PDA

View Full Version : Input on Victory Motorcycles

cas2047
05-04-2011, 11:43 AM
OK I know at least a few of the members here ride motorcycles. I've riden since I was a kid, everything from street to dirt. My last street bike was a Ninja 1000, but I'm thinking about a cruiser for my next bike and the brand that really catches my eye is Victory. It's made by Polaris the snowmobile manufacturer (no kidding).

Anyone have any insights on Victory? So far the guys I talk to say it's a good bike, but I haven't taken one out for a test drive yet. I'm planning on doing that over the next several weeks...

There's something about the look of the Victory that I really like, but I've never owned a cruiser so I need to really take some time to figure out whether that's the kind of ride I want. If the Victory line checks out I think that's the kind of cruiser I'll be buying.

I like everything they make except their touring line which includes the new Vision, Cross Road and Cross Country. Here's a link to the Victory website: http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/Victory-Motorcycles/Pages/home.aspx

ghrocketman
05-04-2011, 12:49 PM
The only guys that I know that have Victory motorcycles have their touring bikes.
That being said, the three I know really like them.
I know a lot of Harley riders turn their noses at them, but I find the sound of an average running Harley about as pleasant as an out-of-tune diesel garbage truck.

For me, the only sort of on-road bikes I'm really interested in are high-revving 4-cylinder sport-bikes (crotch rockets). For off-road/dirt the ONLY bikes that interest me are 2-stroke motocross screamers, which are getting harder and harder to find. I absolutely HATE 4-stroke dirt bikes.

cas2047
05-04-2011, 01:05 PM
I know a lot of Harley riders turn their noses at them, but I find the sound of an average running Harley about as pleasant as an out-of-tune diesel garbage truck.
The problem with Harley riders and their attitudes towards anything not Harley is that it's been way overdone to the point that nobody really cares what Harley riders think anymore.

I go up to Motorcycle Weekend in Laconia NH most years and each year there are more and more cruisers that look every bit as good, if not better, than what Harley is putting out.

For me, the only sort of on-road bikes I'm really interested in are high-revving 4-cylinder sport-bikes (crotch rockets).
That's always been the case for me too, but I've got a place way up North in the White Mountains of NH and I split my time between there and MA and a cruiser is a heck of a lot easier to get back and forth on (from what I've heard). I've never owned a cruiser and I need to try a couple out to make sure it's for me. I may just go and rent a Victory for a week to see how I like it...

For off-road/dirt the ONLY bikes that interest me are 2-stroke motocross screamers, which are getting harder and harder to find. I absolutely HATE 4-stroke dirt bikes.
We're on the same page there GH! I'm looking for a two stroke machine now. Two stroke machines are way more fun!

ghrocketman
05-04-2011, 01:10 PM
I never DID care what Hardly-Movingson riders thought !
:^)

cas2047
05-04-2011, 02:12 PM
I never DID care what Hardly-Movingson riders thought !
:^)

lol - that's not very nice GH... :chuckle: :D But I have heard that some of those machines have a pretty hard time getting out of their own way...

tbzep
05-04-2011, 03:03 PM
I've only owned sport and sport-touring bikes, so my opinion is only from observation. The ones I've seen (never sat on one) looked nice and the owners were happy with them. In all honesty, I can't remember what they sound like, but in order to get the HD sound, the 70 degree twin crank has to be off kilter and it makes them vibrate worse. 90 degree twins can be balanced much better.

I don't particularly care for the HD sound myself. My true love is the V-4. I like both versions, the 180 deg and the 360 deg cranks. They don't sound like a wind up toy like the inline 4's, but they don't putt putt like the thumpers and twins. :cool:

Listen to any V-4: Aprilia RSV, Ducati Desmosedici (wicked!), and any of the Honda Interceptor lineage, with or without gear driven cams.......it's music....man music. :cool:

cas2047
05-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Listen to any V-4: Aprilia RSV, Ducati Desmosedici (wicked!), and any of the Honda Interceptor lineage, with or without gear driven cams.......it's music....man music. :cool:

Now there's a man with some refined tastes! :)

bob jablonski
05-04-2011, 04:10 PM
After 3 Sportsters and a Dyan glide I jumped ship and just bought a 2004 Victory Vegas Ness last Friday. I am very happy with it. Now the wife wants to get back into riding with me. :) 100 cubic inches has plenty of get up and go the new ones are 106. I know a few folks that were hard core HD riders that now ride Victory's. Look at Sonny Barger and a number of other Angels.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude

El Cheapo
05-04-2011, 04:24 PM
After 3 Sportsters and a Dyan glide I jumped ship and just bought a 2004 Victory Vegas Ness last Friday. I am very happy with it. Now the wife wants to get back into riding with me. :) 100 cubic inches has plenty of get up and go the new ones are 106. I know a few folks that were hard core HD riders that now ride Victory's. Look at Sonny Barger and a number of other Angels.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude

Well, there is a Victory dealership right down the road from the Cave Creek Chapter's Club House. The Victory shop is also a stone throw away from a big HD dealership, Buddy Stubbs.

