PDA

View Full Version : Estes Monarch

foose4string
08-24-2010, 06:41 PM
Started building the new Estes Monarch this afternoon. I like the lines on this one, especially the Bertha-like fins. Balsa stock for the fins is super dense...I like that. I was hoping to see decals for the stripes but the only decals included is the "Monarch" text. One side of the nosecone had a very noticeable flat spot. I'm not certain whether this happened as a result of being tightly packed in the shipping box or if it came from the factory that way, but I'm thinking it was shipping related. I'm trying to make do by using some wood filler to help bring back into round. It helped, but it's still not perfect. I'm debating whether or not I should complain to the vendor.

That's said, the main thing I wanted to point out about this kit was the error I found in the instructions. The root edge and leading edge of the fins are mislabeled in the "Fin Preparation" section of the instructions. The side that is labeled "leading edge" should be the "root edge" and vice versa. Luckily, I caught this before I rounded the edges of the fins. If you compare the rest of the illustrations and cover art/photos you will see the discrepancy.

All in all, it's a nice kit for the money.

Der Red Max
08-25-2010, 06:20 PM
I'm debating whether or not I should complain to the vendor. Call/email Estes customer sevice and explain the problem.

They will:
a) Replace the defective item(s)
or
b) Send you a brand new kit

This was always Estes strength.

chrism
08-25-2010, 07:36 PM
Started building the new Estes Monarch this afternoon. I like the lines on this one, especially the Bertha-like fins. Balsa stock for the fins is super dense...I like that. I was hoping to see decals for the stripes but the only decals included is the "Monarch" text. One side of the nosecone had a very noticeable flat spot. I'm not certain whether this happened as a result of being tightly packed in the shipping box or if it came from the factory that way, but I'm thinking it was shipping related. I'm trying to make do by using some wood filler to help bring back into round. It helped, but it's still not perfect. I'm debating whether or not I should complain to the vendor.

That's said, the main thing I wanted to point out about this kit was the error I found in the instructions. The root edge and leading edge of the fins are mislabeled in the "Fin Preparation" section of the instructions. The side that is labeled "leading edge" should be the "root edge" and vice versa. Luckily, I caught this before I rounded the edges of the fins. If you compare the rest of the illustrations and cover art/photos you will see the discrepancy.

All in all, it's a nice kit for the money.
Thanks for the heads-up.

o1d_dude
08-25-2010, 08:39 PM
What DRM said.

Estes sent me a new kit when I assembled the motor mount to my Phoenix Bird according to the instructions...and it didn't fit.

The current versions of the kit now come with a slip sheet that says don't do it the way OD did.

LeeR
08-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Estes will definitely make it right. I had a crushed tube in a Mini Max, and a new kit was shipped to me. I told them I'd be happy with a replacement tube, but I am sure they do not want to stock all SKUs, just so they can an issue replacement parts. And I think they would rather not deal with opening up a kit, pulling out a tube, and keeping the leftover parts around, for possible use for another customer issue.

Der Red Max
08-26-2010, 03:40 AM
And I think they would rather not deal with opening up a kit, pulling out a tube, and keeping the leftover parts around, for possible use for another customer issue.I think that might be a little cynical; perhaps Estes see's it as better customer service to send someone a whole kit to make up for the inconvenience of having to wait.
I know you didn't mean to lessen what they do here, but I think they are very considerate in this area - and they always have been.

CJU
08-26-2010, 09:55 AM
+1 on Estes customer service... 2 weeks ago, I asked for replacement Interceptor E decals (I had the nasty thin ones) and shortly thereafter, a new Interceptor E kit showed up on my porch... :D

foose4string
08-27-2010, 02:34 PM
I contacted Estes this afternoon via the contact form on the web and had a reply back within an hour. Someone else had emailed and pointed out the error in the instructions earlier in the week and they are correcting the problem. Christine also shipped out a new kit to replace the nosecone. Nice! Kudos to Estes C/S! :)

LeeR
08-28-2010, 10:32 PM
I think that might be a little cynical; perhaps Estes see's it as better customer service to send someone a whole kit to make up for the inconvenience of having to wait.
I know you didn't mean to lessen what they do here, but I think they are very considerate in this area - and they always have been.

Cynical? No, maybe my sentiment was misinterpreted. Cynical would be me saying that they only replaced a damaged part, and if they would have sent a whole kit, it would have been a nice gesture, since the customer was inconvenienced.

I agree that it is a very smart thing for Estes to do. You make the customer happy, and you avoid the cost of inventorying a bunch of parts, or leftover parts from a open kit used to scrounge the part. I've sung the praises of Estes Customer support for years.

And while I'm at it, Semroc service is, in a word, amazing. I screwed up a wrap on a Mars Lander, and emailed them, asking which wrap I needed, since I saw several wraps listed. Sheryl sent me a "wrap kit" (several different wraps in a bag) free of charge. And it was a box, to protect it, rather than a cheaper-to-mail envelope.