PDA

View Full Version : Mom

PaulK
02-13-2009, 10:52 PM
While only a few of you have met me personally, the folks on this board are part of my life, so I wanted to let you know that my Mom passed away unexpectedly last week. She was only 78. Its been a rough week, but family and friends helped get me through. This time has reminded me of some valuable life lessons, among them The importance of friends & family; Actively maintaining those relationships; Living life every day to its fullest; The importance of supporting those grieving. Over the years, our relationship evolved to a close friendship; I'll miss her greatly, as will all who knew her.

stefanj
02-13-2009, 10:54 PM
Sorry to hear the sad news!

Bazookadale
02-13-2009, 11:03 PM
All our prayers are with you. I lost my Dad last November and Mom just 8 weeks later. I know what a shock it is, remember all the good times and be glad you you got her for a Mom.

dwmzmm
02-13-2009, 11:29 PM
Sorry to hear the sad news!

Same from me, Paul.....

Ltvscout
02-14-2009, 07:52 AM
While only a few of you have met me personally, the folks on this board are part of my life, so I wanted to let you know that my Mom passed away unexpectedly last week. She was only 78. Its been a rough week, but family and friends helped get me through. This time has reminded me of some valuable life lessons, among them The importance of friends & family; Actively maintaining those relationships; Living life every day to its fullest; The importance of supporting those grieving. Over the years, our relationship evolved to a close friendship; I'll miss her greatly, as will all who knew her.
I'm sorry to hear about your mom, Paul.

Many in the rocketry community supported me when I was down after my dad died in a car accident back in '99.

bob jablonski
02-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Sorry to hear that. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Mr. Bob

Sheri
02-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Sorry for your loss!

Green Dragon
02-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Paul.

Sorry about your mom :(

Just remember that your YORF buddies are here for you, to listen or whatever - the guys here were there for me after my wife left/ during the divorce, and the hard times... one even sent me a few kits to pass the time :) < thanks , you know who you are :) >

Awesome to know the guys here, true friends, even if some I;ve never met.

~ AL

o1d_dude
02-14-2009, 11:54 AM
Sorry to hear the news about your mom.

I lost mine a little over two years ago. She was 78 like yours and her passing was not unexpected. Didn't make it any easier, tho.

Be strong.

Peartree
02-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Prayers for you and your family from here as well.

JRThro
02-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Paul, I'm really sorry to hear about your Mom's passing.

LeeR
02-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Paul,

Indeed you know you can find support from a bunch of great people on this forum, and others.

As I type, my wife is delivering a meal to someone she does not know, but has a family problem and will appreciate the gesture, I'm sure. I am continually reminded of her caring, and how I should constantly strive to be more like her.

Family and friends -- they are truly what is most important in our lives.

genimijim
02-14-2009, 01:57 PM
Paul

Sorry to hear of your Mom's passing.
While you won't be able to hold her anymore, you can always hold on to the memories of her.
You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers as well as your mom.

Jim

moonzero2
02-14-2009, 03:04 PM
My thoughts and prayers are of you and your family.

georgegassaway
02-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Sorry for your loss.

I lost my mother a year ago next Saturday. She was 88. She was diagnosed with lung cancer in October 2007, and started radiation a month later. There were hopes the radiation might control it, but near the end of the second cycle of treatments, things went downhill very rapidly starting in early January 2008. Even then her doctor thought she might have another 6 months, but she only lasted about 6 more weeks.

She had been a smoker, but quit in the early 1980’s. Although her best friend later told me she had sneaked a few smokes on occasion since then, though not nearly as much as she smoked before.

I lost my father in 1978. He had a major stroke, from which he succumbed about 3 weeks later. In 1968 he had had a stroke but recovered in a few months, to the point there was hardly any indication he’d had one.

- George Gassaway

MKP
02-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Very sorry for your loss.

We lost my grandmother in October of last year. It was incredible shock, she was 78, but vibrant. The day before, my father had helped her winterize her house, and she seemed perfectly fine. The next day, she didn't go to church, so the neighbors called us. My dad found the spare key and well, he found her in her chair, looking to be asleep.

She died on her anniversary, it would seem that my Grandpa had come to get her. He died some years earlier from complications of Alzheimer's.

It's never easy, but you're in many prayers.

And remember everyone, check on your elders! If my Grandma's wonderful neighbors hadn't called us it might have been another two days before anyone would have noticed her missing.

Rocketflyer
02-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Paul,

Sorry to hear about your Mom. I am glad that you had such a good relation with her. Draw upon those close times, as it will be then you are closest to her still, even though she is physically gone. I'm sure she is smiling down at you.

Prayers for you and your family.

Jack

Mikus
02-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Sorry dude. :(

shockwaveriderz
02-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Paul:

Condolences on your loss. I lost my mom at age 75 this past February to lung cancer. She beat breast cancer at age 72 .

terry dean

Chas Russell
02-16-2009, 01:35 PM
Paul,

My condolences on your loss. I lost my mother back in 1975 and today would have been her birthday. All you can do is to rejoice for the time you had with her and keep good thoughts.

Chas

ghrocketman
02-16-2009, 02:15 PM
That's for sure a big bummer.
You are in my thoughts.
I lost my mom 10 years ago when she was only 50.
I have found that the pain of a loss of a parent will fade over time but very slowly.

cas2047
02-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Paul,

My deepest condolences. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Frank

Tau Zero
02-16-2009, 09:33 PM
While only a few of you have met me personally, the folks on this board are part of my life, so I wanted to let you know that my Mom passed away unexpectedly last week. She was only 78. Its been a rough week, but family and friends helped get me through.Paul,

Sorry to hear about your mom. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

In the last two weeks, there have been 9 high-profile deaths in our little town of 40,000 people. A week ago Saturday I spoke at a funeral for Chance, a little boy who was almost 11 years old. He was killed when he fell out the door of his stepdad's pickup onto the street. Chance was was born three weeks before my youngest daughter, and we first met him and his mom in the NICU at the hospital in Boise, two hours west of here.

It's been tough recently for lots of people. But if we can all help each other "muddle through," I'm good with that.

Hang in there, Paul. We're all pulling for you.

PaulK
02-20-2009, 08:58 AM
Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. This week was better than last, and while it is still a long road, my faith, friends, and family will help me and everyone else affected get through this. Our family has received so many notes from Mom's circle, many of whom I never met; it has really brought home her positive contributions to our lives and how much she meant to so many people; I wish I would have had time to say these things to her, but hope she can read this now. My uncle summed it up last week when he said, "She was my rock, and now she is my Angel".

-Paul