View Full Version : airbrush

estes$$$
07-16-2008, 10:15 AM
does any body use an airbrush to paint cheaper rockets

if you do how do you do it

lessgravity
07-16-2008, 10:26 AM
What do you mean by cheaper rockets?
I use an airbrush quite frequently for LPR rockets. I really like Createx paints. I also finish my rockets with a 3-1 Future/Simple Green formula that is applied with an airbrush.

You can find many airbrushing tutorials on the web for help with airbrushing techniques.

estes$$$
07-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Sorry by cheap i meant like the estes stromcaster type thing

"I also finish my rockets with a 3-1 Future/Simple Green formula that is applied with an airbrush."

What is this where can i find it? is it a clear coat

lessgravity
07-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Read my How to Finish a Rocket (http://rocketry.wordpress.com/rocketry-building-tips/how-to-finish-a-rocket/) . Of course this is my approach and there are many different approaches and opinions. At the bottom of the page is info on the Future/Simple Green formula

estes$$$
07-16-2008, 01:53 PM
i want to paint my rockets with your meathod but in were do you paint the rocket

befor the wood filler or after or after the KILZ or is the KILZ the paint or just the clear coat

lessgravity
07-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Kilz is a primer. You need to prime your rocket to prepare it for painting. There are many types of primers available.
So the order I use is:
Fill/Seal the rocket - I use Fill-n-finish
sand - repeat
Prime the rocket
sand-repeat
Paint the rocket
Clear Coat to protect finish

estes$$$
07-16-2008, 02:06 PM
so i will use some Createx airbrush paint

then the clear coat is the Future/Simple Green formula

is this correct

lessgravity
07-16-2008, 02:40 PM
so i will use some Createx airbrush paint

then the clear coat is the Future/Simple Green formula

is this correct

Yes correct

ghrocketman
07-17-2008, 01:27 PM
I paint rockets quite often with my Badger Airbrush using vintage Aero Gloss dope paints.