PDA

View Full Version : The Who?

kurtschachner
02-07-2010, 07:22 PM
Well, that was half-time entertainment. Wow, I'm no expert but if that wasn't one of the more horrid examples of lip syncing I've ever seen, then I don't know what is.

I know, I know. Most bands do this at least to some extent in venues like the Superbowl. But generally the vocals are live and the music is from the warm-up. But Roger Daltrey's lips matched his vocals about as well as a couple of socks put on in the dark.

At least the Rolling Stones from a few years ago were completely live. Sounded bad but it was real ;)

kurtschachner
02-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Oh and did Daltrey and Townshend look old! Wow!

Again, so did Jagger, Watts and Richards, but somehow it looked better on them.

BEC
02-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Sounds like I chose a good time to go burn some black powder over a local high school football field...:rolleyes: ;)

(and I only have one popped fin to fix)

shrox
02-07-2010, 09:33 PM

Again, so did Jagger, Watts and Richards, but somehow it looked better on them.

So it was scary and more like "The Boo!"

STRMan
02-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Sounds like I chose a good time to go burn some black powder over a local high school football field...:rolleyes: ;)

(and I only have one popped fin to fix)

Agreed!

CPMcGraw
02-07-2010, 09:48 PM
For the benefit of those who didn't watch the finish...

WHO DAT!!!???

31-17 Saints...

rokitflite
02-07-2010, 10:13 PM
I think Janet Jackson ruined the Super Bowl half time show for all future audiences. They seem to have gone way conservative with older performers. :D

rokitflite
02-07-2010, 10:14 PM

WHO DAT!!!???

31-17 Saints...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYvI_vtYeA8&feature=popular

Royatl
02-08-2010, 12:38 AM
I think Janet Jackson ruined the Super Bowl half time show for all future audiences. They seem to have gone way conservative with older performers. :D

ugh, don't get me started on how stupid all that was...

Ltvscout
02-08-2010, 07:37 AM
Ya, I was hoping for a great performance. Not!

The other thing was the oddball out of place twangs you'd hear come from Pete's guitar. I'm guessing they were trying to sync up the guitar playing as well.

Atrocious.

cas2047
02-08-2010, 08:07 AM
Ya, I was hoping for a great performance. Not!

So you missed the Lingerie Bowl then! :D

sandman
02-08-2010, 09:08 AM
I watcherd "The Puppy Bowl" on Animal Planet. :D

To me, THAT's entertainment.

tbzep
02-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Well, that was half-time entertainment. Wow, I'm no expert but if that wasn't one of the more horrid examples of lip syncing I've ever seen, then I don't know what is.

HUH??? That was live. Did you not hear all the mistakes that Townsend made on the guitar? He had tons of missed and muffed notes, and even came in early on one spot and had to hand mute it until he was supposed to come in. His singing was off key part of the time too. If they had been syncing the show, it would have been much cleaner. I didn't pay so much attention to Daltry, but he and Townsend sure did spit a lot to be syncing. :eek:

Edit: There were bits dubbed in, but they've always done that and have made no bones about it. They used to have lots of trouble with the pre-recorded intro of Baba O'Rielly breaking down in concerts. :p

rokitflite
02-08-2010, 09:54 AM
I kept expecting to see the CSI casts come out on stage :D

Bill
02-08-2010, 10:53 AM

Talk radio had a field day with that this morning:

See me
Feed me
Touch me
Change me

Bill

bob jablonski
02-08-2010, 11:03 AM
HUH??? That was live. Did you not hear all the mistakes that Townsend made on the guitar? He had tons of missed and muffed notes, and even came in early on one spot and had to hand mute it until he was supposed to come in. His singing was off key part of the time too. If they had been syncing the show, it would have been much cleaner. I didn't pay so much attention to Daltry, but he and Townsend sure did spit a lot to be syncing. :eek:

Edit: There were bits dubbed in, but they've always done that and have made no bones about it. They used to have lots of trouble with the pre-recorded intro of Baba O'Rielly breaking down in concerts. :p
I like the Who but Pete should not have tryed to sing. Roger was alright the guitar work was alright for live but when pete walked up to the mike......
Mr. Bob

tbzep
02-08-2010, 11:32 AM
I like the Who but Pete should not have tryed to sing. Roger was alright the guitar work was alright for live but when pete walked up to the mike......
Mr. Bob

Pete's a better guitar player now than he was "in his prime". Unfortunately, that makes him think he's got to throw in lots more notes than he used to, and he often botches it because of that. He's better off doing the sparse solos like he did years ago and making them sound really well today.

