PDA

View Full Version : A few new builds

SEL
02-21-2010, 10:48 PM
I've been on a bit of a building frenzy while watching the Olympics this week.
That's the FSI Penetrator clone on the left, a US rockets Fire and Forget (thanks Steve!)
in the middle and a SEMROC Constellation on the right. The Penetrator is to fly the new Quest D5's on.
The Fire and Forget @3.2 oz.'s may be a bit too heavy for them, tho the Estes E9 should be fun.

S

snaquin
02-22-2010, 08:09 PM
I've been on a bit of a building frenzy while watching the Olympics this week.
That's the FSI Penetrator clone on the left, a US rockets Fire and Forget (thanks Steve!)
in the middle and a SEMROC Constellation on the right. The Penetrator is to fly the new Quest D5's on.
The Fire and Forget @3.2 oz.'s may be a bit too heavy for them, tho the Estes E9 should be fun.

S

You're welcome! :)

FSI Penetrator was always one of my favorites. Given the performance of the old FSI low thrust D4-6 and E5-6 motors in the Penetrator I would think the new Quest D5's should be like stepping back into the past as far as the flight profile. Please take pictures ;)

I think the Constellation was my second or third rocket I ever built. I really didn't do the teardrop shapes on the fins very well and unfortunately I've never tried to build another. Do you have a paint scheme picked out for that one? My original was hand brush painted with purple dope with a black nose cone.

Ok, now what rockets are you hiding behind that monitor .....

SEL
02-22-2010, 09:17 PM
You're welcome! :)

FSI Penetrator was always one of my favorites. Given the performance of the old FSI low thrust D4-6 and E5-6 motors in the Penetrator I would think the new Quest D5's should be like stepping back into the past as far as the flight profile. Please take pictures ;) .

My thoughts exactly. I mentioned in another thread that I mistakenly used Carls ST-8 instead of the 8F FSI repalcement tube, so I just plugged on a old Centuri PC-89 (I think) for the time being. I'll dig out a more suitable (read: one that I won't mind losing ;)) nose cone out of storage later this week. I'm looking forward to the D5 flight.

I think the Constellation was my second or third rocket I ever built. I really didn't do the teardrop shapes on the fins very well and unfortunately I've never tried to build another. Do you have a paint scheme picked out for that one? My original was hand brush painted with purple dope with a black nose cone..

My first Constellation was the free one Estes gave out with a $10.00 order.
I think I must have bought 2 or 3 more after that. This one is the SEMROC clone and I'll give it the traditional red and white paint scheme with the black roll pattern.

Ahh, you saw those. The one on the right is a old Estes D-Region Tomahawk that's been waiting for a paint job these past 20-odd years.
The rocket in the middle is a built up I bought off of ebay 5 or 6 years ago,
made up of Centuri Mini-Max era parts (see attached). Next is a SEMROC Aero Dart, and the far left is a BMS Viking 1 clone.

How 'bout you - been building anything lately?

S.

Green Dragon
02-23-2010, 11:29 AM
teasing us again Sean .

no closeups of the birds you describe - esp the Mini Max parts one ;)

and now new teaser pic ... hmm... I recognize the Composite Dynamics bird ( forget which one that is, without looking, my bad - the '40' , iirc ) .
speaking of which I still need to get you some cones, need to find the translucent resin.....

one on left looks like a sky hook . center one - who knows.......

been tinkering here lately with work slow :( . but not much in the way of vintage HPR.. did paint the years old Loc Aura, and almost done with my Custom Rockets Landviper ( pics soon, promise ) .

still need to follow up on the vintage caalogs a local guy has, Astro Dynamics, XPRS, lot of begining hpr stuff. - I;d love to clone some of those, might have to build one from pics - see the old Astro Dynamics ads on Model Rocketeer back covers, circa 1981-82. :D

maybe if I get ambitious this afternoon will dig some half done birds back out :)

~ AL

SEL
02-23-2010, 12:11 PM
teasing us again Sean .

no closeups of the birds you describe - esp the Mini Max parts one ;)

and now new teaser pic ... hmm... I recognize the Composite Dynamics bird ( forget which one that is, without looking, my bad - the '40' , iirc ) .
speaking of which I still need to get you some cones, need to find the translucent resin.....

one on left looks like a sky hook . center one - who knows.......

Sorry... the center one is the Mini-Max parts rocket. That's the only pic I had handy. I bought the CD rocket and the parts rocket in the same ebay lot. $11.00 I think..

