PDA

View Full Version : ElectronBeam 12V conversion and micro clip sorce

metalhead100
03-16-2008, 07:56 AM
As the title says.......I am going to convert a electron beam to 12V for D and E launches on my Big Daddy with 30 foot lead wires.

1. Remove bulb and use LED with proper resistor (this will prevent excess current flow during continuity check when key is inserted).

First check mah draw with stock setup (6 volts and bulb and ignitor)and adjust resistor and led to match or lower this value....It should be much lower as the current draw on a led is way less than a incandescent bulb anyhow.This will prevent ignitor heating as it passes current to LED after inserting safety key.

2. Install heavy gauge 30 foot lead wires and new micro clips purchased on ebay .(search for: Mueller Micro Alligator clip BU-34).http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZsocal-yardsale

3. Hook launcher to 7 amp 12 volt gel-cell for shure starts.

4. Run after rocket ......8o)

Jim

Solomoriah
03-16-2008, 04:57 PM
When I built my two controllers, I used LEDs; I got the basics from here:

http://members.misty.com/don/ledd.html

Estes ignitors require 2 amps to fire (from their own documentation, though I don't know how accurate that is). An LED will light just fine on less than 20 milliamps. I haven't had any problem with my controllers misfiring, so I must have done it right.

My controller build page is here:

http://rocketry.newcenturycomputers.net/launchcontroller.html

... if you are interested.

luke strawwalker
03-19-2008, 12:28 PM
They'll make GREAT controllers once you do those mods.... I modded mine over 20 years ago because I just HATED those dinky batteries and that sorry little flashlight bulb always losing contact inside the controller...

I have an Electron Beam launch controller and one of the old Estes Pola-Pulse controllers that I switched over. Those stupid polaroid batteries were nearly impossible to find even back then, and very expensive compared to regular batteries. I soldered lamp c ord to the battery contacts inside the case, tied a knot in it for stress relief, extended it out the battery slot (slotted the rear of the controller case on the EB) and put a pair of battery cable clamps on the ends to use car/lawnmower battery. I think I'm going to mod them again for a cigarette lighter plug, as I found a new car booster box (the nifty portable kind with the carrying handle, jumper cables, cigarette lighter plug socket, status lamps, flashlite, and master switch on it) and that sure would make a nice portable power supply.

I also soldered a resistor and LED together, and then soldered them to the bulb contacts inside the case to eliminate the continuity bulb. Be sure to get your polarity right, or get one of those LED's that glows green in one polarity and red in the other, so it can pass current both ways. All I had was plain green ones so I have to hook the controller up with the polarity right. When I switch to a cigarette lighter plug, once I establish the polarity it won't matter, but for battery cable clips it sure does! Of course you could always just install a second resistor/LED the opposite way, so one or the other will glow regardless of how it's hooked to the battery.

I also extended the leads out with lamp cord and installed a little stouter microclips onto the motor end of the rig. Works like a champ!

IMHO Estes should have made them that way from the factory... it's at least a 500% improvement over the stock controller, and not hard to do at all. Well worth the time and effort and it's SO much better not to have to worry about half-dead penlite batteries and bad connections, and not having to fiddle with your ignitor and cleaning clips for ten minutes only to find out the stupid bulb was loose in the socket and not making contact!!!

Have a good one and good luck! OL JR :)

metalhead100
03-19-2008, 07:26 PM
Yea i had enough of the light socket and wimpy AA launches.........i want it to fire WHEN i hit the button...not after i hold it a few seconds.

This mod will fix it .....this gel cell i have packs a punch and if its not enough enter my RC flight box HI amp lead acid motorcycle battery.that should fix it just fine..

Jim