As for his voice, he can't hit the higher notes anymore and his voice cracks and/or goes off key. That messes up their harmonies and messes up his lead vocals. Perfect example, he had to change the way he sang "only teenage wasteland" before the drums kicked back in. The crowd sang it correctly, but he had to basically shout it instead of hitting the high notes. More proof that they weren't lip syncing. :p

Roger actually sounded pretty darn good for his age last night. I enjoyed seeing them live, even though they are older. "I hope I die before I get old". One of 'em did. I wish he was still around like the last two.

Geddy Lee can't hit his highest notes anymore and changes the way he sings stuff. Robert Plant declined a reunion tour because he said his voice couldn't do the material justice anymore. He still sings awesome, but not the high stuff that he did with Zep. Paul McCartney sounds rough these days on the higher stuff. The list goes on....but I still want to see and hear them all, especially since I couldn't see most of them when I was young.

kurtschachner
02-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Sure, sure. If you say so ;)

They don't lip sync to a studio cut but to the previous day's warm up. So it is "live" but not live.

Really though, if you watch Daltrey there are quite a few instances where his lips and his voice are way off. There was even one where he appears visibly rattled that he missed something and has to jump ahead mouth-wise, but the vocals are rolling on.

tbzep
02-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Sure, sure. If you say so ;)

They don't lip sync to a studio cut but to the previous day's warm up. So it is "live" but not live.

Really though, if you watch Daltrey there are quite a few instances where his lips and his voice are way off. There was even one where he appears visibly rattled that he missed something and has to jump ahead mouth-wise, but the vocals are rolling on.

Like I said, I didn't pay much attention to Daltry, but Pete was making lots of live mistakes that couldn't have been choreographed from mistakes on a "warm up". I watch guitar players closely so that I can see how they do some of the stuff that I can't get to sound just right when I play.

Doug Sams
02-08-2010, 12:00 PM
The crowd sang it correctly, but he had to basically shout it instead of hitting the high notes. More proof that they weren't lip syncing. http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif Whether they were live or on tape, or come combination of both, as is sometimes done to give a fuller, more robust sound (and to make up for old vocal cords http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/images/smilies/wink.gif as well as difficult environments), I was surprised at the selections. You pretty much had to be in your 40's to remember when these songs first came out, yet they're certainly trying to kick off some sort of big tour. So why didn't they, in the midst of 5 or 6 of their classics, throw in at least one new cut? Surely they've got some new material coming - you can't do a new tour without it, right? Or was the halftime show a one-off deal intended strictly for pumping sales of existing CD's (and not for kicking off a new tour/album)?

Doug

tbzep
02-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Whether they were live or on tape, or come combination of both, as is sometimes done to give a fuller, more robust sound (and to make up for old vocal cords http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/images/smilies/wink.gif as well as difficult environments), I was surprised at the selections. You pretty much had to be in your 40's to remember when these songs first came out, yet they're certainly trying to kick off some sort of big tour. So why didn't they, in the midst of 5 or 6 of their classics, throw in at least one new cut? Surely they've got some new material coming - you can't do a new tour without it, right? Or was the halftime show a one-off deal intended strictly for pumping sales of existing CD's (and not for kicking off a new tour/album)?

Doug

According to what I've read, their songs are on CBS's tv show CSI. I think it was basically a CBS promotion type thing. I don't watch the show, so I don't know how much of their songs are used on it.

bob jablonski
02-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Whether they were live or on tape, or come combination of both, as is sometimes done to give a fuller, more robust sound (and to make up for old vocal cords http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/images/smilies/wink.gif as well as difficult environments), I was surprised at the selections. You pretty much had to be in your 40's to remember when these songs first came out, yet they're certainly trying to kick off some sort of big tour. So why didn't they, in the midst of 5 or 6 of their classics, throw in at least one new cut? Surely they've got some new material coming - you can't do a new tour without it, right? Or was the halftime show a one-off deal intended strictly for pumping sales of existing CD's (and not for kicking off a new tour/album)?

Doug

Best to do old stand buys everyone knows then do a new song where everyone says Huh?
If going ontour again I think its the right move. But with Pete's voice I don't think I can spend hundreds like the last tour prices. (and no John or Keith!!)

rokitflite
02-08-2010, 02:13 PM
According to what I've read, their songs are on CBS's tv show CSI. I think it was basically a CBS promotion type thing. I don't watch the show, so I don't know how much of their songs are used on it.

