PDA

View Full Version : The Great Kahn Has Died

CPMcGraw
01-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Ricardo Montalban has died at age 88. One news report is here. (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aPbN0_ikRnf4&refer=us)

For us rocketry types, while the rest of the world remembers him as Mr. Roarke from Fantasy Island, he will forever be remembered as Khan Noonian Singh, from ST-TOS and STII:TWOK.

Ltvscout
01-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Ricardo Montalban has died at age 88. One news report is here. (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aPbN0_ikRnf4&refer=us)

For us rocketry types, while the rest of the world remembers him as Mr. Roarke from Fantasy Island, he will forever be remembered as Khan Noonian Singh, from ST-TOS and STII:TWOK.
I remember him from the Chrysler ads with the "rich Corinthian leather." :D

WillMarchant
01-14-2009, 06:06 PM
And Patrick McGoohan (of The Prisoner) passed away yesterday. :(

tbzep
01-14-2009, 06:12 PM
R.I.P. He played Kahn well.

As a kid, I always wondered why he never had a date on Fantasy Island. http://smilies.vidahost.com/otn/confused/ne_nau.gif

Ok...I was in Jr. High when it started, so I probably had a idea. :rolleyes:

dwmzmm
01-14-2009, 06:14 PM
Kahn was one of my favorite villian in Star Trek...RIP

Mark II
01-14-2009, 07:59 PM
Actually, I thought it was "rich Corinthian lather..."

I am sad to hear of his passing. He was a great character actor. Even though he had leading man looks, probably his best performances were as the villains. I truly admired his performance as Khan.

Mark \\.

cas2047
01-14-2009, 08:01 PM

RIP Ricardo.

I remember him well as Khan. Whenever I hear his name or when someone mentions Fantasy Island, I can see Tattoo running up to ring the bell saying "the plane the plane".

sandman
01-14-2009, 10:22 PM
He alway struck me as a guy with a lot of class.

As for his Kahn character and the movie "The Rath of Kahn". I got to tell you what I observed.

I got a new dvd/tape player combination unit. I have "The Rath of Kahn" with Recardo Montalban on tape and a DVD of the 1956 movie "Moby Dick" with Gregory Peck.

I can play them simultaiously and switch back and forth between the two movies.

Who knew Herman Melville wrote the dialog for the Star Trek movie! :rolleyes:

If you get the chance check them out. Kahn's speeches about Kirk are exactly the same as Ahabs speeches about the white whale.

mperdue
01-14-2009, 10:44 PM
He alway struck me as a guy with a lot of class.

As for his Kahn character and the movie "The Rath of Kahn". I got to tell you what I observed.

I got a new dvd/tape player combination unit. I have "The Rath of Kahn" with Recardo Montalban on tape and a DVD of the 1956 movie "Moby Dick" with Gregory Peck.

I can play them simultaiously and switch back and forth between the two movies.

Who knew Herman Melville wrote the dialog for the Star Trek movie! :rolleyes:

If you get the chance check them out. Kahn's speeches about Kirk are exactly the same as Ahabs speeches about the white whale.
You had to watch them side-by-side to figure that out? :)

Mario

Nuke Rocketeer
01-15-2009, 06:59 AM
I remember him from the Chrysler ads with the "rich Corinthian leather." :D

...and smooth as a baby's bottom......

gpoehlein
01-15-2009, 07:02 AM

Ah yes - John Drake / Number 6!

For those of us boomers who loved the old Disneyland live action episodes, he was also the Scarecrow of Romney Marsh - Arguably one of the earliest "costumed superheroes" ;)

Wonderful actors both.

Greg

kurtschachner
01-15-2009, 08:18 AM
He was also married for 63 years, until his wife died in 2007.

I had seen this several places, where he described the five stages of his (or any actor's) career:

1. Who is Ricardo Montalban?
2. Get me Ricardo Montalban.
3. Get me a Ricardo Montalban type.
4. Get me a young Ricardo Montalban.
5. Who is Ricardo Montalban?

