PDA

View Full Version : Model Rockets and the Economy

Rocket Doctor
11-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Has the current state of the economy hindered your model rocket purchases?
What are you plans on future purchases?

If you planned on multiple purchases, have you made a "wish list" of the ones you want the most?

At least the price of gas has gone down significantly now, here in South carolina, you get get a gallon of gas for $1.79, a month ago, it was selling for $3.99.

sandman
11-16-2008, 04:21 PM
I've noticed a marked drop off in custom part orders.

MKP
11-16-2008, 06:23 PM
I don't have much money whether the economy is good or bad, so no.

luke strawwalker
11-16-2008, 06:30 PM
I'm planning on making another multi-kit purchase from a vendor on here fairly soon, having just completed a four kit purchase...

The main thing that keeps me from buying more is the prices... MAN are they ever high compared to a few years ago! (excluding the vendor previously mentioned, who's kits I feel are priced quite reasonably) I nearly faint when I see the kit prices in HL and LHS's.

Even the parts are high... (well most anyway)

Still, I know everybody's got to make a buck and pay the rent...

I live on a 'space program budget' and it's definitely "pay as you go" like NASA is supposed to be now... that's the agreement between me and the missus anyway... LOL:) OL JR :)

dwmzmm
11-16-2008, 07:26 PM
We can be grateful (at least here in our area) that the prices of the engines at Wal-Mart(s)
are incredibly cheap nowadays. It does free up funds for more kit purchases. At least, I do
plan on buying some of the new releases Estes suppose to have in 2009, as well as some
"must have" kits from various vendors in the near future. Plus, I still have plenty of vintage
kits ("still in-the-bag") in my collection that should/will be built in the future. So, I have more than enough pending projects to keep me busy for years to come..... :rolleyes:

CPMcGraw
11-16-2008, 08:40 PM
I don't buy kits as much as I once did, so the occasional kit purchase has not been hindered. It has been a while since my last parts purchase, though I cannot say the economy has caused that directly. My purchases of motors increased when WM had the ones I needed, and with their $3 a pack price. Now, my local WMs are again inundated with C6-3s and -5s, and not an A or B to be found... :(

stefanj
11-16-2008, 09:46 PM
I have a HUGE backlog of unbuilt kits. I've been giving them away (or selling them cheap) to co-workers to encourage them to get into the hobby.

I have been buying other hobby and craft things to give as Christmas gifts.

Royatl
11-16-2008, 10:38 PM
I have more rocket kits than I know what to do with. I'll probably give some away at the SoAR Holiday Party next week.

I also have parts enough so that if I had no kits, I'd still be able to build rockets for a long time.

Carl@Semroc
11-16-2008, 10:41 PM
I have more rocket kits than I know what to do with.Tell me about it. We do too!

scigs30
11-16-2008, 11:14 PM
I have not slowed down. Just bought 2 older Estes V-2 K22 kits , and 1 Semroc V-2. Also bought an Estes Hornet, Estes Arrow and 2 Super Big Bertha kits. Also I placed an order for one each of every new Estes kit that will hopefully come out next year. No slowing down here. :chuckle:

Niteowl
11-17-2008, 12:45 AM
We took adirect hit in the bank account that I would not classify as a result of the currrent economy. My wife's job was out-sourced to another plant in the state for reasons of "convenience" a month ago. The unemployment checks put us at about two thirds of our previous income.

However, things have slowed down enough that third shift is shut down as of tonight. About 50 people joined my wife, hopefully temporarily. So now I'm a bit spooked about spending money on discretionary items. Fortunately I'm set for the next year with kits and supplies for both me and my son. I'd like to get the Estes Optima and Photon Disruptor if/when they get released. I'll have to wait and see. Even though the kits aren't relatively expensive, the kids get new shoes first.

Speaking of discretionary spending (in a big way.....), as of last Thursday I've got a Bushmaster M4 on hold and may have to pass on it. Could buy a lot of shoes with that money. :(

A Fish Named Wallyum
11-17-2008, 02:18 AM
Well, replacing our roof from the damage we suffered in the Ohio Valley Hurricane is going to be about $7k more than the insurance company "estimated". If that holds as is, it will be a LONG time before I can buy much of anything. :mad:

JRThro
11-17-2008, 08:17 AM
Well, replacing our roof from the damage we suffered in the Ohio Valley Hurricane is going to be about $7k more than the insurance company "estimated". If that holds as is, it will be a LONG time before I can buy much of anything. :mad:
Wow! I still need to get estimates on our roof from actual roofing companies. I think I'm putting it off to avoid the hassle (which is a behavior that never works very well, but I continue to do it anyway). Of course, meanwhile my house has a roof with temporary repairs.

