PDA

View Full Version : New Estes Saturn V clue.

the mole
11-09-2018, 03:15 PM
I was over on the other rocket forum just looking around when I came across this somewhat puzzling statement talking about the new Saturn V release.

A person had stated " I just finished the last iteration of the Saturn V, so I won't be picking up the new version, but I don't have a Little Joe yet."

Then John Boren posted "The new version is completely new. The only thing the same are the injection molded fins and most of the body tubes." :confused:

So this sounds like a big clue as to maybe some new thinking on the Saturn V.

Any others want to jump in an offer a guess what this might mean?
I personally would like to see some way to fly it with the F-1 engine attached.

tbzep
11-09-2018, 04:23 PM
Wild guesses? I'm good at that.

The Saturn isn't a high volume item. A good number of customers that buy them are us folks that already have a couple built and a couple more in the box for a rainy day.

The various Estes and Centuri versions aren't all that accurate, so if they make some changes, we will come more near buying two or three. Internally, I wouldn't be surprised if it has a 29mm mount or even an interchangeable mount.

Better, scale detail would be the factor that would make me buy one or two. I can modify internals such as motor mounts with any previous version, so that's not a selling point to me. Heck, I designed and implimented an interchangeable mount for my Centuri Saturn V kit when I was a kid after seeing the Centuri Power System Outfit in a catalog. However, a 29mm mount would be a selling point for a lot of folks.

burkefj
11-09-2018, 05:48 PM
I thought they were coming out with a 1/200 scale version, are they doing two?

Scott_650
11-09-2018, 06:09 PM
The 1/100 is the version listed in the 2018 catalog and showing as “Coming Nov 18” on the AC Supply website. The smaller version was teased several times over the summer and is rumored to be a plastic RTF model - either molded or 3D printed. Both are exciting rockets for the moon landing anniversary year!

Earl
11-09-2018, 06:56 PM
Sounds like they have completely re-done all the corrugated wraps. That was one of the biggest changes made to the 1/45 Little Joe II (compared to the original Centuri version) when it was re-released.

May possibly have an Apollo 11-specific wrap/decal for the SM as well.

Bottom line, what Boren DID say certainly sounds interesting.

Earl

turbofireball
11-09-2018, 09:09 PM
At NARAM 60 it was mentioned a few times that this version of the 1/100 Saturn V was going to be more Apollo 11 specific. I don't know exactly what that would mean in terms of changes. But so far the kit is now #1969, John Boren has hinted at many changes, and I do know what the "bonus" in the kit is (not allowed to say). I guess Apollo 11 specific will be the reality. As for the other Saturn V, a prototype was quickly shown at the NARAM 60 vendors meet, but not a lot of details were given. It looked to be about 1/200 scale, RTF or ARF, and is geared to be a big seller during the Apollo 11 anniversary sales push next year.

jeffyjeep
11-10-2018, 06:52 AM
Sounds like they have completely re-done all the corrugated wraps. That was one of the biggest changes made to the 1/45 Little Joe II (compared to the original Centuri version) when it was re-released.

May possibly have an Apollo 11-specific wrap/decal for the SM as well.

Bottom line, what Boren DID say certainly sounds interesting.

Earl
What kind of plastic IS the wrap of the Little Joe II? ABS?

the mole
11-10-2018, 09:47 AM
John has posted on the other forum. The other Saturn V was briefly shown at the NARAM 60 manufacturers forum. It will be a 1/200 scale model, all molded in plastic and completely painted and ready to fly other then attaching the parachute.

"So the wraps will be new?"

Other then the new injection molded fins that made it into the last release every other piece of plastic is new. There is in fact a completely New plastic item that will make the build much easier while adding more scale detail. The capsule and escape tower are a piece of cake to assemble now. This version should be a more accurate version of the Apollo 11 launch vehicle.

John Boren

Royatl
11-10-2018, 03:34 PM
John has posted on the other forum. The other Saturn V was briefly shown at the NARAM 60 manufacturers forum. It will be a 1/200 scale model, all molded in plastic and completely painted and ready to fly other then attaching the parachute.

Other then the new injection molded fins that made it into the last release every other piece of plastic is new. There is in fact a completely New plastic item that will make the build much easier while adding more scale detail. The capsule and escape tower are a piece of cake to assemble now. This version should be a more accurate version of the Apollo 11 launch vehicle.

John Boren

I'll take a guess that the S-II interstage is the new plastic item.

Though as someone at our launch mentioned to me today, it would be nice if the F1 fairings were injection molded and more conformal to the tube (the person at our launch had applied thick epoxy/microballoon fillets to their F1 fairings).

is the cm/sm conduit bigger and on the opposite side of the cm? (indicative of block 2 CM instead of the block 1 cm that the original parts were designed from)?

the mole
11-11-2018, 01:48 PM
A little more from John. "I would say it's a little more robust then before but it's much easier to build now."

John Boren

tbzep
11-12-2018, 07:04 AM
A little more from John. "I would say it's a little more robust then before but it's much easier to build now."

John Boren
Translation, 29mm mount. ;)

Shreadvector
11-12-2018, 10:57 AM
Catalog says 24mm. Of course, that could have changed, like the product number......

2157 Apollo II Saturn V Scale 1/100th
Length: 43.25 in (110 cm)
Diameter: 3.94 in (100 mm)
Estimated Weight: 11 oz (311.8 g)
Fins: Plastic
Recovery: 3 Parachutes
Projected Altitude: 150 ft (46 m)
Recommended Engines: E12-4* (first
launch), Composite E30-4*
Requires 3/16 in (5 mm) Maxi™ launch
rod (2244), sold separately.

Scott_650
11-12-2018, 02:55 PM
With the still cataloged and very popular LJII using the same composite E30 motor as shown for the Saturn V a 29mm version probably isn’t happening. But wouldn’t it be awesome if it came with a 29mm motor mount and included a 24mm adapter? Can’t wait to have mine in-hand and see if that mod is a practical possibility...

ghrocketman
11-12-2018, 08:48 PM
Mine will definitely be 29mm powered whether it comes in the kit or not.
That is the MINIMUM reasonable mount for any 4" diameter rocket.

Earl
11-12-2018, 11:01 PM

John Boren

I think possibly the "completely new plastic item" John referenced in the quote above is a new spacecraft/lunar module adapter ('SLA') that is a one-piece unit and not the 'curl and glue' paper adapter that has been used historically in the past Centuri and Estes kits of the Saturn V.

Here's a hint: If you have the latest issue of Sport Rocketry magazine (Nov/Dec 2018; mine came sometime last week but I had not looked at it in great detail until earlier this eve), take a look at the full-page Estes ad on the inside front cover. If the graphic of the Saturn V in that ad is in keeping with the upcoming kit release, one can see much more surface detail in the SLA than any prior Centuri or Estes version of this kit. So, possibly the SLA is now a light-weight, one-piece plastic section.

Just a guess to add to the 'speculation' pile....

Earl

Royatl
11-13-2018, 03:36 PM
Translation, 29mm mount. ;)

no that was actually in response to a question about the escape tower.

Royatl
11-13-2018, 03:39 PM
Catalog says 24mm. Of course, that could have changed, like the product number......

2157 Apollo II Saturn V Scale 1/100th
Length: 43.25 in (110 cm)
Diameter: 3.94 in (100 mm)
Estimated Weight: 11 oz (311.8 g)
Fins: Plastic
Recovery: 3 Parachutes
Projected Altitude: 150 ft (46 m)
Recommended Engines: E12-4* (first
launch), Composite E30-4*
Requires 3/16 in (5 mm) Maxi™ launch
rod (2244), sold separately.

nothing has ever stopped anyone from putting a larger mount in the Centuri or Estes Saturn Vs.

