PDA

View Full Version : NASA Study Summary: "Description of the S-IC Stage Structure Case 330"

luke strawwalker
04-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Here's a 40-ish page Bellcomm document from 1967 entitled "Description of the S-IC Stage Structure Case 330". It's got some good information for Saturn modellers as far as details are concerned, and also good info for space history buffs on the Saturn V first stage.

Enjoy! OL JR

luke strawwalker
04-24-2011, 05:24 PM
Pic one is a dimensioned drawing of the Saturn V LOR stack.

Pic two is a breakdown of the S-IC major structural units and their numbers and major components.

Pic three is the major area/unit designations description and general layout of the S-IC stage...

Pic four is a top down view of the S-IC stage and launch pad infrastructure and how it all is arranged to each other and aligned as to direction.

Pic five is the forward skirt details of the S-IC stage.

More to come! OL JR

luke strawwalker
04-24-2011, 05:26 PM
Pic one is the LOX tank construction...

Pic two is the interstage construction details...

Pic three is the Fuel tank structures...

Pic four is the Thrust Structure details...

Pic five is the Fin and Fairing construction details...

More to come! OL JR

luke strawwalker
04-24-2011, 05:26 PM
Pic one is more fin structure details and a scale drawing of the fin/fairings.

Pic two is a detailed view of the aft end of the S-IC stage heat shields.

That's it for this one! OL JR

Earl
04-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Pic one is more fin structure details and a scale drawing of the fin/fairings.

That's it for this one! OL JR

I used to think it would be interesting to put together a full-size wooden mockup of one fin, covered with sheet metal with a typical fin letter applied as well, to have on hand at launches and such as a conversation piece for younger modelers to see who may not remember the Saturns. It could be built to separate in two pieces where the leading edge taper section ends and the more 'boxy' trailing section begins to make it more transportable.

Younger folks in some cases don't seem to have a complete appreciation for the shear size of the Saturn V, and seeing first-hand just how big a single fin was from that monster might be a relatively simple way to demonstrate that fact.

We'll likely never see anything so big again in our lifetimes....

Thanks for posting these series of reports.....they've been interesting.

Earl

luke strawwalker
04-25-2011, 09:31 AM
You're welcome...

Got some more stuff coming, so stay tuned!!! OL JR :)

Bill
04-25-2011, 10:14 AM
I used to think it would be interesting to put together a full-size wooden mockup of one fin, covered with sheet metal with a typical fin letter applied as well, to have on hand at launches and such as a conversation piece for younger modelers to see who may not remember the Saturns. It could be built to separate in two pieces where the leading edge taper section ends and the more 'boxy' trailing section begins to make it more transportable.

Younger folks in some cases don't seem to have a complete appreciation for the shear size of the Saturn V, and seeing first-hand just how big a single fin was from that monster might be a relatively simple way to demonstrate that fact.

Even a single two-part fin would be awfully large to transport.

I wonder what it would cost to make an airblown mockup of an F-1 engine. It would be somewhat larger than the common yard decorations, but not outrageously so.

Bill

luke strawwalker
04-25-2011, 10:33 AM

I wonder what it would cost to make an airblown mockup of an F-1 engine. It would be somewhat larger than the common yard decorations, but not outrageously so.

Bill

I always thought the one at JSC would make a good size permanent "teepee" LOL:)

Sort of like the Tee Pee Motel in Wharton, TX... LOL:)
(second pic)

Later! OL JR :)

GregGleason
04-25-2011, 12:11 PM

We'll likely never see anything so big again in our lifetimes....

Thanks for posting these series of reports.....they've been interesting.

Earl

You could do a poster-sized picture of the following:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5109/5654481192_258bb2bc33_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/9960539@N07/5654481192/)
H34428_sm (http://www.flickr.com/photos/9960539@N07/5654481192/), on Flickr

Greg

Earl
04-25-2011, 07:17 PM

Bill

Yes, that would be effective, too. But, like you, not sure what it would cost to make an inflatable engine mockup either.

But yes, even in two sections that full-size fin mockup would still be pretty large, and one could probably do three pieces to help in that regards. Still, you'd need a truck or flatbed trailer to tote it with. But, the overall size obviously is part of the point. That was just one BIG rocket to just assemble and transport to the pad. But then to fly the thing! Those guys had vision and guts to pull off a beast of a rocket like that....13 times no less.

Earl

Earl
04-25-2011, 07:29 PM
You could do a poster-sized picture of the following:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5109/5654481192_258bb2bc33_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/9960539@N07/5654481192/)
H34428_sm (http://www.flickr.com/photos/9960539@N07/5654481192/), on Flickr

Greg

That's an impressive photo that helps drive the size point home. There is a very similar shot from the launcher top deck like this one of the Apollo 17 crew standing right under one of the fin/fairings. That one too really helped convey the size of that monster.

I crawled all over sections of launch tower #1 back when those sections were still stored in the 'boneyard' down at KSC before they were finally (and unfortunately) scrapped in 2004. Those were some massive I-beams and box columns for those launch towers and one felt incredibly small walking over and around those sections.

I only wish I could have had the opportunity to stand on the top deck of one of the L/UT's with a Saturn stacked and just look up the side of that beauty and admire the shear size of that vehicle.

At least we still have photos like these to remember those days.

Earl

luke strawwalker
04-27-2011, 10:20 AM
That's an impressive photo that helps drive the size point home. There is a very similar shot from the launcher top deck like this one of the Apollo 17 crew standing right under one of the fin/fairings. That one too really helped convey the size of that monster.

I crawled all over sections of launch tower #1 back when those sections were still stored in the 'boneyard' down at KSC before they were finally (and unfortunately) scrapped in 2004. Those were some massive I-beams and box columns for those launch towers and one felt incredibly small walking over and around those sections.

I only wish I could have had the opportunity to stand on the top deck of one of the L/UT's with a Saturn stacked and just look up the side of that beauty and admire the shear size of that vehicle.

At least we still have photos like these to remember those days.

Earl

Next best thing is the "full scale model" of Saturn V standing upright at USSRC in Huntsville... THAT thing is cool to stand near and look straight up.... :)

Later! OL JR :)