PDA

View Full Version : Colonial Viper

AKPilot
01-18-2009, 05:29 PM
Okay, gents, am looking for a new OOP Colonial Viper. Anyone have one they're willing to part with?

Thanks.

scigs30
01-18-2009, 06:39 PM
There is one on Ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/Estes-1310-Colonal-Viper-Model-Rocket-Kit_W0QQitemZ290290033440QQihZ019QQcategoryZ2567QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

jdud
01-18-2009, 07:08 PM
I have one of the Colonial Viper starter kits. It has the launch pad, controller, etc. The box has no shrink wrap, but all of the inner bags are sealed. To be honest I'm not sure what it is worth. PM me if you are interested and maybe we can figure something out.

AKPilot
01-18-2009, 08:41 PM
There is one on Ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/Estes-1310-Colonal-Viper-Model-Rocket-Kit_W0QQitemZ290290033440QQihZ019QQcategoryZ2567QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Yea, I saw that. Am sure someone's waiting to jump on that at the last minute.

mycrofte
01-15-2010, 02:53 PM
For cloning, Semroc carries about everything (even the BT-52S tube).

Since the original nose cone doesn't exist, what would be used to cut down for it?

sandman
01-15-2010, 03:24 PM
The best cone from SEMROC for the colonial Viper in balsa in the BNC-50XP

It's in "Standard Balsa Nose Cones" almost to the bottom of the BT-50 section.

Here is the cut pattern.

Oh, and I have the decals. ;)

Randy
01-15-2010, 05:06 PM
Okay, gents, am looking for a new OOP Colonial Viper. Anyone have one they're willing to part with?

Thanks.

We cloned a fleet as nice as any new one for about $20-$22.

Go here: http://www.vernarockets.com/id26.html

Scroll all the way down to find whatever you need. Sand Man and Tango Papa both make decals.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

johnnwwa
01-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Here is more rockets for sale Viper clone kit.

http://morerockets.com/The%20Viper.htm

John

the mole
01-15-2010, 06:01 PM
If your looking for a nose cone for a clone viper look at Serius Rocketry in the Moldin' Oldies. http://www.siriusrocketry.biz/ishop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_26_32&products_id=145

mycrofte
01-15-2010, 08:17 PM
If your looking for a nose cone for a clone viper look at Serius Rocketry in the Moldin' Oldies. http://www.siriusrocketry.biz/ishop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_26_32&products_id=145

Yeah, I looked at that one. Not only is it $10, it is also out of stock...

mycrofte
01-16-2010, 12:03 PM
Here is more rockets for sale Viper clone kit.

http://morerockets.com/The%20Viper.htm

John

Well, I did the dirty deed and ordered one of them. Seemed like a good deal for $25. Have to wait and see what the parts look like though...

I showed my brother a picture of the ones here and he liked them. So, I thought I would build one for his birthday next June...

mycrofte
01-16-2010, 12:07 PM
While I'm here, I thought I would throw out an idea. Since everyone is doing BSG stuff...

I was thinking of making it like the "Friede" rocket using the cargo containers as hollow fins. As best I can tell, you would have to make the rear section a series of fins (including the nozzle) for stability. With one 18" BT-20 tube, it would come out about 22" long.

mycrofte
01-17-2010, 04:22 AM
While I was at it, I cleaned up the original fin guides.

the mole
01-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Mycrofte, thanks for cleaned up the original fin guides. It's nice that interst in the Viper and Centuri Starfighter has started. These are great little kits. Cleaning up the orignal patterns and finding like parts to use in cloning will help.

mycrofte
01-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Here is what I received from More Rockets. I'll have to get back with more information once I open it.

the mole
01-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Can't wait for more pictures to what all in that bag. I just might get me one.

mycrofte
01-22-2010, 02:04 PM
Only thing I'm not sure about is the hollow nose cone. Was the original solid or just a PNC cut off like this one?

My guess, with the clay weight included, it will be just as easy to fill the hollow nose and then close it up.

