PDA

View Full Version : Golden Scouts Galore

Leo
04-22-2008, 06:24 AM
This thread requested by the Rocket Doctor :)

Scouts are from the Rocket Doctor.

Scaled up Golden Scout:

Leo
04-22-2008, 06:26 AM
Scaled up Golden Scout
Golden Scout #0006

Leo
04-22-2008, 06:28 AM
Golden Scout #0006
Maiden flight Saturday April 19,2008
Estes 1/2A6-2
Perfect flight and recovery :)

Rocketflyer
04-22-2008, 06:40 AM
Golden Scout #0006
Maiden flight Saturday April 19,2008
Estes 1/2A6-2
Perfect flight and recovery :)

Beautiful. Great job on both, Leo. Thanks for the pics. :D

Jack

Leo
04-22-2008, 07:08 AM
Those are not my Scouts.

They are from the Rocket Doctor.

I just posted the pics for him.

Rocket Doctor
04-22-2008, 08:51 AM
These are my Golden Scout that i finally was able to finish off. I have a total of 8 scaled up Golden Scouts and four Semroc Golden Scouts and eight of my Golden Scout (from 2005).

I used up four cans of white and four cans of Gold paint in the process.
I will try to post the additional photos here.

RD

Rocket Doctor
04-22-2008, 01:16 PM
These are my Golden Scout that i finally was able to finish off. I have a total of 8 scaled up Golden Scouts and four Semroc Golden Scouts and eight of my Golden Scout (from 2005).

I used up four cans of white and four cans of Gold paint in the process.
I will try to post the additional photos here.

RD

I'm going to try and get more photos posted.

Leo
04-26-2008, 04:08 AM
Scaled up Golden Scout
"A Touch of Gold"

Rocket Doctor
04-26-2008, 08:27 AM
Scaled up Golden Scout
"A Touch of Gold"

I want to thank Leo for posting my pictures of my scaled up Golden Scouts.

I have a total of 8 scaled up Golden Scouts, four Golden scouts, 8 2005 prototype Golden Scouts, 1 original Spaceman and 3 scaled up Spacemen.

RD

cas2047
04-26-2008, 08:29 AM
I want to thank Leo for posting my pictures of my scaled up Golden Scouts.

I have a total of 8 scaled up Golden Scouts, four Golden scouts, 8 2005 prototype Golden Scouts, 1 original Spaceman and 3 scaled up Spacemen.

RD

Very cool! You've got your own fleet of Golden Scouts. :)

STRMan
04-26-2008, 08:37 AM
Hey Doc, if I build my Golden Scout and paper the fins instead of just using sanding sealer, am I cheating?

dwmzmm
04-26-2008, 09:43 AM
What is the "scaled up" size in relation to the standard size? And parts list?

Rocket Doctor
04-26-2008, 10:10 AM
Very cool! You've got your own fleet of Golden Scouts. :)

I guess you can call this my personal Gold Rush............My dream in 2005................and brought to reality by Semroc in 2008.

Thanks to Vern and Gleda !!

Mark II
04-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Wow, those look great! Real nice paint jobs on all. I hope that mine comes out looking anywhere near that good. A couple of years ago, I got inspired by seeing the plans online for the Maxi Streak and came up with a tentative parts list and plan for a Maxi Scout, but you beat me to it. My version was going to be based on a BT-80 and would use parachute recovery. It would have real vent holes but they would be non-functional, and it would use a dowel to simulate the motor hook. Now I think that I will finally go ahead and build it this year and paint it gold. :D

Mark

Rocket Doctor
04-27-2008, 09:50 PM
Wow, those look great! Real nice paint jobs on all. I hope that mine comes out looking anywhere near that good. A couple of years ago, I got inspired by seeing the plans online for the Maxi Streak and came up with a tentative parts list and plan for a Maxi Scout, but you beat me to it. My version was going to be based on a BT-80 and would use parachute recovery. It would have real vent holes but they would be non-functional, and it would use a dowel to simulate the motor hook. Now I think that I will finally go ahead and build it this year and paint it gold. :D

Mark

My scaled up Golden Scouts are based upon a BT-70, 10 inches long, the nose cones were provided by Semroc. The fins are made out of 2 inch wide by 1/2 thick balsa. The engine hook was made form brass piano wire.

The "BIG" Socuts are functional, they have a parchute recovery and use 24mm motors. I was thinking about putting round black decals on the top to simulate the exhaust holes.

I had special decals made up by Phred from Excelsionr Rocketry, and, will be adding them soon.

I plan on launching one at NARAM 50, and, I will be donating one for the auction as well.

I have other plan for some of the others as well, after NARAM 50 , I will post what happened with those others.

I would strongly suggest using the Rust-Oleum Metallic Gold spray paint, it's shines much better than Krylon.

Rocket Doctor
04-27-2008, 09:56 PM
Hey Doc, if I build my Golden Scout and paper the fins instead of just using sanding sealer, am I cheating?

You can finish off the Godlen scout anyway you choose, but, please paint it GOLD, at least one and fly an official flight in July.