One of our club members in MASER had a 29 mm mount in his Centuri Saturn V in 1970. Flew nicely on FSI F100 motors. AFAIK he never flew it on Centuri MiniMax or Enerjets, the F100 was just perfect.

Royatl
11-13-2018, 03:41 PM
I think possibly the "completely new plastic item" John referenced in the quote above is a new spacecraft/lunar module adapter ('SLA') that is a one-piece unit and not the 'curl and glue' paper adapter that has been used historically in the past Centuri and Estes kits of the Saturn V.

Here's a hint: If you have the latest issue of Sport Rocketry magazine (Nov/Dec 2018; mine came sometime last week but I had not looked at it in great detail until earlier this eve), take a look at the full-page Estes ad on the inside front cover. If the graphic of the Saturn V in that ad is in keeping with the upcoming kit release, one can see much more surface detail in the SLA than any prior Centuri or Estes version of this kit. So, possibly the SLA is now a light-weight, one-piece plastic section.

Just a guess to add to the 'speculation' pile....

Earl

I'd rather have the SII interstage done that way than the SLA, but both would be nice.

tbzep
11-13-2018, 06:52 PM
no that was actually in response to a question about the escape tower.
You're takin all the fun out of it. :D
I keep mentioning 29mm mount, but I'd never put one in one of mine. I like mine to fly on classic BP power. I did my interchangeable mount so I could switch back and forth from cluster to D12 power with an option for FSI motors if I ever came across any. Never came across any until after I retired the model.

rocket.aero
11-13-2018, 08:19 PM
...switch back and forth from cluster to D12 power ...

Clustering is great as long as reliable igniters are available. I cannot imagine Estes offering a cluster product as long as the current igniter/starter product is included with their motors.

James

tbzep
11-13-2018, 08:52 PM
Clustering is great as long as reliable igniters are available. I cannot imagine Estes offering a cluster product as long as the current igniter/starter product is included with their motors.

James

I did it when I was a kid back in the late 70's. ;)
However, I've had no trouble igniting 3 and 4 motors with Estes igniters using a 12v gel cell on a relay system. The problem isn't the igniters, it's the wimpy little launch controllers.

The only time I have a failure with the clear dipped igniters is when the bridge is broken or I let someone else install them and they short them in the motor's throat. I always check each igniter's bridge individually before using them in a cluster and I make sure there is separation of the wires.

My son's SEMROC Saturn 1B on four B6's with Estes igniters.
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showpost.php?p=80190&postcount=4

rocket.aero
11-14-2018, 09:04 AM
I did it when I was a kid back in the late 70's. ;

Sure, we can cluster successfully using Estes igniters, but can the casual, average user who does not attend club launches and flies with his kids in the park do so? Probably not. Clustering was tough enough with the old Estes igniters, and the new "starters" haven't helped.

If Average American Dad™ were to build and fly a clustered Estes product today, the likely end result will be a warranty claim and a dissatisfied customer. Until the igniter product improves, I would not expect to see any cluster products from Estes.

James

ghrocketman
11-14-2018, 09:49 AM
Agree about current Estes "starters"....absolutely awful unless you "dip" them.

tbzep
11-14-2018, 10:06 AM
If Average American Dad™ were to build and fly a clustered Estes product today, the likely end result will be a warranty claim and a dissatisfied customer. Until the igniter product improves, I would not expect to see any cluster products from Estes.
Lol, you're right. The AAD™ today can barely start his car, much less do anything else requiring 5 minutes of reading/researching.

I don't expect to see clusters from Estes, but I do expect YORFers to have the ability to modify for clusters, 29mm mounts, interchangable mounts, etc. We are collectively smarter than the average bear. :cool:

tbzep
11-14-2018, 10:07 AM
Agree about current Estes "starters"....absolutely awful unless you "dip" them.
No worse than an Astron igniter or straight nichrome, but they are more fragile. Just think of all the successful clusters done in the old days with straight nichrome and a 12v battery! :cool:

rocketguy101
11-14-2018, 10:11 AM
No worse than an Astron igniter or straight nichrome, but they are more fragile. Just think of all the successful clusters done in the old days with straight nichrome and a 12v battery! :cool:
...and we walked uphill both ways in the snow!

tbzep
11-14-2018, 10:16 AM
I bet if we could compile an accurate survey, the introduction of the four AA battery launch controller in 1974 caused a catastrophic decline in successful cluster launches considerably more so than Solar igniters. It would be hard to survey, because the two were introduced together.

ghrocketman
11-14-2018, 11:02 AM
I would rather have plain nichrome and an Astron controller than the current fragile "starters".

tbzep
11-14-2018, 12:23 PM
I would rather have plain nichrome and an Astron controller than the current fragile "starters".
Based on some of the threads I've seen the last few years on various forums along with ebay sales, I'm sure several folks buy their own nichrome and use 12v for reliable ignition. :cool:

LeeR
11-14-2018, 01:33 PM
Based on some of the threads I've seen the last few years on various forums along with ebay sales, I'm sure several folks buy their own nichrome and use 12v for reliable ignition. :cool:

My use of nichrome is strictly for making my own igniters for small composite motors that have small nozzles and require something like the current FirstFire igniters from Aerotech. Those are great igniters but I am shocked at what they sell for.

I have had 100% success dipping the clear-tipped “starters” from Estes. I use NC lacquer and 4F BP. I read an article a few weeks ago that the clear dip on the Estes starters is water-soluble (and not a pyrogen). By soaking the tip in water, the dip would come off easily. Then a NC lacquer /BP dip applied will light more quickly.

Although I’ve got a reasonable supply of Q2G2s for BP clustering, I’d have no concerns using dipped starters — with a solid 12V system.

the mole
11-14-2018, 07:38 PM
I have a new question for everyone.

For us who have a few of the old Estes Saturn V kits lying around complete in the box.
What will the value be of the old kits after the newly redesigned kit come out?
Well, they be worth more or less?

tbzep
11-14-2018, 08:00 PM
They usually drop when Estes announces another run and gradually build up until another run is announced. If the changes on the new 1969 version turn out to be really nice, the 2001 and 2157 probably won't ever fetch as much as the 1969, but they will all probably climb a little once the 1969 production run sells out. The original boxed K-36 kits in good condition will probably always have a decent price, as will the Centuri kits...at least until all of us older folks that collect them die off.

Scott_650
11-14-2018, 09:32 PM
AC Supply has updated their website - now the release date is late December. But they have an email notice link and they have a price - $53.99. Might need a couple at that price!

LeeR
11-15-2018, 09:50 PM
I’m building a 2157 now. I have two more. I do have the injection molded fins for them. Maybe I’ll just consider them as models to build and actually fly, rather than having them become shelf queens, or worse, stay boxed and never see the light of day.

If they somehow become collectible — I’d be willing to part with them to help out a collector. :)

Regardless, I am sure I’ll get at least one of the new #1969 kits.

BEC
11-16-2018, 01:34 AM
I'm pretty much in the same spot as Lee....though I haven't actually started building one of my two 2157s yet...but I will probably start it right after the Thanksgiving madness is over (all five kids, significant others and all three grandkids may be here all at once :eek: ).

I am more than a little eager to know more about the 1969 version. I did send a "please let me know" email to AC Supply today.

hcmbanjo
11-16-2018, 10:27 AM
I’m building a 2157 now. I have two more. I do have the injection molded fins for them. Maybe I’ll just consider them as models to build and actually fly, rather than having them become shelf queens, or worse, stay boxed and never see the light of day.
If they somehow become collectible — I’d be willing to part with them to help out a collector. :)
Regardless, I am sure I’ll get at least one of the new #1969 kits.

Hi Lee,
Those molded plastic fins (from the last reissue) make a great difference
in the strength and solidity of the fin fairings assemblies.