One thing about HA's bikes is they get ridden and are typically not fancy, no ape hangers or stretches. They need to be able to ride long distance with no breakdowns.

Bill
05-04-2011, 06:18 PM

To paraphrase the great philosopher Dolly Parton, it costs a lot of money to sound that cheap...

Bill

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-04-2011, 06:29 PM
The problem with Harley riders and their attitudes towards anything not Harley is that it's been way overdone to the point that nobody really cares what Harley riders think anymore.

From an outsiders point-of-view, Harley riders think whatever HD Marketing tells them to think. And wear. :rolleyes:

cas2047
05-04-2011, 06:44 PM
From an outsiders point-of-view, Harley riders think whatever HD Marketing tells them to think. And wear. :rolleyes:

HD knows how to market the brand I'll give them that.

I was in Laconia NH one year during the Fathers Day weekendmotorcycle weekend gathering, when my cousin, who was riding a red Ninja 1000, caught the eye of a good looking woman standing along side some Harley guys parked by the side of the road. We were all stopped in bumper to bumper bike traffic coming up on the main strip. Anyway she walked over to my cousin and smiled as she said "I'm really sorry honey, wrong bike".

We all had a good laugh over that one. She was seriously good looking.

cas2047
05-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude

That's what I wanted to hear Bob. I honestly think the Victory's are amazing looking bikes. Like I said though I need to prove to myself that I'm ready for a cruiser. If I like the ride I'm gonna pull the trigger on one.

By the way that Vegas Ness must be one good looking ride!

bob jablonski
05-04-2011, 07:20 PM
That's what I wanted to hear Bob. I honestly think the Victory's are amazing looking bikes. Like I said though I need to prove to myself that I'm ready for a cruiser. If I like the ride I'm gonna pull the trigger on one.

By the way that Vegas Ness must be one good looking ride!
Go to the nearest Victory dealer and see if they will let you try a demo ride. Sometimes Victory will go to local dealers and put on a big demo ride (the local dealer is welcoming the semi in Plymouth IN. June 4th) Find a close dealer and give them a try. I thought of holding off, until the Ness bike showed up with a few thousand in extras. All at a used bike price. I have yet to stop somewhere and not get positive comments. Even from members of above mentioned club.
Mr. Bob

cas2047
05-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Go to the nearest Victory dealer and see if they will let you try a demo ride. Sometimes Victory will go to local dealers and put on a big demo ride (the local dealer is welcoming the semi in Plymouth IN. June 4th) Find a close dealer and give them a try. I thought of holding off, until the Ness bike showed up with a few thousand in extras. All at a used bike price.

Yeah that makes sense for sure. The big local deal her is MOM's (Motorcylces of Manchester) The have a dealership here in MA and another in NH. I'm gooing to either look for a demo ride or I might even rent one for a week.

I have yet to stop somewhere and not get positive comments. Even from members of above mentioned club.
Mr. Bob
I hear that! I know it's a personal preference thing, but I think Victory has some of the best looking bikes on the market. No offense to anyone who rides anything else though. I haven't seen too many bikes that I don't like. :)

tbzep
05-05-2011, 07:42 AM
Now there's a man with some refined tastes! :)
We won't get into the argument over the Honda 180 degree crank vs. 360 degree crank on those V-4's. It's like Estes vs. Centuri. :D I like 'em both....V-4's and rocket companies. ;)

Randy
05-05-2011, 07:53 PM
The Victory bikes are distinctive but we've recently been thinking of getting the top end 2011 Can Am Spyder RT for touring. At the moment they only come in white. The only problem is the $30k it takes to get one. I have been asking Verna to consider a Goldwing for years but she feels safer on a trike. When she brought the sales brosure to me this time, I got excited. Turns out there's a dealer about 2 blocks from the office and we went there during lunch to test drive one. They drive and ride like a car and much more stable than a conventional trike.

I'd love to take about a month to ride the entire length of old Route 66 from end to end and on as much of the old road as possible. The original stretches through the old west provide some amazing scenery.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

Randy
05-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Sorry, meant to post a link. Can Am Spyder http://en-us.spyder.brp.com/showroom/all-series.aspx

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

cas2047
05-05-2011, 11:14 PM
The Victory bikes are distinctive but we've recently been thinking of getting the top end 2011 Can Am Spyder RT for touring. At the moment they only come in white. The only problem is the $30k it takes to get one. I have been asking Verna to consider a Goldwing for years but she feels safer on a trike. When she brought the sales brosure to me this time, I got excited. Turns out there's a dealer about 2 blocks from the office and we went there during lunch to test drive one. They drive and ride like a car and much more stable than a conventional trike.

I'd love to take about a month to ride the entire length of old Route 66 from end to end and on as much of the old road as possible. The original stretches through the old west provide some amazing scenery.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

I did run into someone who has a Spyder and he really likes it. He said it feels very stable on the road.