But it looks like everything is there. Including a 12" chute and the fin guides.

sandman
01-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Only thing I'm not sure about is the hollow nose cone. Was the original solid or just a PNC cut off like this one?

My guess, with the clay weight included, it will be just as easy to fill the hollow nose and then close it up.

But it looks like everything is there. Including a 12" chute and the fin guides.

The original was hollow plastic with grove molded where you make your cut. It was then supposed to be filled 4 NCW-1a nose weights.

dlazarus6660
01-22-2010, 02:25 PM
The viper N/C is/was PNC. Just look at the instructions, they tell you to cut the nose cone and then fish the string holding the nose weights through and tie it off. :D

Dang...Sandman beat me to the answer!

johnnwwa
01-22-2010, 02:39 PM

I have a More rockets Viper also. Nose cone is a little short not an exact replacment to the Estes origainal.

John

mycrofte
01-22-2010, 04:10 PM
I have a More rockets Viper also. Nose cone is a little short not an exact replacement to the Estes original.

John

I've seen pictures of the original but not the real thing. That's why I was asking. This one comes pre-cut. I can only hope, if you could measure, that the body tube is adjusted to account for the short cone...

Other than that, it shouldn't be hard to find something to attach a shock cord/string in the nose cone.

Only other question I might have is can you mod this one to look like the new BSG Viper? Or is there more to it than re-cutting the wings? It would be cool to have a set!

This one is for my brother's birthday, so I have until the end of May to get it done.

mycrofte
01-23-2010, 01:56 PM
According to Semroc, the Viper body tube is 9.5" long. Mine is 10" to account for the difference in the nose cone.

I spent the morning cleaning up the first page of the original instructions. Mostly the Galactica and Viper names/logos. But, I also added the tube lengths I.A.W. Semroc's parts list.

dlazarus6660
01-24-2010, 05:51 AM
Am I to understand that there are several clone kits of BSG Colonial Viper?
Whos else makes them and how much, and what size are they?

mycrofte
01-24-2010, 06:25 AM
There are only two available that I know of. Thanks to the guys here!

The one I just got (semi-production clone kit) is from "More Rockets" ($24.95).

Sandman has made an upscale that everyone wants, he is reluctant to kit due to copyright/black helicopters/federal prison. But, from the threads, might be willing to make some parts to be cloned.

You might call Semroc's orderable parts list a third clone.

Other than that, I have seen two people who have made a scratch built Viper based on the new TV version. But I have not heard, after posting the question, whether or not it is original or a modified Estes Viper...

dlazarus6660
01-24-2010, 06:44 AM
I saw a post in The Rocket Forum(TRF) of the MkII the other day. I think it was scratch built.
I googled BSG Viper and found a bunch of models of the Viper of both Mks. (I&II).
I have the original Universal Blueprints for BSG T.V. show that include the Viper Mk I.
I found these posted online too!

Daniel

mycrofte
01-24-2010, 08:06 AM
Thinking it would be cool to have the old and new vipers side by side, I have attempted a Mk II fin pattern to match the original Viper kit.

If anyone has the chance, it would be great if you could print this out and compare it to a built Estes Viper for scale and fit!

rosko_racer
01-24-2010, 08:08 AM
... I saw a post in The Rocket Forum(TRF) of the MkII the other day. I think it was scratch built...

... Other than that, I have seen two people who have made a scratch built Viper based on the new TV version. But I have not heard, after posting the question, whether or not it is original or a modified Estes Viper...

Mycrofte / dlazarus6660: I am just catching up with this thread. I was one of the two people who scratchbuilt an MKII. Mike Howie on TRF started the build thread and just followed what he was doing. I did some changes to my Viper and even flew it on an C11-3. I recently started building a bigger more accurate version but it has been stalled and other projects have jumbed ahead.

To answer Mycrofte's question on his mod, the wings on all three Vipers (Original TV Series, New Series, Estes Version) and the shape of the engines are different. I think that with some modifications the Estes version can be done with an "updated look". I posted the fin and cockpit templates for my MKII and Mikes MKII. Check TRF of if needed, I can post the files here. You have to admit, Estes Viper looks cool also.