LeeR
11-16-2018, 10:59 AM
Hi Lee,
Those molded plastic fins (from the last reissue) make a great difference
in the strength and solidity of the fin fairings assemblies.

Chris,

I am looking forward to using the new fins on the Saturn V build. I built an Estes Saturn 1B (1/100 scale) about a year ago and those 8 vacuformed fins were fun! Actually, I enjoyed the challenge, and just took my time.

I’d certainly welcome a set of injection molded or possibly 3D printed replacements for the two other kits I have, mainly for the greater resistance to damage that they would offer.

ghrocketman
11-16-2018, 11:06 AM
Oh great....now the availability date is not until AFTER Christmas ?
What lousy timing.

LeeR
11-16-2018, 11:09 AM
I'm pretty much in the same spot as Lee....though I haven't actually started building one of my two 2157s yet...but I will probably start it right after the Thanksgiving madness is over (all five kids, significant others and all three grandkids may be here all at once :eek: ).

I am more than a little eager to know more about the 1969 version. I did send a "please let me know" email to AC Supply today.

Bernard,

Sounds like you will really enjoy the quiet time to start a Saturn V build after Thanksgiving. We were going to have about as many at our home, with a huge extended family gathering, but now are going to Denver (60 miles away) to celebrate with just our kids and grandkids.

The Apollo 11 50th anniversary launch I’m planning for could include celebrating the arrival of our 4th grandchild. Our youngest daughter just announced she is due next July!

Scott_650
11-16-2018, 03:42 PM
Oh great....now the availability date is not until AFTER Christmas ?
What lousy timing.

That’s from AC Supply - Maybe Estes will have it sooner? As long as you don’t mind paying MSRP 😎

chrism
11-16-2018, 04:18 PM
I would check Hobbylinc as well.

Initiator001
11-16-2018, 11:51 PM
The Saturn V is now on the Estes website under "Coming Soon":

https://www.estesrockets.com/coming-soon/001969-saturn-v-1

Bob

Scott_650
11-17-2018, 07:18 AM
Along with a set of replacement plastic fins: https://www.estesrockets.com/073156-saturn-v-plastic-fins .

ghrocketman
11-17-2018, 10:13 AM
Those fins look positively gigantic.
I'll do mine scale-size and use the PROPER amount of nose weight and proper 29mm power.

Scott_650
11-17-2018, 11:36 AM
I'll do mine scale-size and use the PROPER amount of nose weight and proper 29mm power.
By the looks of the catalog model I’d say the fins go all the way through the fairings - the fins on the model DO look oversized but not as obtrusive as the replacement fins appear to be.

SEL
11-17-2018, 09:52 PM
Along with a set of replacement plastic fins: https://www.estesrockets.com/073156-saturn-v-plastic-fins .

The description says these are replacements for the 2157 Kit. Does the New 1969 kit use the same fins?

rocket.aero
11-17-2018, 09:58 PM
The description says these are replacements for the 2157 Kit. Does the New 1969 kit use the same fins?

Yes. According to John Boren in a post on The Other Forum, the fins in the forthcoming Saturn V kit are the same as the injection molded fins created for the last release.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/estes-new-releases.148387/#post-1830434

James

JumpJet
11-17-2018, 11:14 PM

Same size fins that have been used for 40+ years. Remember most of the fin is under that cone shaped shroud.

The only thing that is the same on this kit from the last one are Most of the body tubes and the injection molded fins. EVERYTHING PLASTIC is new. Read the description of the kit on the Estes Web Site.

John Boren

SEL
11-17-2018, 11:45 PM
Same size fins that have been used for 40+ years. Remember most of the fin is under that cone shaped shroud.

The only thing that is the same on this kit from the last one are Most of the body tubes and the injection molded fins. EVERYTHING PLASTIC is new. Read the description of the kit on the Estes Web Site.

John Boren

One more question: I have an earlier version of the 2157 kit w/vacuformed fins. Will it take much to modify it to use the injection molded fins?

JumpJet
11-17-2018, 11:52 PM
The injection molded fins are direct replacements for the old vacuum formed ones. Once the two halves of the fin are bonded together you glue it in place just like before.

John Boren

SEL
11-18-2018, 01:04 AM
The injection molded fins are direct replacements for the old vacuum formed ones. Once the two halves of the fin are bonded together you glue it in place just like before.

John Boren

Thanks!

Randy
11-18-2018, 07:43 AM
The injection molded fins are direct replacements for the old vacuum formed ones. John Boren

That's great, John! A much needed improvement; the vacu-form stuff was just sad.

We're glad to see it will be available in plenty of time to be ready next July. And the fin size is fine.

Now that we have 12 grand kids and only 8 of the 2001 kits in the closet we'll probably get 3-4 more so they all have one for when they're ready to build their own. Maybe one day we'll have a Saturn V drag race with all of them.

Can you imagine a dozen clustered Saturn V's lifting off together?

Tell the folks at Estes, thanks for doing this!

Randy
http://www.vernarockets.com
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHJHOK6
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O14ET8K
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CX1UPCG
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C95BNQH

tbzep
11-18-2018, 08:15 AM
Read the description of the kit on the Estes Web Site.

Pertinent info:

"lifts off to about 350 feet on a E30-4 composite motor."

Meaning it's still a 24mm mount.

"We have updated every plastic part in this kit and you won't be disappointed! Accurate Apollo II body wraps, detailed blow molded transition, easier to assemble escape tower, injection molded fins and highly detailed removable display nozzles that doubles as a stand. "

updated, more accurate body wraps
blow molded transition
updated escape tower

stefanj
11-18-2018, 09:37 AM
I bought a set of the injection-molded plastic fins.

They have "open" root edges, meaning it should be easy to fit in a balsa tab for through-the-wall fin mounting.

tbzep
11-18-2018, 09:57 AM
They are already through the wall (shroud). My old Centuri model is pretty stout using the old style blow molded fins through the shrouds. It's a lot stronger than my #2001 balsa and paper version. Injection fins through the shroud and butted against the wrap using real plastic cement (not Testor's orange tubes) should easily be strong enough for any motor you can stuff back there and still have a stable flight.

LeeR
11-18-2018, 02:09 PM
[…]

Now that we have 12 grand kids and only 8 of the 2001 kits in the closet we'll probably get 3-4 more so they all have one for when they're ready to build their own. Maybe one day we'll have a Saturn V drag race with all of them.

Can you imagine a dozen clustered Saturn V's lifting off together?

Randy

Randy,

I have a 2001 still in the box (in addition to a 2157 I’m building, plus several more in storage).
I suppose I could help you out at some point in the future. I’ll hold off building it ... as if that’s likely, based on me buying it when they first came out.
In my defense, though, my Der Saturn Max is an old 2001 that was damaged, so I did build one of them. ;)

With all the upgrades for the 1969, I do wonder whether I’ll ever build my other 2157 kits.

Randy
11-18-2018, 07:41 PM
> my Der Saturn Max is an old 2001

If we ever launch 12 we can put your Red Saturn in the center.

>With all the upgrades for the 1969, I do wonder whether I’ll ever build my other 2157 kits.

Kit bash them! We thought about that but haven't decided exactly what configuration to go with.

Randy

LeeR
11-19-2018, 11:13 AM
> my Der Saturn Max is an old 2001

If we ever launch 12 we can put your Red Saturn in the center.

>With all the upgrades for the 1969, I do wonder whether I’ll ever build my other 2157 kits.

Kit bash them! We thought about that but haven't decided exactly what configuration to go with.

Randy

Randy,

Flying that many Saturns with you and Verna would be fun.

And I’ve been thinking that one of the 2157s should be built as a Skylab version.

sandman
11-19-2018, 07:45 PM
Randy,

And I’ve been thinking that one of the 2157s should be built as a Skylab version.