S

Ltvscout
02-23-2010, 03:52 PM
and almost done with my Custom Rockets Landviper ( pics soon, promise ) .
That's a cool one that someone should start selling a clone of.

SEL
02-23-2010, 04:04 PM

Is the Landviper the 3-motor cluster?

S.

Ltvscout
02-23-2010, 04:09 PM

S.
Ja wohl!

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-23-2010, 04:38 PM

I went through a Custom cloning phase a couple of years back after buying a bunch of cones from Custom. I thought I had the parts needed for the Landviper, but the nose cone isn't available from them. (I mixed the Landviper and another bird up.) I still have the nose cones for a Stealth Interceptor to replace my battered 2001 hobby store find and a Matra. Those old mid-90's Custom designs were really great. Wonder why they don't reissue them since they have a parts supply for many of them?

Doug Sams
02-23-2010, 05:15 PM
I went through a Custom cloning phase a couple of years back after buying a bunch of cones from Custom. (snip)Those old mid-90's Custom designs were really great. Wonder why they don't reissue them since they have a parts supply for many of them?I respect your like for them, Bill, but my experience has been just the opposite. By the time I BAR'd in 99, most of those higher end kits were gone, and they were down to about 8 or 9 cheap kits that had many parts shared between them. The Aztec and Sam-X, for example, have lots of the same parts. My take was that they had stream-lined their portfolio down to the cheapest kits since that's what usually sells at the big box stores, HL included.

What I didn't like was that the parts didn't fit all that well. Nosecones were kinda loose, IMO. The tubes were good, tho. But I felt they were very 3FNC, and marginal in operation. The aforementioned 2-stagers were noted for stability issues. And the Twister...didn't twist http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Then I heard of some games they were playing on their mom-and-pop retailers, like double shipping so they could double bill. That combined with a non-existent web presence when so many other kit vendors were there, and I couldn't find much respect for them.

So it's hard for me to appreciate their good stuff now. I never encounterd it. But I do have an unfinished Aztec - modified for Apogee Micro motors http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/images/smilies/smile.gif - and a Tri Star in the unfinished pile...for about 9 years now http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

Doug

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-23-2010, 05:36 PM
I respect your like for them, Bill, but my experience has been just the opposite. By the time I BAR'd in 99, most of those higher end kits were gone, and they were down to about 8 or 9 cheap kits that had many parts shared between them. The Aztec and Sam-X, for example, have lots of the same parts. My take was that they had stream-lined their portfolio down to the cheapest kits since that's what usually sells at the big box stores, HL included.

What I didn't like was that the parts didn't fit all that well. Nosecones were kinda loose, IMO. The tubes were good, tho. But I felt they were very 3FNC, and marginal in operation. The aforementioned 2-stagers were noted for stability issues. And the Twister...didn't twist http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Then I heard of some games they were playing on their mom-and-pop retailers, like double shipping so they could double bill. That combined with a non-existent web presence when so many other kit vendors were there, and I couldn't find much respect for them.

So it's hard for me to appreciate their good stuff now. I never encounterd it. But I do have an unfinished Aztec - modified for Apogee Micro motors http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/images/smilies/smile.gif - and a Tri Star in the unfinished pile...for about 9 years now http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

Doug

Yeah, they had some parts issues and I don't doubt that they had vendor issues, but some of the kits were pretty sharp. Check out the Bullet, Satellite Drone, Matra, Dynamic Carrier and Stealth Interceptor. I've built a Bullet, got a Satellite Drone and Dynamic Carrier almost finished, and flew a Stealth Interceptor to death. I think I'll get working on the Matra next since I've got the parts. I don't think much of the current offerings, but some of the kits from the first catalog are worth a look.

Doug Sams
02-23-2010, 06:11 PM
...and flew a Stealth Interceptor to death.I get the impression lots of your birds meet their end that way http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/images/smilies/smile.gif What's your build to retention yield? I'd say that, in 10+ years of BAR-dom, I've still got more than 95% of all my builds still in the cabinet. I've only lost five or six in that time, and totalled two or three more. (Not counting rebuilt totals.) After that, I've got maybe two that are worn out. Pretty much everything else is still on-hand and flyable.

(I know that sets you up to say, "Sams, you're not trying hard enough!" http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Doug

garmtn
02-23-2010, 06:21 PM
Here r my builds: "CW Saucer", short for cool whip, under construction, then in flight; Dual 13mm cluster called "Star-Chaser"; Quest Commander; And all four including a "Screech, labeled "Iniator." :D

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-23-2010, 07:17 PM
I get the impression lots of your birds meet their end that way http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/images/smilies/smile.gif What's your build to retention yield? I'd say that, in 10+ years of BAR-dom, I've still got more than 95% of all my builds still in the cabinet. I've only lost five or six in that time, and totalled two or three more. (Not counting rebuilt totals.) After that, I've got maybe two that are worn out. Pretty much everything else is still on-hand and flyable.