I think the Route 66 ride sounds awsome regardless of how many wheels you have under you. :)

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-05-2011, 11:49 PM
I think the Route 66 ride sounds awsome regardless of how many wheels you have under you. :)

Ditto. :cool: I had to go to Tulsa back in 1997 and was given the choice of flying or driving. I drove, and took as much of Rt. 66 as I could just to say that I'd been there. I've always wanted to go back, if for nothing else than to check this place out: http://www.countryclassiccars.com/

Randy
05-06-2011, 06:52 AM
On our way to the 4 corners area last summer and spent 2 weeks driving from Phoenix to Sedona, Williams, Winslow, Painted Desert, Petrified Forest, up to Monument Valley and Valley of the Gods, and a bunch of other places, but we really got interested in the Route 66 drive and did much of the Arizona I-40 /66 part by car. There's a lot of it still there, albeit decommissioned, that is still driveable, especially by motorcycle. Some would require a bike.

Never had a bucket list but I do now and doing the 66 thing is definately on it.

I love that area of the country (10% humidity) and saw so many great places that would be perfect for flying. ;)

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

kevinj
05-06-2011, 08:00 AM
I've always wanted to go back, if for nothing else than to check this place out: http://www.countryclassiccars.com/

I've had that place bookmarked for years. Can't count the times I've been tempted to fly out and drive back. :)

kj

tbzep
05-06-2011, 09:55 AM

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

IMHO, I don't see the point in having a trike of any type. Why not get a small two seater convertible for comparable $$$ and add much more stability, more storage, more crash protection, similar performance, comparable protection from the wind with the top down, and much more protection with the top up? Throw in a simple roll bar and you add roll over protection.

ghrocketman
05-06-2011, 10:03 AM
I work with two people that have Can-Am Spyders that really like them.
Had NO idea they were $30K.
That price IS RIDICULOUS for any sort of motorcycle with TWO or THREE wheels that is not 100% CUSTOM built to buyer specifications. If it is short of one of those "OCC" or "WCC" or "Arlen Ness" custom jobs, $30K+ is outrageous.

tbzep
05-06-2011, 10:15 AM
I work with two people that have Can-Am Spyders that really like them.
Had NO idea they were $30K.
That price IS RIDICULOUS for any sort of motorcycle with TWO or THREE wheels that is not 100% CUSTOM built to buyer specifications. If it is short of one of those "OCC" or "WCC" or "Arlen Ness" custom jobs, $30K+ is outrageous.

After watching a couple of OCC episodes, I'd just as soon have a Harley. Both have a boatload of Japanese made components, but boast of being made (assembled) in the USA. HD has several bikes with MSRP's of about $30-37K.

ghrocketman
05-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Yeah, I know HD has bikes with MSRP over $30K as well.
They are IN-F'N-SANE, too with prices set by somebody that needs to put down THE CRACK PIPE !
Not even close to being worth that for ANY two-wheeled, tube-framed, two-cylinder ANYTHING that is not hand made and individually fitted to each individual purchaser.
Not when one can by a STOCK Hayabusa for around 13K that will rip any stock HD to shreds in acceleration, top end, and handling and still have $$ for 10 years worth of fuel.

Peter Olivola
05-06-2011, 10:41 AM
H-D doesn't seem to have a problem with excess inventory. Of course, it would be out of the question for you to consider the classic definition of selling price: What a buyer and seller can agree on. Just because you're not the buyer doesn't mean there isn't one. Oh, I forgot, this is all about you. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know HD has bikes with MSRP over $30K as well.
They are IN-F'N-SANE, too with prices set by somebody that needs to put down THE CRACK PIPE !
Not even close to being worth that for ANY two-wheeled, tube-framed, two-cylinder ANYTHING that is not hand made and individually fitted to each individual purchaser.
Not when one can by a STOCK Hayabusa for around 13K that will rip any stock HD to shreds in acceleration, top end, and handling and still have $$ for 10 years worth of fuel.

Bill
05-06-2011, 11:41 AM
On our way to the 4 corners area last summer and spent 2 weeks driving from Phoenix to Sedona, Williams, Winslow, Painted Desert, Petrified Forest, up to Monument Valley and Valley of the Gods, and a bunch of other places, but we really got interested in the Route 66 drive and did much of the Arizona I-40 /66 part by car. There's a lot of it still there, albeit decommissioned, that is still driveable, especially by motorcycle. Some would require a bike.

There is a long stretch surviving between Seligman and Kingman. I used to hate it before the Interstate bypass was complete, but drove it again for the first time in a long time a couple of years ago and it was a joy with the light traffic it gets now.

Bill

ghrocketman
05-06-2011, 02:26 PM
Another GEM of a post with ZERO value by PO....
Slightly less useful than a bowling ball in a microwave oven.

