PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Estes #2154 Wildfire

mojo1986
06-24-2007, 09:07 AM
I would like to purchase one of these kits.................apparently sold by Estes in 1998. Anybody out there have one that they would be willing to let go? Does this kit fall into the 'vaporware' category?

Joe

CPMcGraw
06-24-2007, 09:31 AM
I would like to purchase one of these kits.................apparently sold by Estes in 1998. Anybody out there have one that they would be willing to let go? Does this kit fall into the 'vaporware' category?

Joe

To collect, or build & fly?

If you just want to build & fly :D then determining which body tube it used would be a good start. Judging from the nose cone, it looks like it might be the same as the "Launchables" Bandit, which would make it the HBT-1090.

It uses TTW fins (optional for a clone), but a good set of balsa fins could be fashioned from the pattern on the front sheet of the instructions.

If matching the diameter is not absolutely critical (good enough for a clone) then the SEMROC series 10 components would be a close compromise. They're only 0.05" smaller in diameter.

If you're collecting, then this won't help...:rolleyes:

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-24-2007, 10:19 AM
No, the Wildfire is a BT-50 kit and can be easily cloned with the Sky Writer cone. I'm on my second one. The first I bought so I could use the cone to clone a Satellite Interceptor back in 2001. I found another PNC-50 that I liked and built the body of the Wildfire around it. Treed it. I bought another one off of the Beer Skunk last summer. I've got all the scans if you need them.

CPMcGraw
06-24-2007, 10:49 AM
No, the Wildfire is a BT-50 kit and can be easily cloned with the Sky Writer cone. I'm on my second one. The first I bought so I could use the cone to clone a Satellite Interceptor back in 2001. I found another PNC-50 that I liked and built the body of the Wildfire around it. Treed it. I bought another one off of the Beer Skunk last summer. I've got all the scans if you need them.

So that NC is the PNC-50BB? Is the "throw-away" piece the Black Brant III tailcone?

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-24-2007, 06:58 PM
So that NC is the PNC-50BB? Is the "throw-away" piece the Black Brant III tailcone?

Yes, that's the cone. I'm not throwing that piece away. It makes a nice display piece for a Satellite Interceptor. :cool:

scigs30
06-24-2007, 08:58 PM
I bought mine here last month for 8.99. You can call and see if they have any more. Most of the stuff they list is no longer for sale. Good luck.

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-24-2007, 09:08 PM
I bought mine here last month for 8.99. You can call and see if they have any more. Most of the stuff they list is no longer for sale. Good luck.

Where? :rolleyes: ;)

mojo1986
06-25-2007, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the info, guys. It will be a builder for me as I need the nose cone / tail cone to restore my Satellite Interceptor. The tail cone is the critical part as I already have the nose cone from a Skywriter kit. Scigs30, can you tell me where you bought yours?

Joe

Ltvscout
06-25-2007, 08:35 AM
Joe,

You could try here. It's listed in their price list:

http://www.happyhobby.com/hobb_html/estes/estesprice.htm

scigs30
06-25-2007, 11:05 AM
Sorry the link did not work, but it was at happy hoppy. They might still have some.

mojo1986
06-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks again, fellas. I went to the Happy Hobby website to look at the Wildfire kit, but their illustration doesn't show a tailcone on the rocket. So now my question is, does the kit contain the nosecone/tailcone combination part or not? Presumably if it does you don't use the tailcone piece. If it doesn't contain the combo part (i.e. has the nosecone only) then I don't need the kit as I already have that part in my Skywriter kit. Comments anyone?

Joe

scigs30
06-25-2007, 11:16 PM
It comes with it but it is not used, so you could use the Sky Writer nose.

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-26-2007, 12:59 AM
Thanks again, fellas. I went to the Happy Hobby website to look at the Wildfire kit, but their illustration doesn't show a tailcone on the rocket. So now my question is, does the kit contain the nosecone/tailcone combination part or not? Presumably if it does you don't use the tailcone piece. If it doesn't contain the combo part (i.e. has the nosecone only) then I don't need the kit as I already have that part in my Skywriter kit. Comments anyone?

Joe

It's there.