I have an Estes Viper with a broken wing waiting to be restored... White paint has yellowed and it could use a make over...

mycrofte
01-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Hey rosko!

Thanks for the input. I've seen you pictures and it looks slicker than all get out! I make mine look OK, but only good enough to land in a plowed field, not a show case...

But, that was my idea with the fin pattern PDF I posted, to convert a Estes type to Mk II. Which may not work, or look right. From the pictures, the new Mk II fins are actually smaller than the old 80's TV version. I just matched them up with the Estes Viper fins I have to scale with.

That is why I'm hoping someone can print the PDF and say whether or not they are even close.

the mole
01-24-2010, 11:52 AM
Does anybody have the correct nose weight for the Viper? I have a Serius Rocketry nose cone for the Viper but I not like the looks of it, so I'm going to use a balsa nose cone from SEMROC. That's why I need the weight.

tbzep
01-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Does anybody have the correct nose weight for the Viper? I have a Serius Rocketry nose cone for the Viper but I not like the looks of it, so I'm going to use a balsa nose cone from SEMROC. That's why I need the weight.

It used 4 NCW-1A weights, which are .12 oz each. SEMROC has them here (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=628) . I don't know the weight of the nosecone itself.

Randy
01-24-2010, 12:42 PM

Verna says for the stock built Estes version of the BSG Viper the correct nose cone weight with clay installed, regardless of manufacturer or clone, is 1.0 oz.

For more scratch building tips and specs visit her Red Squadron page at http://www.vernarockets.com/id26.html

It's a long page with tons of info., scroll all the way down the page to see other flyer's Vipers, particularly Sue Deberg's and Jim Neubauer upscales. There's a link to Sue's site there also.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

mycrofte
01-24-2010, 03:18 PM
Just a side note here for BSG fans. A BSG letterhead I made for my brother last year. Had to dig through backup disks to find it...

dlazarus6660
02-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Hey, are there any more updates or progress with the Colonial Viper?
Anyone building one currently. I'm planning my build in a few weeks. I need to order some parts first! :D :p

Daniel

mperdue
02-10-2010, 03:00 PM
I'm building one but I'm taking a different approach.

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=8998

Mario

ghrocketman
02-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Mario,
I want to see your version with the correct fuselage profile made into a KIT !

mperdue
02-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Mario,
I want to see your version with the correct fuselage profile made into a KIT !
I don't think I'll do a kit but I may make some patterns available.

Mario

ghrocketman
02-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Mario,
What size mount and what power are you planning on flying your Viper on ?

mperdue
02-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Mario,
What size mount and what power are you planning on flying your Viper on ?38MM mount, H-J motors.

ghrocketman
02-11-2010, 03:02 PM
That sounds great and just about what I was thinking.
Would it be light enough to fly on say a 29mm H238T or H250G ?

mperdue
02-11-2010, 04:08 PM
That sounds great and just about what I was thinking.
Would it be light enough to fly on say a 29mm H238T or H250G ?Probably. I'm kinda winging it so I have no idea how much this thing will weigh when it's done.

harpman
04-23-2010, 09:51 PM
If anyone is interested, I can cut fins and alignment jigs fo the colonial Viper. I have fin alignment jigs for both the original and with BT-50's for the turbos. I suppose with some drawings I could cut any set of fins.

Jeff :D

www.lewiscreek.net

LeeR
04-24-2010, 10:19 AM
Yea, I saw that. Am sure someone's waiting to jump on that at the last minute.

That could be you ... just pick a nice high max bid, like $250.00 or so. :p

mycrofte
06-15-2010, 06:10 AM
Since I just built and launched the original, I was wondering if any of the MkIIs ever got finished?

Feyd
06-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Does anyone have a RockSim file of the Viper? I'm planning on building one and then doing a 2x upscale. Easier to do with a RockSim file.

Thanks.

harpman
06-18-2010, 01:59 PM
I would like a Rock Sim file, of that if you come up with one. :D :D

Feyd
06-22-2010, 08:37 AM
Still looking for that RockSim file if anyone has one.