I actually tried to find a PO post with real value, and actually could not find ONE...seems to chime in to be an argumentative agitator.

tbzep
05-06-2011, 04:10 PM

I've got an even better example. Back in the late 80's, I had a little Honda Interceptor 500 cc, my first V-4. It produced just under 80 horsepower. The HD's that were a few years newer produced about the same horsepower with over 1300 cc displacement. :eek: Folks don't need to start in with "yeah, but the torque" either because my little Miniceptor walked off and left the big HD's from a standing start and had them on top end too. :cool: Oh, and the little 90 deg V-4 was balanced and smooth and and a nice little growl if you got rid of those quiet OEM pipes.

bob jablonski
05-06-2011, 05:23 PM
After watching a couple of OCC episodes, I'd just as soon have a Harley. Both have a boatload of Japanese made components, but boast of being made (assembled) in the USA. HD has several bikes with MSRP's of about $30-37K.
One of Victorys selling points is they use more American made parts then Milwalkee.
Mr. Bob

tbzep
05-06-2011, 05:57 PM
One of Victorys selling points is they use more American made parts then Milwalkee.
Mr. Bob

It wouldn't take much. IIRC, a few years ago it was about 60% imported. Probably more now.

Peter Olivola
05-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Look in the mirror, son. :rolleyes:

Another GEM of a post with ZERO value by PO....
Slightly less useful than a bowling ball in a microwave oven.

I actually tried to find a PO post with real value, and actually could not find ONE...seems to chime in to be an argumentative agitator.

cas2047
05-06-2011, 08:44 PM
I've got an even better example. Back in the late 80's, I had a little Honda Interceptor 500 cc, my first V-4. It produced just under 80 horsepower. The HD's that were a few years newer produced about the same horsepower with over 1300 cc displacement. :eek: Folks don't need to start in with "yeah, but the torque" either because my little Miniceptor walked off and left the big HD's from a standing start and had them on top end too. :cool: Oh, and the little 90 deg V-4 was balanced and smooth and and a nice little growl if you got rid of those quiet OEM pipes.

Back in the day I had a Yamaha RD 400. It was a 2 stroke twin and stock I believe it put out 43.00 HP @ 7500 RPM..., but I swear that thing beat a lot of bigger bikes in the 1/4 mile. Of course after 1/4 mile I'd be dusted, but it was FAST on the short track. :D I loved that bike. I wish I still had it today.

ghrocketman
05-06-2011, 09:29 PM
I actually rode one of those VF500F Honda V-4 Interceptor 500's back in the early 90's.
It was amazingly quick for being a very early sport bike and only 500cc.
Agree it was very smooth running too...almost too smooth and needed more camshaft.
My buddy kept that bike for quite some time...the only mods he made were a stronger clutch and Vance & Hines pipes.

PU...oops I mean PO....you are just proving my point by once again leaving another TURD of a post with zero value.

Peter Olivola
05-06-2011, 09:54 PM
I stand corrected. You do make a point from time to time, but it's always done with maximum belligerence. Absent the belligerence, you might be a decent sort of fellow With it you discredit everything you have to say.

I actually rode one of those VF500F Honda V-4 Interceptor 500's back in the early 90's.
It was amazingly quick for being a very early sport bike and only 500cc.
Agree it was very smooth running too...almost too smooth and needed more camshaft.
My buddy kept that bike for quite some time...the only mods he made were a stronger clutch and Vance & Hines pipes.

PU...oops I mean PO....you are just proving my point by once again leaving another TURD of a post with zero value.

bob jablonski
05-07-2011, 08:39 AM
Back in the day I had a Yamaha RD 400. It was a 2 stroke twin and stock I believe it put out 43.00 HP @ 7500 RPM..., but I swear that thing beat a lot of bigger bikes in the 1/4 mile. Of course after 1/4 mile I'd be dusted, but it was FAST on the short track. :D I loved that bike. I wish I still had it today.
I had a RD 350 and did the same I think the top end was 100 but it got there quick. If you could find a RZ500 it will smoke a GSX600 and hang with the 1000. only brought them to Canada and Europe in the late 80's. Street leagle GP bike. :D
Mr. Bob

tbzep
05-07-2011, 09:09 AM
I had a RD 350 and did the same I think the top end was 100 but it got there quick. If you could find a RZ500 it will smoke a GSX600 and hang with the 1000. only brought them to Canada and Europe in the late 80's. Street leagle GP bike. :D
Mr. Bob
And being a two stroke, "smoke" is the operative word. :D

A guy used to park his RD 350 next to my bike in college, and there were a couple more bumble bee (King Kenny Roberts) painted RD's in town also. We always called any of the road going two strokes, "smokers".

