PDA

View Full Version : Blast Deflector Wanted

tbzep
09-02-2008, 08:56 PM
I need a used Centuri blast deflector and stand-off spring. A new one would also be nice if reasonably priced.

Part no. ID-65
Product no. 5806

This is the angled deflector that was used for the Centuri Powr Pad, Servo Pad, and the early Centuri Power Tower, which was Centuri's version of the Estes Porta-Pad.

Green Dragon
09-02-2008, 09:26 PM
I definately do not have a new one, but if you give me some time to hunt, I know I have a used one ( along with some of the old estes/ Model Missiles ones ) , but they;re MIA in a box, lol, oops.

~ AL

kurtschachner
09-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Are these them, or possibly just the deflector?

I have some other springs too.

Solomoriah
09-02-2008, 10:58 PM
Man, I miss those springs! Clips work okay, but the springs were just cool.

I have one of those deflectors, but I won't part with it. I just wish I still had the rod and spring.

tbzep
09-03-2008, 07:34 AM
Are these them, or possibly just the deflector?

I have some other springs too.

Yes, those appear to be the deflector and springs. :cool:

Green Dragon
09-03-2008, 05:34 PM
I know I have apile of those springs someplace, look to be the right ones.

If anyone wants a few, send a PM with mailing address, will share with fellow YORF members :)

~ AL

kurtschachner
09-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Hey, *I* was going to send him one of the springs for free! Way to go :rolleyes:

Why don't you send him the blast deflector instead, I only have one of those.

I know I have apile of those springs someplace, look to be the right ones.

If anyone wants a few, send a PM with mailing address, will share with fellow YORF members :)

~ AL

kurtschachner
09-03-2008, 07:15 PM
On those springs, the ones in my photo are the Estes verson. They are very similar to the Centuri springs but not exactly the same. I have one Centuri spring, if Green Dragon can't find his springs, is an Estes one OK?

tbzep
09-04-2008, 07:31 AM
I'll take what I can get. :)

Peartree
09-05-2008, 06:21 PM
I've never seen these. Do any of you have a sketch (or a link to one) or a picture that would show me what I'm missing?

kurtschachner
09-05-2008, 06:33 PM
I'll take what I can get. :)

PM me with your name and address, and I'll send you a couple of springs.

barone
09-05-2008, 09:53 PM
I've never seen these. Do any of you have a sketch (or a link to one) or a picture that would show me what I'm missing?
Take a look at post 3 of this thread........ :D

Peartree
09-06-2008, 06:16 AM
Take a look at post 3 of this thread........ :D

Actually, that's what prompted the question. I'm just trying to picture what it looks like in use and I'm not seeing how the springs are used or what is so special about them. No particular reason beyond my natural curiosity.

Solomoriah
09-06-2008, 07:27 AM
Take a look here:

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/nostalgia/79cen040.html

The Power Tower illustration shows the spring installed. It was intended to support a rocket up off of the blast deflector, generally by one of the little "handles" under the sustainer tube or a fin. To adjust the height, you just push the two "handles" together (a lot like opening an old-fashioned coin purse) which loosens the spring, then slide it where you want it. When you let go of the handles it becomes tight on the rod again.

Doug Sams
09-06-2008, 07:48 AM
It was intended to support a rocket up off of the blast deflector, generally by one of the little "handles" under the sustainer tube or a fin. To adjust the height, you just push the two "handles" together (a lot like opening an old-fashioned coin purse) which loosens the spring, then slide it where you want it. When you let go of the handles it becomes tight on the rod again.That bit of text perfectly describes what I use :D Doug

http://home.flash.net/~samily/stuff/clothespin2p.jpg

Solomoriah
09-06-2008, 07:52 AM
Gah. :rolleyes:

The advantage of the Centuri-type spring is that it's hard to lose.

I use metal clips myself, purchased at the dollar store for a buck for three. I have both narrow jaw clips and wide; the wide I often use to hold the leads up at the corner of the blast deflector, so the weight of the leads doesn't pull the igniter out of the engine. This is on my four-way stand, which is higher so more of the controller's leads are suspended.

Ltvscout
09-06-2008, 10:27 AM
That bit of text perfectly describes what I use :D.
Hahahahahaha. :D

Bob Thomas
09-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Pretty sure this is it - but now I can't remember if it was from Servo Launcher or Powr Pad. Maybe others can verify. Also have a black one somewhere, but its likely buried in one of a dozen boxes. Kinda wanted to save that for a tripod launcher under construction, but I'll search if necessary.

I had 2 Powr Pads and one Servo launcher which I remember was Grey plastic. One of the Powr Pad launchers was black and the other was Yellow if I recall correctly. As you can imagine, the deflectors and launch rods were never with their original launcher, except by chance of what I took out of the box, hence my foggy memory of where it belonged.

tbzep
09-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Pretty sure this is it - but now I can't remember if it was from Servo Launcher or Powr Pad. Maybe others can verify.

I believe the Powr Pad and Servo Launcher used identical deflectors.

Solomoriah
09-07-2008, 03:55 PM
That appears to have been the "standard" deflector for some years. I didn't know they painted them, though. Mine was naked.

tbzep
09-07-2008, 04:49 PM
That appears to have been the "standard" deflector for some years. I didn't know they painted them, though. Mine was naked.

The one on my Powr Pad is naked, except for the rust. ;)

LeeR
09-09-2008, 10:16 PM
That bit of text perfectly describes what I use :D Doug

http://home.flash.net/~samily/stuff/clothespin2p.jpg

Those are awesome, and look familiar. I think my mom had some, but she was never into model rocketry as much as me. Tell us where you get them!