Just found this interesting image you all might be interested in:

Colonial Viper "Found" (http://www.e-onsoftware.com/common/printpict.php?link=/showcase/Pictures/Technical/2631.jpg&width=739&height=1023)

Digitalastro
06-22-2010, 07:41 PM
Take a look at this site!

http://www.scifiairshow.com/ships-shuttle-viper.html

Feyd
06-22-2010, 09:48 PM
Since nobody else seems to have a Rocksim file, I thought I'd take a shot. Here is my first draft. Comments and modifications are most welcome.

rosko_racer
06-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Sorry Feyd, I had one but had to really dig it out... do not remember where I got this one but it was made by Bruce S. Levison...

I was also working on a MKII version some time ago wity RC8... maybe with RC9 I can do it... Anyone, give it a shot!

sandman
06-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Just a note on decals if you guys order them from me.

I add the pilot names to the decal set.

CPT. APOLLO
CPT. APOLLO
LT. STARBUCK
LT. STARBUCK
LT. BOOMER
LT. BOOMER
LT. SHEBA
LT. SHEBA

OR your own name and call sign.

Just tell me ahead of time and I'll print it on.

ghrocketman
06-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Could you do
Maj. NUISANCE or Maj. HOOLIGAN or Col. OBNOXIO or Gen. NONSENSE ?

Randy
06-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Just a note on decals if you guys order them from me.

I add the pilot names to the decal set.

CPT. APOLLO
CPT. APOLLO
LT. STARBUCK
LT. STARBUCK
LT. BOOMER
LT. BOOMER
LT. SHEBA
LT. SHEBA

OR your own name and call sign.

Just tell me ahead of time and I'll print it on.

And the price?

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

sandman
06-23-2010, 12:57 PM
And the price?

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

They are listed on my web site with pictures in the "Classic Estes Decals" section and in the "Upscale and Downscale Decals" section.

The standard size set is $10

The 168% upscale is $23

There is no charge for you pilot name and call sign.

tbzep
06-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Could you do
Maj. NUISANCE or Maj. HOOLIGAN or Col. OBNOXIO or Gen. NONSENSE ?

That would be Gen. Specific, and Maj. Minor. Ground crew would include Corp. Punishment and Pri. Public.

dlazarus6660
06-23-2010, 02:09 PM
tbzep,

Are you a Catch 22 fan?

Remember Major Major Major Major?

I still like General SNAFU :p :D

BTW...Was Lt. Sheba included in the new BSG? I don't remember. :confused:

tbzep
06-23-2010, 02:34 PM
tbzep,

Are you a Catch 22 fan?

Remember Major Major Major Major?

I still like General SNAFU :p :D

BTW...Was Lt. Sheba included in the new BSG? I don't remember. :confused:

I haven't read Catch 22. The military characters I'm referring to were from a stand up comedian that I saw on the comedy channel when it first got picked up by our cable company decades ago. They eventually used the military names about 10 years ago in a cartoon about a sheep. Seems like it was "Sheep in the City" or something like that.

I don't know if the comedian took the idea from the book or not, nor do I know if the cartoon characters were named after the comedian's characters or the book. :confused:

sandman
06-23-2010, 02:39 PM
I haven't read Catch 22. The military characters I'm referring to were from a stand up comedian that I saw on the comedy channel when it first got picked up by our cable company decades ago. They eventually used the military names about 10 years ago in a cartoon about a sheep. Seems like it was "Sheep in the City" or something like that.

I don't know if the comedian took the idea from the book or not, nor do I know if the cartoon characters were named after the comedian's characters or the book. :confused:

That sounds a lot like George Carlin.

tbzep
06-23-2010, 06:21 PM
That sounds a lot like George Carlin.

