PDA

View Full Version : HAL 9000

Ltvscout
01-29-2010, 08:44 AM
Unfortunately, my computer is now calling me "Dave" and asking about the airlock . . . .
I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

I watched 2010 the other day again. I have to say that movie pales in comparison to 2001.

sandman
01-29-2010, 09:21 AM

I watched 2010 the other day again. I have to say that movie pales in comparison to 2001.

I went here a long time ago, downloaded all the wave sound and added them to my computer.

http://www.palantir.net/2001/sounds.html

An absolute riot!

Whenever I make a mistake, instead of the default beep I get, "I'm afraid i can't do that, Dave."

Pem Tech
01-29-2010, 09:58 AM

Daisy
Daisy
Give your annnssssswerrrrr dooooooooooooooooooooooo

sandman
01-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Daisy
Daisy
Give your annnssssswerrrrr dooooooooooooooooooooooo

When I turn off my computer instead of the microsoft sound I get, "What are you doing, Dave? My mind is going...I can feel it."

When I turn on my computer I get, "I am completely operational and all my circuits are working perfectly."

But I don't always believe it.

Mark II
01-29-2010, 07:31 PM
I have the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission.

Who did the voice of HAL, anyway?

Perhaps we can ask him ourselves...

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/UnNews:Ask_Hal_9000

MarkII

mperdue
01-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Who did the voice of HAL, anyway?
That would be Douglas Rain, a Canadian actor.

kurtschachner
01-29-2010, 09:19 PM
I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.

luke strawwalker
01-30-2010, 01:40 AM
Personally I preferred Majel Barrett Roddenberry's computer voice for the Enterprise (amongst others) on Star Trek TNG (amongst others).

They DID have a MALE voice for the computer down in engineering in a few episodes... wonder who voiced them?? It was a bit strange. Guess it was one of those defaults you could change at startup... LOL:)

I'd set mine for Princess Ardala's voice... SEXY!

HAL just sounded So.... creepy...

which I guess was the point. I enjoyed 2001, up until the 'non ending'... the movie just seems to go off into la-la land, sort of a haze-- RESOLUTION! RESOLUTION!!! OL JR :)

jdbectec
01-30-2010, 08:53 AM
I went here a long time ago, downloaded all the wave sound and added them to my computer.

An absolute riot!

Whenever I make a mistake, instead of the default beep I get, "I'm afraid i can't do that, Dave."

Thanks for posting that. Living here in the birthplace of HAL, those will be a great addition to my computer, and a perfect way to get a chuckle out of my "software engineer" son-in-law.

mojo1986
01-30-2010, 09:40 AM
I think that is an absolute HOOT!! Would you be willing to explain how to do it? I would love to have that on my computer!!!!!!

Joe

An absolute riot!

tbzep
01-30-2010, 10:09 AM
I think that is an absolute HOOT!! Would you be willing to explain how to do it? I would love to have that on my computer!!!!!!

Joe

Go to control panel and choose sounds and audio devices. Choose the sounds tab and click on the sound you want to change in the program events box. Choose the sound you want to replace it with in the small box underneath. I can do some screen caps if you need them.

sandman
01-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Joe

Well, first you have to download all the sounds you want.

Put them in a file that's easy to find (that's always my problem, where did I put that file?)

Now this is for Windows XP;

Go to "Control Panel"

Then "Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices"

Then on that page choose "Change sound scheme".

The "Sound and Audio Device Properties" window will appear, go to the scroll down and find the feature such as "Asterisk", "Critical Stop", "Start Windows", Exit Windows...

Click on the item, now click on the little play arrow to hear what the sound currently is.

Then right next to it is a "brouse" box, click on that and find the sound you want.

This is the hard part...finding where you put the sound file. I put them in a file folder on my desk top and give it a name like "2001 sounds "so it's easy to find.

Click on the sound you selected.

Now go back to the arrow on the "Sound and Audio Device Properties" window and play the sound to make sure it's the one you want.

If you're happy with that hit "Apply".

The hit "OK".

That's it...enjoy your new computer's voice.

Doug Sams
01-30-2010, 12:51 PM
Put them in a file that's easy to find (that's always my problem, where did I put that file?)It doesn't help that Windows 1) hides folders even when you tell it not to, 2) shows shortcuts as pathnames thereby masking the actual path and 3) masks links (shortcuts) as folders in Windows Explorer making users think they're putting something in one place when it's really going to another.

<rant> In my mind, the first computer lesson anyone ever gets should start with teaching the tree/directory structure and housekeeping functions (del, move, copy, etc). But when you try to do that with recent versions of Windows - well, pretend you're trying to teach my mother-inlaw directory structure. You point to the icon "My Documents" which appears at the top of the tree and click on it. In the path window appears a folder icon followed by "My Documents". Logically, you would think you're at the top level of the tree, right? But you're really 27 layers down however the coders in Redmond are too f@#$%&ng stoopid to display the actual path. Some of this is intended to pander to the noobs, the uninitiated, in order to make it easier for them to get up to speed. But by obfuscating the actual structure it only serves to keep the ignorant ignorant. NFW I could explain that some folder icon is really a shortcut when there's no indication otherwise. Way to go, MicroSoft. Make it easier by making it harder :mad: </rant>

Doug

This only serves

tbzep
01-30-2010, 01:15 PM
It doesn't help that Windows 1) hides folders even when you tell it not to, 2) shows shortcuts as pathnames thereby masking the actual path and 3) masks links (shortcuts) as folders in Windows Explorer making users think they're putting something in one place when it's really going to another.