See post #14... Basically every song they sang.

Mark II
02-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Pete's a better guitar player now than he was "in his prime". Unfortunately, that makes him think he's got to throw in lots more notes than he used to, and he often botches it because of that. He's better off doing the sparse solos like he did years ago and making them sound really well today.

As for his voice, he can't hit the higher notes anymore and his voice cracks and/or goes off key. That messes up their harmonies and messes up his lead vocals. Perfect example, he had to change the way he sang "only teenage wasteland" before the drums kicked back in. The crowd sang it correctly, but he had to basically shout it instead of hitting the high notes. More proof that they weren't lip syncing. :p Plus don't forget, he's DEAF! Kind of amazing that he can even perform at all.

Roger actually sounded pretty darn good for his age last night. I enjoyed seeing them live, even though they are older. "I hope I die before I get old". One of 'em did. I wish he was still around like the last two. Yup, The Who is just a two-man group now. The band that backs them up in concerts is composed of hired hands. It's just like if Paul and Ringo ever decided to tour as the Beatles again (which of course, they will never do again). Regardless of who toured with them with them, only the two of them could be called The Beatles. Same with Daltrey and Townshend.

I thought that they sounded pretty rough during "Pinball Wizard," but after that they seemed to get warmed up and into rhythm with each other. Even though they are old pros, I think that they were a bit nervous and too pumped up with adrenaline at first, which isn't surprising since I doubt that they play live very often anymore. I think that after they got rid of the butterflies, they settled into doing what they both knew so well. No, it wasn't the most awesome Super Bowl halftime concert that I have ever seen - Prince's show in 2007 (coincidentally, the last time that the Colts played for the championship) easily beats out anything ever done before or since, at least in my book - but they weren't horrible, and it was nice to see them play again. That stage they played on was pretty cool, too.

MarkII

tbzep
02-08-2010, 03:23 PM
He has fairly severe tinnitus, but I'm not sure how deaf he is.

The band does stay somewhat in the family. Pete's brother is the second guitarist. Zak (Ringo's son) has been in the band for a good 15 years and his godfather was Keith Moon.

Speaking of that stage...

I'd love to be rich and have a music room with a floor like that. I can imagine listening to Zeppelin, Floyd, the Who, etc. in the room with nothing but the sound system and a chair. :cool:

Mark II
02-08-2010, 03:33 PM

Doug

.No one ever does that in a halftime show. It's only a very abbreviated appearance, with just enough time for them to run through a quick medley of their hits.

BTW, Who's Next was released just about one month after I graduated from high school. (Yeah, I kind of still think of it as their "new" album :chuckle: .) I never bought it, not because I didn't like it (I loved it) but because I didn't need to. Everywhere I went, such as in the car listening to the radio, at every single dorm party in college, walking through the quad on Saturday afternoons, etc., I heard it playing. Same with Quadraphenia. One of the guys in the dorm suite that I was in during my 3rd year of college played the entire album -AT FULL BLAST!!- ... Every... Single... Evening... [groan!] throughout the entire school year while he studied. :rolleyes: (Then he did the same thing with the Allman Bros.) It must have worked for him, too, because he got good grades. At the end of the year he offered to sell the album to anyone else in the suite. He got no takers. :D

MarkII

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-08-2010, 05:04 PM

Doug

The new stuff they've done has been pretty weak. Endless Wire was barely listenable except for a couple of cuts, and the new stuff they did for the endless greatest hits vehicles was occasionally entertaining to old farts, but wouldn't interest anyone under 40. I thought they did a pretty decent job of hacking their way through their twelve minutes. As for the comments on Pete's voice, a big part of what you heard from him is the same thing you'd have heard from any vocalist approaching 70. (Dylan, Van Morrison, etc.) Pete's voice was never his strongest attribute. His guitar playing, songwriting and showmanship were what he contributed. I think the worst thing about his performance last night was that he didn't wear an undershirt. :eek: :D
Doug, I think they've got a new "LIVE" greatest hits package out, which is what this was meant to sell. They were playing a lot of it last night on XM 40, which is WHO RADIO for the time being.

snaquin
02-08-2010, 06:03 PM

WHO DAT!!!???

31-17 Saints...

SAINTS DAT !

It still seems surreal to me. All of it. The season. The play off wins. The Superbowl. I still can't believe our Saints won the Superbowl.

The crowds waiting at the N.O. International Airport were unreal. Someone emailed a picture to me while I was at work today and the streets were filled with fans waiting for the team to arrive at the airport this afternoon.