I don't think it was him. I can't really remember, so I'm not going out on a limb and ruling him out. Most of the people on the comedy channel back then were people I'd never heard of. However, the play on words was his type of comedy, particularly seven words. :eek:

DaveR
06-23-2010, 10:11 PM
The military characters I'm referring to were from a stand up comedian that I saw on the comedy channel when it first got picked up by our cable company decades ago. They eventually used the military names about 10 years ago in a cartoon about a sheep. Seems like it was "Sheep in the City" or something like that.

Hey, I remember seeing this guy on the Comedy Channel as well, way back when they'd show comedy clips ala MTV--his name is Mo Willems. I remember the cartoon too, "Sheep in the Big City" don't think it lasted very long though.

tbzep
06-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Hey, I remember seeing this guy on the Comedy Channel as well, way back when they'd show comedy clips ala MTV--

When MTV (aka Music Television) actually had music. :rolleyes:

Feyd
06-24-2010, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the RockSim files rosko_racer. Those will come in very handy as I work on my upscale project.

I've got all the parts ordered, including the decals from Sandman, just waiting for everything to come in so I can get started.

I received my Viper clone from MoreRockets yesterday, so when I get back from my business trip I have three rockets to work on for the EMRR contest.

Whew!

DaveR
06-24-2010, 12:01 PM
When MTV (aka Music Television) actually had music. :rolleyes:
I remember that too....... :rolleyes:

Mikus
06-24-2010, 12:48 PM
They are listed on my web site with pictures in the "Classic Estes Decals" section and in the "Upscale and Downscale Decals" section.

The standard size set is $10

The 168% upscale is $20

There is no charge for you pilot name and call sign.

Oh I am soooo on that! Time for another Excelsior order. :D

Mikus
06-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Oh I am soooo on that! Time for another Excelsior order. :D

Order up! :D

The email came from my Hotmail account so you might need to check your spam filter. :(

sandman
06-24-2010, 02:46 PM
Order up! :D

The email came from my Hotmail account so you might need to check your spam filter. :(

I got it.

i just need you to decide how you want your name and call sign.

Randy
06-25-2010, 06:28 AM

How many sets per sheet, 1 or 2?

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

mycrofte
07-01-2010, 10:44 AM
I finally got some pictures from my sister. Scanned in the best two.

Feyd
07-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Hey Sandman - my Viper decals arrived safe and sound a couple of days ago. They look fantastic! Thanks!

sandman
07-03-2010, 08:23 PM
How many sets per sheet, 1 or 2?

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

Sorry, I didn't see that.

It's 2 pages for the 168% upscale decals.

Feyd
07-06-2010, 05:13 AM
Finally finished my Viper! Here are some photos.

Now to start on the upscale...

Mikus
07-06-2010, 09:10 AM
I got it.

Got 'em. Very cool, this should rock. :D

Feyd
08-23-2010, 07:15 AM
All -

I finished my Colonial Viper (from morerockets.com) and have flown it twice with interesting results.

My build seems to want to fly horizontally about 100' off the pad. I've flown it with a B6-4 and a C6-5. Both times it ripped off the pad and went horizontal not long afterwards. Recovered nicely both times, but that's not the flight path I envisioned :cool:

Any ideas what I might have done wrong? Too much nose weight? Too little? I haven't tried in on an A8 yet.

Before I build my upscale, I need to figure this one out. Nobody else seems to be having the problem, so it's definitely something I did incorrectly.

Thanks!

sandman
08-23-2010, 07:43 AM
All -

I finished my Colonial Viper (from morerockets.com) and have flown it twice with interesting results.

My build seems to want to fly horizontally about 100' off the pad. I've flown it with a B6-4 and a C6-5. Both times it ripped off the pad and went horizontal not long afterwards. Recovered nicely both times, but that's not the flight path I envisioned :cool:

Any ideas what I might have done wrong? Too much nose weight? Too little? I haven't tried in on an A8 yet.

Before I build my upscale, I need to figure this one out. Nobody else seems to be having the problem, so it's definitely something I did incorrectly.

Thanks!

That's the same thing the Estes SR-71 Blackbird seems to do.

It sounds like it's "over stable".

Any slight breeze hits the fins and it heads right into it.