bob jablonski
05-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Smoke is good My collection consistes of The Victory Vegas Ness, 2010 Yamaha XT250, 1975 RD 125, 1974 Hodaka 125 Super Combat, 1792 Yamaha 750 flat tracker, and a 1974 CanAm 175 TNT. Just sold my 2003 Husky WRX 125.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude

ghrocketman
05-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Okay Bob...your list was great until I saw ANYTHING by Hodaka on it.
Their machines were pure disasters that broke down more than they ran and actually made bikes by Maico or Bultaco seem reliable, which they were FAR from anything that resembled reliability. Maico and Bultaco even put the kikk-starter on the WRONG side of the case.
It was/is however cheaper to keep vintage Hodakas running than almost any Maico or Bultaco as those heaps have parts that often cost more than the ridiculous prices for vintage Hardly-Movingson parts.

bob jablonski
05-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Thats why it is almost cheaper to buy a Hodaka then a top end for a CanAm. Heck if you loose a kicker arm assembly for My CanAm that will set you back $105.00 (ten years ago).
A hodaka top end kit is about the same. Plus the Hodaka won me the Novice class Michigan AHRMA sieries championchip in 2003. I havent raced that seiries sence I built a house and then Starlight took off. I plan on running it at Log Road (Cold Water MI) in August and Red Bud in October. Hodaka in the 125 sportman class and the CanAm in the 250 sportsman class.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude

cas2047
05-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Smoke is good My collection consistes of The Victory Vegas Ness, 2010 Yamaha XT250, 1975 RD 125, 1974 Hodaka 125 Super Combat, 1792 Yamaha 750 flat tracker, and a 1974 CanAm 175 TNT. Just sold my 2003 Husky WRX 125.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude

That Hodaka 125 brings back memories. I had a Hodaka 125 Wombat back when I was a teenager. It had a silver tank. That's another one I wished I had kept.

cas2047
05-16-2011, 11:41 AM
I went to a local motorcycle dealer over the weekend, they happened to be having a big open house and I pretty much have narrowed things down to the Victory Vegas and or Hammer, although there were a couple of Kingpins that also looked really good too.

Actually there were a lot of really nice machines on-site, but a lot of them were sold too, but by the time I had left I was able to get a good sense of what I'm looking for and I was able to completely rule out the Harley's.

ghrocketman
05-16-2011, 12:12 PM
Awww, c'mon noww....you ruled out the "smooth as a PAINT MIXER and slow as a GARBAGE TRUCK" Hardly-Movingsons ?

cas2047
05-16-2011, 01:22 PM
For me GH it was more just a matter of the way the bike felt. The Harley's just didn't feel like a good fit, where the Victory's did. Plus I honestly would HATE to have to feel like I had to dress a certain way to "fit in" with the crowd as is the case with some but not all Harley riders.

Up until now I've mostly ridden super bikes on the street so I'm used to that "look" you get from some but not all Harley riders when you come into close proximity to them. ;)

bob jablonski
05-16-2011, 04:10 PM
106" and a six speed add the stage 2 kit (exhaust and intake upgrade and you are looking at 105 HP and 135lbs tourqe. It likes to light the tire. :D Bit it will cruze around like a kitten if you want it to. The more I ride mine the more I know I made the right desision for me.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude

cas2047
05-16-2011, 08:28 PM
106" and a six speed add the stage 2 kit (exhaust and intake upgrade and you are looking at 105 HP and 135lbs tourqe. It likes to light the tire. :D Bit it will cruze around like a kitten if you want it to. The more I ride mine the more I know I made the right desision for me.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude

I really like the sound of everything you said Bob! :D

ghrocketman
05-17-2011, 09:20 AM
I still like the almost 200 rwhp stock that a Suzuki Hayabusa delivers for roughly 1/3 the price of some Harleys. If you think 105hp is a lot in a bike, try 200 in a bike that can hook it to the pavement.
No offense intended, but 105hp does not seem like a lot to me. My only slightly modified 250cc RM250 2-stroke motocross dirtbike has like 1/6 the displacement of your average V-twin and has 50+hp at the rear wheel. The bike weighs 240lbs !

cas2047
05-17-2011, 11:29 AM
I still like the almost 200 rwhp stock that a Suzuki Hayabusa delivers for roughly 1/3 the price of some Harleys. If you think 105hp is a lot in a bike, try 200 in a bike that can hook it to the pavement.
No offense intended, but 105hp does not seem like a lot to me. My only slightly modified 250cc RM250 2-stroke motocross dirtbike has like 1/6 the displacement of your average V-twin and has 50+hp at the rear wheel. The bike weighs 240lbs !

I ride both dirt and street, but I see them as really different experiences. When I'm off road I can cut loose, raise hell and push limits. On the street I'm kicking back and enjoying the bike, the road and the scenery, so at least for me I can be happy with the 100 or 106hp cruiser. :)
But I know there are plenty of folks who want the absolute most power available and there's nothing wrong with that either. :D

ghrocketman
05-17-2011, 12:04 PM
Don't get me wrong; I think some cruisers are REALLY nice, but I have a big problem wrapping myself around the concept of some of the American brands that seem to charge mega buxx $$$ for bikes that cannot handle, accellerate, or run top end with even modest sport bikes costing 1/3 the price.
I guess I am a "Performance above ALL else" kind of guy in the dirt and on the street.
In the world of motorcycles in terms of real value for the $, the foreign brands have it hands down over the American brands.
That said with $$ being NOT in the equation, I would take ANY Victory bike over any Harley but a V-rod.

cas2047
05-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Don't get me wrong; I think some cruisers are REALLY nice, but I have a big problem wrapping myself around the concept of some of the American brands that seem to charge mega buxx $$$ for bikes that cannot handle, accellerate, or run top end with even modest sport bikes costing 1/3 the price.
I hear that GH!