A very exiting game indeed!

:D

Mark II
02-08-2010, 06:22 PM
SAINTS DAT !

It still seems surreal to me. All of it. The season. The play off wins. The Superbowl. I still can't believe our Saints won the Superbowl.

The crowds waiting at the N.O. International Airport were unreal. Someone emailed a picture to me while I was at work today and the streets were filled with fans waiting for the team to arrive at the airport this afternoon.

A very exiting game indeed!

:DIt WAS a great game, even for those of us who had no preference for the outcome. The Saints won everyone's respect for their talent, doggedness, creativity, gutsy coaching calls and their heart, all of which were on display in last night's game. They truly deserved the win.

MarkII

snaquin
02-08-2010, 06:23 PM
No one ever does that in a halftime show. It's only a very abbreviated appearance, with just enough time for them to run through a quick medley of their hits.

BTW, Who's Next was released just about one month after I graduated from high school. (Yeah, I kind of still think of it as their "new" album :chuckle: .) I never bought it, not because I didn't like it (I loved it) but because I didn't need to. Everywhere I went, such as in the car listening to the radio, at every single dorm party in college, walking through the quad on Saturday afternoons, etc., I heard it playing. Same with Quadraphenia. One of the guys in the dorm suite that I was in during my 3rd year of college played the entire album -AT FULL BLAST!!- ... Every... Single... Evening... [groan!] throughout the entire school year while he studied. :rolleyes: (Then he did the same thing with the Allman Bros.) It must have worked for him, too, because he got good grades. At the end of the year he offered to sell the album to anyone else in the suite. He got no takers. :D

MarkII

A good friend of mine in high school was an avid Who fan. My first exposure to them was Who's Next, Quadrophenia and Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy. Every time I went to his house he had a Who album on or some new trivia or news about the band. I seem to remember an 8-track of Who's Next pretty much stuck in the player on a constant loop most of the time.

There's and old concert I've caught on one of the HD channels once or twice. I belive it's the Isle of Wight Festival from 1970. Not the best quality but an awesome performance by the Who. I need to look for it again so I can record it. A lot of the Tommy stuff performed in that concert.

Mark II
02-08-2010, 06:26 PM
A good friend of mine in high school was an avid Who fan. My first exposure to them was Who's Next, Quadrophenia and Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy. Every time I went to his house he had a Who album on or some new trivia or news about the band. I seem to remember an 8-track of Who's Next pretty much stuck in the player on a constant loop most of the time.

There's and old concert I've caught on one of the HD channels once or twice. I belive it's the Isle of Wight Festival from 1970. Not the best quality but an awesome performance by the Who. I need to look for it again so I can record it. A lot of the Tommy stuff performed in that concert.

.Live at Leeds? That is one of only two Who albums that I have, the other being Tommy.

MarkII

dtomko
02-08-2010, 09:44 PM
No tour planned from what I've read. Daltrey has a lot of trouble with his voice and Pete has been having shoulder problems in addition to the hearing issues. They'll benefit from the "Superbowl bump" in sales that apparently every act has gotten in the last few years. BTW, I think Zak fits their style better than Kenny Jones did, but it's tough to replicate the messy all over the place stuff that Keith Moon played.

I'm amazed any of these guys can sing anywhere near what they did 30-40 years ago. They're all pushing 70! I saw Paul McCartney live this fall and he was fantastic - sounded great although his voice cracked at times when he went for the high stuff. He had a great backup band that's been with him for a few years.

There was a lot of chatter on a few forums when Zeppelin played that one-off show and Page and Jones tuned down a step to accommodate Plant's limited range.

It's kind of strange watching rockers age. It was supposed to be a young person's genre . . .

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-08-2010, 09:52 PM
No tour planned from what I've read. Daltrey has a lot of trouble with his voice and Pete has been having shoulder problems in addition to the hearing issues. They'll benefit from the "Superbowl bump" in sales that apparently every act has gotten in the last few years. BTW, I think Zak fits their style better than Kenny Jones did, but it's tough to replicate the messy all over the place stuff that Keith Moon played.

I'm amazed any of these guys can sing anywhere near what they did 30-40 years ago. They're all pushing 70! I saw Paul McCartney live this fall and he was fantastic - sounded great although his voice cracked at times when he went for the high stuff. He had a great backup band that's been with him for a few years.

There was a lot of chatter on a few forums when Zeppelin played that one-off show and Page and Jones tuned down a step to accommodate Plant's limited range.

It's kind of strange watching rockers age. It was supposed to be a young person's genre . . .