If you decide to do it before you build (as opposed to a post flight repair) with just a little balsa and a few other parts (motor mount, recovery stuff), you can build a 1/100th Little Joe II. ;)

LeeR
11-19-2018, 10:23 PM
If you decide to do it before you build (as opposed to a post flight repair) with just a little balsa and a few other parts (motor mount, recovery stuff), you can build a 1/100th Little Joe II. ;)

That’s a great idea! I do have the 1/100 Little Joe II Kit, but those are hard to find, and having a backup would be nice.

jeffyjeep
11-20-2018, 04:12 PM
Randy,

I second that!
Flying that many Saturns will have a nice..........

......wait for it......

......wait for it......

.......wait for it......

......“Ring” to it. :D

rocketguy101
11-21-2018, 09:26 AM
Randy,

I found this in a Skylab report on NTRS if it's helpful...

sandman
11-21-2018, 09:53 AM
I've made probably 25 or so of the Skylab cones.

Or...you can make your own, it's not too hard.

Usually they were purchased for a repair .

The Little Joe II just needs some bits and bobs to finish

I attached a pdf it should print correctly but to verify there is a 1" x 1" square to verify the scale.

I want to thank Peter Alway and Tom Beach for the great drawing.

I just scaled it a bit.

LeeR
11-21-2018, 10:58 AM
Gordon, and David

Thanks for the info for the Skylab. I’ll at least turn the nose cone over the Winter.

I have not gotten a lot done on my Saturn V build, but at some point it’ll just be sitting, waiting for Spring, to get some paint on it. That will mean lots of time for other build projects.

That, and a ton of projects from the Boss Lady. We are about 1/2 done with remodeling our house— inside. Springtime means a new patio. I’m expecting a project status request from her pretty soon. I’m trying to remember how I ever had time to have a real job ...

LeeR
11-21-2018, 11:01 AM
I second that!
Flying that many Saturns will have a nice..........

......wait for it......

......wait for it......

.......wait for it......

......“Ring” to it. :D

Dang, I should have waited a LOT longer ...

;)

LeeR
11-21-2018, 03:56 PM
I was on the Estes website today, and look what popped up — the “bonus” is a 1:100 model of the LM. The image appears and disappears on the Saturn V rolling ad very fast. It wasn’t easy to get a screen capture of it.

tbzep
11-21-2018, 04:11 PM
I was on the Estes website today, and look what popped up — the “bonus” is a 1:100 model of the LM. The image appears and disappears on the Saturn V rolling ad very fast. It wasn’t easy to get a screen capture of it.
MMX PMC! :chuckle:

the mole
11-21-2018, 08:31 PM

John Boren

So if I'm reading this right and understanding this right the cone-shaped shrouds that holds the fins will be plastic and not Vac-U-Form plastic? :confused:

turbofireball
11-21-2018, 08:38 PM
Looks like the Lunar Module in the picture is the Revell Germany 1/100 Lunar Module, which is the same as the Revell USA 1/96 Lunar Module. https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234951827-revell-1100-apollo-lunar-module-eagle-04832/

LeeR
11-21-2018, 10:08 PM
I looked on eBay, and this is the cheapest 1:100 Revell LM. Maybe I should be buying more than one of the new Saturn V kits. ;)

JumpJet
11-21-2018, 10:59 PM
cone-shaped shrouds that holds the fins will be plastic and not Vac-U-Form plastic?

Sorry, but no, the cone shaped shrouds are Vac-U-Formed. Maybe in the 60th Anniversary addition we can get them injection molded.

John Boren

Scott_650
11-22-2018, 06:39 AM
So if I'm reading this right and understanding this right the cone-shaped shrouds that holds the fins will be plastic and not Vac-U-Form plastic? :confused:
There also appears to be a new injection molded interstage LEM adapter. Going to be very interesting when someone gets their hands on an actual production version of the kit and does a review...

Rocket Babe
11-22-2018, 07:52 AM
I think we all have our favorite fin option for the Estes Saturn V. Of the options Estes offers I like the 2001 kit paper and balsa the best, but my absolute favorite is the fin set available from Sirius Rocketry.

https://www.siriusrocketry.biz/ishop/moldin-oldies-srmo-sv-1104-1-100-saturn-fairing-set-1764.html

We used them for our U.S.S. PANDORA kit bash and loved them! The weight, detail and strength of these resin fins are perfect and easy to work with. Check them out!

Dave has options for the nc/tower too.

Verna

L3Excalibur
11-22-2018, 09:45 AM

Which brings up the question...Will the bonus be packaged as part of the kits which include it or is it a 'bonus' kit shipped by Estes when you order directly from them? John B., can you answer that? Thx.

JumpJet
11-22-2018, 12:27 PM
The LEM will be in the Saturn V box.

John Boren

JumpJet
11-22-2018, 12:49 PM
Below are a few images of the cad model I created for the box art work. The LEM shroud is a blow molded part. The third stage body tube which connects to the bottom of the LEM Shroud has it's own new vacuum formed wrap around it. The capsule assembly can be assembled without glue for test fitting. It is supper simple to build now. All vacuum formed body wraps should be much more scale in detail and accurate for the Apollo 11 mission. The F1 engines have gone from four pieces to assemble each one to only two pieces now.

Most of the cad work for the tooling of the parts were created by Mike Dorffler. Mike always liked all the NASA stuff so I was happy to be able to bring his work to life once again.

John Boren

5x7
11-22-2018, 12:55 PM
Below are a few images of the cad model I created for the box art work. The LEM shroud is a blow molded part. The third stage body tube which connects to the bottom of the LEM Shroud has it's own new vacuum formed wrap around it. The capsule assembly can be assembled without glue for test fitting. It is supper simple to build now. All vacuum formed body wraps should be much more scale in detail and accurate for the Apollo 11 mission. The F1 engines have gone from four pieces to assemble each one to only two pieces now.

Most of the cad work for the tooling of the parts were created by Mike Dorffler. Mike always liked all the NASA stuff so I was happy to be able to bring his work to life once again.

John Boren

It’s wonderful that you built on his legacy, I am thankful you ended up at Estes to continue such great traditions.

ghrocketman
11-22-2018, 01:08 PM
Looks like the 1/100 capsule now builds very similar to the 1/45 capsule in the LJII.

tbzep
11-22-2018, 03:17 PM
While I'm proud of my scratchbuilt escape towers that I made to replace broken ones on my Centuri kits, I hope the new Apollo capsule assembly will be sold separately. I hate flying without the full assembly, so it would be nice to have four or five extras around that don't require a lot of hand fitting and a handful of ibuprofen to build.

I plan to grab a couple of 1969's and build at least one. Not sure if it will fly or if I will rework and finish the 90% complete 2001 kit and fly it on the big anniversary. My old Centuri kits will not come out of retirement.

It's interesting to see the specs of the 1969 listed with the same 11 oz. weight as the 2157. I guess the plastic transition section and a few injection molded parts are still thin enough to keep the weight about the same. For reference the 2001 version was listed at 10.2 oz and the K-36 was 9.9 oz.

Earl
11-22-2018, 08:10 PM

John Boren

John-

Thanks for posting these images and info. Answers many questions we've been batting around about this 'new' bird.

Based on the CAD images of the LEM shroud (Spacecraft/Lunar Module Adapter or 'SLA' as it was called) you posted, it appears to have a recovery system lug molded into the bottom. If so, is this the new separation point for the model, or will it still separate at the previous location at the top of the second stage?

Earl

JumpJet
11-22-2018, 11:06 PM
is this the new separation point for the model

No, it will still separate at the same place as before. Hopefully another future model can use this part for it's separation point. It's always nice to plan ahead just in case it is needed.