I guess I am a "Performance above ALL else" kind of guy in the dirt and on the street.
In the world of motorcycles in terms of real value for the $, the foreign brands have it hands down over the American brands.
That said with $$ being NOT in the equation, I would take ANY Victory bike over any Harley but a V-rod.
You are absolutely correct, I could pick up a Kawasaki, Suzuki or Honda product with every bit as much or more power and a sporty look and feel, for less money than that of the Victory or Harley.

The only problem I have is that I love the way the Victory looks! :D

bob jablonski
05-17-2011, 04:25 PM
That is why I have more then one bike. I do more then just cruzin' Now with the Starlight retierment I can do some vintage MX, and flat track enduros again and take a leasurly?? ride on the Victory with the wife and have some fun without her.
Mr. Bob

Solomoriah
05-17-2011, 05:30 PM
I'm into "adventure riding" myself. Have a Yamaha TW-200. Geared like a tractor, likes rough terrain, doesn't require finesse, street legal... and doesn't go all that fast. A perfect bike for an old, short, fat guy like me.

On the advrider.com forums, I use the same handle. My tagline reads "likes the dirt roads."

BEC
05-17-2011, 06:05 PM
I'm into "adventure riding" myself. Have a Yamaha TW-200. Geared like a tractor, likes rough terrain, doesn't require finesse, street legal... and doesn't go all that fast. A perfect bike for an old, short, fat guy like me.

Gee, that looks like a worthy development/successor to the Suzuki RV-90 I had in high school... If I still lived in the Southwest where I could just go out the back door into the desert, I'd have to have one of those.

bob jablonski
05-17-2011, 07:16 PM

On the advrider.com forums, I use the same handle. My tagline reads "likes the dirt roads."
I worked on one of those when I owned a motorcycle shop years ago. Kinda fun toys. I worked and rode everything from a 1965 Triumph bonnie to a 2010 GSX1000R to a Puch moped. If it has 2 wheels it is cool. I have owned over 100 motorcyles through the years and got to ride lots more.
Mr. Bob

Solomoriah
05-17-2011, 08:51 PM
The TW-200 has a real cult following. Nothing else is like it. I personally love mine.

http://newcenturycomputers.net/temp/me-n-my-tw.jpg
That's what it looked like new (and clean). It's a dirt bike, so I practically never wash it... just when the clay jams up the back tire.

cas2047
05-17-2011, 09:40 PM
The TW-200 has a real cult following. Nothing else is like it. I personally love mine.

I've always liked 125's off road, but I could get to like that TW-200. That's nice looking bike.

After a real mud fest I'll give a dirtbike a quick pressure washing, and after that it gets a nice spray over of WD-40. I love the smell of WD-40 in the morning. :D

ghrocketman
05-18-2011, 08:49 AM
My former Brother-in-law has a TW-200 and he loves it.
He would go trail riding with my buddy and I in northern lower-peninsula Michigan; he could not keep up with us on our CR500 and RM250, but we took more breaks than him and he would catch up.
One advantage to riding in Grand Traverse county, Mi is ALL bikes are street legal without plates or cycle endorsements to get to the trails, except on federal/state highways !

Solomoriah
05-18-2011, 08:32 PM
If I cared about speed, I'd ride something else. But the TW is a really care-free bike.

I went about a hundred miles on mine today... it was a blast. Found a bunch of dirt roads in neighboring counties, went through two water crossings, found some sand (which isn't that common on the roads here), and took a few pictures (haven't downloaded the camera yet, but I'm hoping some of them came out good).

cas2047
05-18-2011, 08:36 PM
I went about a hundred miles on mine today... it was a blast. Found a bunch of dirt roads in neighboring counties, went through two water crossings, found some sand (which isn't that common on the roads here), and took a few pictures (haven't downloaded the camera yet, but I'm hoping some of them came out good). :)

You just can't beat that. That sounds like a great day to me. :)

Solomoriah
05-18-2011, 10:17 PM
Here's where I've been today:

http://newcenturycomputers.net/temp/Schoolhouse.jpg
This is, um, old school... :D

http://newcenturycomputers.net/temp/Barn.jpg
An old barn, on a mud road that turns to sand after a water crossing.

ghrocketman
05-19-2011, 09:28 AM
Totally agree that the TW-200 is a fun and relatively low maintenance bike that will go almost everywhere.
Great for what it is designed to do !
Brother in law had some trouble with his when he tries to push it too hard.
ANY jumping (dumb...this was his fault) is a no-no as he found on his last ride with us; the small chain is a weak-link of the bike as well for high speeds off-road.
A lot of the time we HAVE to ride faster than him to keep our two-strokes on-the-pipe.
If you don't ask the bike to do things WAY outside of it's design parameters, it is almost maint. free !