Now the young person's genres are rap and disposable pop. Twenty years from now we'll be suffering through halftime shows with a doddering 50 cent and a sagging Miley Cyrus. :D ;)

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-08-2010, 09:54 PM
I'd like to see Cheap Trick or Rush do the halftime show next year. :cool:

tbzep
02-08-2010, 10:04 PM

It's hard for any "normal" drummer to do fills when the band is singing and play sparsely when they stop. That's backwards from "normal". :D

Plants range wasn't the same in 1980 when Bonham died as it was in 1968 when the band came together. He was already having trouble with the highest stuff. He still sings great, though. Listen to him with Alison Krause or with The Strange Sensation. He proved he still has "it" whether it's ethnic music or wide open rock, even if those highest notes aren't there anymore. :cool:

dtomko
02-08-2010, 10:23 PM
True enough on both counts!

Plant started having trouble with the high notes in '73! Some of the '73 European shows are a little, er, awkward. But he figured it out and adapted. His voice is still distinctive and strong.

Daltrey still sounded like Daltrey and Pete sounded like Pete, rougher and older. Maybe they shouldn't try to do what they used to do, though.

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-08-2010, 10:31 PM
True enough on both counts!

Plant started having trouble with the high notes in '73! Some of the '73 European shows are a little, er, awkward. But he figured it out and adapted. His voice is still distinctive and strong.

Daltrey still sounded like Daltrey and Pete sounded like Pete, rougher and older. Maybe they shouldn't try to do what they used to do, though.

I did notice that Roger was trying to do some kind of marching in place/kick step, but I never saw him swing the microphone. And now that I mention it, did the mike even have a cord?

Mark II
02-08-2010, 11:24 PM
I did notice that Roger was trying to do some kind of marching in place/kick step, but I never saw him swing the microphone. And now that I mention it, did the mike even have a cord?Now that would have made the show if he had absent-mindlessly tried to swing a cordless mic... Also, I never thought that I would ever see a rocker up on stage performing while wearing bifocals. :chuckle:

MarkII

Mark II
02-08-2010, 11:29 PM
I'm amazed any of these guys can sing anywhere near what they did 30-40 years ago. They're all pushing 70!

It's kind of strange watching rockers age. It was supposed to be a young person's genre . . .Yeah, it won't be too long now before they have to change the song to "Who Am I?" ;)

MarkII

blackshire
02-09-2010, 06:48 AM
-SNIP- I'm amazed any of these guys can sing anywhere near what they did 30-40 years ago. They're all pushing 70! -SNIP-The Ventures (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ventures ) don't have that problem! :-)

rokitflite
02-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Yeah, it won't be too long now before they have to change the song to "Who Am I?" ;)

MarkII

COLD-BLOODED!!! :eek:

bob jablonski
02-09-2010, 09:13 AM
The last couple years I've seen the following geazer bands. Ted Nugent Still rockes and Can sing. Richie Blackmore He dosnt sing but he can play a mean guitar. The Sweet All new members except for Mr. Priest he can still play the bass and sing decent. And Ronny James Dio can still sing but he is fighting stomach cancer.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude

tbzep
02-09-2010, 10:37 AM
The last couple years I've seen the following geazer bands. Ted Nugent Still rockes and Can sing. Richie Blackmore He dosnt sing but he can play a mean guitar. The Sweet All new members except for Mr. Priest he can still play the bass and sing decent. And Ronny James Dio can still sing but he is fighting stomach cancer.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude

The Nuge was smart enough to have other people sing the stuff in the higher registers and keep his vocals down in the predatory animal range, even early in his career. Smart guy. :cool:

kurtschachner
02-09-2010, 11:20 AM
The last couple years I've seen the following geazer bands.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude

What else is there? I have two teenage daughters, and even they and their friends listen to a fair number of songs that were written and performed when I was a teen (or earlier).

Back a few years ago when the Rolling Stones were the halftime act we had just gotten our first HD flat-screen TV and we hosted a superbowl party. My daughters were already familiar with the Stones as well as a host of other geezer bands. In fact, one of my daughters said one day, "all the guys dad listens to are dead!" Not exactly correct but getting there.

Anyway when the Rolling Stones came on (and especially when Mick took off his jacket) my daughters were at least somewhat prepared for what they were going to observe. But you should have seen a couple of the younger teen girls in the room. They sat, mouths agape and eyes bugging out, watching this spectacle of ancient men prancing around stage on the nice clear HDTV. It was actually pretty funny. It even did disturb my youngest daughter a bit, to this day she calls the Stones "The Flab" because of Jagger's somewhat sagging biceps.