John Boren

rocketguy101
11-23-2018, 12:52 AM
No, it will still separate at the same place as before. Hopefully another future model can use this part for it's separation point. It's always nice to plan ahead just in case it is needed.

John Boren
ooooohhhhh!!!! a 1/100th Saturn 1B ?!?!?

stefanj
11-23-2018, 10:40 AM
Deeply conflicted about whether to buy the new Saturn V.

I'm finally building the Saturn V I bought in 1999! I managed to deform the forward-most wrap, and can't quite figure out how to best place the 2nd / 3rd stage shroud wrap (there will be a gap in the fore or aft).

I recently retired and can't justify buying the new Saturn just on a whim.

Also, I have a 1/70th Apogee saturn still waiting to be build.

Maybe if Santa gives me a big check this year . . .

LeeR
11-23-2018, 11:15 AM
Deeply conflicted about whether to buy the new Saturn V.

I'm finally building the Saturn V I bought in 1999! I managed to deform the forward-most wrap, and can't quite figure out how to best place the 2nd / 3rd stage shroud wrap (there will be a gap in the fore or aft).

I recently retired and can't justify buying the new Saturn just on a whim.

Also, I have a 1/70th Apogee saturn still waiting to be build.

Maybe if Santa gives me a big check this year . . .

You must be building the #2157 — 30th Anniversary Edition? That’s the one I started recently. I’ve got the injection molded fins for it. Odds are I have a reasonable chance of finishing before next July, even at my current snail-like pace.

tbzep
11-23-2018, 12:26 PM
and can't quite figure out how to best place the 2nd / 3rd stage shroud wrap (there will be a gap in the fore or aft).

Unless they changed it later in the production run, the transition and the corrugation that lays on top aren't cut at the same angle. I haven't built a 2157, but my son did and ended up printing off a new transition on card stock that matched the angle for the corrugation wrap. It came out perfect.

5x7
11-23-2018, 01:50 PM

John Boren

Great idea!

stefanj
11-24-2018, 06:56 PM
You must be building the #2157 — 30th Anniversary Edition? That’s the one I started recently. I’ve got the injection molded fins for it. Odds are I have a reasonable chance of finishing before next July, even at my current snail-like pace.

Some here. I got the injection-molded fins after feeling frustrated with the wraps and blow-molded fins.

Plan is to have by July a Little Joe I, Mercury Redstone, Gemini Titan (the old Estes cluster), Little Joe II, 1/70 th Saturn 1B (built, need to paint and decal) and Saturn V.

When the 1999 edition came out, I bought FOUR of them. They were about $50 from discounters. I thought I'd build one and use the rest as gifts for the then-young children of cousins and friends. Well! None of them showed the slightest interest in rockets, so I sold them, barely making a profit, the year before last.

If anyone has an extra wrap for the forward end of the third stage, let me know!

LeeR
11-24-2018, 08:27 PM
[…]

Plan is to have by July a Little Joe I, Mercury Redstone, Gemini Titan (the old Estes cluster), Little Joe II, 1/70 th Saturn 1B (built, need to paint and decal) and Saturn V.

[…]

That’s ambitious! My list is equally so:

Build the Saturn V, paint my built Estes 1:100 Saturn 1B, build my 1:100 Estes Little Joe II, then try to build either my Semroc or Apogee 1:70 Saturn 1B, and 1:45 Little Joe II. I also have several Mercury-Redstones, an accur8 set of fins and body wrap for one, and a Mercury-Atlas. It’s almost laughable to list all of these. :)

Would love to have a Gemini-Titan.

If I still have time, maybe do a Saturn Skylab with one of my extra kits, then there’s the Apogee Saturn V I’ve always wanted ...

Scott_650
11-24-2018, 10:14 PM
Whew! Good to know I’ll have company, at least in spirit, as I attempt to build at least one of my Dr. Zooch Saturn Vs, my BMS/Always Saturn V, the Estes Little Joe II, finish my Dr. Zooch Mercury Redstone, and then the yet to purchased 1/100 Estes Saturn V and Mercury Little Joe. All in time for NARAM 😂

LeeR
11-24-2018, 11:52 PM
I forgot one ...I have a Zooch Saturn 1 SA-5, as well!

leftover
11-25-2018, 01:11 AM
Some here. I got the injection-molded fins after feeling frustrated with the wraps and blow-molded fins.

When the 1999 edition came out, I bought FOUR of them. They were about $50 from discounters. I thought I'd build one and use the rest as gifts for the then-young children of cousins and friends. Well! None of them showed the slightest interest in rockets, so I sold them, barely making a profit, the year before last.

If anyone has an extra wrap for the forward end of the third stage, let me know!
Which wrap you need I have an extra set One of mine was damaged and Mary at Estes was kind enough to send me a whole set last year.
Let me know.

stefanj
11-25-2018, 09:49 AM
Which wrap you need I have an extra set One of mine was damaged and Mary at Estes was kind enough to send me a whole set last year.
Let me know.

Thank you!

It's the narrow wrap at the very front of the third stage, just aft of the LEM shroud. I hope that is the one you didn't need!

I would be happy to pay for shipping. Not sure of the best shipping method; maybe curled up inside of a flat can in a priority envelope.

Stefan

leftover
11-25-2018, 02:03 PM
Stefan
Nope that’s is not the one I used.
Pm me you address and I will mail it out this week
I have a small round mailer tube that it will fit in
Don’t worry about postage I got it covered.

tbzep
11-28-2018, 06:40 PM
I know it's been mentioned before, but not in a good while.

Painting the Saturn V...

When I was a kid, I scored two of the ultimate kits, the Centuri Saturn 1B and Saturn V. The Estes Saturn 1B was out of production by the time I got good enough to try to tackle advanced kits.

The Centuri instructions called for flat white paint. Over the years I've seen them painted with gloss white. The flat white yellowed ever so slightly most likely due to a combination of dirty young hands and aging. I don't think I dull coated them, but I don't remember for sure. My gloss white kits have stayed white over the years.

What does this matter? Well, scale nuts like to match things as exact as they can. Turns out, this off white color is dang near spot-on. I've been lurking a lot on the Saturn Rocket History facebook group and they post a crap load of pics of the Saturns in all phases of construction, fueling, flight, etc. When viewing a fueled Saturn V you get to see the distinct contrast between the white frost and the white paint. When I hold something fresh and pure white up to my old Saturns, it's as close to a perfect match in contrast as one can get!

Check out the frost over the first stage O2 tanks vs the paint!

LeeR
11-30-2018, 05:10 PM
I know it's been mentioned before, but not in a good while.

Painting the Saturn V...

Your post about painting reminded me of things I had heard about clear coating, but never experienced. First is that it can get sticky. I never experienced that until going to NSL in Geneseo, NY last Memorial Day. It gets hot here in Colorado, but never humid. When I heard that clear finishes could get dirty, I figured people in the Midwest or East must be using different clears than me. Sure enough, my army green Honest John, with a flat clear finish, felt “soft” in the humidity. I was afraid I’d leave finger prints in the clear coat. (I’ve flown at LDRS years ago in Kansas, but back in the 90s, who would clearcoat a big rocket? :). Mine hardly ever had decals. Maybe some Trim Monokote.).

I now better understand why painting is easier here. Heck, even in winter, you can dash outside, spray a coat of paint, and be back inside before your rocket and paint know it was cold outside, especially if it’s a sunny day. And humidity? Only if it’s raining... even the snow is dry.

sandman
11-30-2018, 06:11 PM
There are a lot of issues to take into account with exact color and honestly white is the worst color to try and match with paint (for me).

A long long time ago in another hobby of mine, model railroading, there was a similar argument on colors. It had to do with the colors in full scale getting grayer with distance. The problem was scale distances don't "gray" the same as full scale distances.