In Shatner's book about the Star Trek movies, Shatner said that due to another commitment Montalban had to film many of his scenes early, against a blue screen and with a young female stagehand reading Kirk's lines. So all that dramatic stuff where his ship is destroyed was done basically alone.

lurker01
01-15-2009, 08:40 AM

Kahn Noonien Singh will be missed...

Kirk... my old friend.

James T. Kirk: [to Bones] Physician, heal thyself.
Leonard McCoy: Is that all you've got to say? What about my performance?
James T. Kirk: I'm not a drama critic.

James T. Kirk: A no-win situation is the possibility every commander may face. Has that never occurred to you?
Saavik: No, sir, it has not.
James T. Kirk: How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life, wouldn't you say?
Saavik: [Irritated] As I indicated, Admiral, that thought had not occurred to me.
James T. Kirk: [Amused] Well, now you have something new to think about. Carry on.

James T. Kirk: [to Spock] Aren't you dead?

[Kirk reads from 'A Tale of Two Cities']
James T. Kirk: "It was the best of times; it was the worst of times."

Carol Marcus: There can't be so much as a microbe, or the show's off.

Khan Noonien Singh: I never forget a face. Mister... Chekov. Isn't it? I never thought to see your face again.

Khan Noonien Singh: Never told you how Admiral Kirk sent seventy of us into exile on this...barren sand heap with only the contents of these cargo bays to sustain us?
Chekov: You lie! On Ceti Alpha V there was life! A fair chance!
Khan Noonien Singh: [shouts] THIS is Ceti Alpha V!! [calmer] Ceti Alpha VI exploded six months after we were left here. The shock shifted the orbit of this planet, and everything was laid waste. Admiral Kirk never bothered to check on our progress. It was only the fact of my genetically engineered intellect that allowed us to survive. On Earth, three hundred years ago, I was a prince with power over millions.
Chekov: [disgusted] Captain Kirk was your host. You repaid his hospitality by trying to steal his ship and murder him!

[Khan, about to put Ceti Eels in Terrell and Chekov's ears]
Khan Noonien Singh: You see, their young enter through the ears and wrap themselves around the cerebral cortex. This has the effect of rendering the victim extremely susceptible to suggestion. Later as they grow follows madness and death.
Chekov: Khan, listen to me...
Khan Noonien Singh: These are pets, of course. Not quite domesticated.

Khan Noonien Singh: That's better. Now, tell me, why are you here? And tell me where I may find James Kirk.

[in Vulcan]
Saavik: He's never what I expect, sir.
Spock: What surprises you, Lieutenant?
Saavik: He's so-- human.
Spock: Nobody's perfect, Saavik.

Spock: You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
James T. Kirk: You're about to remind me that logic alone dictates your actions?
Spock: I would not remind you of that which you know so well. If I may be so bold, it was a mistake for you to accept promotion. Commanding a starship is your first, best, destiny. Anything else is a waste of material.
James T. Kirk: I would not presume to debate you.
Spock: That is wise. In any case, were I to invoke logic, logic dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
James T. Kirk: Or the one.
Spock: You're my superior officer. You are also my friend. I have been, and always shall be yours.

James T. Kirk: Galloping around the cosmos is a game for the young, Doctor

Leonard McCoy: Dear Lord, do you think we're intelligent enough to — suppose — what if this thing were used where life already exists?
Spock: It would destroy such life in favor of its new matrix.
Leonard McCoy: Its new matrix? Do you have any idea what you're saying?
Spock: I was not attempting to evaluate its moral implications, Doctor. As a matter of cosmic history, it has always been easier to destroy than to create.
Leonard McCoy: Not anymore. Now we can do both at the same time! According to myth, the earth was created in six days. Now watch out! Here comes Genesis. We'll do it for you in six minutes!
Spock: Really, Dr. McCoy. You must learn to govern your passions. They will be your undoing. Logic suggests—
Leonard McCoy: Logic? My God, the man's talking about logic! We're talking about universal Armageddon. You green-blooded, inhuman—

Saavik: Sir, may I quote general order 12? "On approach of any vessel when communications have not been established--"
Spock: Lieutenant, the Admiral is well aware of the regulations.
Saavik: Aye, sir.

