PDA

View Full Version : Awful lot of rockets

stefanj
06-13-2010, 12:07 AM
I cleaned up my walk-in closet today, AKA the rocket silo.

Specifically, to consolidate boxes and neaten up the storage of out-of-box kits.

I took the opportunity to do a group shot:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4040/4694717725_1f12770311.jpg

Argh. That's an awful lot of rockets. I'd say I have about 20% more waiting for paint or repair. And god knows how many unbuilt kits.

I'm hoping to give away a lot of these, to make room for new ones.

pantherjon
06-13-2010, 09:11 AM
I'm hoping to give away a lot of these, to make room for new ones.

A fun way is prior to launching one you intend to give away, is to announce that who ever finds the rocket upon landing keeps it..Helps if you like to put the largest motor in it too!:) Works great at club launches when there are a lot of youngsters around..

Nice fleet BTW! ;)

Mark II
06-14-2010, 01:22 AM
That's about the size of my fleet, but I don't feel that I have built all that many yet.

jeffyjeep
06-14-2010, 10:41 PM
So, what's the pile of pink stuff? Streamers, I hope.

stefanj
06-14-2010, 10:57 PM
So, what's the pile of pink stuff? Streamers, I hope.

Technically, surveyors' ribbon.

I'm pretty sure that it is what Centuri used for streamers back in the day.

It's cheap and brightly colored and sturdier than crepe paper.

But that pile was used as marker material in a model that I'd flown out in the high desert. It is supposed to settle over the top of the sagebrush, making the model more visible.

This weekend, I used a few yards to mark off the flight line at a launch.

Very useful stuff.

Green Dragon
06-24-2010, 08:10 PM
so did you give em all away yet, ?

or should I send a postage paid return box or two :)

looks liek good stuff, I;d never part with any of my birds, too much sweat and tears - I cry when I lose a fire-n-forget bird I threw together for the one shot flight ...

~ AL

LeeR
06-24-2010, 10:41 PM
so did you give em all away yet, ?

or should I send a postage paid return box or two :)

looks liek good stuff, I;d never part with any of my birds, too much sweat and tears - I cry when I lose a fire-n-forget bird I threw together for the one shot flight ...

~ AL

I'm thinking double-wide casket when I go, and they plant me six feet under surrounded by all my little lovelies ...
:p

stefanj
06-24-2010, 11:01 PM
Well, I gave away the Hustler and the (truncated) Aero-Dart today. These are scratch models, built several years before the Semroc kits. I turned the cones and transitions and such myself. I gave them to a co-worker whose kids are old enough to respect them.

Why? I have the Semroc kits, and I want to build them! Carl's designs are far sturdier and more flexible motor wise. I give them even better finishes than my first attempts.

I'll give away a lot of the little things to other friends and co-workers. There's an Aries (two stage model from an old MRN plan) which I accidentally built with three fins and can't fly two stage; I'll glue the stages together to create a sport flier. Ditto a Cloud Buster. And the Corellian Invader / whatever pair Estes put out . . . I'm embarassed by them -- I couldn't do decent paint jobs back then -- but kids might enjoy flying them.

Mikus
06-25-2010, 07:38 AM
Technically, surveyors' ribbon. This weekend, I used a few yards to mark off the flight line at a launch.

Very useful stuff.

Indeed, I've used it to mark anthills in the prep area. And a little piece tied to a car antenna makes a decent windsock. ;)