PDA

View Full Version : Draconian Morauder tube and cone size needed

ScaleNut
01-31-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm cloning this Centuri model as I'm planning to do an upscale version.
I want to build the model to gain some insight on how to best do the upscale.
there is a kit on ebay but $40+ is more than I care to pay for one

I'm planning an order to Semroc for parts but,
I'm stuck trying to figure out the body tube diameter and length (part # 31110)

nose cone (part # 72089)

It wouldn't hurt to know the Pod tube size (part #31030) but I think I can figure that out after I assemble the Nuclear missile heat sinks.

can anyone shed some light or point me to a reference for these cryptic part #'s ?

Thanks in advance

ScaleNut
01-31-2010, 11:35 AM
Excelsior has the decal so that parts easy.

I noticed while gathering data that the decal file on Jimz site has a Red circle behind the skull
however all the kit cards and build pics I have seen show a black circle behind the skull.

What would be the kit correct color?

Excelsior does not have a thumbnail up on the website yet.

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-31-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm cloning this Centuri model as I'm planning to do an upscale version.
I want to build the model to gain some insight on how to best do the upscale.
there is a kit on ebay but $40+ is more than I care to pay for one

I'm planning an order to Semroc for parts but,
I'm stuck trying to figure out the body tube diameter and length (part # 31110)

nose cone (part # 72089)

It wouldn't hurt to know the Pod tube size (part #31030) but I think I can figure that out after I assemble the Nuclear missile heat sinks.

can anyone shed some light or point me to a reference for these cryptic part #'s ?

Thanks in advance
I'll go look for my kit. It's opened, so I should be able to find you the needed info.

ScaleNut
01-31-2010, 11:58 AM
Bill, thank you sir !

I put alot of time into redrawing all the templates squaring up and "accurising" them.
I can send them to YORP if they are needed.
Hopefully I can create a usable parts list as well !

The original diecut scans are really out of whack, I guess from the scanning process involved.
I sure hope the actuall kit wasn't like that !

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-31-2010, 12:07 PM
The pod tubes are 2" long.
Main body tube is the Centuri equivalent of a BT-50. 10" length.
Nose cone is 5.5" long. (4.5" cone, 1" tang.)
I have the diecut stuff if that will help.

ScaleNut
01-31-2010, 12:28 PM
thanks Bill , that's perfect !

I have the diecut stuff if that will help

yes please ! while you have the kit out.. if you can caliper the thickness of the diecut cards that would save me alot of guesstimation troubles.Or give me your best guess if you don't have a caliper.

in the instructions there is listed

die cut paper-

thin die cut-

medium die cut -

and thick die cut-

knowing the thickness's would help immensly !

no wonder clones of this kit are non-existant..lol

oh while I have you working now ..hehe I'm curious, what color is the circle behind the skull in your kit?

sandman
01-31-2010, 12:54 PM
Excelsior has the decal so that parts easy.

I noticed while gathering data that the decal file on Jimz site has a Red circle behind the skull
however all the kit cards and build pics I have seen show a black circle behind the skull.

What would be the kit correct color?

Excelsior does not have a thumbnail up on the website yet.

There's a thumbnail of the decal on my web site. :confused: OK, it's kinda small.

The kit card does show a black background but the scan has it red.

Since the Skull has a black outline I think the red circle would be better.

Ltvscout
01-31-2010, 12:55 PM
I put alot of time into redrawing all the templates squaring up and "accurising" them.
I can send them to YORP if they are needed.
Hopefully I can create a usable parts list as well !
Always appreciated. ;)

ScaleNut
01-31-2010, 01:32 PM
There's a thumbnail of the decal on my web site. :confused: OK, it's kinda small.

The kit card does show a black background but the scan has it red.

Since the Skull has a black outline I think the red circle would be better.

Thanks Gordon , for whatever reason the thumbnail didn't load for me when I originaly looked
Yep,it's working now
expect an order ,just wanted to make sure I could get all the parts together before I commited

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-31-2010, 01:34 PM
thanks Bill , that's perfect !

yes please ! while you have the kit out.. if you can caliper the thickness of the diecut cards that would save me alot of guesstimation troubles.Or give me your best guess if you don't have a caliper.

in the instructions there is listed

die cut paper-

thin die cut-

medium die cut -

and thick die cut-

knowing the thickness's would help immensly !

no wonder clones of this kit are non-existant..lol

oh while I have you working now ..hehe I'm curious, what color is the circle behind the skull in your kit?

Circle is red behind the skull. I've got everything scanned, but it won't let me post them here due to size. PM me with your e-mail and I'll send them to you.
As for a caliper, I don't have one, but if you want, I'll snip a corner off each one and send it to you. Let me know.
These are actually the thin die cut and die cut paper scans. Medium and heavy were too big.

ScaleNut
01-31-2010, 03:21 PM
Thanks again Bill,
If It ends up I'm stuck by cardstock thickness , I may take you up on sending some samples.
I'll go ahead an PM you my address just incase

I'm planning to use cardstock,cardboard and matteboard for those parts, figuring thickness as I go .

If one popped up on greedbay for less $, that would help alot, but $40+ is alot to me.
unless I was to never open it . I leave that to the collectors.

The scans will help ALOT, they are much clearer and I can drop them into illustrator and modify my drawings in minutes rather than hours.

much appreciated !

actually,I'm not far from making a(non cryptic) complete parts list to upload with the templates

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-31-2010, 03:25 PM
Thanks again Bill,
If It ends up I'm stuck by cardstock thickness , I may take you up on sending some samples.
I'll go ahead an PM you my address just incase

I'm planning to use cardstock,cardboard and matteboard for those parts, figuring thickness as I go .

If one popped up on greedbay for less $, that would help alot, but $40+ is alot to me.
unless I was to never open it . I leave that to the collectors.

The scans will help ALOT, they are much clearer and I can drop them into illustrator and modify my drawings in minutes rather than hours.

much appreciated !

actually,I'm not far from making a(non cryptic) complete parts list to upload with the templates

I think mine was $20 years ago when they were all over the place. Never did get the Starfighter.

ScaleNut
01-31-2010, 03:44 PM
I like the starfighter, it's so over the top with the twin fusalage.

sandman
01-31-2010, 05:20 PM
I like the starfighter, it's so over the top with the twin fusalage.

Well, there is a whole thread on that one! That should make it easy.

OH, yea, I have the decals for that one too...actually that's the one that started this Buck Roger's thing.

ScaleNut
02-01-2010, 10:34 AM
I got the spelling wrong-- it's ---Marauder.
sorry about that.

ghrocketman
02-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Tons of those Buck Rogers kits still exist because like most other "movie/TV" related rockets, Centuri/Estes grossly over estimated the demand for them and got stuck with a warehouse full. The same thing happened with the original release and re-release of the Star Wars and Star Trek rockets, and the original Black Hole space probe (not nearly as bad as the first two). The only Star Wars rocket that is fairly rare is the X-Wing Maxi-Brute because that danged thing (like all Maxi Brutes) was so highly OVER priced for it's day and did not fly worth a hoot on the power Estes had available. Not that many sold or were produced.
The same thing occurred with the BSG Colonial Viper and Laser Torpedo, but on a much smaller scale as they only produced those in 1978 and only catalogued them through 1979.

Most that sell those Buck Rogers Rockets on ebay grossly overvalue their worth and most sit for a long time with NO sale. They are actually worth no more than about $25 as they are not rare at all and are widely avaialble. I would not pay even close to $40.