PDA

View Full Version : Custom TRISTAR discontinued

AcroRay
10-22-2010, 10:17 PM
Last weekend I purchased a couple of Custom Rockets' TRISTAR kits, and built one for my oldest daughter - which went unpainted into rocket-eating trees the next day. (RIP) While building it, I noticed a couple of things. One was that each of the two kits I got were different editions, with slight differences in instructions, parts and decals. The decal sets in particular used different blue inks, and had black areas in different portions of the design. Image attached.

I also noticed that the design had a couple of tiny unused fins, which made me thing the Tristar might have been a Jayhawk target drone scale-like kit at some point in its development. So I wrote to Custom and asked if that was indeed the case.

Custom replied that it wasn't ever intended to be a Jayhawk. They also noted that the kit is now out of production, and that we should keep our eye out at their website next month for an update featuring new kits.

Tristar is a fetching, simple kit that gets some great altitude. It was near the top of my budget list, so I'm glad I grabbed a couple. Hopefully when the leaves fall from the trees near the launch site, I can find my daughter's white, as-yet-undecorated Tristar.

BEC
10-23-2010, 12:58 AM
I have one of those in my kit stash and there were several at the LHS last time I looked. Maybe I ought to pick another one or two up before they disappear. I think it's a neat looking rocket as well and am glad to hear it flies well.

jeffyjeep
10-23-2010, 02:41 AM
I'm sorry to hear about the Tristar! I've always loved that little Custom rocket. I have one that's almost ready for paint.

Red Arrow Hobbies has them for $5.59 each. Hmmmmmm.

bob jablonski
10-23-2010, 09:50 AM
Talking to Andy at ihobby. Yes it is kinda gone. There are 3 new kits based on it (diferent decals). galxy Taxi, Galaxy Partrol, Galaxy Rescue. MSRP$7.95. The Nomad did catch my eye.

Mr. Bob
Starlight Model Rockets LLC
www.starlightrocketry.com

Bill
10-23-2010, 11:50 AM
I have one ready to be filled and painted. It is going to get the Southwest Airlines treatment - I just have to decide which one: the Texas flag, the orca, the classic beige, or the new blue. Maybe I should do one of each...

Bill

jeffyjeep
10-23-2010, 04:51 PM
I have one ready to be filled and painted. It is going to get the Southwest Airlines treatment - I just have to decide which one: the Texas flag, the orca, the classic beige, or the new blue. Maybe I should do one of each...

Bill
.....or the Star of Arizona design (Custom is in Arizona)

Bill
10-23-2010, 06:16 PM
.....or the Star of Arizona design (Custom is in Arizona)

Thanks, I was not aware of that. It turns out that Southwest also has paint schemes for California, Nevada and New Mexico: http://www.southwest.com/about_swa/photos.html

Bill

jeffyjeep
10-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Thanks, I was not aware of that. It turns out that Southwest also has paint schemes for California, Nevada and New Mexico: http://www.southwest.com/about_swa/photos.html

Bill
At one time they also had a plane with the cast of "The Simpsons" painted on it. I don't know if they still do.

Bill
10-23-2010, 08:28 PM
At one time they also had a plane with the cast of "The Simpsons" painted on it. I don't know if they still do.

I remember that, now that you mention it. There is also this one: http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/flight-international/assets_c/2009/02/sione_051-thumb-450x337.jpg

Bill

AcroRay
10-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Talking to Andy at ihobby. Yes it is kinda gone. There are 3 new kits based on it (diferent decals). galxy Taxi, Galaxy Partrol, Galaxy Rescue. MSRP$7.95. The Nomad did catch my eye.

Oh! Too cool! I can't wait to see those on their website. I would be into making a 'fleet' of Tristar liners.

jeffyjeep
10-24-2010, 01:15 AM
I'm going to miss the Tristar, but I'm also pleased that Custom now has a D-powered rocket: the "Scavenger". Reasonably priced, too.