(I know that sets you up to say, "Sams, you're not trying hard enough!" http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Doug

Nah, I lose more than I kill. The ones that die go that route when I listen to some idiots who talk me into using an Aerotech 18mm D which proceeds to confetti-ize it. :mad: ;)

Green Dragon
02-23-2010, 08:10 PM

S.

Yes, thats the 3 x 18mm cluster bird.

and as for the cones - this one uses what appears to be Estes cone - Big Bertha cone.

I need to work up some decals - the decals included did NOT includde the roll pattern wraps shown in the catalog, just the kit name decal ( which I have scanned for Yorp, I think Scott posted it ) .

pics soon, promise.

~ AL

SEL
02-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Nah, I lose more than I kill. The ones that die go that route when I listen to some idiots who talk me into using an Aerotech 18mm D which proceeds to confetti-ize it. :mad: ;)

Did I ever tell you about the Estes Aloha?:o

S

Green Dragon
02-23-2010, 08:26 PM

S

you need to wrap that in carbon, I think.

then find one of those old 18mm E45s........

~ AL

SEL
02-23-2010, 08:31 PM
you need to wrap that in carbon, I think.

then find one of those old 18mm E45s........

~ AL

A D21 ripped the fins off of the Aloha. It would have disintegrated on a E45 :eek:

S.

kurtschachner
02-23-2010, 09:30 PM

S

Heh, I actually laughed out loud at that one :D

SEL
02-24-2010, 02:18 AM
Heh, I actually laughed out loud at that one :D

I'm still laughing :).

While we're talking about Custom kits: While waiting for the glue to dry on the
Fire and Forget, I pulled the Custom Elite out from under a pile of stuff. I bought this one 4 or 5 years ago and promptly forgot about it.
So, left to right: an original FSI Viking II, the BMS Viking I clone and the Custom Elite egg lofter. I'm gonna have a lot of painting to do come springtime.

S.

Rocketflyer
02-24-2010, 07:03 AM
[big snip]

You noticed that too, eh Steve? The guy's holdin' out on us! :chuckle: :chuckle:

Love the Penetrator. I got an original from Barone, and flew it on a D10 at NARAM 50.
What a flight!! It was found over 1/2 mile down the road. It had a cut down chute to 9 inches. It's retired.

Green Dragon
02-24-2010, 08:58 AM
I'm still laughing :).

While we're talking about Custom kits: While waiting for the glue to dry on the
Fire and Forget, I pulled the Custom Elite out from under a pile of stuff. I bought this one 4 or 5 years ago and promptly forgot about it.
So, left to right: an original FSI Viking II, the BMS Viking I clone and the Custom Elite egg lofter. I'm gonna have a lot of painting to do come springtime.

S.

Sean, you are holding out on us :P

actually , this pic is one I had hoped for - the Viking II Is 21mm, correct ?

so here is a photo of a vintage cone, not as rounded as the Semroc cone - and more like what I remember the 21mm cones looking like - this helps tremendously. ( Carl, you looking ? ;D ) .

as for painting in the spring, I heard that - might have a couple dozen by then myself, although trying to paint some in the shop basement, not quite warm enough, but if the boiler gets going ;) .
* sprays volitile paint 3 feet from gas fired boiler, oops *

keep em coming .

~ AL

Green Dragon
02-24-2010, 08:59 AM
Love the Penetrator. I got an original from Barone, and flew it on a D10 at NARAM 50.
What a flight!! It was found over 1/2 mile down the road. It had a cut down chute to 9 inches. It's retired.

PLEASE post a photo of the original Penetrator - to show the shape of the nosecone, ( see my prior post * points up * ) .

:)

~ AL

SEL
02-24-2010, 11:38 AM

Absolutely. Another one for the quest D5.

so here is a photo of a vintage cone, not as rounded as the Semroc cone - and more like what I remember the 21mm cones looking like - this helps tremendously. ( Carl, you looking ? ;D ) .

as for painting in the spring, I heard that - might have a couple dozen by then myself, although trying to paint some in the shop basement, not quite warm enough, but if the boiler gets going ;) .

keep em coming .

