PDA

View Full Version : Explorer Aquarius rocket Estes #2016

Tuck
09-25-2008, 10:37 AM
I recently purchased an Explorer Aquarius rocket and am currently in the process of building. Attaching the fins to the main body tube is on Step #6 in the instructions. This step is missing a vital piece of information. It does not specify the distance to place the fins from the rear edge of the main body tube. The illustration just simply shows placing the fins on the tube along the alignment lines. From the illustration, it looks like the distance might be around 1/2" to 1" from the rear edge of the body tube but I would certainly like to know the exact distance. I have e-mailed Estes but ( of course ) no response. I hope someone can help me out. I have been to a few other websites that have the plans for this rocket but they contain what I already have...no new info on this matter. Thanks

Tuck

Tuck
09-25-2008, 12:40 PM
Well, surprise, surprise, surprise !!! I ( Tuck ) just received a reply from Estes and the distance the fins should be from the rear edge of the main body tube is 5/8".....

Ltvscout
09-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Well, surprise, surprise, surprise !!! I ( Tuck ) just received a reply from Estes and the distance the fins should be from the rear edge of the main body tube is 5/8".....
Thank you for sharing that info with us, Tuck.

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-25-2008, 02:41 PM

No kidding? I'm amazed that they acknowledge the existence of a non-current kit. I'm in the middle of this build also, so this info will come in handy. :cool:

Leo
09-26-2008, 05:46 AM
Well, I must admit I have to question the length given by Estes. I'd bet they have a built kit somewhere and just roughly measured the length.

Usually Estes have "clean" lengths like 1", 1/2" or 3/4".

I would wager that in this case the actual length would be 1/2" :)

@Tuck: Thanks for the guest book entry :)

Tuck
09-26-2008, 08:26 AM
I ( Tuck ) went to the Estes website ( Contact Us page ) and filled out the information and they replied in less than 2 days. The answer given was 5/8" from the rear edge.

Tuck
09-26-2008, 09:06 AM
Leo makes a good point. Most of the mesurements on Estes rockets are multiples of 1/4" but there are certainly instances of interesting distances like 1-1/8" and 9/16". My "Starship Vega" and "Super Vega" for example have their fins placed 7/8" and 1-3/8" from the rear edge of their main body tubes, respectively.....Tuck

eaperron2000
09-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Can anybody give me the dimensions of the external tubes? I have the nose cone and wanted to build a replica, but can't translate the body tube sizes from the JimZ instructions.....Eric

DaveR
09-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Can anybody give me the dimensions of the external tubes? I have the nose cone and wanted to build a replica, but can't translate the body tube sizes from the JimZ instructions.....Eric
You need 6 - BT-20B (8.65") and 12 - BT-20DJ (4.0") for the external tubes.

Check out and download these links:
http://rocketshoppe.com/info/Estes_Body_Tube_List_3.1.pdf
http://rocketshoppe.com/info/Estes_Nose_Cone_Reference_10.1.pdf
http://rocketshoppe.com/info/Nose_Cones.pdf

All priceless sources of info, IMO.

scott_mills
06-05-2020, 10:08 AM
What is the fin size? root edge height, grain edge length ?? The pic at Jimz has no reference just 3 rectangles.

BARGeezer
06-05-2020, 02:59 PM
I recently purchased an Explorer Aquarius rocket and am currently in the process of building. Attaching the fins to the main body tube is on Step #6 in the instructions. This step is missing a vital piece of information. It does not specify the distance to place the fins from the rear edge of the main body tube. The illustration just simply shows placing the fins on the tube along the alignment lines. From the illustration, it looks like the distance might be around 1/2" to 1" from the rear edge of the body tube but I would certainly like to know the exact distance. I have e-mailed Estes but ( of course ) no response. I hope someone can help me out. I have been to a few other websites that have the plans for this rocket but they contain what I already have...no new info on this matter. Thanks

Tuck
FWIW the instructions for the newly re-issued Explorer Aquarius (#7253) show the trailing edge of the fins at 3/4" from the end of the tube.
https://estesrockets.com/wp-content/uploads/Instructions/007253_EXPLORER_AQUARIUS.pdf

scott_mills
06-06-2020, 12:07 AM
But what is there size?

jeffyjeep
06-07-2020, 07:07 PM
I just got back from NC. I slit open a #7253 because I'll be building one this summer. The fins measure 3.375" x 2.675" x 3/32" thick. The grain goes longwise. Here's a scan of the (2) sheets with a 1" reference.

BARGeezer
06-07-2020, 07:59 PM
I just got back from NC. I slit open a #7253 because I'll be building one this summer. The fins measure 3.375" x 2.675" x 3/32" thick. The grain goes longwise. Here's a scan of the (2) sheets with a 1" reference.
Just out of curiosity, I printed the old fin templates at JimZ's at normal (100%) size.
They were 3 3/8 (3.375) inches by 2 11/16 (2.6875) inches.
Difference of .0125".
That's less than 1/64 of an inch.
Shoot, now I'll have to make another clone! :chuckle:

BTW thanks for the updated scan Jeffy!

jeffyjeep
06-07-2020, 08:09 PM
You’re welcome. Your measurements are probably more correct than mine, but you’re right-it’s a very small difference. I don’t remember if the original #2016 included the balsa alignment cradle or not. I would have to open one of my vintage kits to see—but I won’t. The alignment cradle sure helps with all those stinkin’ tubes!

scott_mills
06-08-2020, 12:08 AM
Thank you very much for the answer to my question, I will now go and finish my clone.