That hit me as a duh moment.

LeeR
11-30-2018, 06:23 PM
[…]
There are a lot of issues to take into account with exact color and honestly white is the worst color to try and match with paint (for me).
[…]

You are so right about white. And that reminds me of a white paint incident ...

I tend to use Rustoleum 2X, and the cans of white look similar to cans of white primer. My cans of white primer now all have a Sharpie marking on the cap that says PRIMER!

A few years ago I sprayed a primer coat over a white top coat. It looked similar, maybe a little flatter in sheen...

But the story has a happy ending. After a really light sanding, and two top coats of real white paint, it looked just fine. :)

BEC
11-30-2018, 07:36 PM
I've done the opposite with Rusto 2x - sprayed gloss white when I intended to use primer. Good idea to mark can lids with a Sharpie. I will go do that right now!

LeeR
12-01-2018, 12:36 AM
I've done the opposite with Rusto 2x - sprayed gloss white when I intended to use primer. Good idea to mark can lids with a Sharpie. I will go do that right now!

Bernard, thank you, and sorry, but now I don’t feel quite so bad. ;)

I find that as I get older, I make a lot of reminder notes, or in this case reminder markings.

jeffyjeep
12-01-2018, 12:42 AM

THANK GOD! I thought I was the only one that had ever done that!

BEC
12-01-2018, 10:24 PM
And as I was marking lids I rediscovered my can of satin white enamel used on my Estes V2 built originally for the mass launch at NSL in Alamogordo (where I met Lee). That is even easier to mix up with primer if one doesn’t look too closely at the cap or label :eek:

Fortunately the time I messed it up was a sport model that I didn’t care too much about getting “just right” so I just let it be and finished it with no primer. It’s good enough for its intended purpose.

tdracer
12-02-2018, 11:07 PM
While I'm proud of my scratchbuilt escape towers that I made to replace broken ones on my Centuri kits, I hope the new Apollo capsule assembly will be sold separately. I hate flying without the full assembly, so it would be nice to have four or five extras around that don't require a lot of hand fitting and a handful of ibuprofen to build.

I came up with a good way to reinforce the Apollo escape towers for the ones I plan to fly (I've build a lot of Saturn V's over the years - over 20 of the various Estes version). I bought some 1/4" diameter clear acrylic rod - drill appropriately sized holes in the top of the capsule and the bottom of the escape motor (do it before final assembly), then insert a length of the clear rod after it's done and painted. Works great! All the Estes Saturn's I've built the last several years that I planned to fly have had 29mm (or 38mm - I59s are awesome in a Saturn V) mounts, so the extra strength comes in real handy.

I had a case of the last 2157 Saturn V I picked up when they were cheap - I had plans to do some experiments with pop-out fin staging but somehow just never got around to doing it. So I sold them all on ebay for a tidy profit after I confirmed Estes was going to release a 50th Anniversary edition.

I've been having to bite my tongue (or sit on my hands :cool: ) a bit - I'd helped John B with some scale questions when he was developing the new Saturn V and knew details of what it was going to be - but had promised John I'd stay mum until the new kit was out.

My plan for July 2019 is slightly different. I did my Level 1 cert with an Apogee 1/70th Saturn V. My Level 2 cert was July 4, 2009 at LDRS with a 1/48 scale Sheri's Hot Rocket Saturn V. I recently stumbled across a Skunk Works 10" Saturn V kit (1/33 scale) - the plan is to built that and use it to do my Level 3 cert next June or July :D

LeeR
12-02-2018, 11:54 PM
I like your style! Using Saturn Vs for certification flights is pretty cool.

My L1 and L2 were both scratch-built rockets. I’m probably in the minority but I just think using a “conventional” kit is taking a short cut. Using a Saturn is far from conventional. :)

Rocket Babe
12-03-2018, 05:51 PM
I also like the idea of using a great rocket like the Saturn V for doing a level 1 but when I wanted to do it 10 years ago I was told I couldn't cluster to a H to do it.

I understand why the rule, I don't agree with it, but I understand it. After all, it had been done before.

I think clustering would have proven more skill all the way around.

Verna

L3Excalibur
12-03-2018, 08:03 PM
[QUOTE=Rocket Babe]I also like the idea of using a great rocket like the Saturn V for doing a level 1 but when I wanted to do it 10 years ago I was told I couldn't cluster to a H to do it.

I understand why the rule, I don't agree with it, but I understand it. After all, it had been done before.

I think clustering would have proven more skill all the way around. /QUOTE]

You are correct, and there was much debate about this when deciding on the certification rules (in both Tripoli and NAR). In the end, it was decided that since the desire was to include the use of an HPR motor of the power range being certified, you couldn't really cluster that many, anyway. Plus, composite clustering is a more advanced capability than single motor composite flights. Who is allowed to certify clusters? Flyers who have never done that?

And while it is always great to want to 'certify in style', you can always do the cluster flight after you cert. Certifying isn't for showing off how capable you are. It's for showing a certain core competency level. Nothing more.

Finally, I'm not trying to start a debate here. I am a clustering fan. BP and AP. LPR and HPR.

Actual on-topic comment: I got a 5 motor 3D printed lower Sat V section from Boyce. 24 + 4 x 18. Modifying an Estes Sat V for flying next year.

the mole
12-03-2018, 09:08 PM
Ladies and gentlemen the ESTES Saturn V is now ready for sale on the ESTES site.

L3Excalibur
12-04-2018, 10:11 AM
[QUOTE=Rocket Babe]I also like the idea of using a great rocket like the Saturn V for doing a level 1 but when I wanted to do it 10 years ago I was told I couldn't cluster to a H to do it.

I think clustering would have proven more skill all the way around. /QUOTE]

You are correct, and there was much debate about this when deciding on the certification rules (in both Tripoli and NAR). In the end, it was decided that since the desire was to include the use of an HPR motor of the power range being certified, you couldn't really cluster that many, anyway. Plus, composite clustering is a more advanced capability than single motor composite flights. Who is allowed to certify clusters? Flyers who have never done that?

And while it is always great to want to 'certify in style', you can always do the cluster flight after you cert. Certifying isn't for showing off how capable you are. It's for showing a certain core competency level. Nothing more.

Finally, I'm not trying to start a debate here. I am a clustering fan. BP and AP. LPR and HPR.

Actual on-topic comment: I purchased a 5 motor 3D printed lower Sat V section from Boyce. 24 + 4 x 18. Modifying an Estes Sat V for flying next year.

the mole
12-04-2018, 12:58 PM
Estes elves getting those Saturn V ready for Chrismas delivery.
https://www.facebook.com/estesrockets/videos/584952318627505/

Shreadvector
12-04-2018, 02:03 PM
Not available online at this point in time. Website changed.

500 in hobby shops (now - if they ordered them and if you have a hobby shop that actually exists).

On the Estes website in January.

Maybe the website will change again and this info will be superseded?

Shreadvector
12-04-2018, 02:08 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7r-B3gsxcY

Initiator001
12-04-2018, 02:41 PM
Ordered one last night when the model was available on the website.

Received an order number and e-mail.

Credit card charge is 'Pending'.

Bob

Shreadvector
12-04-2018, 02:45 PM
Maybe we should hire an airplane?

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/a-mysterious-message-was-flown-over-ford-hq-on-monday-and-heres-why-a-superfan-did-it

Ordered one last night when the model was available on the website.

Received an order number and e-mail.

Credit card charge is 'Pending'.

Bob

Scott_650
12-04-2018, 09:31 PM
According to John Boren on the NAR Facebook page Estes had a number of the plastic parts sets air freighted to Penrose - there’s a picture floating around of Estes employees filling the kit boxes - so they could send out the 500 kits they promised to their distributors. They put the leftover kits (above the 500) on the Estes website which were sold out very quickly. By January their normal supply chain process will kick in and according to John “there will be plenty of Saturns to go around”.