tbzep
11-17-2008, 08:37 AM

So they didn't take into account that everybody's roof was damaged and all the roofing companies would jack their prices up, along with the lumber yards jacking the price of roofing materials? Insurance companies would never do anything so dastardly! :rolleyes:

Yeah, it happened here after some really bad hail storms right after we built our house. When I built it, they roofed it for about $40 a square, plus materials. That was October. The first big hail storm was in December of the same year (yes, a hail storm in Dec.). Roofers immediately jumped up to $100 a square, and shingles doubled in price all around the region. :mad: Luckily, I have a good insurance company and they gave us what it would cost to replace right then. :cool:

cas2047
11-17-2008, 08:41 AM
I've slowed down on kit collecting which was mostly done via ebay purchases. That's partly due to the economy but mostly because I have a good number of the kits I wanted to collect, not all mind you but a good number.

I haven't slowed down on vendor purchases yet. I'd like to keep purchasing through this down turn if possible, especially from the small mom and pop vendors.

Doug Sams
11-17-2008, 08:47 AM
So they didn't take into account that everybody's roof was damaged and all the roofing companies would jack their prices up, along with the lumber yards jacking the price of roofing materials? Insurance companies would never do anything so dastardly! :rolleyes: That's exctly what I was thinking. I guess the insurance company assumes the storm/tornado strikes in pin-point fashion damaging only one roof while missing everything else in a 10 mile radius :)

Doug

tbzep
11-17-2008, 08:51 AM
I just popped off a couple of big-to-me purchases from Semroc and Tower Hobbies. Most of it was building supplies for scratch builds and clones and motors that are not stocked at the "local" HL with its famous 40% coupon (C11-3's and B6-0's), but I did get a few kits from Carl too.

Oh, and wouldn't you know that I ran out of BT-20 for motor mounts right after I placed the Semroc order. I forgot to check the small tube stash. :rolleyes:

ghrocketman
11-17-2008, 09:25 AM
Thankfully I have REPLACEMENT COST insurance on my home structure and the interior contents, in the event any natural disaster strikes my dwelling. They basically have to handle whatever the real cost is to fix/replace. It is WELL worth the small additional cost.

pestatp
11-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Luckily, the economy hasn't really hurt my purchases too bad. So hopefully it won't. Maybe it will be fixed before I start to notice.

stefanj
11-17-2008, 12:46 PM
I read through the last two issues of the NAR magazine (I can't keep track of the title) yesterday, and now I'm thinking lustful thoughts about certain Semroc kits.

(Hey, they didn't come out sounding too good.)

Carl@Semroc
11-17-2008, 01:27 PM
I read through the last two issues of the NAR magazine (I can't keep track of the title) yesterday, and now I'm thinking lustful thoughts about certain Semroc kits.

(Hey, they didn't come out sounding too good.)As long as you keep in your heart like Jimma.

lurker01
11-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Has the current state of the economy hindered your model rocket purchases?
What are you plans on future purchases?

If you planned on multiple purchases, have you made a "wish list" of the ones you want the most?

At least the price of gas has gone down significantly now, here in South carolina, you get get a gallon of gas for $1.79, a month ago, it was selling for $3.99.

Rocket Doctor,

I have been reading and listening to a lot of sources and spending is not a great idea at the moment. The 'experts' are saying we have yet to see the REAL bottom. There is going to be a HUGE sell off of over inflated assests mid 2009. Unemployment should hit high double digits.; around 17 - 18%. In the 1930s, 1 out of 4 were out of work, but if you had a job, it really wasn't that bad.

Glen Beck is stating that he has heard things (off the record) from friends that are in these financial meetings, that the economy is bust. Instead of the powers that be letting everything goto heck over night, they are just slowly 'peeling the onion'. It is or isn't if we are in a recession... instead its more like are or are we not in a DEPRESSION. When the stock market falls 400 points, then finishes 500 points up (900 differential), its not the mom and pops or day traders making that happen ... its the Federal Government and Financial Institutions who are trying their best to keep a dead horse propped up ... expect a major and critical resetting (crash) of the markets sometime 2nd quarter of next year. One quick note, when the markets crashed in 1929, it took 10 years and a World War to get America back on track. During this time, the markets would recover , then crash, recover a little, then crash, recover a bit then crash ...

