PDA

View Full Version : Name my rocket

STRMan
04-30-2008, 04:45 PM
I Scratch built the rocket below. Rather than come up with one for myself, I figured I'd put it out here and on TRF for suggestions on what to name it. It is 18" long, with a ring fin offset by dowels and a trio of fins. It has streamer recovery. Any ideas before it's maiden flight?

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k65/STRMan/DSC00670-1.jpg

STRMan
04-30-2008, 08:42 PM
You're really letting me down here. I told my daughter that so far nobody has given me any suggestions for my rocket, and she said "How about Lame Boy?" Is that the best suggestion I'm going to get? :(

Vanel
04-30-2008, 09:17 PM
Let's see - it's big on the bottom, has Air Force decals... Calls for something martial.

How about... Astarte, after the Semitic goddess of war? Or maybe Brigantia, after the old war goddess of Britain?

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-30-2008, 09:34 PM
Malpigian Tubule.

Tom Swift
04-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Hmmm. Air Force markings... If all else fails you can always give it an "experimental" -type name.

X-08, X-51, X-99, etc. Some number that is significant to you.

Sorry, got 'nuthin else at the moment. :(

James Pierson
04-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Nice Design but definetly needs a good name. Looks like a probe of some kind to
me so how about , Tri-Force Probe (Zelda) :D , or Dark Matter Probe,
or just The Trans-Ponder. :rolleyes:

Good luck with the test flight ;) , JP.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

Skippy
05-01-2008, 12:06 AM
You're really letting me down here. I told my daughter that so far nobody has given me any suggestions for my rocket, and she said "How about Lame Boy?" Is that the best suggestion I'm going to get? :(

Your reply should have been; "'Lame Boy' sounds quite fine, 'No Allowance Girl'..."! :D

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-01-2008, 12:30 AM
Alfalfa Centuri

CPMcGraw
05-01-2008, 12:44 AM
If you're into names from Greek Mythology...

Argestes, the North-west wind, is the wind that blew the ship of the Argonauts from Assyria to the land of the Amazons...

Zephyrus, the West wind...

Eurus, the East wind...

Boreas, the North wind...

Notus, the South wind...

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-01-2008, 12:46 AM
If you're into names from Greek Mythology...

Argestes, the North-west wind, is the wind that blew the ship of the Argonauts from Assyria to the land of the Amazons...

Zephyrus, the West wind...

Eurus, the East wind...

Boreas, the North wind...

Notus, the South wind...

You forgot FLATTUS, the broken wind. :eek:

CPMcGraw
05-01-2008, 12:48 AM
You forgot FLATTUS, the broken wind. :eek:

Only if it's just passing through...:D

Rocketflyer
05-01-2008, 06:42 AM
I Scratch built the rocket below. Rather than come up with one for myself, I figured I'd put it out here and on TRF for suggestions on what to name it. It is 18" long, with a ring fin offset by dowels and a trio of fins. It has streamer recovery. Any ideas before it's maiden flight?

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k65/STRMan/DSC00670-1.jpg

How about 'Solarius Venture'? You could use the zodiac sigh your daughter is under, ie, Arc Taurus, Arc Pisces.... Or go for a constellation, Sagitairus Venture .

K.M.Knox
05-01-2008, 08:14 AM
I'm leaning towards Spud-1.

Mikus
05-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Your reply should have been; "'Lame Boy' sounds quite fine, 'No Allowance Girl'..."! :D

Sweet....

I'm guessing calling it Kato would be a bad idea? Probably want to avoid Icarus as well.

STRMan
05-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm going to mill them over tonight and make a decision by tomorrow.

Mark II
05-01-2008, 06:48 PM
It has Air Force markings, yet it doesn't look like a weapon. Maybe a research rocket?

This is from the petcaretips.net web page (http://petcaretips.net/mythology-bird.html) on birds in mythology:

"Hippogriff

A winged horse with the head and claws of an eagle. The head,
wings and front legs of a griffin, and the back legs of a horse.
An elusive creature that can fly long distances at high
altitudes. From the Riphaean mountains. Also called Simoorgh or
Simurgh or Senmurv - the Persian version, sometimes featured as a
cross between a dog or lion and a huge bird."

(I added underlining to the third sentence to emphasize it.)

Hope this helps.

Mark

STRMan
05-04-2008, 12:03 AM
I can't thank everyone enough for all of the great suggestions. After milling it over, I've taken one suggestion I got at YORF and one I got from TRF and I think I've come up with the right name for this rocket.

Vindicator DMP (Dark Matter Probe)

I hope to use a few of these other suggestions for future birds I plan on building. Thanks again everyone!

I hope to launch this one some time late this week or over the next weekend. Pictures will be posted.