That's some GREAT riding scenery above !

Solomoriah
05-19-2011, 09:38 AM
Thanks. It was a great ride. I'm having some minor surgery today, and was concerned I might not get to ride again for a while, so I took the opportunity when it arrived.

The stock TW-200 chain is made of hardened peanut butter. I'm planning to change my chain and sprockets this winter, to something much better; not sure if I'm going O-ring or not, but about anything is better than the stocker. But since changing the countershaft sprocket on a TW involves a gasket (and thus a potential oil leak), I'm going to have the dealer do it.

ghrocketman
05-19-2011, 10:03 AM
My brother-in-law went with an O-ring chain due to the durability on the street.
He uses his bike as a runabout on the street more than off-road.
You will lose a LITTLE rear-wheel delivered power with an o-ring, but you will have to adjust FAR less often.

cas2047
05-19-2011, 12:53 PM
That's some GREAT riding scenery above !

You can say that again!

If walls could talk can you imagine the stories that old schoolhouse could tell...

bob jablonski
05-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Other fun bikes like the TW200 on my list would be the Yamaha XT225/250. Honda 230L and the Suzuki 200. Bigger wheels and a bit more top end. I have the XT250 with a FMF muffler. tops out almost 80mph.
Mr. Bob

Solomoriah
05-19-2011, 08:11 PM
The XT would be my second choice for the type of riding I do.

Ltvscout
05-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Other fun bikes like the TW200 on my list would be the Yamaha XT225/250. Honda 230L and the Suzuki 200. Bigger wheels and a bit more top end. I have the XT250 with a FMF muffler. tops out almost 80mph.
Mr. Bob
What about the good old YZ80 from the 70's? Those were cool bikes for kids back then.

Solomoriah
05-19-2011, 10:17 PM
Not bad, but I'm afraid I, at least, am a bit over the weight limit of a little bike these days... when I got my TW, I realized that I weighed two times what I had when last I owned a motorcycle (more than 20 years earlier).

ghrocketman
05-20-2011, 09:24 AM
I actually rode a 2009 YZ80 last year, which I thought would barely haul my 6' 200+lb frame around. It actually was SCARY fast for an 80; you had to wind it WAY UP TOP, but then hang on. It had zero low end of course, and was totally impractical for someone of my weight class on anything but flat terrain; fun but I will stick to my RM250. It was NOT a bike that you could just let a 12 year old loose with like the late 70's to mid 80's RM/YZ/KX/CR 80's were.

The XT250 is a bike like the TW200, but with a lot more of the good things. Better suspension travel, much more power, much better top end, larger drive chain/sprocket system, all with fuel economy about the same.

tbzep
05-20-2011, 10:52 AM
I actually rode a 2009 YZ80 last year, which I thought would barely haul my 6' 200+lb frame around. It actually was SCARY fast for an 80; you had to wind it WAY UP TOP, but then hang on. It had zero low end of course, and was totally impractical for someone of my weight class on anything but flat terrain; fun but I will stick to my RM250. It was NOT a bike that you could just let a 12 year old loose with like the late 70's to mid 80's RM/YZ/KX/CR 80's were.

The XT250 is a bike like the TW200, but with a lot more of the good things. Better suspension travel, much more power, much better top end, larger drive chain/sprocket system, all with fuel economy about the same.

We still have a Yammy TTR-90 that Kody used to ride. I get on it every now and then to check the fences and stuff. Unfortunately, I forgot to run it any last winter and the carb got all gunked up with varnish.

ghrocketman
05-20-2011, 12:04 PM
I forget to drain the carb on my RM250 almost every year.
Usually it means I tear it apart in the spring to de-gum it but since I stopped using Klotz that contains Castor (Super Techniplate) and went to Original all-synthetic Techniplate (NOT R50) it no longer gums up but then I run AvGas, which has to be stable in storage for 2yrs par federal standard. Yep, it's HIGHLY Leaded too !
Runs and SMELLS great too.

cas2047
05-20-2011, 01:16 PM
What about the good old YZ80 from the 70's? Those were cool bikes for kids back then.

That brings back memories... My friend got one brand new back in the day. We all had a blast on that thing.

ghrocketman
05-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Almost all my pals back in the late 70's/early 80's that had YZ and CR 80's blew up a piston or two a year because they always used the cheapest crap outboard 2-stroke oil and cheapest 87 octane crap gas they could find. Outboard oil and 87 octane in hot-running air-cooled 2-stroke bikes flat out SUCKS.

Solomoriah
05-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Costs more than $500.00 more, less traction on pavement, not as happy in the mud. Everything's a trade-off.