Check the CG. I think there is a roc sim on it somewhere. Anybody know?

harpman
08-23-2010, 09:18 AM
My thought would be that is is Understable, did you use all the weight in the kit? With out seeing it that would be a guess. The other thing is check your fins, to make sure their straight. I love the Viper, but if you scratch build it I recommend making it 1 or 2 calibers longer. It makes the model look and fly better. The other thing is if you can cap the front of the nosecone, you can move the weight to the front of the cone and use less weight. In a scratch I would increase the fin size slightly , to make it more stable as well.

Just my thoughts, I don't know if that helps.

sandman
08-23-2010, 10:07 AM
My thought would be that is is Understable, did you use all the weight in the kit? With out seeing it that would be a guess. The other thing is check your fins, to make sure their straight. I love the Viper, but if you scratch build it I recommend making it 1 or 2 calibers longer. It makes the model look and fly better. The other thing is if you can cap the front of the nosecone, you can move the weight to the front of the cone and use less weight. In a scratch I would increase the fin size slightly , to make it more stable as well.

Just my thoughts, I don't know if that helps.

Curious, what makes you think it's "under stable"?

It flys straight...just horizontal.

Doug Sams
08-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Curious, what makes you think it's "under stable"?

It flys straight...just horizontal.By the time it turns horizontal, its fuel load has diminished thereby making it more stable than at launch. So, you have to ask what caused it to turn horizontal. Was it marginally stable, just enough to effect the turn, but gained stability before going end-over-end? I've seen several rockets like this before, and am baffled by their behavior. But I can't help but wonder if it isn't a case of marginal stability segueing into full stability as the motor burns off.

Doug

Feyd
08-23-2010, 11:05 AM
Yes, I believe I used all the noseweight. I'll have to do a swing test or something. I did crack off the front of one of the angled fins and had to reglue it - it might be a little crooked. But as far as I can tell all of the fins and tubes are on straight.

harpman
08-23-2010, 12:29 PM
The reason I thought it might be under stable is that I did some tests and the last ones that I flew had 3 times the nose weight and even in a very stiff wind the flew fairly straight. They will always arc over, due to the fin/cockpit arrangement, but I have never had one make a hard turn and fly horizontal. However I do not have the experience that some of the others do, which is why I qualified that with "I think". ;) would not want anyone to think, that I thought, I knew it all. :chuckle: Just giving my 2 cents worth.

If you want to test it make an extension for your viper. 3 or 4" ,would be good to start. JUst extend the shock cord. If it then flies well you know if was understable.

ghrocketman
08-23-2010, 01:49 PM
I just finished the build of the "more rockets" Colonial viper kit.
Time to break out the Aero gloss Balsa Fillercoat and Sanding Sealer. Topcoat would be Aero Gloss Swift White Dope if it was not for the plastic nose cone. Due to this, topcoat will be automotive "true white" by Dupli Color.

mycrofte
08-23-2010, 04:45 PM
If you read mine from June, I posted that it went horizontal just after clearing the tree line.

My guess would be the large fins getting cranked with the slightest breeze. At least it didn't spend 30 years in a tree like my old Estes X-15 when that happened...

Feyd
08-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Ok, I guess I'll just have to wait for a non-windy day and try it again. I wonder, though, if I should add more weight. Would that make it "more" unstable?

ghrocketman
08-24-2010, 12:10 PM
It may be "weathercocking" from wind due to over stability.
Add weight to the nose; if it becomes worse, it was OVER stable already. If it becomes better with the weight, it was UNDER stable.

Randy
08-27-2010, 08:04 PM
Ok, I guess I'll just have to wait for a non-windy day and try it again. I wonder, though, if I should add more weight. Would that make it "more" unstable?

What does your finished nose cone weigh?

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

Feyd
08-28-2010, 12:00 AM
I'm out of town right now. I'll weigh it when I return and let you know.

Feyd

Feyd
08-30-2010, 08:47 PM
The nosecone is right on the line between 0.5oz and 0.6 oz.

Randy
08-31-2010, 06:01 AM
The nosecone is right on the line between 0.5oz and 0.6 oz.

