PDA

View Full Version : Question

Greg N
01-17-2009, 10:31 PM
OK Gentlemen,

I have my 6 years olds B day coming up. Want to have a "rocket Themed' party. In 30 to 45 minutes they will build the rocket (With assistance) Field will be small, just something for the kids to get the experience.

What "Bulk Kit" would you recommend? I can do as much Pre Assembly as needed. Just need like 30 to 45 minutes of assembly time.

Thank you for all the help!

Pics will follow

tbzep
01-17-2009, 10:40 PM
OK Gentlemen,

I have my 6 years olds B day coming up. Want to have a "rocket Themed' party. In 30 to 45 minutes they will build the rocket (With assistance) Field will be small, just something for the kids to get the experience.

What "Bulk Kit" would you recommend? I can do as much Pre Assembly as needed. Just need like 30 to 45 minutes of assembly time.

Thank you for all the help!

Pics will follow

In my experience, kids like parachute recovered kits better than streamer, so maybe the old standard Alpha would fit the bill. They run about $62 for 12 at AC Supply. It's about as cheap as I've seen any BT-50 sized chute recovered bulk kits. Kits with plastic fins run up around $100 for a bulk pack. :eek:

Edit: Quest's Astra III has plastic fins and their bulk 12 pack is $84. Not sure if it's a fin can like the Alpha III or if they are glued into slots.

Greg N
01-17-2009, 11:08 PM
Good Advise. I was actually thinking the Old Alpha or Apogee had a plastic fin model that would work.

mORE SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREAT.

Thank you to all

dwmzmm
01-17-2009, 11:43 PM
Back in the summer of 2007 I was asked to assist in a model rocketry launch of a young
boy having his birthday. First, there was a scientific demonstration by Mad Scientist, who put
on an excellent show. Then we spent several hours launching model rockets. The kid's
dad had bought about a dozen Estes Alpha III's and pre assembled them for the invited kids
to fly. I brought some models from my collection to fly. I posted a thread with plenty of pics
of this demo; maybe tomorrow morning I'll look it up and provide the link.

dwmzmm
01-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Back in the summer of 2007 I was asked to assist in a model rocketry launch of a young
boy having his birthday. First, there was a scientific demonstration by Mad Scientist, who put
on an excellent show. Then we spent several hours launching model rockets. The kid's
dad had bought about a dozen Estes Alpha III's and pre assembled them for the invited kids
to fly. I brought some models from my collection to fly. I posted a thread with plenty of pics
of this demo; maybe tomorrow morning I'll look it up and provide the link.

Ok, here's the link:

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=2172

Enjoy!

Bluegrass Rocket
01-18-2009, 09:28 AM
This past summer we did a rocket party for my 12 year old son. I went as simple as possible, not for my son but for the other kids. We got the Estes Gnome bulk pack. I think it was around $35.00 for 12. Mini engine with streamer recovery and plastic nose, fin can and launch lugs. We kept it as simple as possible and still had a hard time keeping everyones attention. They loved the launching part though. We went to a dollar store and found a large sheet of little mylar stickers and let everyone sticker up their rocket to customize it. They liked that as well. I think you can still get 1/4 A mini engines, good for a small field. I also found several rocket themed party things on Ebay. Happy Rocketing.

jflis
01-18-2009, 11:50 AM
I would recommend the Thing-a-ma-Jig (http://www.fliskits.com/products/rocketkits/kit_detail/thingamajig.htm) (of course :) )

Or the Whatchamacallit (http://www.fliskits.com/products/rocketkits/kit_detail/wcmci.htm)

If you do some of the construction ahead of time, these could easily be done in 45 min.

These are available for bulk at $8.95 and $7.75 respecively

Another idea would be the CAUTION! Rocket Launch in Progress! (http://fliskits.com/products/free_dl/paper_rockets/caution_rocket.htm)

This is a paper rocket that can be built quickly if you do all the cutting ahead of time. Price is FREE. You would also have to supply the nose weight (clay), elastic shock cord and streamer, but they're easy to get. Another suggestion, for speed, is to provide motor tubes and engine blocks to save you from making the motor tube which can be prolematic for fast builds.

Good luck!
jim

Greg N
01-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Great advice. I want to thank all of you for the great responses. I will post pics once it happens.

Thank You all Again

Royatl
01-20-2009, 05:01 PM
I hope I'm not too late here, but I am one of those fuddy duddys that think that model rockets are not appropriate for most kids under the age of 10. Yes, there are a few 8 and 9 year olds that can deal with it. And maybe younger kids if the parents are rocketeers themselves.

I would rather see your kids do water rockets than model rockets for now.

Just my opinion.

Greg N
01-21-2009, 07:28 AM
I hope I'm not too late here, but I am one of those fuddy duddys that think that model rockets are not appropriate for most kids under the age of 10. Yes, there are a few 8 and 9 year olds that can deal with it. And maybe younger kids if the parents are rocketeers themselves.

I would rather see your kids do water rockets than model rockets for now.

Just my opinion.

Point very well taken. There is Fire involved with these things so I do not see your response as a "fuddy duddys" but as a concerned adult.

I will be doing all the prep, I am ordering a new Launch Controller because some of the other children's parents may not be comfortable with being only 15 feet away (like they would be with my Estes and Quest Controller)

The only part the kids will do is to do the count down and hit the button and of course run after it :)