PDA

View Full Version : any ID on this one ????

Green Dragon
10-22-2009, 09:30 PM
OK, was going through my pics of my last years attic find, looking for Micro Probe details (see other thread here on YORF ).

have this pic of a bird in the lot.

looks to be a kit, but I have no knowledge beyond that .

it's ST7, 3/32" balsa fins, has CHROME vacuplated cone, not painted.... ( white plastic cone ).

I have NEVER seen this cone , or know who made it, so unsure the kit origin either.

these 53 birds , and some late 1968 engines, were found, wrapped in 1972 newspapers, in a local attic. in the fall of 2008.

lot of nice parts, warped fins, early kits and scratchbuilts, plus many that might be plan-built, if the plans could be found ( mostly military type rockets - sidewinder,seahawk,etc )

any thoughts.

pic 1 = rocket asking about above, chrome cone

other pics are teaser shots the day I brought em home, filled the entire porch railing of my duplex :)

sandman
10-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Seems pretty heavy on the Centuri side.

Nice find.

SEL
10-23-2009, 01:18 AM
Al,

The rocket body and fins looks like a Centuri 'Chuter 2' minus the payload section. The nose cone I can't help you with.

S.

OK, was going through my pics of my last years attic find, looking for Micro Probe details (see other thread here on YORF ).

it's ST7, 3/32" balsa fins, has CHROME vacuplated cone, not painted.... ( white plastic cone ).

I have NEVER seen this cone , or know who made it, so unsure the kit origin either.

these 53 birds , and some late 1968 engines, were found, wrapped in 1972 newspapers, in a local attic. in the fall of 2008.

lot of nice parts, warped fins, early kits and scratchbuilts, plus many that might be plan-built, if the plans could be found ( mostly military type rockets - sidewinder,seahawk,etc )

any thoughts.

pic 1 = rocket asking about above, chrome cone

other pics are teaser shots the day I brought em home, filled the entire porch railing of my duplex :)

Green Dragon
10-23-2009, 07:09 AM
Al,

The rocket body and fins looks like a Centuri 'Chuter 2' minus the payload section. The nose cone I can't help you with.

S.

That's exactly what I had thought, however, the Chuter 2 is ST8.. this one is only ST7

will have to poke around and see what I can turn up . might be scratchbuilt, using same finplan as the Chuter 2... but that still does not explain the origin of the chrome nosecone - anyone ever seen one of those ???

~ AL

Ltvscout
10-23-2009, 07:46 AM

I think it's some type of scratch built using Chuter 2 fins. Dunno where that cone came from though. I don't recall Centuri having any chrome cones.

Chas Russell
10-23-2009, 08:25 AM
Sneeking a look at YORF here at work. There was a company in the late'60's-early '70s called BOMAR. I seem to recall they had chrome cones. Anyway, it might be something to look into. I have a catalog and it is probably up on ninfinger.org.

Back to work!

Chas

jbuscaglia
10-23-2009, 08:46 AM
Looks a bit like an ASP-IV. Plans from NARTS available on YORP here (http://www.oldrocketplans.com/narts/ASP-IV_105.pdf). Not sure about the cone, though.

Chas Russell
10-23-2009, 09:07 AM
Okay, it was driving me to distraction. Ninfinger.org has the 1969 catalog posted. Bomar had a plain and a chrome plastic nose cone. The chrome is the CNC-1 fitting tubes 0.715 ID and 0.755 OD. The length is listed at 3.5"

Could very well be what that nose cone is.

Chas

Royatl
10-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Sneeking a look at YORF here at work. There was a company in the late'60's-early '70s called BOMAR. I seem to recall they had chrome cones. Anyway, it might be something to look into. I have a catalog and it is probably up on ninfinger.org.

Back to work!

Chas

BOMAR is what I was thinking.

As I recall they had three nose cones, all one diameter. Two plastic, one pine. The plastic ones were the same shape, one white and the other chrome plated.

And the shape was somewhat distinctive in that it stayed a cylinder for a small distance above the shoulder.

here it is:

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/bomar69/69bomar14.html

Green Dragon
10-23-2009, 08:44 PM
YAY !!!!!

Checked the site, and then measured the cone... 3.5" includes the shoulder.

it IS the distinctive shape ( cylindrical,then semi-ogive) and I am CERTAIN this is the Bomar cone :D

thanks guys !!!!!!!

now, on to the bird itself - I checked the plan for the ASP 4, looks like that , I will have to print that and check the fin patterns ( my printer is doa, so have to use on in the office ;) .

my tube length is 11 7/8", so slightly shorter then the plan lists.

will keep posted .

~ AL

ps: if someone wanted to pull a mold off the cone, let me know .....

Green Dragon
10-23-2009, 09:28 PM
ok, in researching ( read - surfing YORP for goodies :) ) ... I found this issue American Rocketer, Vol 1, No 3 .

see page 12.

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/pubs/Centuri/American_Rocketeer/vol3no1/am_rocketeer_vol3no1.pdf

this Don Sahlin photo sequence ... wow, copy of this bird is in my hoard.

see attatched photo, I figured it was scratchbuild, poor mans Quasar, but the hoard dates from mid to late 60's ( pre Quasar ) .

definately based on this bord... all I can say is wow .

input ?

Green Dragon
10-23-2009, 09:37 PM
still hunting, and in AMerican Rocketeer vol 2,no 1 I find the plans for Design Contest winner ANTARES .

( note SCOTT - can this be posted seperately somplece where it could be easily found ? just the one page )

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/pubs/Centuri/American_Rocketeer/vol2no1/am_rocketeer_vol2_no1.pdf

another pic of birds in my hoard.

gotta be this one, although I have yet to print out patterns and match up / measure lengths,etc.

Also, of VERY curious note - the designer = Ed La Croix

is this our own Ed ? ala APogee components and Aerotech , and NAR competitor ?

Green Dragon
10-24-2009, 11:32 AM
snapped a pic of the cones I have.

note two on left are hardwood cones and do match - I believe these could be Bomar cones as well .

other is the chromed BOMAR cone. nice hollow molded cone, no base or screweye/ line attatch point.

Seeing as BOMAR was in Syracuse, NY ( about 90 min from me, and an hour from where I purchased this lot ) . not surprised. but curious none of thier items have turned up before.

will keep info coming as I find any, appreciate any feedback or tips :)

~ AL

Chas Russell
10-24-2009, 06:44 PM
Al,

Thanks for sharing the picture of the nose cones. I don't think I ever bought any BOMAR items as they were only around for a couple of years.
I am looking forward to seeing details on the other items.

The design of the month Antares is something I do remember and it is most likey our Ed La Coix. My daughter, Antares, turns 35 tomorrow!.

Chas

Mark II
10-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Seeing as BOMAR was in Syracuse, NY ( about 90 min from me, and an hour from where I purchased this lot ) . not surprised. but curious none of thier items have turned up before. Al, you're closer to Sore Excuse than me? :confused:

How long of a drive would it be to Johnstown, NY for you?

MarkII