03-30-2009, 10:35 AM
What did you do for this?

1) Participated by turning off every elctrically powered device

2) Participated by turning on every elctrically powered device

3) Ignored it.

I did #2

Jeff Walther
03-30-2009, 10:43 AM
I ignored it. It seemed like a rather pointless exercise. Plus, if everyone did it, I rather worry what would happen regarding load balancing in the electricity grid.

I don't want to consume less energy. I already turn off lights when I leave the room, have CFL, etc. I want society to build an infrastructure which will provide energy affordable enough, that I can have that 200 gallon, artificially sunlit, chilled, reef aquarium if I want it. And we have the ability to do so without doing real damage to the environment.

The idea of a future where we all conserve the heck out of everything because it is expensive is frightful. I'd much rather intelligently build the infrastructure we need to provide comfortable, nay, luxurious amounts of electricity and fresh water.

ghrocketman
03-30-2009, 11:09 AM
I ignored it, just like all other wacky left-wing Environmentalist initiatives based almost always on JUNK SCIENCE interpreted to specifically fit their idiotic goals.

On clean air day this year I think I will deliberately purchase an extra 10 gallons of highly-LEADED Racing Fuel for my 2-stroke RM250 Dirt Bike and a few extra quarts of LEAD Supreme 130 real-tetraethyl-lead fuel additive for my boat ! That ought to make the Enviro-Whackos CRINGE !

conleyt
03-30-2009, 11:12 AM
I ignored it...........

Tom C.

Davidtmp
03-30-2009, 11:33 AM
When was it??

Guess you can say I ignored it. :rolleyes:

MKP
03-30-2009, 11:49 AM
I ignored it, but I would have turned on every device in the house of if I had remembered it. :D

I just heard on the radio that the power surge from turning everything back on at 9:30 totally negated any benefits of the previous hour. :chuckle:

Peartree
03-30-2009, 02:21 PM
Never heard about it until it was over.

During WWII every town picked a day (often Wed. or Thurs) and all the businesses closed for half a day. doing something like that would be far more practical.

Earth hour, what a useless idea.

Bob Kaplow
03-30-2009, 06:20 PM
The propaganda I saw just said turn off your lights, not turn off all your electric devices. I'm not about to trip the breaker on the fridge, freezer, well, furnace, sump pump, etc. for even an hour. Some of those would be foolish, others would just shift energy usage to later.

My left wing wife and daughter did turn off all the lights, but realized 10 minutes before that we had to make dinner first. I grabbed an old auto headlight (main beam burned out, high beam still fine, wired it to a rocket gel cell, and we cooked and ate to launch battery light.

I never did see anything indicating how they were going to MEASURE the effectiveness of the stunt any way.

Nuke Rocketeer
03-31-2009, 06:32 AM
The propaganda I saw just said turn off your lights, not turn off all your electric devices. I'm not about to trip the breaker on the fridge, freezer, well, furnace, sump pump, etc. for even an hour. Some of those would be foolish, others would just shift energy usage to later.

My left wing wife and daughter did turn off all the lights, but realized 10 minutes before that we had to make dinner first. I grabbed an old auto headlight (main beam burned out, high beam still fine, wired it to a rocket gel cell, and we cooked and ate to launch battery light.

I never did see anything indicating how they were going to MEASURE the effectiveness of the stunt any way.

It was not. From what I have heard from my utility contacts, there was no discernable difference in load that night.

BTW....ALgore did turn off the big spotlights on his mansion, but left his driveway lights on.

Nuke Rocketeer
03-31-2009, 06:54 AM
California electricity demand chart for Saturday.....

http://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/earth_hour_3-28-09_caiso.png

Demand chart for Sunday.

http://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/3-29-09_caiso.png

Looks like Earth hour made very little change if any in California......