View Full Version : COX Products

Rocket Doctor
03-24-2010, 08:01 AM
Ebay.CA Ebay of canada you will find XENALOOK, sellers of Cox Products

Here is the link

http://members.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=xenalook

mycrofte
03-24-2010, 01:32 PM
I've seen a lot of their stuff. Engines and parts but not a lot of complete products like cars, planes, and such.

Rocket Doctor
03-25-2010, 11:30 AM
It seems to me that they are only selling engines and parts.

Green Dragon
03-25-2010, 12:00 PM
no rocket items that I found :(

mycrofte
03-25-2010, 04:57 PM
These small companies are just getting parts or "rights" for the stuff they want. Not all of Cox's product line. The company I read about has limited rights to the original molds to make the Cox cars.

CenturiKid
03-25-2010, 09:05 PM
I have bought from XENALOOK many times, mostly for parts for my .049 collection.There has been much discussion on what happened to the Cox molds for the C/L planes (I would assume the rockets can be lumped in with these). As I understand it, most of the molds were either destroyed or so worn out that they are not usable. I do know that XENALOOK has and is planning to produce carb bodies for the tee dee line of motors (these were plastic), so anything is possible. If I hear any more rumblings, I'll pass on the information.

Rocket Doctor
03-26-2010, 08:07 AM
I had inquired several times about the location of the cox RTF model rocket molds, and, I was told "they are gone", believe it or not. Even worn out molds would have been good to save the history of those items.

What about the Cox model rocket motors, what happened to the machines that produced them? Many question, with no answers.

Rocket Doctor
03-26-2010, 11:52 AM
XENALOOK

sales@xenalook.ca

www.coxengines.ca

They did not purchase any Cox rockets or materials. (I guess all that stuff is long gone)

Initiator001
03-26-2010, 11:40 PM
I had inquired several times about the location of the cox RTF model rocket molds, and, I was told "they are gone", believe it or not. Even worn out molds would have been good to save the history of those items.

What about the Cox model rocket motors, what happened to the machines that produced them? Many question, with no answers.

When Estes purchased Cox, the rocket molds went to Penrose (Except the Little Joe II. More on that, later).

An Estes employee during the late 1990s informed me that the molds were in decent shape and that there was talk of releasing the Honest John and, maybe, the Nike-Zeus during that time.

Th Cox X-15 rocket was the one which was recalled by Estes several years ago (Just in Estes packaging).

The molds may have been lost when there was that range fire in Penrose and a building housing molds (among other things) was lost.

The fate of the Little Joe II mold has two stories. One, that when the mold was brought out of storage in the late 1980s to be used by Cox when they began to reissue the rocket models, it was in such poor condition that it could not be repaired and was scrapped. Two, the mold was being transported and it fell off the moving truck and was damaged beyond repair (This was before Estes bought Cox). Regardless, Estes did not receive the LJII mold when they took over Cox.

As for the motor making machine, it still existed around 1990. I was working for AeroTech at the time when we were contacted by someone who knew the location of the Cox rocket motor making machine. It was at a scrapyard in Los Angeles. Gary Rosenfield contacted the scrapyard which confirmed they had the machine. It had been partially disassembled but all the parts were present.

Gary flew out to Los Angeles to inspect the machine and take pictures. Sure enough, it was the Cox motor machine. Gary took about 30-40 pictures of it (Including the manufacturer's serial number plate).

Back at AeroTech, we were psyched. Can you image, AeroTech making black powder motors. :D Several of the staff (myself included) said we'd be glad to come in on weekends and get it put back together and working. The company which made the machine was still in business so we were going to contact them for any drawings/blueprints/manuals for the machine.

The cost of the machine?

FREE!

Yup, we could have the machine for free.

The catch, we had to pay for pickup, shipping & delivery of the machine.

That cost: $10,000.

Yikes!

The machine had a base which weighed several tons.

None of the floors in the AeroTech facility could support that concentrated amount of weight. That, along with other pressing $$$ needs caused the idea of obtaining the Cox motor machine to fade away.

The scrapyard did contact AeroTech a month or two later asking if we were still interested. They were told "no".

I suspect the machine has since been dismantled and the metals sold off. :(

Bob

Rocket Doctor
03-27-2010, 02:32 PM
When Estes purchased Cox, the rocket molds went to Penrose (Except the Little Joe II. More on that, later).

An Estes employee during the late 1990s informed me that the molds were in decent shape and that there was talk of releasing the Honest John and, maybe, the Nike-Zeus during that time.

Th Cox X-15 rocket was the one which was recalled by Estes several years ago (Just in Estes packaging).

The molds may have been lost when there was that range fire in Penrose and a building housing molds (among other things) was lost.

The fate of the Little Joe II mold has two stories. One, that when the mold was brought out of storage in the late 1980s to be used by Cox when they began to reissue the rocket models, it was in such poor condition that it could not be repaired and was scrapped. Two, the mold was being transported and it fell off the moving truck and was damaged beyond repair (This was before Estes bought Cox). Regardless, Estes did not receive the LJII mold when they took over Cox.

As for the motor making machine, it still existed around 1990. I was working for AeroTech at the time when we were contacted by someone who knew the location of the Cox rocket motor making machine. It was at a scrapyard in Los Angeles. Gary Rosenfield contacted the scrapyard which confirmed they had the machine. It had been partially disassembled but all the parts were present.

Gary flew out to Los Angeles to inspect the machine and take pictures. Sure enough, it was the Cox motor machine. Gary took about 30-40 pictures of it (Including the manufacturer's serial number plate).

Back at AeroTech, we were psyched. Can you image, AeroTech making black powder motors. :D Several of the staff (myself included) said we'd be glad to come in on weekends and get it put back together and working. The company which made the machine was still in business so we were going to contact them for any drawings/blueprints/manuals for the machine.

The cost of the machine?

FREE!

Yup, we could have the machine for free.

The catch, we had to pay for pickup, shipping & delivery of the machine.

That cost: $10,000.

Yikes!

The machine had a base which weighed several tons.

None of the floors in the AeroTech facility could support that concentrated amount of weight. That, along with other pressing $$$ needs caused the idea of obtaining the Cox motor machine to fade away.

The scrapyard did contact AeroTech a month or two later asking if we were still interested. They were told "no".

I suspect the machine has since been dismantled and the metals sold off. :(

Bob

Bob

Who made that engine mlachine ? , I have an idea it came from the east. Can you post any of the photos of it for us to see?

As far as the molds go, I don't think they were in the building that burned at estes, a newspaper report said that the building that burned housed thousands of finished motors.

Like I said , I asked several times and was told they were not around.

RD

Thanks for the info.