PDA

View Full Version : Doing the Semroc Stomp

Gus
10-01-2008, 03:19 PM
Apparently someone at USPS is quite angry with Semroc for the incredible speed with which they send items. ;)

My latest Semroc package arrived today with the clear impression of a bootprint aimed squarely at the return address. The level of box damage was quite impressive, even by USPS standards, being enough to warrant a "We're Sorry" sticker.

Fortunately the usual magnificent Semroc packaging allowed both Orbital Transports and one of the Nighthawks to come through unscathed. The other Nighthawk tube got a little squished, but the rest of the kit is fine.

But if I use the tubes I ordered to build an Orion as intended, I may have to rename it the Flat-O-iron. :rolleyes:

Sheryl, I know that your usual customer service response would be to quickly send out replacement parts before even being asked. But in this case please hold off. I forgot to order a few other things so, after I talk to the post office tomorrow to see what they'll cover, I'll get in touch with you. No sense in wasting the postage since those post office guys would just put the money in the jukebox so they can dance some more Semroc Stomp. :D

By the way, the Orbital Transport kits look fantastic.

Steve

Carl@Semroc
10-01-2008, 03:38 PM
I like that "WERE"RE SORRY that your article was damaged during processing" sticker. That means it happens enough to design a special sticker to avoid writing it so many times.

I also want to stay clear of their "processor." It must really hurt if you get too close while it is "processing." :D

We just missed the mail today.

foose4string
10-01-2008, 03:49 PM
No "processing" errors to my box today. It arrived safe and sound. Alas, no OT in my box, but I'm going to remedy that one of these days. Just a Nighthawk and 2-ST20's w/ coupler to fix up my Estes Mercury Redstone. Just another one of those projects I've been putting off for a while. Oh yeah, and the BNC50C as well.

ghrocketman
10-01-2008, 03:52 PM
I have heard of "Giving it the Boot" or "Ride the Boot" before, but that is downright ridiculous.
Somebody at USPS obviously needs a "Boot to the Head" !

UMRS
10-01-2008, 05:14 PM
OUCH

Apparently someone at USPS is quite angry with Semroc for the incredible speed with which they send items. ;)

My latest Semroc package arrived today with the clear impression of a bootprint aimed squarely at the return address. The level of box damage was quite impressive, even by USPS standards, being enough to warrant a "We're Sorry" sticker.

Fortunately the usual magnificent Semroc packaging allowed both Orbital Transports and one of the Nighthawks to come through unscathed. The other Nighthawk tube got a little squished, but the rest of the kit is fine.

But if I use the tubes I ordered to build an Orion as intended, I may have to rename it the Flat-O-iron. :rolleyes:

Sheryl, I know that your usual customer service response would be to quickly send out replacement parts before even being asked. But in this case please hold off. I forgot to order a few other things so, after I talk to the post office tomorrow to see what they'll cover, I'll get in touch with you. No sense in wasting the postage since those post office guys would just put the money in the jukebox so they can dance some more Semroc Stomp. :D

By the way, the Orbital Transport kits look fantastic.

Steve

tbzep
10-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Now that you mention it, my Semroc box arrived a week or two back with a lot of crush damage (but the contents were fine). I'm mad cause I didn't get a sticker! :mad:

Eagle3
10-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Carl can attest that he's sent quite a few boxes to the 48158 zip code. :D Only two have arrived by what I thought must have been by way of Afghanistan and a war zone. Miraculously none of the items inside were damaged at all. I wish my issues of Sport Rocketry were so lucky. :(

sandman
10-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Carl can attest that he's sent quite a few boxes to the 48158 zip code. :D Only two have arrived by what I thought must have been by way of Afghanistan and a war zone. Miraculously none of the items inside were damaged at all. I wish my issues of Sport Rocketry were so lucky. :(

I just hope and pray my wife never sees the link that says "account"!

That d**n thing shows your account all the way back to the beginning! :o

Scarry! :eek:

Zeus-cat
10-06-2008, 10:20 PM
When I was in high school I worked at a small drug store in a small town with a good buddy of mine. My buddy's dad owned the drug store. The two of us stocked shelves, delivered prescriptions and ran packages to the post office. We saw enough packages damaged in the mail that one day my buddy wrote the following notes on several packages before he mailed them: "Throw underhand only" and "Fragile: dropkick gently".

His dad got a phone call from the post office the day after we mailed them.

Gingerdawg
10-07-2008, 03:50 PM
I like that "WERE"RE SORRY that your article was damaged during processing" sticker. That means it happens enough to design a special sticker to avoid writing it so many times.

And the sticker backhandedly admits that stomping the box is just part of the "process"

Congratulations, Gus, you now are the proud owner of a one-of-a-kind Semroc/USPS stomp rocket

Domminigan
10-07-2008, 03:50 PM
I worked at UPS for some time and saw many a package that went out in iffy condition, while the worst ones ended up getting claims filed on them, and never made it out of the building. The worst of the worst were nearly always due to our machinery getting a little hungry.

Doug Sams
10-07-2008, 04:37 PM
His dad got a phone call from the post office the day after we mailed them.I like your sense of humor. But I really am surprised someone at the post office even noticed, and even more surprised they called!

What was his dad's reaction? Did he find it funny? Or did he call you two on the carpet?

Doug

Zeus-cat
10-07-2008, 07:43 PM
I like your sense of humor. But I really am surprised someone at the post office even noticed, and even more surprised they called!

What was his dad's reaction? Did he find it funny? Or did he call you two on the carpet?

Doug

It was a small town and the Postmaster knew my buddy's dad. Actually, the Postmaster's son was a friend of ours and we were all in the same class in a small high school.

Trust me, the post office noticed the comments and they were not the least bit amused. I had nothing to do with the prank so nothing happened to me. My buddy got a lecture from his dad, but it was obvious the old man found the whole thing pretty funny. It was pretty much 'that was funny the first time, but don't do it again'.

Domminigan
10-10-2008, 12:14 PM
From some of my time at UPS:

http://photos-h.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v363/230/70/589461538/n589461538_1846335_1894.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v363/230/70/589461538/n589461538_1846336_2521.jpg