~ AL

snaquin
02-24-2010, 06:16 PM
How 'bout you - been building anything lately?

S.

I pulled the stuff out again to start working on that AAA Model Aviation Fuels clone we discussed about two years ago when I was recovering from my knee surgery. I'm embarrassed to say I'm not very far along with it just yet :o

I do have all the decals and EnerJet markings reproduced in vinyl from Dave @ Graphix & Stuff so it should look sharp when finished.

You noticed that too, eh Steve? The guy's holdin' out on us! :chuckle: :chuckle:

Yeah, you gotta watch Sean. He's sneaky. Always has cool stuff lurking around or behind that monitor! I'm sorry to say my Centuri Power Systems clone that I build with SEMROC parts is the only thing lurking around my monitor ..... and it's still not painted. Sorry Sandman I still haven't put your nice decal set for that one to use.

I really need to get it finished.

:(

SEL
02-24-2010, 06:53 PM
I pulled the stuff out again to start working on that AAA Model Aviation Fuels clone we discussed about two years ago when I was recovering from my knee surgery. I'm embarrassed to say I'm not very far along with it just yet :o

I do have all the decals and EnerJet markings reproduced in vinyl from Dave @ Graphix & Stuff so it should look sharp when finished.

Yeah, you gotta watch Sean. He's sneaky. Always has cool stuff lurking around or behind that monitor! I'm sorry to say my Centuri Power Systems clone that I build with SEMROC parts is the only thing lurking around my monitor ..... and it's still not painted. Sorry Sandman I still haven't put your nice decal set for that one to use.

I really need to get it finished.

:(

LOL! Lurking is being polite! 'Festering' would be more acurate. I just try to keep them within eyesight hoping that one of these days I'll finish them.
I just came back from storage, and while I didn't have time to dig too deeply looking for a NC for the penetrator, I did grab a bag of half started
(or half finished for you optimists out there) projects. I figured I'll start banging these out while I'm on a roll.
In the bag: SEMROC Hustler, Estes Black Brant II, FSI Viking I, EOS and Orbit, ASP Super Loki Dart, and a SERVAL - a Custom kit I think. The main body tubes on the Viking are crushed, but I have a spare FSI RT8 to replace them with.
I guess I'd better get started....

S.

SEL
03-05-2010, 04:25 PM

keep em coming .

~ AL

OK, here are a few more. Left to right: MPC ASP, FSI Viking I and Orbit.
I'm going in for rotator cuff surgery next Wed., so I'm trying to get as much building done as I can before I'm effectively crippled for a few months. I really like the ASP more than I thought I would. Might make a nice Deci-Scale kit, Carl.

S.

garmtn
03-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Nice :) post again after painted, OK?

SEL
03-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Nice :) post again after painted, OK?

Painting weather in Oregon can start anywhere between late April and early June, so don't hold your breath ;). On the other hand (no pun intended) I won't be able to hold a rocket *and* a spray can at the same time 'till at least April, so it all works out in the end. I currently have ~20 or so rockets in the paint queue, so my only 'problem' will be deciding where to start.

S.

Green Dragon
03-05-2010, 08:22 PM
OK, here are a few more. Left to right: MPC ASP, FSI Viking I and Orbit.
I'm going in for rotator cuff surgery next Wed., so I'm trying to get as much building done as I can before I'm effectively crippled for a few months. I really like the ASP more than I thought I would. Might make a nice Deci-Scale kit, Carl.

S.

Sean,

is that the BT5 sized ASP ?

did you get that at NARAM 50 ?

I got one as a freebie from Jim Flis, have yet to build it, but looks nice. might have to crack it open ( in my spare time, lol ) .

so much to do, so lil time and money.....

~ AL

Green Dragon
03-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Heard you there... been trying to paint in the shop basement, next to the boiler.. but having issues with either dust, or paint spraying poorly - temp issues ? not humid down there, so has to be relative temp differences ( i n the can, in the air, on the model ) .

lot of orange peel or crinkled finishes :(

spring I will have tons to paint, I hope :)

~ AL

SEL
03-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Sean,

is that the BT5 sized ASP ?

did you get that at NARAM 50 ?

I got one as a freebie from Jim Flis, have yet to build it, but looks nice. might have to crack it open ( in my spare time, lol ) .

so much to do, so lil time and money.....

~ AL

Yup, it's a BT5 MPC kit that I bought along with a Delta Katt from Sky High Hobbies ( http://www.skyhighhobbies.com/rocketkits.htm ) several years ago. Nice build, tho the balsa is a bit dry.

S.