PDA

View Full Version : Hydra-Sandhawk pix & info!

blackshire
03-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Hello All,

Major and Dr. Roy F. Houchin II (USAF retired), who teaches at the Air Warfare College at Maxwell AFB, Alabama (he'll also give a presentation at NARCON, by the way!), sent me a link to fascinating photographs and information on the sea-launched Hydra-Sandhawk sounding rocket, which was a follow-on to the Hydra-Iris project and was part of the U.S. Navy's larger, over-arching Project Hydra (which developed technologies for launching floating missiles and research rockets directly from the sea). Here is the link: http://hydrasandhawk.org/index.shtml

I hope this material will be useful.

blackshire
03-09-2011, 05:16 AM
When did this take place?The Hydra-Sandhawk entry on astronautix.com (see: http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/hyddhawk.htm ) gives two launch dates: 11/18/1971 and 4/26/1973.

Cohetero-negro
03-11-2011, 02:27 PM
The Hydra-Sandhawk entry on astronautix.com (see: http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/hyddhawk.htm ) gives two launch dates: 11/18/1971 and 4/26/1973.

Very nice, and he is a Lt. Col BTW :)

Jonathan

blackshire
03-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Very nice, and he is a Lt. Col BTW :)

JonathanThank you. Roy never told me--but then again, he is a modest man.

BEC
03-12-2011, 12:47 AM
I just met Roy this evening at the NARCON registration venue and he joined our little Washington/Oregon group for dinner. Among other topics of conversation was the Hydra-Sandhawk and his involvement with Rocketarium's new scale kits. He's very easy to talk to.

I'm going to have to make a tough choice on Sunday morning because I'd love to hear his presentation on Dyna-Soar and the X-37B but I also want to go to the beginning competition session at the same time as I am on the fledgling Competition committee for one of the clubs I belong to. :eek:

blackshire
03-12-2011, 01:12 AM
I just met Roy this evening at the NARCON registration venue and he joined our little Washington/Oregon group for dinner. Among other topics of conversation was the Hydra-Sandhawk and his involvement with Rocketarium's new scale kits. He's very easy to talk to.Heartily agreed!I'm going to have to make a tough choice on Sunday morning because I'd love to hear his presentation on Dyna-Soar and the X-37B but I also want to go to the beginning competition session at the same time as I am on the fledgling Competition committee for one of the clubs I belong to. :eek:I had asked Roy if he could make a YouTube video of his NARCON presentation, and he said that he probably couldn't because the Public Affairs Office at his base would need to grant permission first. If the beginning competition session will be recorded (for posting on YouTube or other web sites), maybe you could "have your black powder and burn it too." :-)

BEC
03-12-2011, 01:54 AM
I know there was some pre-convention talk about recording sessions....I will see what I see in the morning. Since Roy's (and Ryan Coleman/Jennifer Ash-Poole's) presentations are the second one on Sunday morning, I'll have a chance to see if that's happening and if/how they are going to be made available. That will help. That Sunday session isn't the only one for which I wish I could bi-locate :).

tbzep
03-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Every time this thread comes up when I check for new posts, I skim down the page and see it as "Hydra-Shok". :D