PDA

View Full Version : B6-4 Field oddity

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-06-2007, 12:47 AM
I was on my way to pick my son up at work the other night and was driving past B6-4 Field on the way out of our neighborhood. There was a baseball practice going on on one of the fields, but tucked away in the corner was a guy and a kid crouched over an Estes launch pad. (Same corner I launched from on Black Sunday back in 2002.) I thought about stopping, but I had to get Sam by 9:00. Halfway to the highway my curiousity got the best of me and I turned around.
They were walking back to the car when I got back, so I pulled into the parking lot next to them. The guy had a newer AstroCam, probably from a starter set. We got to talking and I found out that his daughter had bought it at a garage sale for $1. He put it together and he and his grandson went out to try it, but the batteries in the launcher were bad. I told him about our Quark launches and invited him to attend one, but he mentioned that he was more into water rockets. Too bad. I've been keeping an eye out for them since, but I think that AstroCam may find its way to another yard sale sometime soon.
If I can only figure out where....... :rolleyes:

gun
07-06-2007, 02:03 AM
I read your post , brought back memories of days of old so looked in my parts stash to see what is there. Found one very ruff looking Omega missing a fin but still has a Cineroc attached. And one very busted AstroCam my son use to fly, good memories of better days. No film pack in the Cineroc , bet that would be a bear to clone. Any one ever fly one? Any luck with it? I never flew mine as a cam, as my Mom would not spring for getting it done. But it did go up a time or two. Guess I will have to sping for a Snap Shot with 8 grand kids, time to make some new memories.

Regards gun )}i{( ILMJJC

JRThro
07-06-2007, 08:25 AM
Guess I will have to spring for a Snap Shot with 8 grand kids, time to make some new memories.

Regards gun )}i{( ILMJJC
That sounds like a great idea!

dwmzmm
07-06-2007, 08:52 AM
I read your post , brought back memories of days of old so looked in my parts stash to see what is there. Found one very ruff looking Omega missing a fin but still has a Cineroc attached. And one very busted AstroCam my son use to fly, good memories of better days. No film pack in the Cineroc , bet that would be a bear to clone. Any one ever fly one? Any luck with it? I never flew mine as a cam, as my Mom would not spring for getting it done. But it did go up a time or two. Guess I will have to sping for a Snap Shot with 8 grand kids, time to make some new memories.

Regards gun )}i{( ILMJJC

If you don't want your Cineroc, I'll take it!!! :D

Chas Russell
07-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Gun,

You could always convert the Cineroc to take the Boostervision camera system that Art Upton sells. Make it the Electronic Cineroc!
Mine is in a box. Sure wish I had kept the original box.

Chas

dwmzmm
07-06-2007, 09:30 AM
Gun,

You could always convert the Cineroc to take the Boostervision camera system that Art Upton sells. Make it the Electronic Cineroc!
Mine is in a box. Sure wish I had kept the original box.

Chas

Hey, Chas. I have the "original box," but my Cineroc was reduced to many, many tiny
pieces after its last flight (June 2004)....

mojo1986
07-07-2007, 06:56 AM
GUN.................I recently saw plans on the internet to make a video payload very inexpensively from a pencam that will outperform the Cineroc (which was always tricky to use). Moreover, there's no film to worry about...........just hook to your computer with the cord that comes with the camera and download the video directly to your hard drive. I recently saw one of these pencams sell on Ebay for $5! If you're interested, send me your email address (use a private message so that you don't risk spam by disclosing your email address in a public forum) and I'll send you the link.

Joe

rocketguy101
07-07-2007, 09:20 AM
Any one ever fly one? Any luck with it?
Regards gun )}i{( ILMJJC

Do a www search on "mike jerauld cineroc" -- he refurbished one and flew it at NARAM 2000--Vern Estes pushed the launch button. There was an article in Model Rocketry mag about reloading your own film cassettes (that may pop up in the search too). Super 8 film stock is hard to find and process--it took Mike some time to do it.

As stated earlier, a Pencam makes a nice video--there was a thread on one of the rocketry forums (I don't remember which one--hey I just turned 50 so gimme a break :) ) that had a lot of detail on how-to. Mounting one in a Cineroc shell would be cool--some purists would consider it sacrilege to modify a classic piece of history but it would still be cool!

I never owned or flew a Cineroc, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express :rolleyes:

Found the thread! clicky (http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=1669&highlight=pencam)

dwmzmm
07-07-2007, 11:01 AM
There's a couple of outstanding model rocketeers who can reload your Cineroc flight
cartridge (if you still have yours) and even help you develop the film (and convert to
video) for you. If you need to know who they are, just PM me if you're interested....

gun
07-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Thanks guys for the heads up and info on the old Cineroc. The film pack sad to say is long lost, I like the pen cam idea, may try that route. Did some one say they turned 50 ... good to see I am not alone, 55 here as of this past May. I am working on a Mini Mean Machine clone for now, just to much stuff on my bench lets see one FW 200 condor, a 1888 commission rifle being restored, and about 6 Estes and Centuri in diffrent states of build, hummm..now lets see... just how much of my hobby money will have to go to bills.

Regards gun )}i{( ILMJJC

Remember growing old is sometimes mandatory growing up is optional.

kurtschachner
07-08-2007, 01:42 PM
There are a couple of challenges in flying a Cineroc today that weren't there 7-8 years ago when I was flying mine. First off, you really want a daylight-balanced film since the Cineroc has no provisions for using a filter over the lens. Now is that a problem? I dunno. Certainly you won't be worrying about accurate face tones on your films so maybe not. Second, you need a fast film due to the Cineroc's abnormally fast shutter speed. Kodak no longer sells any reversal films which are high speed. They only sell negative films which have to be either contact printed to a Super 8 stock or directly converted to DVD. This isn't a problem but adds to the cost.

I have heard of people taping the appropriate color filter over the lens hood but it seems like more trouble than it is worth. I've been thinking of flying my Cinerocs again and I might just try to use Kodak 7217 film without a filter and see what happens. The lab can compensate somewhat for this as well, but you have to tell them to do so.

Kodak has a pretty good portion of their website devoted to Super 8:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/s8mm/index.jhtml

A good place for processing is Yale Film and Video:

http://www.yalefilmandvideo.com/

I know this wasn't a "I want to fly my Cineroc and what do I need to do" thread but I've been thinking about it lately.

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-08-2007, 04:28 PM
I know this wasn't a "I want to fly my Cineroc and what do I need to do" thread but I've been thinking about it lately.

No problem. It was just a chatter thread anyway. ;)