip)

At 1744 kits, that's a lot of enjoyment for the years ahead. If you build one a week, and allow maybe 3 weeks for vacations or downtime, 49 builds a year can be done for about 35 years.

Happy Retirement!At this point, with my current build rate, I'll be happy to get 10 years worth built...

Of course, it's great that manufacturers keep coming out with new ones! :D

5x7
02-27-2017, 06:25 PM
I started a spreadsheet using Semroc's classic kit list and have added a few other manufacturers like Fliskits and modern Semroc to it to get a feel for what has been made over the years and the list has over 2000 kits in it. I wonder what the total number of kits ever produced is. I would be wonderful if someone could maintain an authoritative list.

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-27-2017, 09:50 PM
I've built 573 as of 10:49pm on 2/27/17. Not sure how many I haven't listed because they aren't completed or how many I've yet to start.

Les
02-27-2017, 10:04 PM
I've built 573 as of 10:49pm on 2/27/17. Not sure how many I haven't listed because they aren't completed or how many I've yet to start.

WOW! Built 573? Over how many years? Where do you keep them all?
I've been a BAR for a little less than 20 years and have only built 190.
I presently have 160 of these and I'm running out of room (and the wife says no more room)

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-27-2017, 10:46 PM
WOW! Built 573? Over how many years? Where do you keep them all?
I've been a BAR for a little less than 20 years and have only built 190.
I presently have 160 of these and I'm running out of room (and the wife says no more room)
I keep them all in the trees around B6-4 Field. :chuckle:
Okay, maybe it just seems that way. :( We have a "bonus room" under the garage that is my storage area. My wife is making noises about turning that into a workout room, so my days may be numbered.

BEC
02-27-2017, 11:48 PM
I was looking at my kit spreadsheet earlier this evening thinking about this thread and was surprised to find I had 29 manufacturers represented. I figured it might be half of that. It's dominated by Estes, Semroc, Fliskits, Quest and New Way Spacemodels in that order, but there are ones and twos from a bunch of others.

Total number of kits listed in the spreadsheet is 414.

I don't know how many built-up models I have - I'm not sure I want to do that inventory...... :eek:

I have two Alphas (one in the style of my first one in 1968 and one of the next iteration), a Big Bertha , a Solar Warrior and a Shrike (Semroc repro) currently actively being worked on.

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-28-2017, 03:39 AM
I was looking at my kit spreadsheet earlier this evening thinking about this thread and was surprised to find I had 29 manufacturers represented. I figured it might be half of that. It's dominated by Estes, Semroc and Quest, but there are ones and twos from a bunch of others.

Total number of kits listed in the spreadsheet is 414.

I don't know how many built-up models I have - I'm not sure I want to do that inventory...... :eek:

I have two Alphas (one in the style of my first one in 1968 and one of the next iteration), a Big Bertha , a Solar Warrior and a Shrike (Semroc repro) currently actively being worked on.
I've got 46 manufacturers at the moment.

ghrocketman
02-28-2017, 01:22 PM
Bill, you need to IXNAY those noises from your wife and let her know if SHE wants a 'workout' room that bad, SHE needs to build that said workout room and stay outta YOUR room.
When someone says they want something but are notified THEY have to build/create what they want, the 'need' often disappears, saving YOU a headache.

LeeR
02-28-2017, 02:25 PM
Bill, you need to IXNAY those noises from your wife and let her know if SHE wants a 'workout' room that bad, SHE needs to build that said workout room and stay outta YOUR room.
When someone says they want something but are notified THEY have to build/create what they want, the 'need' often disappears, saving YOU a headache.

From the lips of someone who obviously has years of marital harmony under his belt ...

Scott6060842
02-28-2017, 03:08 PM
I have 43 kits and I am on a buying freeze until I get built down to only a few. I want to try a buy as I build approach. I'm not much of a collector of things and I buy my kits to build.

I typically have 3-4 builds going at any time. Currently I am working on an Estes Starship Enterprise, an Estes Dragonfly and a SEMROC Starlight.

jeffyjeep
02-28-2017, 08:39 PM
I have 43 kits and I am on a buying freeze until I get built down to only a few. I want to try a buy as I build approach. I'm not much of a collector of things and I buy my kits to build.

I typically have 3-4 builds going at any time. Currently I am working on an Estes Starship Enterprise, an Estes Dragonfly and a SEMROC Starlight.

If the decal for your Dragonfly is crisp and unusable, I have an extra decal.

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-28-2017, 09:59 PM
From the lips of someone who obviously has years of marital harmony under his belt ...

:chuckle: :D

ghrocketman
03-01-2017, 07:35 AM
I was married for ten years.
That was plenty.
Same wonderful GF for the past 5.5 years. She wisely does not push me toward marriage either.

mojo1986
03-01-2017, 08:14 AM
I was married for ten years.
That was plenty.
Same wonderful GF for the past 5.5 years. She wisely does not push me toward marriage either.

GH, sounds like she's pretty smart! ;)

ghrocketman
03-01-2017, 11:50 AM
My Girlfriend/Better Half/Significant Other is very smart.
Knows where she can push and what areas are expressly verboten.
It helps that we have known each other for almost 30 years !

Scott6060842
03-01-2017, 06:21 PM
If the decal for your Dragonfly is crisp and unusable, I have an extra decal.

Mine looks pretty good but you never know. I'll coat it with some decal film before I give it a try.

jeffyjeep
03-01-2017, 07:37 PM
Yes, it looks viable. Let me know if it isn't.

jeffyjeep
03-01-2017, 07:53 PM
I built this Dragonfly back in '09. "The Vixen" painted it by hand with pearlescent watercolors.

mojo1986
03-01-2017, 09:06 PM
I built this Dragonfly back in '09. "The Vixen" painted it by hand with pearlescent watercolors.

Watercolors? And no warpage??

ghrocketman
03-01-2017, 09:54 PM
WATERcolors ???
That's blasphemy.

LeeR
03-01-2017, 09:55 PM

Nice! And I just realized I have one of those -- built. A friend gave it to me a few years back. He was getting out of hobby. It's body (fuselage) had been snapped in two, but easy to repair. I'll need to paint and give it a try. Weight is the bane of gliders, did you use any balsa filler. Yours looks pretty smooth. I was considering one coat on the glider, the booster could obviously have more.

I like the watercolors. Heck, some gliders just get scribbled on with colored markers.