IIRC the 2157 Saturn was readily available for at least a couple years hopefully it’ll be the same for the 1969 version.

LeeR
12-04-2018, 09:55 PM
I think the pent-up demand for the new Saturn will keep it around for quite awhile. On the FB rocketry groups, lots of people have bemoaned the discontinuance of the #2157, not realizing it had come back several times. I am building the 30th anniversary #2157, and I have several more recent reissues.

Now that people are learning that there are new plastic parts, and a bonus LM kit in this latest #1969 kit, it should have a very successsful, and hopefully long, run.

I first met Ellis Langford at NSL, then again at NARAM, and on the Estes Tour during NARAM. I’ve heard him talk about hopes for the company’s directions, and I don’t think I am the only one to get a sense that he wants scale kits like the Saturn V to stay around as one of their flagship offerings.

I’m really hoping for a reissue of the 1:100 Saturn 1B. I built one last year, it just needs paint. I didn’t sell any of my Saturn V #2157 kits, or my #2001 kit, when the #1969 plans were revealed. But I might be tempted to sell a couple of my Saturn 1Bs if it looks promising that a reissue is coming, especially if those 8 tiny vacuformed fins get replaced with injection molded ones.

Randy
12-04-2018, 10:26 PM
Estes elves getting those Saturn V ready for Chrismas delivery.
https://www.facebook.com/estesrockets/videos/584952318627505/

Glad to see this but I have to say that both Uncle Mike and I have better looking elves.

:D

Randy

Royatl
12-05-2018, 01:16 PM
...I was told I couldn't cluster to a H to do it.

I think clustering would have proven more skill all the way around.

The point is more in proving handling of the more powerful motor than of the total power itself. Clustering can be done in cert flights, and it has been done with Saturn V models (though a really big one). But the cert was based on the largest motor in the cluster (a K) and not the total power (which was L-ish).

Initiator001
12-05-2018, 02:40 PM
My Saturn V model has shipped! :D

LeeR
12-05-2018, 03:22 PM
My Saturn V model has shipped! :D

Congratulations!

I hope you’ll do an unboxing and a “show and tell” of all those new parts! :)

Scott_650
12-05-2018, 04:28 PM
Congratulations!

Here’s another vote for some unboxing pix - until they’re in stock at AC Supply I’ll need some vicarious Saturn V thrills...

leftover
12-05-2018, 11:41 PM
Dang I missed it at Estes and Jon’s and I have been checking every day

Initiator001
12-06-2018, 02:07 PM
Congratulations!

Sure.

I will open up the box and take pictures after I receive the kit next week.

Some of you may want to have a paper bag for 'emergency' use next to your monitor in case you begin to hyperventilate. ;) :D

Newbomb Turk
12-10-2018, 04:03 PM
Available now on ebay, only $350.

Scott_650
12-10-2018, 06:42 PM
Available now on ebay, only $350.
Well, I’m all about charging whatever the market will bear but anyone who can’t either pay list price at one of the lucky LHS with one on the shelf or wait a month when normal availability starts is waaaay more eager to be the first one on the block than me!

Scott_650
12-18-2018, 08:58 PM
Estes #1969 Saturn V live to order from eRockets.biz!!

ghrocketman
12-19-2018, 10:12 AM
Just checked eRockets....Saturn V UNavailable for order.

Scott_650
12-19-2018, 01:33 PM
I ordered one from MegaHobby last night and received my UPS tracking number this afternoon. I was going to wait till Estes had them in normal distribution but my wife convinced me otherwise - saved her trying to figure out a Christmas present. After 38 Christmases it’s gets tough picking presents...😆

jeffyjeep
12-20-2018, 05:52 AM
Just checked eRockets....Saturn V UNavailable for order.

NOW it shows it as available.

astronwolf
12-20-2018, 10:34 AM
After 38 Christmases it’s gets tough picking presents...😆
Socks

ghrocketman
12-20-2018, 11:07 AM
I'm waiting for AC Supply to get them.
They will be selling at a realistic non-ripoff price.

LeeR
12-20-2018, 11:20 AM
I resisted ordering, since I’m currently building a #2157, and have two more, plus a really old #2001. I’ll wait until January to get the new one. :)

I did bookmark MegaHobby, I had never heard of them. I tend to use AC Supply for Estes, and Hobbylinc for reloads, but options are always good. Thanks!

Scott_650
12-20-2018, 12:35 PM
I'm waiting for AC Supply to get them.
They will be selling at a realistic non-ripoff price.
MegaHobby had them for $10 off list - so with shipping total cost was less than list, which is nice. AC will probably have them for less but’s that’s ok, I’m good with what I paid.

ghrocketman
12-20-2018, 12:59 PM
I'm thinking AC Supply will have them for between 49.99 and 59.99.
I can throw in another LJII and an LJ I then for same as the Estes list.

tbzep
12-20-2018, 01:39 PM
I resisted ordering, since I’m currently building a #2157, and have two more, plus a really old #2001. I’ll wait until January to get the new one. :)

I did bookmark MegaHobby, I had never heard of them. I tend to use AC Supply for Estes, and Hobbylinc for reloads, but options are always good. Thanks!
I have a half finished 2001 which will I will use for demos with iffy recovery areas. It's set up for stock 24mm, but I might rip that out and work it up for an interchangeable mount.

My old Centuri model is retired and on permanent display. I have two more open box Centuri kits with one that has had some assembly. Not sure what I'll do with them other than display the cool boxes. I got them cheap because of some damage to the boxes, but they still look good to me.

Even though I still have a NIB 2157, I'll grab the new 1969 at some point after Christmas. I'm not sure if I'll build to fly or build to display. I'll probably build one to fly. It wouldn't look right displayed next to the old Centuri kit with it's aged patina.

As an aside, anybody want to bet I can build a 2001 light enough to cluster three B6-2's and get it back in one piece? It's only 4 n/s lower than a D12-3 and the 2001 will be lighter than the old Centuri kit by several oz. A single D12-3 was perfect for the heavier Centuri kit with the wadding eliminator (piston driven clam shell) I designed when I was a kid to save money on wadding. The 2001 may eject a little too early with a D12-3 in calm air.

LeeR
12-20-2018, 07:30 PM
Even though I still have a NIB 2157, I'll grab the new 1969 at some point after Christmas.

Tim,

Did you buy the injection molded fins for your #2157? I bought a couple sets last year. I’d love to see Estes add the plastic SLA as another “replacement” part. I’d buy a few for my Saturn Vs and 1Bs.

I’m still trying to imagine if my #2001 kit will ever get opened. Maybe your plan to cluster it is a worthy consideration for mine, too. Any thought to make it a 5 motor cluster? My other consideration for some time would be to stay with the single D12 in one of my #2157s, but modify it to fly with the four outer F1s in place. Obviously the motor needs to come WAY back in the body tube, with some nose weight to fix the CG shift.

tbzep
12-21-2018, 12:47 PM
Tim,

Did you buy the injection molded fins for your #2157? I bought a couple sets last year. I’d love to see Estes add the plastic SLA as another “replacement” part. I’d buy a few for my Saturn Vs and 1Bs.

I’m still trying to imagine if my #2001 kit will ever get opened. Maybe your plan to cluster it is a worthy consideration for mine, too. Any thought to make it a 5 motor cluster? My other consideration for some time would be to stay with the single D12 in one of my #2157s, but modify it to fly with the four outer F1s in place. Obviously the motor needs to come WAY back in the body tube, with some nose weight to fix the CG shift.
I haven't bought any fins for any of them.