Rocket Doctor
04-27-2008, 10:03 PM
What is the "scaled up" size in relation to the standard size? And parts list?

My scaled up version is based upon a BT-70 which is 10 inches long. The nose cones were supplied by Semroc, and the fins are 2 inch by 1 /2 inch balsa, I had to experiment with the size of the fins though, The first one I built , the fins were much too short and it looked "stubby"

The motor mount is for a 24mm motor, and has an 18 inch parachute, the engine hook is a piece of brass piano wire,I think I used 3/32 inch, just grabbed ahandful at the local hobby shop, it looked shiney , so I bourght it.

I used the elmers wood filler (the new, in the tub stuff) using two coats, sanding inbetween, a coat of white spray primer, and then a coat of gloss white and two final coats of Rust-Oleum Metallic Gold, it's much better than the Krylon, it's very shiny.

I had Phred from excelsior rocketry print up some "special" decals commemorating Vern and Gleda.

All I have to do is apply the decals.

Also, I debating as to is I want to simulate the exhaust holes, I was thinking aobut aplying round (maybe 1 inch) black circles, don't know yet.

I will be flying one at NARAM 50, and, I will be donating one for the auctions there as well.

I have plan for a couple of the others that I have. Eight in total.

jflis
04-28-2008, 07:19 AM
Would you be interested in launching your upscale Scout on a 3:1 up scale Port-a-Pad??

I could bring my pad down with me to NARAM :) Beleive me, an upscale Scout looks great on it.

Check out these pictures from way back when:

http://jflis.com/hobbies/rocketry/photos/collection.jpg
http://jflis.com/hobbies/rocketry/photos/scout01.jpg

Also, note in that first picture (from Pearl River), the simulated vent holes at the top of the tube, as you were thinking of doing (you should, by the way :) )

On my upscale scout (still have it too), I actually have a "dummy engine" in it. When the ejection charge goes off, the dummy engine actually kicks back, is captured by the hook and *then* pops the nose cone.

This picture: http://jflis.com/hobbies/rocketry/photos/13-mar-01/jim_astrocam.jpg
gives you a view of the dummy engine.

The launch pad has a plywood hub with balsawood (1/4") legs. It uses a 1/2" launch rod (I am assuming you put a scale launch lug on this thing... :) ) but can also accomodate a 3/16". The blast deflector is made from hardboard and has a spent motor casing in the center to hold it on the rod.

Let me know :)
jim

Rocket Doctor
04-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Would you be interested in launching your upscale Scout on a 3:1 up scale Port-a-Pad??

I could bring my pad down with me to NARAM :) Beleive me, an upscale Scout looks great on it.

Check out these pictures from way back when:

http://jflis.com/hobbies/rocketry/photos/collection.jpg
http://jflis.com/hobbies/rocketry/photos/scout01.jpg

Also, note in that first picture (from Pearl River), the simulated vent holes at the top of the tube, as you were thinking of doing (you should, by the way :) )

On my upscale scout (still have it too), I actually have a "dummy engine" in it. When the ejection charge goes off, the dummy engine actually kicks back, is captured by the hook and *then* pops the nose cone.

This picture: http://jflis.com/hobbies/rocketry/photos/13-mar-01/jim_astrocam.jpg
gives you a view of the dummy engine.

The launch pad has a plywood hub with balsawood (1/4") legs. It uses a 1/2" launch rod (I am assuming you put a scale launch lug on this thing... :) ) but can also accomodate a 3/16". The blast deflector is made from hardboard and has a spent motor casing in the center to hold it on the rod.

Let me know :)
jim

Jim
Sure, we can use your pad, my scaled up Scout has a 3/16" launch lug.
See you at NARAM 50.
Thanks
Ken

Very impressive photos Jim....

Rocket Doctor
04-28-2008, 09:10 PM
Rouguepink, go to the start of this thread and check out the GOLD, remember the GOLD dance back in OCT 2006?

jflis
04-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Jim
Sure, we can use your pad, my scaled up Scout has a 3/16" launch lug.
See you at NARAM 50.
Thanks
Ken

Very impressive photos Jim....

Sounds good! I'll get her all cleaned up too :) If I can locate my 3:1 Scout I'll bring her along too.

See you there!
jim

Rocket Doctor
04-28-2008, 09:55 PM
Sounds good! I'll get her all cleaned up too :) If I can locate my 3:1 Scout I'll bring her along too.

See you there!
jim Jim

We can get together with Carl, Sheryl and Bruce. They will be laucnhing thier Golden Scouts, and , I will be launching my small GS, which I laucned a week ago and the scaled up ones. Should be fun.

See you there.
Ken

jflis
04-29-2008, 07:24 AM
Jim

We can get together with Carl, Sheryl and Bruce. They will be laucnhing thier Golden Scouts, and , I will be launching my small GS, which I laucned a week ago and the scaled up ones. Should be fun.

See you there.
Ken

Yep, we'll most likely be set up right along side Carl and clan :) See you then.
jim