DaveR
02-09-2010, 11:20 AM
The Nuge .......
Now there' s a real American, love that guy. I've seen him several times, absolutely blistering guitar solos.

dtomko
02-09-2010, 01:00 PM
What else is there? I have two teenage daughters, and even they and their friends listen to a fair number of songs that were written and performed when I was a teen (or earlier).

Back a few years ago when the Rolling Stones were the halftime act we had just gotten our first HD flat-screen TV and we hosted a superbowl party. My daughters were already familiar with the Stones as well as a host of other geezer bands. In fact, one of my daughters said one day, "all the guys dad listens to are dead!" Not exactly correct but getting there.

Anyway when the Rolling Stones came on (and especially when Mick took off his jacket) my daughters were at least somewhat prepared for what they were going to observe. But you should have seen a couple of the younger teen girls in the room. They sat, mouths agape and eyes bugging out, watching this spectacle of ancient men prancing around stage on the nice clear HDTV. It was actually pretty funny. It even did disturb my youngest daughter a bit, to this day she calls the Stones "The Flab" because of Jagger's somewhat sagging biceps.

And yet the number 1 single on the planet right now by Ke$ha (yes, that's how she spells it) includes the lines:
"Now, the dudes are lining up cause they hear we got swagger
But we kick ‘em to the curb unless they look like Mick Jagger"

Go figure.

Shreadvector
02-09-2010, 01:37 PM

I thought the Superbowl got into big trouble over sagging pecs, not sagging biceps?

CaninoBD
02-09-2010, 05:22 PM
I watcherd "The Puppy Bowl" on Animal Planet. :D

To me, THAT's entertainment.

I usually try to tune in to that at some point, but I totally forgot this year. In the past Harry the K (RIP) did the voice over. Did they reuse his old voice overs or did they have someone new this year?

snaquin
02-09-2010, 06:09 PM
The Nuge was smart enough to have other people sing the stuff in the higher registers and keep his vocals down in the predatory animal range, even early in his career. Smart guy. :cool:

I saw Ted Nugent with Darn Yankees when they toured with Bad Company. Great concert. Only time I ever saw the Nuge and Tommy Shaw live. I was really impressed with their live performance.

They recorded part of the High Enough video in a few minutes away from where I worked back in 1991. I couldn't get near enough by car that afternoon but somehow my buddy managed to get there early and got all their autographs.

(I had to say Darn it blocked me for cussin')

pantherjon
02-10-2010, 04:18 PM
A couple years ago I went and saw Styx in concert..Good rockin from some 50+ year old dudes that were big when I was in high school 30 years ago..Saw Elton John just last year and he still rocks, can't hit the high notes, but doesn't really 'try', adjusts the key of the song to fit and goes with it..Personally, I was a bit 'underwhelmed' by The Who's performance as I was for the Stones when they did their Super Bowl halftime show..

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-10-2010, 05:20 PM
My wife is a big Pat Benatar fan, and I'm a big fan of my wife, so we've went and saw her a few years ago. Her opening act was Night Ranger, a band that I knew four or five songs from, but of whom I never considered myself a big fan. They played as long as Pat and absolutely blew her off the stage. Jack Blades was all over the stage, climbing things like he was thirty years younger than he actually was. They sounded great and I knew all but about one or two songs. As soon as I got home I started hunting down their albums.
BTW, we saw Pat again in 2008. She did almost the exact same show that she did in 2003. :mad:

kurtschachner
02-10-2010, 05:31 PM
I'd like to see Cheap Trick or Rush do the halftime show next year. :cool:

You know, Cheap Trick still has a pretty good touring schedule. In fact, they are performing twice here in Milwaukee in March. I was actually thinking of going. Hey Scott, how about it :D

I saw Cheap Trick at Alpine Valley back in the early '80s. The bus from Alpine Valley only took you so far back into Milwaukee, and we missed the last bus back to our college dorms. We didn't have any money either, so we ended up walking the 15 miles in the middle of the night. Not so safe neighborhoods along the way either, but we had the advantage of being pretty ignorant of that aspect. IIRC it took about 5 hours to make the trek.