<rant> In my mind, the first computer lesson anyone ever gets should start with teaching the tree/directory structure and housekeeping functions (del, move, copy, etc). But when you try to do that with recent versions of Windows - well, pretend you're trying to teach my mother-inlaw directory structure. You point to the icon "My Documents" which appears at the top of the tree and click on it. In the path window appears a folder icon followed by "My Documents". Logically, you would think you're at the top level of the tree, right? But you're really 27 layers down however the coders in Redmond are too f@#$%&ng stoopid to display the actual path. Some of this is intended to pander to the noobs, the uninitiated, in order to make it easier for them to get up to speed. But by obfuscating the actual structure it only serves to keep the ignorant ignorant. NFW I could explain that some folder icon is really a shortcut when there's no indication otherwise. Way to go, MicroSoft. Make it easier by making it harder :mad: </rant>

Doug

This only serves

Power to the Penguin!

http://bentcorner.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/ubuntu-penguin.jpg

Mark II
01-30-2010, 07:42 PM
It doesn't help that Windows 1) hides folders even when you tell it not to, 2) shows shortcuts as pathnames thereby masking the actual path and 3) masks links (shortcuts) as folders in Windows Explorer making users think they're putting something in one place when it's really going to another.To illustrate the file organization and hierarchy (i. e., the "tree") in Windows, right-click on a folder and select "Explore" from the menu that pops up. It's as simple as that.

MarkII

sandman
01-30-2010, 08:27 PM
So has anybody tried it yet?

When in a program like Word or Corel after I work on a file and go to close it I get a window that wants me to choose "save changes, " yes, no, or cancel I get HAL to say

"I'm sorry Dave I don't have enough information."

And if I try to do something else before resonding to that request,

"You're going to find that rather difficult."

I just wish it wouldn't call me Dave.

Mark II
01-30-2010, 09:15 PM
So has anybody tried it yet?My computer is in the living room and it shares that space with the TV and the main telephone station. Therefore I put a sock in Windows sound effects. I installed custom event sounds in one of my old Macs back in the previous millennium, but they drove everyone nuts, including me eventually, so after a little while I disabled them. They wasted memory and processor time anyway.

MarkII

shrox
01-30-2010, 09:28 PM
I'm soundless.

Doug Sams
01-30-2010, 09:30 PM
To illustrate the file organization and hierarchy (i. e., the "tree") in Windows, right-click on a folder and select "Explore" from the menu that pops up. It's as simple as that.Mark,

I just did that. It doesn't display the actual location, neither in the tree on the left nor in the path window at the top.

http://www.doug79.com/stuff/explorer.JPG

As you can see here, it's not at all obvious that the actual path to the folder is C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\My Documents , hence my complaint about MS obfuscating, by design rather than intent, but nonetheless confusing.

They make it look like there are folders where they aren't. They create virtual folders that aren't really there. This does nothing but make it harder for novice users to learn how to competently drive their computers.

Doug

shrox
01-30-2010, 09:35 PM
Mark,

I just did that. It doesn't display the actual location, neither in the tree on the left nor in the path window at the top.

As you can see here, it's not at all obvious that the actual path to the folder is C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\My Documents , hence my complaint about MS obfuscating, by design rather than intent, but nonetheless confusing.

The make it look like there are folders where they aren't. They create virtual folders that aren't really there. This does nothing but make it harder for novice users to learn how to competently drive their computers.

Doug

Stupid Microsoft make Hulk angry! Hulk smash!

tbzep
01-30-2010, 10:49 PM
Mark,

http://www.doug79.com/stuff/explorer.JPG

They make it look like there are folders where they aren't. They create virtual folders that aren't really there. This does nothing but make it harder for novice users to learn how to competently drive their computers.

Doug

Right click on "my documents" and choose "properties" at the bottom. It will show you the path in the target box. Simple, quick, easy, but I still don't like MS.

Bazookadale
01-31-2010, 10:52 AM
So has anybody tried it yet?

I tried it - and I'm already getting irritated by it :mad:

DaveR
02-02-2010, 09:40 AM
I just wish it wouldn't call me Dave.
What's wrong with being called Dave? :confused: You could be called worse, happens to me all the time. :rolleyes: :D

tbzep
02-02-2010, 01:13 PM
What's wrong with being called Dave? :confused: You could be called worse, happens to me all the time. :rolleyes: :D

:chuckle: It's perfect for your computer. :D

Mark II
02-02-2010, 06:15 PM
What's wrong with being called Dave? :confused: You could be called worse, happens to me all the time. :rolleyes: :DYeah, you could be called Hal... ;) Dave Bowman wasn't the bad guy in the film, after all.

MarkII

MarkB.
02-03-2010, 12:54 PM
You guys are great.

I made that reference in the original thread in the Building Techniques section and was suprised nobody mentioned it over there but I missed the posting here!

I've tried to get it to work in W7 but the first word or two is getting lost in the sound card.

Thanks sandman, this is a hoot.

DaveR
02-03-2010, 03:19 PM
You guys are great.

I made that reference in the original thread in the Building Techniques section and was suprised nobody mentioned it over there but I missed the posting here!

I've tried to get it to work in W7 but the first word or two is getting lost in the sound card.

Thanks sandman, this is a hoot.
I'm pretty sure your thread is where this one came from. Scott occasionally will pull posts and start a new thread when the original wanders off topic. Not that we get off topic a lot.............. :rolleyes:

Mark II
02-03-2010, 05:27 PM
I'm pretty sure your thread is where this one came from. Scott occasionally will pull posts and start a new thread when the original wanders off topic. Not that we get off topic a lot.............. :rolleyes:I believe that is exactly what happened. I'm expecting something similar to occur soon with the RockSim Import thread. :rolleyes: :o ;)

MarkII