You should be fine then. Is it possible you suffered rod whip or the pad moved during boost?

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

Feyd
08-31-2010, 06:30 AM
The pad is a large steel tubing construction, so I doubt it moved. Rod whip is possible because the rods are 4' long. The next time I get a calm day I'll try it again to see if that helps. But I don't remember there being much if any wind that day.

Would adding a couple of inches to the body tube help? I could add that for launches and take it off when I'm displaying the Viper. I would really hate for this one to just sit on the shelf - it's a really nice-looking rocket.

AcroRay
09-26-2010, 09:51 AM
Has anyone built or heard any reviews about MoreRockets' Viper clone kit? I was thinking of picking one up (the Viper was a kit I wanted when I was a kid, but never got) but was curious what their parts quality was, how nice their decals were, and how they handled the nose cone. (They have a couple more of my unfulfilled childhood wishes as well, like the Dragon Ship 7.)

I know Mycroft has one. Have you built it yet?

harpman
09-26-2010, 12:48 PM
I have a couple of their kits. I think the quality it as good or better than the original kits. I know Dan is very particular about the quality of the parts that go into his kits.

AcroRay
09-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Thanks, Harpman! Currently, my experience from manufacturers is limited to Estes, Custom Rockets and Quest Aero. I've been pretty satisfied with the materials and manufacturing on those. So MoreRockets body tubes (and the tube spirals), decals and diecutting were something I was wondering about.

[Edit - Saw new photo at their website, answering my own decals question about Dragon Ship 7.]

Randy
09-26-2010, 02:57 PM
[QUOTE=AcroRay]Has anyone built or heard any reviews about MoreRockets' Viper clone kit?

They've been around a little while now and of the posts I've read about them, all have been good, I haven't heard any complaints. Give them a shot.

The only thing I would note about their Viper is that the nose cone is slightly different from the Estes or the Sirius cloned versions. http://www.siriusrocketry.biz/ishop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_26_32&products_id=145

Of course the Estes and the Sirius versions are not exact replicas of the tv series Viper cone either but they're a bit closer than MoreRockets, so that part comes down to the individual's preference of style. Doesn't make one better than the other, just different. Verna & I have used many of the resin clone cones and prefer them to the original plastic Estes cones because you don't need to add as much nose weight and they're thicker & stronger than the plastic cones.

The main thing you'd get from MoreRockets over cloning is that you'll get a complete kit rather than having to scrounge parts and decals for a clone. The cost is about the same. To see what it takes to clone a BSG Viper go here: http://www.vernarockets.com/id26.html

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

AcroRay
09-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks, Randy! The Viper website you and Verna have was one of my earliest research stops when I became a BAR earlier this year. I'm glad to have your experienced review. And, yeah, I'd be more than happy to have MoreRockets kit the clone up than have to do it myself. (I just don't have the time.)

I might supplement the MoreRockets kit with a Sirius repro. Is there anyone offering resin cones? Sounds like the optimal option, and I do a lot of resin kit building so it's a material I'm probably more comfortable working with than balsa.

Randy
09-26-2010, 03:31 PM
I might supplement the MoreRockets kit with a Sirius repro. Is there anyone offering resin cones? Sounds like the optimal option, and I do a lot of resin kit building so it's a material I'm probably more comfortable working with than balsa.

Glad to help. Right now Sirius is the only one I know of making a resin BSG Viper cone. Go here: http://www.siriusrocketry.biz/ishop...products_id=145

They go for $9.95 + shipping and are easy to trim. Verna also used a small sheet metal screw to attach the shock cord to the cone and as a back up, used a seperate line to the loop molded onto the cone. Hasn't lost one yet.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

harpman
09-26-2010, 09:13 PM
I'm not sure on that one. The 2 kits that I have are water slide, clear backround. If you send Dan an email I'm sure he will tell you.

harpman
09-26-2010, 09:14 PM
I really liked building the Nebulon Warrior. the compound fins were a challenge. I made jigs to make sure that all the fins were square.