PDA

View Full Version : Estes Re-release Saturn 1B ????

genimijim
01-15-2008, 05:44 PM
I was looking at an old thread from 2005 about a possible re-release of the Estes Saturn 1B.
I sent an inquiry Estes about the possible re-release of the Saturn 1B, Christine advised that it is under consideration, the time frame is unknown.
I don't know if it will be similar to the K-29 or 2048, I didn't think to ask.

I got a good start on the Semroc Saturn 1B, what a great kit, thanks Carl and everyone at Semroc. I'm hoping that Semroc will soon come out with a Saturn V.

On the build up fins on the Saturn 1B how does everyone keep from getting glue all over them? I guess I need smaller fingers.

genimijim (Jim)

tbzep
01-15-2008, 06:06 PM
I was looking at an old thread from 2005 about a possible re-release of the Estes Saturn 1B.
I sent an inquiry Estes about the possible re-release of the Saturn 1B, Christine advised that it is under consideration, the time frame is unknown.
I don't know if it will be similar to the K-29 or 2048, I didn't think to ask.

I got a good start on the Semroc Saturn 1B, what a great kit, thanks Carl and everyone at Semroc. I'm hoping that Semroc will soon come out with a Saturn V.

On the build up fins on the Saturn 1B how does everyone keep from getting glue all over them? I guess I need smaller fingers.

genimijim (Jim)

I wouldn't think that they would re-release the old K-29 since it is essentially the same as Semroc's version. The 2048 has been out of production a while and nobody is producing a 1/100 kit that I know of, so I'd imagine that would be the one they might consider. I hope so because maybe I could get them to sell me a couple of capsule/LES parts to rebuild my LES towers on both my old Centuri Saturns.

dwmzmm
01-15-2008, 06:33 PM
Estes had the 1/100 scale Saturn 1-B on display at the Maker's Faire at Austin , TX last
October (among nearly 100 other models)....

I tried to do some "arm-twisting" on John Boren about the 1-B kit and others, but can't
make any definite conclusions as to whether or not they're going to be re-released. I can
sure "use" a new 1/100 Saturn 1-B to replace my Centuri kit, which is still "active" since
1971 but needs to retire :rolleyes: .

barone
01-16-2008, 07:40 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Centuri-Apollo-Saturn-1B-VINTAGE-Rocket-Kit_W0QQitemZ260201597293QQihZ016QQcategoryZ2567QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rocket Doctor
01-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Estes had the 1/100 scale Saturn 1-B on display at the Maker's Faire at Austin , TX last
October (among nearly 100 other models)....

I tried to do some "arm-twisting" on John Boren about the 1-B kit and others, but can't
make any definite conclusions as to whether or not they're going to be re-released. I can
sure "use" a new 1/100 Saturn 1-B to replace my Centuri kit, which is still "active" since
1971 but needs to retire :rolleyes: .

I'm very surprised that Estes revealed anything ahead of time. When the Estes foru m was up and running, I couldn't say a word. I wanted to reveal the Red Max, but, was told NO, yet, it was put in the 2007 by mistake.

As far as the saturn 1 - B goes, here is some background info.
Saturn 1 - B
1229 Available 1967 - 1977 skill level 5
2048 Available 1991 - 1993 skill level 3 Retail 1993 $39.99

Only time will tell and it's only January.

dwmzmm
01-16-2008, 05:34 PM
I'm very surprised that Estes revealed anything ahead of time. When the Estes foru m was up and running, I couldn't say a word. I wanted to reveal the Red Max, but, was told NO, yet, it was put in the 2007 by mistake.

As far as the saturn 1 - B goes, here is some background info.
Saturn 1 - B
1229 Available 1967 - 1977 skill level 5
2048 Available 1991 - 1993 skill level 3 Retail 1993 $39.99

Only time will tell and it's only January.

Bear in mind that many of the models I saw on display at the Maker's Faire were those that
were found in some back room somewhere in/on the Estes property, and were dusted off and put out for show. I was told that several "favorites" would be considered for re-release
but was given no specifics (other than the RTF/E2X night launch rocket that was mentioned
elsewhere, either in this forum or another).

I would assume that if what Estes said about their Wal - Mart sales is true, then the company should have plenty of capital to work with as far as the prospects of releasing
new (or re-released) kits from the past.

Rocket Doctor
01-16-2008, 08:00 PM
That area is known as the prototype "graveyard". Prototypes and photo models
are kept there. I don't know why they would bring out old items, maybe to generate interest and see what customer think.

Rocketcrab
02-07-2008, 07:59 AM
I recall that there was speculation [fueled by Estes, I think] in February 2005 about a release of a 1/70-scale Saturn 1B. It was unknown if this was to be a re-release of the old kit in the "Classic" series or a whole new kit. It was a hot topic for a while but died out.

dwmzmm
02-07-2008, 08:52 PM
I recall that there was speculation [fueled by Estes, I think] in February 2005 about a release of a 1/70-scale Saturn 1B. It was unknown if this was to be a re-release of the old kit in the "Classic" series or a whole new kit. It was a hot topic for a while but died out.

Yes, SEMROC's kit came into the picture.

Rustee
02-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Well,this sounds exactly like what happened to my other favourite hobby,R/C cars. I've been into that as well since '77 or '78,and some of the old Tamiya stuff is worth ridiculous amounts if you could find a NIP kit or parts. So would you say it's great that more people can enjoy some cool old stuff or that it ruins it for those that have originals? For instance,a Tamiya Lunch Box may have been worth $300,now it's like $89. The purist knows these are not the same but you can see what I mean,it's not so much the money as the "cool factor". Now,the whole reason I got back into this in the first place was by doing a search for my old KC-6 Space Shuttle,and my $25 Semroc version should be here shortly! I find lots of OOP stuff and you can be sure I'm snapping those up too. All I know is,you never launch anything you can't afford to lose.