Hank Paulson has 2 trillion dollars in loans that he has given out without disclosing where the money went; this is independant of the 700 billion bailout that is morphing almost weekly. Congress has requested records from Hank, and he has refused... wasn't it Thomas Jefferson who warned us about the Federal Reserve being its own independant entity? Oh well, those who forget their history deserve the grief and blight it brings.

The dollar is reported to be worthless, but because of the dependency of foreign nations on the 'green back', it is artificially being propped up by international money movers and the Federal Reserve. Hyper inflation and high employment should be strongly with us by this time next year.

If you have good credit, a job, and positive cash flow, you will be in position to pick up some very nice deals in 2009. Cash will be king, so start saving now! Credit isn't going to be had, so if you are expecting your credit to see you through this economic reset, you are going to be on the losing end of things.

So is my rockety buying affected? Yes, if I take the Ant's posture as in Esope's Fable, 'The Grasshopper and the Ant', I will be making MANY rocketry and space collectible related purchases in 2009. I just have to save my money and wait for the expected 'other shoe' to drop. Next on the list to fall are credit card and insurance companies. After the first of this year, expect to see news articles about how bankruptcy fillings will be at record levels. People wait until after they have spent for Christmas presents and vactions, then goto bankruptcy court to have it all washed away. Visa and MC are having a record year, but that is only because so many Americans are now living off their credit cards.

Believe me when I say I wish I were wrong, but I don't think so. I honestly don't think so. America has lived on the 'borrow-spend' model for far too long... now comes the kaboom that we have been warned about for over a decade.

The United States Federal Government, and that means you the guy or gal reading this posting because you are the one who ultimately pays the bill, is in debt over 12 TRILLION DOLLARS and counting ... there are not enough of us to pay for it all , we all owe, every man, woman, and child in the United States of America (This includes the child who was just born this evening that the old man who is on life support and will be dead by dawn) over $40,000.00 and climbing. Isn't it a great feeling to know that your new born son or daughter owes over $40,000.00 and they can only ask for a diaper change or formula bottle? Then they won't be able to vote any changes for themselves for another 21 years ... wow, talk about starting off life screwed!

http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

They show the dept at only 10.6 triillion, but I added the 2 trillion that Hank wont show us.

I am no longer concerned about this nation as I have dual citizenship in another country far far far away and potentially more stable should we see riots return to our streets like in the 1992 riots that took place in cities all across our nation. Oh that reminds me, did anyone hear about the U.S. Troops that are being trained to quash domestic rioting and looting ... better serve up some links if I am going to mention that one:

http://www.breakthematrix.com/BreakTheMatrix/U-S-Troops-In-Homeland-Crowd-Control-Patrols-From-October-1st

http://www.jonesreport.com/article/09_08/24troops_homeland.html

I know I know you didn't hear it on CNN so it can't possibly be true. You didn't hear it on ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, so it can't possibly be true ...

Oh well, I guess we should be thankful that we have our health :)

Bob

chanstevens
11-17-2008, 08:40 PM
I'm not sure I'd blame this on the economy, but over the past few years I've spent a good chunk of change buying lots of LPR/MPR kits that caught my fancy, basically "subscribing" to pick up every Semroc, Flis, and a few others. I also get some sporadic income from moonlighting gigs and bonuses, and tend to splurge on special higher-end kits (ex. Sheri's, Sirius Saturn, etc.). I'd also emulate our government by going "off budget" for things like NARAM-related expenses, which tended to be funded by increased credit card debt.

Shortly before the meltdown, between my wife's "it won't cost anything" summer remodeling that spun off from painting to include drapes, carpeting, new molding, etc. and my hobby-related expenses, we decided to cut back a good bit and trim down the debt. Within a couple short months, it seems the market reacted to this drop in consumer spending and wiped out about half my retirement funds.

I think when the dust settles, I'll see be buying LPR kits in big numbers, but will wind up dropping the ones that don't really inspire me much (like Estes). I also think I won't be buying much of anything on "splurge" mode for a few years (well, maybe a Roachwerks from Santa).

It also looks like my retirement age just got pushed out about 5 years, so the huge buliding frenzy and restocking that Bruce McLawhorn (Semroc Jr.) was looking forward to is going to have to wait awhile...

