PDA

View Full Version : SAI Hen Grenade Plans

mojo1986
10-01-2007, 09:05 AM
While searching for my folder of Estes decal sheets (I've lost the whole folder and haven't been able to find it for two months!) I came across a set of plans for the old Space Age Industries Hen Grenade. I recalled that someone had been looking for these and did a search..............turns out it was Arley Davis, so Arley, if you're still looking for these, let me know and I'll scan them for you. Scott, if you need a set for your archive please let me know and I'll send the scans to you too.

Joe

Ltvscout
10-01-2007, 09:09 AM
While searching for my folder of Estes decal sheets (I've lost the whole folder and haven't been able to find it for two months!) I came across a set of plans for the old Space Age Industries Hen Grenade. I recalled that someone had been looking for these and did a search..............turns out it was Arley Davis, so Arley, if you're still looking for these, let me know and I'll scan them for you. Scott, if you need a set for your archive please let me know and I'll send the scans to you too.

Joe
Thanks, Joe! Yes, we can use those plans on YORP as well.

mojo1986
10-01-2007, 09:31 AM
OK, Scott. It won't happen today, but I'll get them scanned and forwarded to you as soon as I can. Should I email the scans directly to you?

Joe

Royatl
10-01-2007, 10:52 AM

Joe

Well, I'm sorta looking for them, too, as I still have tubes from the original kit, but I'm in no particular hurry so I'll just wait on you to send them to Scott and for him to post them.

Ltvscout
10-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Well, I'm sorta looking for them, too, as I still have tubes from the original kit, but I'm in no particular hurry so I'll just wait on you to send them to Scott and for him to post them.
Roy,

Joe got the plans scanned today so I sent him my email address to send them to. I'll forward them on to you. Could you write up a doc file listing the parts you have with dimensions and send that over to me?

Phred
10-02-2007, 08:57 AM
Thanks Joe,

The next question is: Where the heck do we find 45mm (1.77") body tubes?

Totally Tubular (the supplier with the widest range of odd tubes) does not carry this.

The closest that I can find is Centuri ST-18 which is 1.84" in diameter.....

Any ideas?

Phred

mojo1986
10-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Phred:

I'm going with the ST-18. It's slightly larger at 1.84" OD, but I'm going to construct my payload/nose cone section from heavy card stock to ensure a strong compartment for the egg, and using the shroud pattern provided means that my part will be slightly oversize due to the thickness of the card stock. So all my parts will be available from Semroc, including the coupler for the payload section. This probably seems like blasphemy to the purist, but I can't get too hung up on a difference of .07" in diameter.

Joe

mojo1986
10-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Phred:

I should have asked this in my last post...............are there decals available for the Hen Grenade?

Joe

Phred
10-03-2007, 01:06 PM
Hi Joe,

I guess I would have to agree, both the ST-18 tube and coupler should work from Semroc.

Althought the decals are not yet finished, I plan on working up a set.

Question: Should they be in white, or yellow?

Ph

mojo1986
10-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Well, Phred, I'm not terribly artistic, but if I get a vote I'll go with yellow (with black 'H' and 'G' in the two white eggs). Judging from the drawing of the Hen Grenade lifting off on page 1 of the plans, and using a body tube length of 11" (not counting the payload section), it looks like the decal had a length of about 5-6". So I'm wondering if the kit name at the top of the plans on page 1 isn't just about exactly right for the decal lettering?

Joe

Phred
10-04-2007, 09:27 AM
OK, I worked thie decal up using the instructions Joe provided. I made them all white as I really could not see any other color being used for eggs.... Does anyone remember if these decals were any other color?

Let me know what you think guys.

Ph

mojo1986
10-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Phred.................when I open your attachment I get a sheet that looks to be approximately 5x7..................is that the size of the decal sheet?

Joe

Phred
10-04-2007, 09:50 AM
Ho Joe,

In a word: No. The sample attached above had to be shrunk in order to fall within the attachment limits of the forum software.The reolution has been downgraded as well. The actual decals are very sharp, and will be printed full-sized based on the last set of plans you sent to me.

Phred

mojo1986
10-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Very, very cool, Phred! Can't wait to see some of these old birds flying! I'll bet it's been a long time since anyone has seen one in the air. Now I'm really glad that I lost my folder of Estes decal sheets, because the search for them turned up the Hen Grenade plans. Luckily, they didn't have the patterns cut out. Kudos to you for jumping on this so quickly! You provide a great service! And while I'm throwing the kudos around, three cheers for Scott for starting up and maintaining this website...............it has done a tremendous service to the community of rocketry buffs, and especially all of the old timers like me and you!

Joe

PS................I have already started my Hen Grenade build!

Green Dragon
10-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Cool decal sheet ( and quick turnaround, too :)

I'm looking forward to the plans fo rthis one as well ( are they posted someplace 'off yorp' yet ? , no rush, since the que is overflowing now , just curious

of note: think it was Phred asking about tubing - ( might have to build mine with an old LOC 1.75" tube I have ) - however....

BMS does list a full length tube coupler for the C188 tube, coupler stock measures 1.796" od, which is closer than the 1.84" tubes.

~ AL

ps: anyone building one be sure to send pics !!!!!! :D

mojo1986
10-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Al:

I have started my Hen Grenade build. Don't have a body tube yet, but I thought I'd get started on the nose cone which is made from paper using patterns supplied with the kit instructions. The plan is to get this thing smooth and as round as possible, then apply a layer of tissue paper using dope to seal it.

Joe

Phred
10-05-2007, 08:06 PM
I ordered ST-18 tubes and couplers from SEMROC, so they should be here in... ummm about 10 minutes ! :eek:

Seriously, I have wanted to build this ugly duckling ever since I learned of it.

Phred

Royatl
10-06-2007, 02:12 AM
grrrr. I was looking at the tubes I have, and the drawing in the SAI catalog, and realized that sometime in the deep dark past, I cut off a length of the longer tube. Don't remember doing so, or what it would've been for.

So what I have is the payload tube, a tube coupler, and the main body tube, but only about 7" of it.

I also have a balsa transition for it. Don't have the calipers or any other measurement tool here with me, but it looks like the other end is 1.3" and the length is about 1.5".

Phred
10-11-2007, 01:45 PM
I have been working on my Hen Grenade as well. I received my parts from SEMROC, and have built and glued in the engine mount, cut out and sanded two of the three fins, and fabricated the nosecone/payload compartment.

I am also covering the nose with tissue and dope. I figured I would go ahead and cover the entire rocket while I am at it, then add a coat of colored dope for that vintage look.

I will post some pics as soon as I have something worth looking at.

Phred

mojo1986
10-12-2007, 08:15 PM
Phred.............I'm in no rush to get mine done since the launch season is pretty much finished up here for this year. I haven't even ordered my tubes from Semroc yet. I did manage to put a layer of tissue/dope on my nose cone yesterday. I sure am looking forward to seeing pictures of your build.

Joe

PS...............did you go ahead with the Semroc ST-18?

Phred
10-12-2007, 08:37 PM
OK, I am finisehd with the basic construction of the model, and next will come the finishing.

The cone is 110# card stock glued with UHU paper glue, with one coat of clear dope then covered with blue jap tissue, and painted with 2 coats of blue dope.
The cone is strange looking, but light and strong. (Don't let he picture fool you: it is nowhere as pretty as your nosecone Joe!)
I did go with the Centuri/Semroc ST18 tube, and all of the plan patterns fit well.
The fins are 1/8" c-grain balsa, as is the bulkhead in the payload section.
I plan on tissuing the entire model.

This sure is one odd looking model.... but I like it. It is kinda ugly cute like a Bulldog.

Phred

barone
10-13-2007, 12:16 AM
Maybe it should be added to the list of ugly rockets that look kinda cute. I think Bill started it with his D.A.R.T. ;) Where are the plans for this bird?

mojo1986
10-13-2007, 06:44 AM
Phred, I think it looks flat out fantastic! What a treat to see this old bird resurrected! Do you plan on flying it with a fresh egg payload at any time? If so, let me know how you intend to do it............I'm not knocked out with the idea of holding the payload section together with three straight pins when there's a fresh egg on board! Using the heavy card stock and covering with tissue is a good plan to give it the strength it will need. After all, at ejection, it's sorta like the thing has to catch an egg shot out of a slingshot.............I'm not sure that a rocket built to the original plan specs would be up to the task. I wonder if that has anything to do with this old bird becoming extinct??

Joe

Ltvscout
10-13-2007, 08:20 AM
Maybe it should be added to the list of ugly rockets that look kinda cute. I think Bill started it with his D.A.R.T. ;) Where are the plans for this bird?
Joe sent the plans to me and I have them being tweaked by Buzz. As soon as he's done tweaking them I'll put a link up for a direct download.

Arley Davis
10-13-2007, 09:34 AM
Yes it was me that wanted the plans of the Hen Grenade as will as the 4 Engine cluster Pulsar. So please send me the plans at arleydavis@cox.net and thank you. I was wondering if there was a fin pattern as will. As for the nose cone BMS can custom make one from Balsa? I would wait for Scott to post them but it has been over a year since any new plans have been posted.

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/spaceage/sai14.html

Phred
10-13-2007, 09:37 AM
This morning, I woke up early (before anyone could come up with something for me to do around the house! ;) ) and I tissued the airframe. Hopefully I will be able to get to the fins before the weekend is out.

I plan on flying the model sans payload first.... then... it will be yoke-time.

Believe it or not, the pins hold this payload section together pretty well. I plan on adding a few discs of open cell cushy foam to either end.... I am more worried about the top popping off at ejection then I am the pins not holding. If the pins become an issue, I guess I will substitute small nylon screws. That shoud do it.

Phred

mojo1986
10-14-2007, 08:22 AM
Phred, if you've used a heavy card stock for construction, smearing a layer of epoxy or yellow glue on the inside of the nose cone / payload bay assembly well to each side of the glue joints should give it the strength to handle the ejection. I really like your idea of the plastic screws...............and they will look a heck of a lot better than straight pins!

Joe

Phred
10-21-2007, 12:25 PM
Well, I finally finished color doping the Hen Greanade last night . My wife was in the shower this morning, so I printed out a set of decals an applied them.

Here you go:

Ph

Green Dragon
10-21-2007, 02:10 PM
nice looking bird, Phred. :)

is that entire finish doped tissue ?

looks real smooth / nice finish .

was the tissue colored to match or just color from the dope ? been a long time since I did any tissuing, but plan on using tissue on the Hustler fins.
tissue always seemd to 'fuzz up' for me, any tricks or just sand lightly and recoat ?

again, nice work on an unusual old bird, gonna be a bunch of those cropping up, methinks.

~ AL

Phred
10-21-2007, 02:44 PM
Yeah the whole model is covered with blue Esaki tissue, and then painted with two coats of clear dope. Esaki paper has a shiny side and a dull side. The shiny side is less fuzzy. After the two coats of dope, I gave the model a very light sand with 600 grit, then applied three coats of the blue dope. It is not as smooth as it looks!!

I just applied a VERY light coat of Future, and will let you know how it lookes when it dries.

Ph

mojo1986
10-21-2007, 03:27 PM
Phred, it looks real nice! Congratulations on being the first (at least, that I know of) to bring back this bird that some considered extinct. When you say you put on a coat of future, are you talking about the floor finish?

Joe

barone
10-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Well, I finally finished color doping the Hen Greanade last night . My wife was in the shower this morning, so I printed out a set of decals an applied them.

Here you go:

Ph
That is awesome! Great job. That finish looks great.

Phred
10-21-2007, 07:24 PM
Thanks Guys,

I couldn't have done it without your help Joe! (Or SEMROC's parts!!)

And yes, I am talking about the floor polish. I typically apply a coat of Future as a final step. It protects the decals, and give the entire model a high gloss finish. In this case, I applied a very light coat with a 1" disposable foam brush; just enough to seal the decals, as I want keep the semi gloss tissued/doped look.

Frankly, the tissue/dope finish was a tremendous PIA. I probably will not do it again unless I am cloning a particular historical model that was finished that way..... :rolleyes:

Ph

Vanel
10-21-2007, 08:18 PM
Looks great, Phred!

Phred
10-21-2007, 09:18 PM
Oh yeah... the 'ole Centuri Egg Crate is next... oooh, and a Scrambler clone too!!

Ph