PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a Saturn V

Paul
06-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Greetings--I'm building an Estes Saturn V #2157 30th Anniversary Edition. All was going well until I got to step 11--cutting and fitting the four engine fairings. I just can't seem to get it (I've only cut out one) to fit properly against the wrap. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!
Paul

Rocket Doctor
06-13-2008, 02:24 PM
I would suggest checking with Dave (DWMZMM) He has built a few of them .

sandman
06-13-2008, 03:53 PM
This site is a big help when building the Estes Saturn V.

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/saturn_v.faq.html

dwmzmm
06-13-2008, 04:39 PM
I would suggest checking with Dave (DWMZMM) He has built a few of them .

Thanks, Rocket Doctor, but I haven't built the # 2157 edition kit; only the Estes K-36
vintage Saturn - V and the original Centuri 1/100 scale Saturn - V. Not sure what the
differences/similarities are between those and the # 2157 kit. Each had their challenges &
issues, but that's what makes it fun to build them.

cas2047
06-14-2008, 09:08 AM
Paul have you checked this review on EMRR: http://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/oop/est_saturn_v.shtml

There's some talk about that particular step. The builder says that even after you have it right you will still need to do some filling around gaps. Also take a look at Step 11 and the answers under the Q/A section.

I've been trying to get my hands on one of these kits for a long time and finally scored one on ebay the other day for $72 including shipping on a buy it now sale. They seem to be going for over $100 so I think I got a good deal. I'm not sure if it will enter the build pile any time soon though.

I built the 2001 version and used the fin/shroud components from Moldin Oldies. I believe they closed down shop and transferred business to a vendor, I just can't remember which one. I may decide to use those components on the 30th anniversary kit if I find out they fit.

Good luck with your build!

foose4string
06-14-2008, 11:45 AM
I built the 2001 version and used the fin/shroud components from Moldin Oldies. I believe they closed down shop and transferred business to a vendor, I just can't remember which one.

IIRC, I believe it was Dave Miller @ Sirius Rocketry who took it over, although I don't know if that stuff is available yet.

cas2047
06-14-2008, 12:08 PM
IIRC, I believe it was Dave Miller @ Sirius Rocketry who took it over, although I don't know if that stuff is available yet.

Thanks!

Now that I have the new Sat V I am leaning towards use the resign components once I do build the rocket. I'll check in with Dave at Sirius to see if they are available.

foose4string
06-14-2008, 12:35 PM
Let us know what you find out. I'll be interested in getting those resin parts too. I've thought about ways to reinforce that styrene, and still might try it, but the resin parts just seem a whole lot easier and more durable. Of course it will need more motor, but then it always did.

cas2047
06-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Let us know what you find out. I'll be interested in getting those resin parts too. I've thought about ways to reinforce that styrene, and still might try it, but the resin parts just seem a whole lot easier and more durable. Of course it will need more motor, but then it always did.

I emailed them and will post when I hear from them.

Re more motor I agree 100 percent. I built my 2001 version with a tripple 24mm setup and that works great. However when I do the newer version I'm considering sticking with the stock 24mm single mount and using Aerotech E/F reloads.

cas2047
06-27-2008, 07:51 AM
I heard back from Sirius Rocketry this past Wednesday regarding the Moldin Oldies resign parts being available via their site. Here's what David from Sirius said:

I anticipate the Saturn Parts and some of the other items items being available in about three to six weeks. The original molds had quite deteriorated, and I am in the process of pouring brand new molds this week.
The will be on the website when they are ready. I appreciate your patience.
End Quote

It looks like things are moving along.

moonzero2
06-27-2008, 12:23 PM
Greetings,

I'm building an Estes 30th Anniversity Saturn V modified with a 5 engine cluster. A central 24mm and 4x 18mm out boards. I'm waiting for the Moldin' Oldies Saturn parts, especially the fairings.

Does anyone have any experience in using these Moldin' Oldies Saturn V fairings? Are they worth using over the kit's fairings? And how should they be attached? Epoxy?

Thanks.

sandman
06-27-2008, 03:20 PM
Greetings,

I'm building an Estes 30th Anniversity Saturn V modified with a 5 engine cluster. A central 24mm and 4x 18mm out boards. I'm waiting for the Moldin' Oldies Saturn parts, especially the fairings.

Does anyone have any experience in using these Moldin' Oldies Saturn V fairings? Are they worth using over the kit's fairings? And how should they be attached? Epoxy?

Thanks.

I just looked through my "stuff" and man, do I have a lot of "stuff". :o

I found a set of the cast fairings. No, I don't remember where I got them but whoever wants them PM me...first come first served...I won't be needing them for a while so I'll send them to you for free (maybe a token amount for shipping.)

The final cost will be a replacement set from Dave when Sirius gets his ready.

Such a deal! ;)

cas2047
06-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Greetings,

Thanks.

I used them on mine and found them to be much more sturdy than the originals. Of course I had no choice because the kit I built had been started when I got it and the previous builder completely ruined the originals. I used 6 minute epoxy to secure them if I remember correctly.

The cast pieces are heavier than the original kit components so you need to figure that in when you are working out the CG. Of course if you are doing a cluster you will need to re-work the CG anyway.

In my opinion all landings with this rocket present the possibility of damaging something simply due to the intricate finish, size of the model, and the number of small parts glued all over it. I don't think I would have had great luck with a couple of my landings if I had used the original component pieces. The cast fairings and fins take a beating without giving an inch.

moonzero2
06-27-2008, 10:52 PM
I just looked through my "stuff" and man, do I have a lot of "stuff". :o

I found a set of the cast fairings. No, I don't remember where I got them but whoever wants them PM me...first come first served...I won't be needing them for a while so I'll send them to you for free (maybe a token amount for shipping.)

The final cost will be a replacement set from Dave when Sirius gets his ready.

Such a deal! ;)
PM sent.

moonzero2
06-27-2008, 11:18 PM
I used them on mine and found them to be much more sturdy than the originals. Of course I had no choice because the kit I built had been started when I got it and the previous builder completely ruined the originals. I used 6 minute epoxy to secure them if I remember correctly.

The cast pieces are heavier than the original kit components so you need to figure that in when you are working out the CG. Of course if you are doing a cluster you will need to re-work the CG anyway.

In my opinion all landings with this rocket present the possibility of damaging something simply due to the intricate finish, size of the model, and the number of small parts glued all over it. I don't think I would have had great luck with a couple of my landings if I had used the original component pieces. The cast fairings and fins take a beating without giving an inch.
Thanks, that's good enough for me. I'm going with the cast fairings.

sandman
06-28-2008, 07:57 AM
Thanks, that's good enough for me. I'm going with the cast fairings.

OK, they're yours!

Just replace them when Sirius has them.

moonzero2
06-28-2008, 12:26 PM
OK, they're yours!

Just replace them when Sirius has them.
Thanks Sandman, you're a life saver.
PM and $ sent.
And I'll cover you when Sirius has his available.
You are a very kind and trusting Man!
THANK-YOU!!!!!