Peartree
11-18-2008, 06:48 AM
I'm not certain that I completely subscribe to the worst doom and gloom scenarios but if you listen to Glenn Beck he usually has his ducks in a row and has solid data to back up his (sometimes wild) theories and so far he has been dead-on accurate. Even if you don't believe the worst-case scenarios, it would pay everyone to remember that this little adventure has only just begun. The banking sector is always just the beginning and all the government action is an attempt to reduce (for one cannot eliminate) the ripples that will flow outward from there. As banking suffers, credit tightens. As credit tightens, companies cannot borrow and must save money somewhere else and we are now beginning to see that (VISA announced layoff of like 50,000 and many others are making similar announcements). As more people get laid off, they stop spending money (duh) but everyone they know and everyone who watches the news gets nervous that they might be next and they reduce spending (and pay off debt or increase savings - a good idea by the way). As spending decreases, retail and other businesses sell less and therefore manufacturing produces less reducing their need for, yes you guesses it, labor. With less need for labor, the whole cycle starts again.

The thing that worries me, is that Chan was right, after the last major crash in the 20's it took more than ten years and the spending from a world war to pull us out of it. The difference is that in the 30's the US had almost zero debt and could spend like crazy but now we are so far into debt that foreign nations are demanding that the US buy insurance on our debt - something that has NEVER happened before. We are essentially a bad risk. In the 1930's the US had a nation full of manufacturing that could produce real, tangible goods that people need even when times are hard. Now, much of that manufacturing has moved overseas. If we come even remotely close to the worst-case, this could well last for a lot more than ten years.

I pray that it won't get that bad, but I have told my church people that it would be prudent to stock up on things that you would use in any case. Top off your fuel-oil and Propane tanks if you can afford it. Stock up on canned good and staples. If the predictions are all wrong you'll just have a years worth of Spaghettio's and kidney beans in the basement. If they're even remotely right, having a years worth of food in the basement might just save your life (or maybe your neighbor's).

Like the 20's, if you have cash you may well stand to profit by buying when the markets are down. I'm praying that there is not hyperinflation (a loaf of bread of $20, then $200, etc.). If hyperinflation hits, then even cash will not insulate you because cash will be essentially worthless.

To answer the question though, I've spent most of my rocketry budget but I have cash and I am still buying as my budget allows. We are cutting back in other areas and since I have a good stockpile of rocketry related stuff, that might well be next.

Remember,regardless of where we end up, things will certainly get worse before they get better.

Hold on tight.

Pray hard.

Rocket Doctor
11-18-2008, 11:36 AM
Thanksgiving day is on the horizon, I hope that everyone has a good holiday. We can all give THANKS for what we have, and hopefully, things will turn around quickly.

God Bless everyone on this forum................

stefanj
11-18-2008, 10:16 PM
Don't just give hope and thanks . . . HELP OUT!

As coupons and sales allow, pick up some extra cans and boxes of food and donate them to your local food bank.

I'm running the food drive at work again this year. Last year we brought in 1,240 lbs. of food.

And then there's the toy drive. I don't recommend putting flying model rockets in the Toys for Tots barrel, but models in general, and craft sets, and anything creative, could help both make Christmas brighter for a kid and keep the hands-on-play tradition going.

barone
11-19-2008, 07:36 AM

As coupons and sales allow, pick up some extra cans and boxes of food and donate them to your local food bank.

I'm running the food drive at work again this year. Last year we brought in 1,240 lbs. of food.

And then there's the toy drive. I don't recommend putting flying model rockets in the Toys for Tots barrel, but models in general, and craft sets, and anything creative, could help both make Christmas brighter for a kid and keep the hands-on-play tradition going.
And, if the model needs something for assembly, like glue, provide that as well :rolleyes:

Rocket Doctor
11-19-2008, 11:48 AM

I have been providing model rockets to those less fortunate on a regular basis, not, just during these hard times.

I have also donate rocket material to disabled children as well.

Santa won't be as generous this year, that's a fact, so, we can all help out.

Peartree
11-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Our church has traditionally "adopted" a family at Christmas and bought gifts for them but the last couple years the folks (whose names we got from children's services) haven't seemed to be all that needy. Given that and the current economic situation we decided to use what we would have spent and spend it instead on baby food/diapers/toy/etc. and give it to the local food pantry.

motley16
11-25-2008, 07:59 PM
the financial state is how you are doing. if you have a job it is good if you dont it is not so good. rockets are a great way to have fun for a low price. the value for the cost is hard to beat. i am in and can justify a few rockets from time to time. :rolleyes:

stefanj
11-25-2008, 11:58 PM
I'm a little bummed.

The company food drive brought in about 475 lbs of food. Just a bit more than a third of last year.

This is a high-tech company in a stable industry. We're all, you know, working. Hiring even.

I'm going to have to threaten dutch rubs and indian burns to get up donations to the upcoming toy drive.