[Khan quotes a French proverb]
Khan Noonien Singh: Ah, Kirk, my old friend. Do you know the Klingon proverb that tells us revenge is a dish that is best served cold? [pause] It is very cold in space.

Saavik: I don't understand...
James T. Kirk: You must know why things work on a Starship...
Spock: Each ship is programmed with its own prefix code...
James T. Kirk: To prevent an enemy from doing what we are attempting... using our console to order Reliant to lower her shields.
Spock: Assuming he hasn't changed the combination. He's quite intelligent.
Khan Noonien Singh: 15 seconds, Admiral.
James T. Kirk: Khan, how do we know you'll keep your word?
Khan Noonien Singh: Oh, I've given you no word to keep, Admiral. In my judgement, you simply have no alternative.
James T. Kirk: I see your point. Standby to receive our transmission. [sotto voice] Mr. Sulu, lock phasers on target and await my command.
Hikaru Sulu: Phasers locked.
Khan Noonien Singh: Time's up, Admiral.
James T. Kirk: Here it comes, Khan. [To Spock] Now, Mr. Spock.

sandman
01-15-2009, 09:13 AM
You had to watch them side-by-side to figure that out? :)

Mario

Only because I could. ;)

luke strawwalker
01-15-2009, 09:31 AM

I really liked his performance as the evil art counterfeiter Roger Devereaux in the late 70's train movie "Silver Streak" opposite Gene Wilder, Richard Pryor, Ned Beatty, and the VERY hot Jill Clayburgh. Very cool flick... :)

I've seen him in several movies and he was a terrific actor... he'll be missed.

Such a shame about Ricardo Montalban-- he was one of the greats... He was excellent in everything I've ever seen him in, from Escape from the Planet of the Apes to Fantasy Island to The Wrath of Khan, and his Trek Original Series role as Khan... to name a few of my faves...

He could deliver a line flaming hot, ice cold, deadly murderous, or deceivingly charming, be almost over the top, yet still make you believe it... The way he made that line in TWOK, "I've done far worse than kill you... I've HURT you! And I want go on.... HURTING YOU... "

The man sure could deliver the goods...

Rest in Peace, Ricardo and Patrick... you will be missed.

motley16
01-15-2009, 10:34 AM
He will always be known for corinthian leather or as it was vinyl. :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

JoeLaunchman
01-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Corinthian leather debunked:

Corinthian leather is a marketing term that does not actually indicate any particular type of leather. Montalbán confirmed this during an interview with David Letterman, admitting that Corinthian leather means "nothing." According to one reference Chrysler's "Corinthian" leather was mass produced in a plant in Newark, New Jersey.

rraeford
01-15-2009, 02:06 PM
I remember that Letterman interview. Basically, Mr Montalbon, the agency creative director and his agent got together and he read a list of names to see what sounded best. Rich Corinthian Leather is what they came up with.

It's really no different than any other branded product like say, Formica, Coca-Cola or Kraft paper tubing. The main goal of that whole marketing campaign was to make Chrysler's products seem less pedestrian and more exotic and it worked...for a while.

DeanHFox
01-15-2009, 06:03 PM
I'll miss these two gents, as well. I just saw "Silver Streak" again the other day, and ooooo! Patrick was SUCH a good baddie! :)

I know it's probably not a film many on the board have seen, but Ricardo M. did an excellent job as the grandfather of the kids in "Spy Kids 3: Game Over". His portrayal of a wheelchair-bound (but mentally fit and adept!) spymaster was inspiring. Check it out sometime! :)

Peartree
01-15-2009, 06:21 PM
I'll miss these two gents, as well. I just saw "Silver Streak" again the other day, and ooooo! Patrick was SUCH a good baddie! :)

I know it's probably not a film many on the board have seen, but Ricardo M. did an excellent job as the grandfather of the kids in "Spy Kids 3: Game Over". His portrayal of a wheelchair-bound (but mentally fit and adept!) spymaster was inspiring. Check it out sometime! :)

Got kids. Seen it.

Now I'll have to go back and watch it again.