kgrimm
02-10-2010, 05:35 PM
...and to think back in the 60's The Who sang "I hope I die before I get old" (from "My Generation"). :eek:

tbzep
02-10-2010, 05:40 PM
My wife is a big Pat Benatar fan, and I'm a big fan of my wife, so we've went and saw her a few years ago. Her opening act was Night Ranger, a band that I knew four or five songs from, but of whom I never considered myself a big fan. They played as long as Pat and absolutely blew her off the stage. Jack Blades was all over the stage, climbing things like he was thirty years younger than he actually was. They sounded great and I knew all but about one or two songs. As soon as I got home I started hunting down their albums.
BTW, we saw Pat again in 2008. She did almost the exact same show that she did in 2003. :mad:

Brad Gillis, one of the two original guitarists, is still with the band. He had an unenviable filling in on Ozzy's tour when Randy Rhodes died. He's a very good guitarist. He had to be to finish Ozzy's tour without getting pummelled.

tbzep
02-10-2010, 05:41 PM
You know, Cheap Trick still has a pretty good touring schedule.

Rick Neilsen is another guitarist who's chops are considerably better now than when he and the rest of Cheap Trick were "in their prime".

Ltvscout
02-10-2010, 05:56 PM
You know, Cheap Trick still has a pretty good touring schedule. In fact, they are performing twice here in Milwaukee in March. I was actually thinking of going. Hey Scott, how about it :D
I think I still have my Dream Police album around here somewhere.

I'm more of an AC/DC kind of guy. They'll be here in April.

tbzep
02-10-2010, 05:58 PM

I still have my 8-tracks of both Dream Police and Back in Black.

Ltvscout
02-10-2010, 05:59 PM
I still have my 8-tracks of both Dream Police and Back in Black.
I believe I still have Styx - Grand Illusion on 8-track.

kurtschachner
02-10-2010, 06:19 PM

But do you have anything to play it on?

Back in the '70s my dad had a two-door Gran Torino with an 8-track player. Oh it was SO cool. IIRC Ford gave you some sort of "hits" tape when you bought the car, we had that one plus a bunch I recorded for my dad. You had to think ahead when recording 8-tracks, so the songs didn't span a track unless absolutely necessary.

tbzep
02-10-2010, 06:25 PM

Back in the '70s my dad had a two-door Gran Torino with an 8-track player. Oh it was SO cool. IIRC Ford gave you some sort of "hits" tape when you bought the car, we had that one plus a bunch I recorded for my dad. You had to think ahead when recording 8-tracks, so the songs didn't span a track unless absolutely necessary.

My first stereo is in my parent's basement. One side of the pre-amp is toast, but it still plays if you like hearing half the music. My brother's vintage early 70's underdash Craig is still up there too. It was still working when he removed it.

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-10-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm more of an AC/DC kind of guy.

:eek: Pardon me while I cinch up.
Not that there's anything wrong with that. :rolleyes:

I gave my Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight 8-tracks to a girl I worked with in the early 80's. She had a Maverick with an 8-track in-dash. Must have been a killer car in the day. (The day ten years before that day. :D ) I think the only ones I have left are a Robin Trower (Long Misty Days), Badfinger (Airwaves) and Cheap Trick (In Color), but I haven't seen them since we moved.

Ltvscout
02-10-2010, 09:33 PM

Heh, no. My first car, a '73 Chevelle SS, which had the 8-track is long gone. My dad had a 8-track player as part of his home stereo setup but my mom got rid of all that after he died.

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-10-2010, 09:41 PM
My first stereo is in my parent's basement. One side of the pre-amp is toast, but it still plays if you like hearing half the music. My brother's vintage early 70's underdash Craig is still up there too. It was still working when he removed it.

When I started working at the bank in college, we did the branch pickups on Saturday afternoons. There were three cars available to us at the time, two Chevy Caprice Classics and a Cutlass Supreme. All of them were pretty nice cars, highly optioned with top of the line stereos. The Cutlass had a blown channel in the stereo, not a big deal most of the time, but occasionally noticeable. One day one of the guys whose place I was taking was training me on the northern branch route. It was a really nice late summer Saturday, and we drove around with the windows down the whole day. As we were pulling off of the highway to service our Colerain Avenue branch, "Eminence Front" came on to radio. If you know the song, you know it has a long instrumental lead-in before any vocals begin. I had the stereo cranked to just shy of pain level, and we didn't notice the absence of vocals until both Greg and I started to sing along when they were supposed to start. We looked at each other in shock, laughing, but kept on singing all the way down Colerain Avenue. The song was nearing its end when we pulled into the branch parking lot, and as I pulled into the space, we were still singing, too into the moment to care that the ladies who worked the branch were coming out into the lot heading for their cars. They just stood there listening to us make fool of ourselves for the last thirty seconds or so of the song. When the song ended, I shut the car off and got out, giving them my best Jagger-esque "Allo ladies" as I passed. :cool: :rolleyes: Being the new guy, I didn't know any of them, but Greg had been doing the runs for years and was fairly embarrassed. We got rid of the Cutlass soon after that, but whenever I hear the opening bars of "Eminence Front", I wonder if I'm going to have to jump in and do the vocals again. ;)