But as I say, had I not gotten a TW, the XT would have been in the running with the Honda CRF230L. Those were the contenders. Seems to me that the seat height of the XT is a bit lower, which would be a deciding factor for my 5'8" self.

bob jablonski
05-20-2011, 04:30 PM
I forget to drain the carb on my RM250 almost every year.
Usually it means I tear it apart in the spring to de-gum it but since I stopped using Klotz that contains Castor (Super Techniplate) and went to Original all-synthetic Techniplate (NOT R50) it no longer gums up but then I run AvGas, which has to be stable in storage for 2yrs par federal standard. Yep, it's HIGHLY Leaded too !
Runs and SMELLS great too.
Who stores bikes? I know a interesting individual (guess who) that rode around his back yard doing dognuts in the snow on a hotrodded XR80 singing "let it snow"
Mr. Bob

cas2047
05-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Who stores bikes? I know a interesting individual (guess who) that rode around his back yard doing dognuts in the snow on a hotrodded XR80 singing "let it snow"
Mr. Bob

Some of my riding buddies and I have studded our tires and tore it up on frozen lakes in NH in the past. Of course now it's all snowmobiles and skiing in the winter so it hasn't happened for quite some time.

bob jablonski
05-21-2011, 02:59 PM
Some of my riding buddies and I have studded our tires and tore it up on frozen lakes in NH in the past. Of course now it's all snowmobiles and skiing in the winter so it hasn't happened for quite some time.
Sheet metal screws in tires. Great traction until you hit dry pavement :D Lots of fun in a hockey rink in michigan in the late 70's. one of my heros that hasn't flown in space is Malcom Smith from On Any Sunday. He has done a bit of every type of off road riding and was competitive if he didn't win, From Trials to the Baja 1000 to the ISDE. The biggest diference from me is Hew as and still is good. I just have fun.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude

tbzep
05-21-2011, 04:34 PM
You guys might be interested in a documentary called "The Long Way Around". Ewan McGregor (Star Wars), Charley Boorman, and a support/camera crew went across Europe and Asia then hopped a boat across the Bering Strait to Alaska and on through to New York. They tested a couple of KTM's and BMW's and the KTM won out. However, KTM backed out of the deal after finding out what they planned to do and thought it would be impossible to accomplish. They ended up using the tall and top heavy BMW R1150GS.

They did another one called "The Long Way Down", going from Scotland down through Africa, but I haven't seen it.

bob jablonski
05-21-2011, 06:52 PM
You guys might be interested in a documentary called "The Long Way Around". Ewan McGregor (Star Wars), Charley Boorman, and a support/camera crew went across Europe and Asia then hopped a boat across the Bering Strait to Alaska and on through to New York. They tested a couple of KTM's and BMW's and the KTM won out. However, KTM backed out of the deal after finding out what they planned to do and thought it would be impossible to accomplish. They ended up using the tall and top heavy BMW R1150GS.

They did another one called "The Long Way Down", going from Scotland down through Africa, but I haven't seen it.
I got to see a guy go around the world on a Yamaha R1 (of all bikes!) at the motorcycle dealer expo 4 years ago. A racing buddy of mine (who used to be a suport rider on the CanAm enduro team) has a GS and road it to the arctic circle in Alaska and did the 4 corners run in 7 days on the same bike 3 years ago. I have a hard time riding 500 miles in a day let alone a Iron butt ride. He tryed the a GS (he traded for a newer one after the 4 corners) on a few dual sport rides but decided on a ATK 605 due to the bulk. Now I have to go with him on some dual sport rides with my new XT250 :(
Mr. Bob

tbzep
05-21-2011, 08:21 PM
I got to see a guy go around the world on a Yamaha R1 (of all bikes!) at the motorcycle dealer expo 4 years ago. A racing buddy of mine (who used to be a suport rider on the CanAm enduro team) has a GS and road it to the arctic circle in Alaska and did the 4 corners run in 7 days on the same bike 3 years ago. I have a hard time riding 500 miles in a day let alone a Iron butt ride. He tryed the a GS (he traded for a newer one after the 4 corners) on a few dual sport rides but decided on a ATK 605 due to the bulk. Now I have to go with him on some dual sport rides with my new XT250 :(
Mr. Bob

I used to do a lot of 400 and 500 mile days on my VFR. I have some friends in Middle TN and I'd ride up and meet them, then head farther east to Center Hill Lake and into the edge of the Cumberland Plateau. I never had time to do multiple day rides, so I'd have to do the whole thing in a day. With the extremely heavy deer population here, I don't like riding at night, so I'd do it all before it got dark. That includes down time for fuel, food, and shooting the bull. :cool: My short loop was about 400 miles. I had a super-short loop that was about 200 miles that I used to do when I only had a morning or an afternoon of free time. It was a non-stop loop as the VFR had a 5.7 gallon tank. :cool:

cas2047
05-22-2011, 04:39 PM
Sheet metal screws in tires. Great traction until you hit dry pavement :D

Exactly! :D :chuckle: