PDA

View Full Version : Titan II balsa nose cone replacement?

zrs4
11-22-2007, 11:35 PM
Hi you guys--i hope you dont think this is a stupid question but is there anything like a balsa nose cone available anywhere to scratch build a Titan II like the old estes kit..

every time one comes up on ebay it ends up selling for 100 bucks and thats a little out of my price range

i can get the rest of the parts together but that part stops me--i wish i could mold some thruster nozzles too..

i have bought a gemini capsule from moldin oldies in the past, but this part doesnt seem to be available there and its temporarily out for a break.

Tim

Rocket Doctor
11-23-2007, 03:55 AM
Tim

You can check with Balsa Machining Service if you need balsa parts www.balsamachining.com

or, you can check with Semroc
www.semroc.com

You can PM me, I might have the parts that you need.

RD

pantherjon
11-23-2007, 08:32 AM
Or Sandman over at Roach Werks could turn one for you...

sandman
11-23-2007, 09:02 AM
I have done the Titan II nose cone before.

sandman
11-23-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm not sure what scale you want. I can change it to pretty but fit any body tube you want.

Does this look about right to you guys?

barone
11-23-2007, 01:39 PM
Actually Gordon, without doing the measurements, that actually looks better than the one in the Estes kit. I use to "babysit" Titan IIs and never really liked the way Estes had them looking.

zrs4
11-23-2007, 03:45 PM
yeah--that BT-60 size looks perfect!!

-i will PM you..

Thanks!

Tim

sandman
11-23-2007, 04:29 PM
Actually I never could find any data on the Estes Titan nose cone so...I just scaled it from some Titan II pics I found online. :D

I really don't know what the Estes cone looked like.

barone
11-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Actually I never could find any data on the Estes Titan nose cone so...I just scaled it from some Titan II pics I found online. :D

I really don't know what the Estes cone looked like.
I'll dig mine out and take a picture. Beleive me, It doesn't look like the real thing. Your scaled ones do.... :)

Rocket Doctor
11-23-2007, 10:55 PM
Kit #1918 Titan II nose cone

P/N 071018 PNC-60T (blow molded)

barone
11-23-2007, 11:21 PM
Page 16 of this link has a picture....

http://rocketshoppe.com/info/Nose_Cones.pdf

zrs4
11-24-2007, 09:38 PM
I sure appreciate the input on this you guys.

There just arent enough cold war rockets available

Unless we make them.

It would be interesting also to hear

About making thrusters.. I actually cut

Down some small plastic spinners and used

Some other items. I could find..but

Maybe I will eventually find something more professional looking.

Putting these together one piece at a time..

I eventually want to make an entire cold war

Series....

Tim

sandman
11-24-2007, 10:00 PM
I made a nose cone for it today.

Not very easy to do! :o

If you change one angle...another is off...kinda fiddly work.

But I think it came out OK.

My camera didn't want to focus that small.

dwmzmm
11-24-2007, 11:15 PM
The sandman can turn anything so long as you give him a good idea of what you're looking
for....

He did a superb job making a 1/100 scale LES motor tube/skirt for the Apollo spacecraft,
when I couldn't find the plastic one for my K-36 spacecraft I had for many, many years
(only had the Apollo spacecraft & LES tower).

Rocket Doctor
11-25-2007, 05:41 AM
I sure appreciate the input on this you guys.

There just arent enough cold war rockets available

Unless we make them.

It would be interesting also to hear

About making thrusters.. I actually cut

Down some small plastic spinners and used

Some other items. I could find..but

Maybe I will eventually find something more professional looking.

Putting these together one piece at a time..

I eventually want to make an entire cold war

Series....

Tim

Tim
Just a suggestion, why don't you look for plastic models, then, you could use the parts for your builds, or, you could do a plastic model conversion.
There is a seller in Texas called Squadron Mail Order who sells all types of plastic models, do a web search.

Good luck with your builds.
FYI I think one reason that you don't see a lot of military models is because of certain consumer back lash??
Good luck with your builds.
RD

zrs4
11-30-2007, 11:22 AM
you guys ar a gold mine of ideas..

so i ordered a 1/48 jupiter rocket to see what those parts look like, and i will search more for other larger scale models to get parts from..i should search squadron MO also like you said..

i also saw the nose cones sandman made and they look great..so im ordering some of those if possible..

i guess what we are doing for this is kit bashing--and scale scratch building--ive built many many scale electric planes so getting graphics is no trouble at all..

Tim

sandman
11-30-2007, 12:43 PM
you guys ar a gold mine of ideas..

so i ordered a 1/48 jupiter rocket to see what those parts look like, and i will search more for other larger scale models to get parts from..i should search squadron MO also like you said..

i also saw the nose cones sandman made and they look great..so im ordering some of those if possible..

i guess what we are doing for this is kit bashing--and scale scratch building--ive built many many scale electric planes so getting graphics is no trouble at all..

Tim

The problem with most of the cold war missiles is the lack of fins for stability in a flying model.

The Minuteman, no fins, the Polaris, no fins, the Juno, no fins the Atlas, no fins.

The Pershing has really small fins but I got it to fly. The Redstone is OK and I've made a cone for that (actually it is a lot like the Pershing cone.)

Just pretty inconciderate of those missile engineers to leave off the fins. :mad:

barone
11-30-2007, 05:30 PM
.....Just pretty inconciderate of those missile engineers to leave off the fins. :mad:
Yeah....who says gimbled nozzle guidance is so darn good anyway? Hey, can we do that? :rolleyes:

zrs4
12-01-2007, 11:55 AM
yeah, that is a fact!

Thebes. Nothing like a little challenge.

The more i look around the more I realize that this

Is not such a bad mission to be on.

I have a pretty good idea of where to get things.

That nose cone really was the biggest obstacle.

Ordering two today, one to fly and one to look at on display.

Will probably cast my own display nozzles. I've a
done a little work on that sort of thing before.

I have a source for vinyl graphics which is reasonable

And reliable. And there's no clear backing. They can be positioned using windex

To give more positioning time. And any color or image

Is possible.

T