I've thought about reworking the 2001 fins to make them closer to scale, but that all depends on how hard it will be to remove the shrouds. I can make clear slip-on fins like the classic 60's-70's Centuri and Estes kits pretty easily. The Centuri style would bugger up the balsa fins but would be lighter than the Estes style. Not sure what I want to do there. Leaving it stock would be the lightest option.

I'd just make a removable mount on the 2001 to leave it as light as possible and still have the option to do a 3 motor cluster. I might do a center with outboards on the 2157 or 1969 one day.

BARGeezer
01-09-2019, 05:40 PM
Just got an email from AC Supply. Orders are being taken now, shipping starts from the third week of this month. Price is $53.99 plus shipping.

ghrocketman
01-09-2019, 06:01 PM
Now that is a reasonable and SANE price for the Estes Saturn V.
Will order once in stock.

Bob Austin
01-09-2019, 11:13 PM
Got the same e-mail and placed an order. Should be a nice build based on what some of the early birds have been showing. :)

ghrocketman
01-11-2019, 01:56 PM
One of my 3 LHSs has the new 1969 Saturn V in stock.
Priced WAYYYYYYYY too high however....like $4 below full retail.
Offered $63 which is $10 above AC Supply and they declined...told them good luck with their price.
I'll wait for AC Supply.

eljefe
01-21-2019, 05:44 PM
Word is AC Supply will start shipping Saturn Vs by middle of this week. I went ahead and ordered one.

To help reach the free shipping limit, I also added an SLV (#7236). This kit seems to have disappeared off the Estes site and is out of stock at several other vendors. If you want to pick one up, time may be running out.

tdracer
01-21-2019, 08:51 PM
I placed an order with AC about 2 weeks ago - according to the UPS email I got the order shipped today (and should arrive Friday).
I'll need to fit it in the build que though - most of my building time right now is being dedicated to the Polecat Saturn V that I plan to use for my Level 3 cert :D

BEC
01-21-2019, 09:52 PM
To help reach the free shipping limit, I also added an SLV (#7236). This kit seems to have disappeared off the Estes site and is out of stock at several other vendors. If you want to pick one up, time may be running out.

John Boren told me when it came out that the SLV is s SPEV....so when they're gone, they're gone. It uses up a bunch of balsa nose cones they were/are phasing out, including five BNC-50Js.

Sounds like I'd better decide about ordering the 1969. I have a 2157 that I am going to build for practice that's awaiting its chance to get on the workbench.

jeffyjeep
01-22-2019, 02:31 PM
I placed an order with AC about 2 weeks ago - according to the UPS email I got the order shipped today (and should arrive Friday).
I'll need to fit it in the build que though - most of my building time right now is being dedicated to the Polecat Saturn V that I plan to use for my Level 3 cert :D
Mine are on the way, AC sent me a tracking number!

Neener! Neener! Neener!

astronwolf
01-22-2019, 03:24 PM
Mine are on the way, AC sent me a tracking number!

Neener! Neener! Neener!
They sent us tracking numbers, but did the packages actually leave the facility as of 4:23 pm EST? :chuckle:

tdracer
01-22-2019, 04:42 PM
They sent us tracking numbers, but did the packages actually leave the facility as of 4:23 pm EST? :chuckle:

Mine shows as 'in transit' in Hodgkins, IL. So at least in my case, yes :p

jeffyjeep
01-22-2019, 08:41 PM
Mine says it’s actually in transit. AC supply is approx. 300 miles from me so it will probably be waiting for me when I return from Raleigh.

Initiator001
01-22-2019, 09:55 PM
I received my Estes Saturn V #1969 back in December.

What took you guys so long? ;) :chuckle: :D

tdracer
01-22-2019, 10:05 PM
I received my Estes Saturn V #1969 back in December.

What took you guys so long? ;) :chuckle: :D

I ordered a case. Getting 40% off matters when you buy in bulk :rolleyes:

tbzep
01-22-2019, 10:26 PM
It's "Apollo XI" not "Eleven Apollos"! :eek: :D

tdracer
01-23-2019, 01:40 AM
It's "Apollo XI" not "Eleven Apollos"! :eek: :D

Last time I added it up, I'd built over 30 of the various Estes Saturn V kits. When I figure in others (e.g. Apogee and Sirius) it's over 40. One of the Estes Saturn Vs I built sold for $17,000 (granted, it had been autographed by over a dozen astronauts) .
I go through them rather quickly...

Flash
01-23-2019, 05:16 PM
Mine due in tomorrow from AC supply:)

I plan on having it built and painted in time for a launch on July 16th at 13:32pm EST weather allowing of coarse.

tbzep
01-23-2019, 05:30 PM
Never got a tracking number, but I got a big ole box today. :D

BARGeezer
01-23-2019, 05:48 PM
Never got a tracking number, but I got a big ole box today. :D
Mine went to the spam folder. "Why is this in spam? it is similar to..."
I'm guessing same thing happened to you.

tbzep
01-23-2019, 05:56 PM
Mine went to the spam folder. "Why is this in spam? it is similar to..."
I'm guessing same thing happened to you.
I looked too. Just the usual Canadian Pharmacy spam.

Earl
01-23-2019, 06:22 PM
Mine due in tomorrow from AC supply:)

I plan on having it built and painted in time for a launch on July 16th at 13:32pm EST weather allowing of coarse.

I believe that is 13:32 UTC, not EST. In other words, to match Apollo 11's launch time, launch at 9:32 a.m., eastern.

Earl

jeffyjeep
01-23-2019, 09:10 PM
How many are in a case?

Newbomb Turk
01-24-2019, 12:13 PM
You can still get one for $350 on ebay should you so desire.

Flash
01-24-2019, 03:27 PM
Thank you!

Just got mine off ups truck😉

BEC
01-24-2019, 03:53 PM
They're showing up as "temp NA" on the AC Supply site now. So maybe they didn't get as many as we were speculating they did. :eek:

jeffyjeep: Tim told us at the last WAC launch that there are four in a case.

ghrocketman
01-24-2019, 04:51 PM
One of the LHS's I frequent had two in stock last week...full retail of course, so I passed.

jeffyjeep
01-24-2019, 05:38 PM
“The Vixen” informed me that mine arrived today! Yay!

tdracer
01-24-2019, 07:48 PM
How many are in a case?

Depends on the size of the kit - for the Saturn V there are only four. Most of the small stuff a case is 24 kits.

jeffyjeep
01-25-2019, 04:41 PM
and..................................Voila! :D

Bob Austin
01-25-2019, 05:38 PM
Emailed AC Supply about my order as I hadn't heard anything yet. Turns out in my case they were waiting on shipments of the Explorer Aquarius model as well. Estes had two shipments of Saturn Vs coming to AC Supply and some got through the weather while others were delayed. They got the shipments in and Doug indicated my order should be shipped today.

So if you had an Aquarius on your order that may be the reason you haven't heard anything. I think the folks at AC Supply were surprised at the response they received to the release of the new Saturn V... which in a way is probably a good thing!

tdracer
01-25-2019, 06:19 PM
Depends on the size of the kit - for the Saturn V there are only four. Most of the small stuff a case is 24 kits.

My order just showed up as well - five 1969 Saturn V kits, two Little Joe I, two Nike Smoke (I got my hands on an old Enerjet Nike Smoke nose that 'smokes', so I needed the rocket to go with it), and a Little Joe II kit (I have something I want to try with the LJ II - stay tuned :cool: .

jeffyjeep
01-25-2019, 08:39 PM
My order just showed up as well - five 1969 Saturn V kits, two Little Joe I, two Nike Smoke (I got my hands on an old Enerjet Nike Smoke nose that 'smokes', so I needed the rocket to go with it), and a Little Joe II kit (I have something I want to try with the LJ II - stay tuned :cool: .

Oo! Oo! I have a guess! An LJII with an escape motor that actually fires?