Doug Sams
02-10-2010, 09:52 PM
<snip great story>Where's the LIKE button? :D

Doug

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Heh, no. My first car, a '73 Chevelle SS, which had the 8-track is long gone. My dad had a 8-track player as part of his home stereo setup but my mom got rid of all that after he died.

This was the one I had: http://www.8trackheaven.com/Images/red8track-2.gif
I would open the player, lay down on the floor with one speaker next to each ear, and listen to Rush - 2112 at full blast. It's a wonder I can hear at all. :D

pantherjon
02-11-2010, 06:19 AM

I was finally able to complete my collection of all the Styx albums on vinyl last year!:D Still even have my ol turntable too! Tho, I need to get a new stylus for it..

Originally Posted by Ltvscout

Saw those AC/DC blokes back in October..WOW..What a show! Ears were ringing for 2 days afterwards! :eek: (Was cool having close seats :chuckle: ) And then there was Angus 'mooning' the crowd!

Ltvscout
02-11-2010, 06:59 AM
Saw those AC/DC blokes back in October..WOW..What a show! Ears were ringing for 2 days afterwards! :eek: (Was cool having close seats :chuckle: ) And then there was Angus 'mooning' the crowd!
Would you say the show is inappropriate for a 12yr old? My son really likes them as well.

pantherjon
02-11-2010, 07:35 AM
Would you say the show is inappropriate for a 12yr old? My son really likes them as well.

I don't think so...Brian Johnson did grab his crotch a couple times(tho no more then Micheal Jackson did in his concerts), and a couple 'F' bombs were dropped..Angus' 'mooning' was him dropping his shorts to show his underwear emblazened with the AC/DC logo ..I took my 16yr old daughter and saw quite a few younger tikes in the audience..

rangerstl
02-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Worst things I witnessed at AC/DC concerts;

The afore-mentioned "F"-bombs. No big deal.

Gigantic lingerie-clad inflating woman for "Whole Lotta Rosie" and "She Got the Jack". That will leave an image burned in your mind for sure. That was Razor's Edge, though. That might not be in this setup.

Rowdy crowd smoking pot and drinking whiskey they sneak in... be vigilant.

First thing the band does before a song is light up a couple cigarettes and clip them under the strings on the guitar head, and take drags between songs... Again socially frowned-upon nowadays, but no big deal.

His moon at the Saint Louis "Ball Breaker" tour concert was UK flag boxers... I about died laughing.

Take earplugs and USE THEM. It is LOUD and there is no sense risking a 12 year-old's hearing. You can EASILY hear the music plenty loud enough with earplugs in.

If the content of their music being a bit "randy" doesn't bother you, the concerts should be fine. You are at more risk from interacting with the crowds than from your son being exposed to the music and the band.

N

Les
02-13-2010, 11:28 AM
On a slightly unrelated note...

There is a report that Daltrey & Townshend were recently arrested. They were part of an animals activist group that broke into an animal shelter and released several animals scheduled to be euthanized. An anonymous offical stated:
"The Who let the dogs out"

sorry
:chuckle:

BEC
02-13-2010, 04:57 PM
sorry
:chuckle:

I doubt it....:D

kurtschachner
04-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Speaking of The Who, I heard on the radio that Roger Daltrey is coming to Summerfest, opening for/headlining with Eric Clapton. No mention of Pete Townshend unfortunately so it isn't "The Who", but at least Daltrey is touring a bit.

Ltvscout
04-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Speaking of The Who, I heard on the radio that Roger Daltrey is coming to Summerfest, opening for/headlining with Eric Clapton. No mention of Pete Townshend unfortunately so it isn't "The Who", but at least Daltrey is touring a bit.
Forget Daltrey. RUSH is coming to Summerfest! They're going to play the whole Moving Pictures album.

pantherjon
04-14-2010, 07:02 AM
Forget Daltrey. RUSH is coming to Summerfest! They're going to play the whole Moving Pictures album.
:eek: :eek: :eek: Would love to be there!...Now, as soon as I win the lotto!:chuckle: